Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LeVar's Stocking Fillers - Quickfire Walrus: The Un-Wrappening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

In 9th place with 14 points is
    Irish Aris

The Presets - This Boy's In Love

Really like The Presets, remember listening to them a lot towards the end of the 2000s and thinking they were gonna really blow up, but they never got anywhere near the recognition I figured they would. This Boy's In Love is good, hadn't listened to it in years, but really like it, although Talk Like That might have been a contender to win the category had you gone for that instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

In 10th place with 13 points each are Electric Nitwit & Rikand

Chef (Isaac Hayes) - Chocolate Salty Balls
    Rikand, you're a genius ;)

In 14th place with 8 points is
    Kolido

Temper Trap - Sweet Disposition

Never really fully understood the appeal this song had for people back when it first came out. Used to always think it was overplayed and overrated and generally would avoid it. However, it grew on me quite a bit when I listened to it again there recently and I do genuinely enjoy it these days, like it even more about a few extra listens for this and it crept up a few more spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

ShaneU wrote: »
    Coldplay and Taylor Swift was not what I was expecting to score well in this round

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

In 9th place with 14 points is
    Irish Aris

The Presets - This Boy's In Love

Really like The Presets, remember listening to them a lot towards the end of the 2000s and thinking they were gonna really blow up, but they never got anywhere near the recognition I figured they would. This Boy's In Love is good, hadn't listened to it in years, but really like it, although Talk Like That might have been a contender to win the category had you gone for that instead.

Ah, shoot, I was between This Boy's In Love, Talk Like That and My People. Still though, I'm glad that you know and like The Presets.

• Advertisement

In 8th place with 15 points is
    Necro

Bebe Rexha feat. Florida Georgia Line - Meant To Be

Familiar with some of Florida Georgia Line's stuff, I think they're fine in general, but have never really had too much of an appeal for me. I felt a bit of that same indifference at the beginning of this song, but then Bebe Rexha gets involved in the mix and it won me over. Great mix of Country and Pop, really love this sort of hybrid, definitely the sort of song I was hoping for by restricting it to the past 10 years of Country. Good pick.

In 15th place with 7 points is
    Sephiroth_dude

Karnivool - Roquefort

Really liked this one, never heard of them before. Great energy to it and I like that you went for a live version. Reminded me of going to gigs, which I have hugely missed this year and will never take for granted again. Will be spending a lot more time in Whelans and The Academy when they're back up and running, don't even care whether I know the bands or not, in fairness some of the best gigs end up being bands you never heard of before.

In 7th place with 16 points is
    mustang shelly

Delta Goodrem - Innocent Eyes

Was a big Neighbours fan back in the day, so was very familiar with Delta Goodrem's music, since they even wrote it into the show that her character was a musician. Innocent Eyes is my favourite song of hers too, so you were right on the money with this one. Great vocals, great piano, great song, could just close me eyes and be transported back to a simpler time listening to this one.

In 16th place with 6 points is
    Zaph

Liz Phair - White Chocolate Space Egg

Funnily enough, when I posted the categories, I predicted that if Zaph entered he'd go for this song. Wasn't too familiar with it, but had heard it once or twice before, and I'm familiar with another couple of Liz Phair songs (again because she's a recurring artist for Zaph around these here parts). Great song, nothing bad to say about it, was a good choice, just a really stacked category once again.

In 3rd place with 20 points is
    JohnGreenFan

Taylor Swift feat. Bon Iver - Exile

Mentioned in the previous Taylor write up that the Folklore album is her at her best and this song is absolutely superb. Throw Bon Iver into the mix and its just a magical combination - the contrast of their two voices really works for me. Was pretty close between this and the song that ranked above it, it just came down to personal preference, but really love this one too, so excellent choice.

This would win for me, great song

• Advertisement

In 6th place with 17 points is
    JohnGreenFan

BLACKPINK - How You Like That

Wasn't a whole lot of love for K-Pop at all in this selection box with this being the sole entry, which is a shame because was looking forward to a couple of more Korean treats. Not to everyone's tastes of course, but like Bourneville when it comes to choccies, K-Pop is a genre for which I have a sweet tooth, and BLACKPINK are definitely one of my go to groups in the genre. Great choice.

In 17th place with 5 points is
    Arghus

Sturgill Simpson - It Ain't All Flowers

This was quite the psychadelic country rock trip. Am a fan of genre fusions, so really enjoyed this. Have seen the name Sturgill Simpson before, but don't think I've ever heard any of his stuff. Shall be rectifying that and checking out some more of his work over the next few weeks. Great song, can't fault it all, simply a case of me being for spoilt for choice with all the great tunes in this one, and it kept falling further back down the rankings unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

khalessi wrote: »
    Love Sisters Of Mercy
    What a blast from the past. I have some albums somewhere, haven't listened to em in donkeys years.

In 5th place with 18 points is
    Deleted User

The Jezabels - Endless Summer

Well I really like the only other Jezabels song I know, which I voted top spot in your Surlaw, so had high expectations for this one… and it certainly didn't let me down. I like it even better than Come Alive, its just a beautifully infectious song. As with the previous category, the Top 5 in this one are just next level songs that have become instant favourites for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,343 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

In 15th place with 7 points is
    Sephiroth_dude

Karnivool - Roquefort

Oh this is a great new discovery! Loving this song :)

In 18th place with 4 points is
    khalessi

You Am I - Heavy Heart

Never heard these guys before, but really enjoyed this song. Very chill and relaxing, it was an oasis of calm amidst some of the busier songs in this round. Sometimes its hard to beat a nice simple stripped back '90s tune from a bunch of Aussies. Not much else to say about this, great choice, just couldn't infiltrate some of the tougher competition in this round.

In 14th place with 8 points is
    Kolido

Temper Trap - Sweet Disposition

Never really fully understood the appeal this song had for people back when it first came out. Used to always think it was overplayed and overrated and generally would avoid it. However, it grew on me quite a bit when I listened to it again there recently and I do genuinely enjoy it these days, like it even more about a few extra listens for this and it crept up a few more spots.

Scored poorly for me on someone else's Walrus as well, dont understand it, one of the best songs of the last 20 years

In 4th place with 19 points is
    phatkev

Angie McMahon - Keeping Time

Firstly, that guitar riff is class. Secondly, I've never heard of Angie McMahon before but that is one amazing voice. I'm a big fan of a strong female vocal and this is up there with the best of them. Another excellent choice from you, even if your song for the last round is pure sh*te and you get last place, this and Orca have done more than enough to earn you massive props from me.

Which means the Top 3 and Bottom 3 for this round are...

(again, in alphabetical order)
    Hello 2D Person Below
    osh
    Sawduck
    ShaneU
    the purple tin
    Trigger

They can sweat for a couple of minutes before I reveal those ones... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,098 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Whether you love or hate her, Taylor Swift is a talented songwriter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

In 18th place with 4 points is
    khalessi

You Am I - Heavy Heart

Never heard these guys before, but really enjoyed this song. Very chill and relaxing, it was an oasis of calm amidst some of the busier songs in this round. Sometimes its hard to beat a nice simple stripped back '90s tune from a bunch of Aussies. Not much else to say about this, great choice, just couldn't infiltrate some of the tougher competition in this round.

Does this mean I am not going to win??
    giphy.gif

In 19th place with 3 points is
    the purple tin

Johnny Cash - The Chicken In Black

Enjoyable song, funny concept, the chorus had me singing along and tapping my toe, it was simply a case of just not liking it as much as the rest of the songs that ranked higher. I reckon if you ever host a Walrus, I'll be finding myself down towards the bottom quite a lot, because you always seem to end up down that side of things when I'm judging, which is never intentional, its just how the cookie seems to crumble sadly.

In 3rd place with 20 points is
    ShaneU

Six60 - Never Enough

After only one listen, found myself singing along to this one each time I listened to it, and as well as the sing-a-long-ability factor, it has a great rhythm to it, very catchy tune indeed. Nothing but praise for this one, would've topped many other rounds I've hosted, but the ones above it just blew me away altogether in this instance.

In 20th place with 2 points is
    Trigger

Kevin Bloody Wilson - Hey Santa Clause

I'll give it big kudos for genuinely funny lyrics and for traversing two categories, The Laughter Lounge and From a Land Down Under, the lispy sister was genuinely hilarious, but musically it just didn't hold up against the competition. Really enjoyed it, and it sucks that even songs I like are getting such low points in this game.

In 5th place with 18 points is
    Deleted User

The Jezabels - Endless Summer

Glad you liked it. :)

I'd also recommend giving Look of Love a listen, when you've a free moment. It's another very poppy and infectious one by them.

In 2nd place with 21 points is
    Deleted User

Colter Wall - Kate McCannon

Absolutely cracking song altogether. Haven't heard anything from Colter Wall before, but gonna rectify that immediately because if the rest of his stuff is even close to being this good, I'm in for an experience and a half. Another absolutely cracking choice, was really close between the top three here.

Down in last place and walking away with only 1 point is
    osh

Ivor Cutler - Good Morning! How Are You? Shut Up!

Comedy is subjective of course, but this didn't appeal to me much at all. Feels very Python-esque, and anyone who was in session for my Movie Walrus, may remember me saying that I didn't care very much for Monty Python. Queue all the boo-ing and cries of uproar over that statement, but I stand by it. Sorry osh, 'twas a bit of a swing and a miss with this. It's not that I even think it's bad, I was just a bit indifferent to it overall.

In 19th place with 3 points is
    the purple tin

Johnny Cash - The Chicken In Black

Enjoyable song, funny concept, the chorus had me singing along and tapping my toe, it was simply a case of just not liking it as much as the rest of the songs that ranked higher. I reckon if you ever host a Walrus, I'll be finding myself down towards the bottom quite a lot, because you always seem to end up down that side of things when I'm judging, which is never intentional, its just how the cookie seems to crumble sadly.

I like this

Which means in 1st place and walking away with 22 points in this round is
    Sawduck

Kimbra - Top of the World

Well the Kiwis have come out Top of the World in this round anyway, with both New Zealand artists featured earning a spot in the Top 3. This one hooked me straight away, great combination of tribal music mixed with contemporary. I've never paid Kimbra much heed as an artist having only previously known her from Somebody That I Used To Know with Gotye, but will definitely be having a look at more of her solo stuff based on this. Excellent choice.

• Advertisement

Two thirds of the way there and phatkev is still out in front, but there are a handful of people still very much in contention and any of them could still walk away with it, depending on the final round placements.

On the other end of the board, it's not looking great for the purple tin... sorry purple... :(

username Bah Humbug The Selection Box CHOONS Total
    phatkev 22 19 41
    Sawduck 16 22 38
    JohnGreenFan 20 17 37
    Irish Aris 21 14 35
    Necro 18 15 33
    Hello 2D Person Below 11 21 32
    Homer J. Fong 12 18 30
    Green&Red 19 11 30
    Reberetta 17 9 26
    Rikand 10 13 23
    Kolido 15 8 23