Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LeVar's Stocking Fillers - Quickfire Walrus: The Un-Wrappening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

In 21st place with 2 points is
    ShaneU

Julia Jacklin - baby jesus is nobody's baby now

It's nice and melancholy, still a Christmas song, but I don't mind because I like her voice, I like the simplicity of it, and this is something I actually would enjoy listening to on Christmas Day, because its not cheesy or festive. It definitely grew on me with each listen. Stacked category though and some others just stood out a bit more, so it ended up falling toward the back of the pack unfortunately.

"Exile" is a great song. Wouldn't have considered myself a fan of Taylor Swift before this year (and was never too keen on Bon Iver either, for that matter) but their voices work together really well on this. Folklore is a good record, I listened to Evermore too the other night and there's some good stuff there too, but I need another listen or two to digest it properly. If you took the best bits from both albums and put them together on one record, you'd have a serious Album of the Year contender.

I mean, she's literally walking through Christmas trees in the snow...!

I'm listening to the songs not watching the videos... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,343 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

In 3rd place with 20 points is
    JohnGreenFan

Taylor Swift feat. Bon Iver - Exile.

OK so I (shamefully admits) really like this song. Her newer stripped back sound is so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Lovely to see Baby Metal popping up :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Asks for darkness, depression and angst. Puts two Taylor Swift ballads in the top five

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

"Exile" is a great song. Wouldn't have considered myself a fan of Taylor Swift before this year (and was never too keen on Bon Iver either, for that matter) but their voices work together really well on this. Folklore is a good record, I listened to Evermore too the other night and there's some good stuff there too, but I need another listen or two to digest it properly. If you took the best bits from both albums and put them together on one record, you'd have a serious Album of the Year contender.

Actually only realised she had two new albums out because of the thread in the music forum - which is... entertaining, to say the least :D

In 2nd place with 21 points is
    Irish Aris

The Sisters of Mercy - This Corrosion

The name didn't ring any bells when I saw it, but I knew it straight away once I hit play… so did a little digging and see that it was used for the closing credits of The World's End. I worked in a cinema back in 2013 when The World's End was out and always enjoyed going in to tidy up after films that had class soundtracks on their closing credits ; it was like a little treat while you were working to schedule it so that you'd always land in to clear up as the credits were running to listen to a couple of tunes. A lot of the time I never bothered checking who sung the songs and when the film left the cinema I'd often forget about a lot of the good ones, so great to finally put a name to this one. It was a nice little blast from the past, because I bloody well loved that job, and listening to this reminds me of the time, brings back good memories, and there isn't even a whiff of Christmas about it.

ShaneU wrote: »
    Asks for darkness, depression and angst. Puts two Taylor Swift ballads in the top five

Also asked for absolutely no Christmas Songs, and yet... yours was literally all about xmas... :D

Didn't hold that against it, but people in glass houses and all that...

Also, Walrus are open to interpretation...

Bringing up the rear and getting only 1 point for their effort is
    the purple tin

Desire Marea feat. Gyre - Studies In Black Trauma

This was an interesting one in the sense that I enjoyed it every time I was listening to it, but I would then almost instantly forget about it. Then it'd come on again, I'd think "oh yeah this one, this is pretty cool" and yet I'd forget about it straight away. Most of the songs in the category I was looking forward to hearing them again when they rolled around on the playlist, but I never had that same anticipation for this one, which dragged it down the ranks unfortunately, but as I've said this category is very strong and it is a very good piece of music. One of those cases where something has to be last, despite me still liking it.

• Advertisement

Also asked for absolutely no Christmas Songs, and yet... yours was literally all about xmas... :D

Didn't hold that against it, but people in glass houses and all that...

Also, Walrus are open to interpretation...

It's hardly a traditional Christmas song now is it. You also asked for depressing songs and put Everybody wants to Rule the World in 8th? One of the most uplifting songs there is! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Irish Aris

Watching the video now - ah, the 80s! :D

Which means in 1st place and getting the maximum 22 points is
    phatkev

Wintersleep - Orca

I'm almost at a loss for words on this one. No thoughts I put down will do it justice, not only was it the cherry on top for an incredibly strong category, but even only after a handful of listens this is automatically up there alongside some of my all-time favourite songs. It’s a stunning piece of music that even managed to warm my cold dead heart. I won't go as far to say as it moved me to tears, because that would just be waxing lyrical, but definitely in that ballpark when it comes to the effect the song had on me. Bah Humbug indeed, who'd wanna listen to xmas songs when masterpieces such as this exist. Stand out song of the entire Walrus, thanks for submitting this one, best xmas present ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Irish Aris

The name didn't ring any bells when I saw it, but I knew it straight away once I hit play… so did a little digging and see that it was used for the closing credits of The World's End. I worked in a cinema back in 2013 when The World's End was out and always enjoyed going in to tidy up after films that had class soundtracks on their closing credits ; it was like a little treat while you were working to schedule it so that you'd always land in to clear up as the credits were running to listen to a couple of tunes. A lot of the time I never bothered checking who sung the songs and when the film left the cinema I'd often forget about a lot of the good ones, so great to finally put a name to this one. It was a nice little blast from the past, because I bloody well loved that job, and listening to this reminds me of the time, brings back good memories, and there isn't even a whiff of Christmas about it.

Love Sisters Of Mercy

Irish Aris

Don't know this song, but on first listen it feels like it'd be more at home in Category 3 - I get "oomph" from that moreso than depressing/angsty!

Interesting story behind it though, seems like it was an early example of a diss track:

https://genius.com/The-sisters-of-mercy-this-corrosion-lyrics
    In 1985, The Sister of Mercy split, with bass player Craig Adams and guitarist Wayne Hussey going on to form The Mission. This song attacks The Mission as Eldritch considered The Mission’s sound to be a copy – or corrosive version – of The Sisters Of Mercy. The lyrics are a parody of the clichéd meaningless rock lyrics that Eldritch viewed Hussey’s writing as.

It's hardly a traditional Christmas song now is it. You also asked for depressing songs and put Everybody wants to Rule the World in 8th? One of the most uplifting songs there is! :rolleyes:

Keep bitching, and I'll quickly go move you into last place in the remaining two round... ;)

giphy.gif

Go ahead, don't care. Stick to the categories you asked for or they're completely pointless.

'Tis the usual suspects giving out anyway. Luckily, I don't give a damn what you lot think, because I've got a letter...

giphy.gif

Go ahead, don't care. Stick to the categories you asked for or they're completely pointless.

You're being a bit of an ass about it now.

I swear I'll turn this car around.

Bringing up the rear and getting only 1 point for their effort is
    the purple tin

Desire Marea feat. Gyre - Studies In Black Trauma
    Holy hell! You think this was forgettable?! It's horrific and terrifying, and I think I mean that as a good thing. No idea if I like it but it's sure as hell powerful and unchristmassy. I think you've got your table upside down ;)

No, as it plays on as I type I really like this, it's incredible

Edit - the second half gets a bit more "standard", shame

• Advertisement

Leaderboard after Round 1...

username Bah Humbug The Selection Box CHOONS Total
    phatkev 22 22
    Irish Aris 21 21
    JohnGreenFan 20 20
    Green&Red 19 19
    Necro 18 18
    Reberetta 17 17
    Sawduck 16 16
    Kolido 15 15
    Trigger 14 14
    osh 13 13
    Homer J. Fong 12 12
    Hello 2D Person Below 11 11
    Rikand 10 10
    khalessi 9 9
    Arghus 8 8
    JP Liz V1 7 7
    Zaph 6 6
    Sephiroth_dude 5 5
    mustang shelly 4 4
    Electric Nitwit 3 3
    ShaneU 2 2
    the purple tin 1 1

Will kick off the next category in a few minutes, just gotta go give Shane a kick up the arse...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

In my defense, the melody might be uplifting but the theme and lyrics are kinda dark, one of the key words for the category which is why I picked it.

On to Round 2, The Selection Box

In 11th place with 11 points is
    Green&Red

Jon Pardi - Love You From Here

This song was up and down the table so much, that it wouldn't surprise me if Jon Pardi had whiplash. I went from enjoying it, to really liking it, to thinking actually maybe it was a bit too basic, back to really liking it again, then not so much, then absolutely loving it again. It went on quite the journey before finally settling here… Really liked it, the fiddles are great, just up against some very heavy hitters.

In 12th place with 10 points is
    JP Liz V1

Thomas Rhett - Die A Happy Man

Classic country ballad, really like it, had heard a couple of Thomas Rhett songs before and really like his voice. It’s the type of song I'd throw on at the end of a long day when I just want to switch my brain off without having to concentrate on a TV Show or get stuck into a book, and could just listen to this while sitting down with a Jack Daniels and Coke and just getting lost in my thoughts. Great pick.

There were 21 songs (one song got submitted by 2 people) in the Selection Box.

-1 song was an Aussie/Comedy hybrid
    -1 song was a Choccie/Comedy hybrid
    -1 other song was just pure Chocolate
    -3 other songs were also Comedy based
    -5 songs were 21st Century Country
    -7 more Aussie acts joined in the fun
    -2 Kiwi acts entered the fray
    -and 1 South Korean Girl Group for good measure
    Bonus points for the hybrids, obviously?

In 10th place with 13 points each are
    Electric Nitwit & Rikand

Chef (Isaac Hayes) - Chocolate Salty Balls

Two people had the same idea of hitting two of the five sub-categories with one glaringly obvious songs. 12 year-old me would have this in the top spot for sure, some of the shine has worn off as I have gotten older, but still a great song, great choice, lots of fun to sing along to, once again just another really high quality round.

Bonus points for the hybrids, obviously?

Eh... no... ;)

Eh... no... ;)
    Boooooo!!

• Advertisement

In 13th place with 9 points is
    Reberetta

The Lancashire Hotpots - He's Turned Emo

I enjoyed this a hell of a lot more than I thought I would, on the first listen I was a bit unsure about it, but it's a bit of craic, humorous enough, and the North of England accents and twangy instruments really won me over. Comedy songs can be very hit or miss, but this one worked for me, might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it'll do for me.

Advertisement