Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LeVar's Stocking Fillers - Quickfire Walrus: The Un-Wrappening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Hope I'm not moving too fast for peoples liking. I'll slow down a bit when it gets to the top and bottom 3, but as this is a quickfire Walrus, I'm just gonna fly through as fast as I can post them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

In 9th place with 14 points is
    Trigger

Green Day - Wake Me Up When September Ends

Was a big Green Day fan back in the day, kind of lost interest in them by the time I had moved on to college, but the American Idiot album came out just as I was starting sixth year, and it definitely had many a spin on the auld discman on the bus ride in to school that final year. Wake Me Up When September Ends was never really one that I revisited much in recent years and I do occasionally throw on a bit of Green Day, but definitely have a renewed interest in it after having a few listens to it for the ranking purposes.

I suppose you could say American Idiot was their payday.

In 15th place with 8 points is
    Arghus

Swans - It's Coming It's Real

The backing vocals in this are hauntingly beautiful, I was entranced after the first couple of seconds. A really relaxing yet sombre piece. In terms of fitting the category briefing, this song does exactly what I asked for on the tin, so can't fault it at all. A great pick, but as I've mentioned there were quite a lot of fantastic picks in this category.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

In 13th place with 10 points is
    Rikand

Manic Street Preachers - Archives of Pain
    The end of that tune is awesome :)
    Manics always seem to me to be simultaneously overrated and underrated. Some put them on such a pedestal I think it puts people off. I love them though, so maybe I do that too :p

In 8th place with 15 points is
    Kolido

Tears For Fears - Everybody Wants To Rule The World

Always been a big fan of this song, and have a soft spot when it comes to Tears For Fears in general. Ninety percent of the time this could easily take the top spot in most Walrus categories for me, but some new discoveries and some old favourites I hadn't heard in quite some time won over on this occasion, as Everybody Wants To Rule The World is a song I listen to very frequently.

• Advertisement

In 16th place with 7 points is
    JP Liz V1

Kelly Clarkson - Piece By Piece

This one crawled up from the bottom on repeated listens. I like the few Kelly Clarkson songs that I know, but didn't think much of this one at first. It's definitely a grower. It's no Since U Been Gone, but its pretty decent, I really ended up loving it, and will be adding it to a few playlists anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Not bad not bad, ill take it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Kolido

Always been a big fan of this song, and have a soft spot when it comes to Tears For Fears in general. Ninety percent of the time this could easily take the top spot in most Walrus categories for me, but some new discoveries and some old favourites I hadn't heard in quite some time won over on this occasion, as Everybody Wants To Rule The World is a song I listen to very frequently.

Had a feeling I went too mainstream on this category, happy with 8th place.

In 7th place with 16 points is
    Sawduck

Chip Taylor & The New Ukranians - F**k All The Perfect People

I can picture myself and a group of mates, sitting around a pub at the end of the night giving a rousing rendition of this in the midst of a big sing song session. It's a really nice and relaxing melody and I love the lyrics. It's hard to find any critical reasons why I didn't rank it higher, it's a wonderful song and would be worthy of a podium place in most rounds… these songs were all just really hard to separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Kolido

Have loved this since it was submitted to my own walrus, thibk it was very close to the top in that one too.. Great choice

• Advertisement

In 17th place with 6 points is
    Zaph

Talking Heads - Drugs

Is it really a Walrus, if Zaph doesn't throw in a Talking Heads song? I always look forward to their appearances anyway, wouldn't know too many of their songs, but always seem to like what I hear. Great beat and rhythm to it and love all the arrangements. An interesting, if not somewhat predictable, pick.

In 10th place with 13 points is
    osh

Slint - Don, Aman
    It's just kicked in for me, really liking this.
    My sing contains the lyrics "Just to think I could've left the fair with my dignity intact
    And fled from the stage with the world's second best Slint tribute act" ;)

In 6th place with 17 points is
    Reberetta

Ghost Dance - River Of No Return

Absolutely cracking choice, really loved this. I couldn't find it on Spotify which is a real shame because I want to add it to many many playlists. YouTube playlists will have to suffice. I didn't think I'd ever heard of Ghost Dance before, but the vocalists name, Anne-Marie Hurst, rings a few bells and her voice does sound familiar, so maybe I had and just forgot the band name.

In 18th place with 5 points is
    Sephiroth_dude

Alice In Chains - We Die Young

I'm partial to a bit of Alice In Chains, so really enjoyed this. Didn't quite make as much of an impact as the songs ranked above it did, but it's a great track, albeit a tad on the short side, every time I started getting really into it, it was over, which was a shame. Wouldn't have minded if it was twice as long, but that's a good thing I suppose, that I wanted more.

In 5th place with 18 points is
    Necro

Taylor Swift - Back To December

I much prefer these sorts of Taylor Swift songs to the likes of Shake It Off or We Are Never Getting Back Together, which are fun pop songs, but something like this just has so much more substance to it and showcases her voice much better. She's returned to these sort of ballady songs recently with the Folklore album and I've definitely become more interested in her as an artist as a result. Great choice, and it's one I hadn't heard before either.

In 7th place with 16 points is
    Sawduck

Chip Taylor & The New Ukranians - F**k All The Perfect People
    This is brilliant :)

In 19th place with 4 points is
    mustang shelly

Killswitch Engage - My Curse

I know the name Killswitch Engage, but don't think I've ever listened to any of their stuff before. I really enjoyed this, didn't quite leave much of an impact compared to those above it, but still really really enjoyed it, and it was a hard round to judge since there were no songs that I didn't like.

In 4th place with 19 points is
    Green&Red

Coldplay - What If

The X&Y album was peak Coldplay for me, and I am someone who has always liked them. Probably wouldn't be arsed going to see them play live or anything (not with the prices they undoubtedly charge to see them anyway), but have always been happy to throw one of their albums (especially the first four) on on Spotify and just sit back and enjoy it. What If is a great one of theirs and very good pick for this category.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

In 17th place with 6 points is
    Zaph

Talking Heads - Drugs

Is it really a Walrus, if Zaph doesn't throw in a Talking Heads song? I always look forward to their appearances anyway, wouldn't know too many of their songs, but always seem to like what I hear. Great beat and rhythm to it and love all the arrangements. An interesting, if not somewhat predictable, pick.

Not last, I'll take it

Which means the Top 3 and Bottom 3 for Bah Humbug are...

(listed alphabetically)
    Electric Nitwit
    Irish Aris
    JohnGreenFan
    phatkev
    ShaneU
    the purple tin

I'll let them sweat it out for just a few minutes before we get in to that... ;)

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    Not last, I'll take it

I've said it in the commentary, but meant to say it at the top of the round, that there were no bad songs in this round (or the other two), and there wasn't a whole lot separating most of the songs.

It came down to a mix preference and gut instinct most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Coldplay and Taylor Swift was not what I was expecting to score well in this round

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

ShaneU wrote: »
    Coldplay and Taylor Swift was not what I was expecting to score well in this round

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611396a4dd141221e6adf8bd05f41dc3518bb6ec1cf&rid=giphy.gif

I think the judge needs a random drugs test ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,343 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I know right! I figured metal would be scoring big here.

Sorry got distracted by something shiny there for a minute... back to it...

In 20th place with 3 points is
    Electric Nitwit

Black Country, New Road - Science Fair

This was really interesting, great buildup, switches gear quite a lot, and constantly found myself nodding along to it. Fits the category really well, its dark and angsty, just what I asked for, bish bash bosh, can't really fault it, just got overshadowed by songs I personally preferred a bit more.

I think the judge needs a random drugs test ;)
    I know right! I figured metal would be scoring big here.

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times...

I'M UNPREDICTABLE, MOTHAF**KAS!!!!

:pac::pac::pac:

In 3rd place with 20 points is
    JohnGreenFan

Taylor Swift feat. Bon Iver - Exile

Mentioned in the previous Taylor write up that the Folklore album is her at her best and this song is absolutely superb. Throw Bon Iver into the mix and its just a magical combination - the contrast of their two voices really works for me. Was pretty close between this and the song that ranked above it, it just came down to personal preference, but really love this one too, so excellent choice.

In 3rd place with 20 points is
    JohnGreenFan

Taylor Swift feat. Bon Iver - Exile
    I mean, she's literally walking through Christmas trees in the snow...!

• Advertisement

Sorry got distracted by something shiny there for a minute... back to it...

In 20th place with 3 points is
    Electric Nitwit

Black Country, New Road - Science Fair

This was really interesting, great buildup, switches gear quite a lot, and constantly found myself nodding along to it. Fits the category really well, its dark and angsty, just what I asked for, bish bash bosh, can't really fault it, just got overshadowed by songs I personally preferred a bit more.
    It'll get under your skin, you'll see. It's taken control of me somehow, it's weird

Advertisement