Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LeVar's Stocking Fillers - Quickfire Walrus: The Un-Wrappening

Options
  • 16-12-2020 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭

My Christmas Stockings have been crammed full of songs over the past few days, I was up until 7am listening and just having a final listen to everything and making any last minute adjustments, but will be ready to kick off the reveal circa. 18.30 this evening

Welcome to the Un-Wrappening...

giphy.gif

A Reminder of The Categories:
    1. Bah Humbug
    I'm sick of all the festive cheer and uplifting cheesy xmas music, so I don't want any xmas songs in my stocking this year... instead give me something that is the complete opposite, something moody, something dark, something depressing, and/or something angsty, etc. because those things are more likely to bring me happiness

2. The Selection Box
    Selection Boxes are the best part of the holiday season, so I want a category that will hopefully be a complete mish-mash of genres and styles, so I'm gonna give you 5 subcategories for this one, all you have to do is pick the category you find most appealing and send me a song that fits it (to be clear, I'm only looking for 1 song here total)
    Pick One of the Following:
    (i)No Country For Old Men ; any Country song released in the last 10 years
    (ii)Special K ; any song from a K-Pop band
    (iii)The Laughter Lounge ; any parody or comedy song
    (iv)From a Land Down Under ; any song from an Australian or New Zealand artist
    (v)The Chocolate Bite ; any song with "Chocolate" in the song title

3. All I Want for Christmas is... CHOONS
    Looking for something upbeat and energetic, that you get excited about when it randomly comes on in the club/on the radio, possibly leads to you breaking out the air-guitar, or potentially up throwing shapes on the dancefloor if that's the sort of thing you're in to - can be from any genre, about anything (doesn't have to be a xmas song, preferably it wouldn't be, but you can if you want). It's essentially a wildcard category, but something with a bit of umph to it.

and a Reminder of The Victims Contestants:

Necro
    the purple tin
    ShaneU
    JP Liz V1
    Sawduck
    Green&Red
    Kolido
    Trigger
    mustang shelly
    Zaph
    Irish Aris
    Electric Nitwit
    Rikand
    Sephiroth_dude
    osh
    Arghus
    JohnGreenFan
    Reberetta
    Hello 2D Person Below
    phatkev
    Homer J. Fong
    khalessi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

To whet the appetite, here are the songs I would have personally picked for each category/sub-category...

Bah Humbug
    The Pretty Reckless - Make Me Wanna Die

No Country For Old Men
    The Band Perry - Better Dig Two

Special K
    EVERGLOW - DUN DUN

The Laughter Lounge
    The Axis of Awesome - Rage of Thrones

From a Land Down Under
    The Veronicas - Biting My Tongue

The Chocolate Bite
    BABYMETAL - Gimme Chocolate!!

All I Want for Christmas is... CHOONS
    HAIM - Forever

I actually listened to these as a pallet cleanser in between judging each Round...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,366 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

The Pretty Reckless have a couple of good songs alright and I had completely forgotten about them. Thanks for reminding me of them :cool:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Well that's me fcuked so going by what LeVar's posted. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,830 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

So what you're saying is if you didn't pick songs with female vocalists you lose :pac:

Zaph wrote: »
    Well that's me fcuked so going by what LeVar's posted. :D

Ah yes, I love it when people get the nervous sweats early and have to wait the rest of the day to be put out of their misery...

You should know by now though Zaph...

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

ShaneU wrote: »
    So what you're saying is if you didn't pick songs with female vocalists you lose :pac:

I actually hadn't noticed that until after I'd picked those 7. 'Twas but a happy coincidence. If you want to read too much into it and psych yourself out of it before the reveal even starts though, I'm good with that... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I love LeVar reveals, he doesn't hold back. Looking forward to this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

The Laughter Lounge
    The Axis of Awesome - Rage of Thrones
    I very much approve of the swearing in that :D
    I often think joke songs lose their steam after about 30s but that was good!

Kolido wrote: »
    I love LeVar reveals, he doesn't hold back. Looking forward to this :)

Overall the standard was pretty damn high this time around, and I liked just about everything (the worst I could say about anything was 'meh' or 'just not for me'), and no one was stupid enough to submit Creedance Clearwater Revival again, so no big rants or anything, but still plenty of controversial decisions (as per usual when it comes to me) that will still have people throwing their toys out of the pram I imagine.

As an FYI to everyone, because of the quick turnaround on this, the notes will be pretty rough, likely contradictory, and full of errors... just how I like it... ;)

The Chocolate Bite
    BABYMETAL - Gimme Chocolate!!
    I knew of Babymetal but I'm not sure if I'd ever listened to them before. What in the name of ****? :D
    I mean, it's exactly what I was expecting but it still caught me off guard!

LeVar, I was thinking, what if I offer to add my score in this to your score in the advent calendar ;)

• Advertisement

I knew of Babymetal but I'm not sure if I'd ever listened to them before. What in the name of ****? :D

LeVar, I was thinking, what if I offer to add my score in this to your score in the advent calendar ;)

Sure, if you want, it probably won't help you at all as I'm not gonna change where your songs ended up, but I'll take a couple of extra points for free... :pac:

I'll still end up with the Wooden Spoon in Advent Calendar, even with free points being handed out...

Sure, if you want, it probably won't help you at all as I'm not gonna change where your songs ended up, but I'll take a couple of extra points for free... :pac:
    To be fair, you're 15pts off the next place, my points wouldn't make a dent in that :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

tenor.gif?itemid=5676787

Necro wrote: »
    tenor.gif?itemid=5676787

Almost, almost. Just finished final listens and done up scoreboards and what not. Gonna have a cup of coffee and something to eat and then we'll get started in about 45 minutes or so.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

I don't have a good feeling about this one, my choices were a bit random

• Registered Users Posts: 85,428 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Are all 3 categories reveal tonight, you had a hectic night and day so LeVar

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Are all 3 categories reveal tonight, you had a hectic night and day so LeVar

Yes all 3 tonight, no messing about from me, just full throttle Walrus non-stop. I can sleep when its over. :D

Will be getting going in a few minutes.

Will be starting with Bah Humbug, but as I'll probably forget during the chaos between rounds as I rush to tie up any loose ends, here are some stats from my Selection Box...

There were 21 songs (one song got submitted by 2 people) in the Selection Box.

-1 song was an Aussie/Comedy hybrid
    -1 song was a Choccie/Comedy hybrid
    -1 other song was just pure Chocolate
    -3 other songs were also Comedy based
    -5 songs were 21st Century Country
    -7 more Aussie acts joined in the fun
    -2 Kiwi acts entered the fray
    -and 1 South Korean Girl Group for good measure

Now get the popcorn out because we're getting un-Christmassy in the very next post as Bah Humbug gets underway...

And I'll be working me way out from the middle songs towards the tops and bottoms (standard Walrus stuff)... ;)

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ohhh looking forward to this!

I've got a Salted Caramel Ice Cream Porter open and youtube awaiting instructions on the tele, let's go!

• Advertisement

Ohhh looking forward to this!
    You're needed elsewhere ;)

Sorry, got confused over which number I had to kick off with, but I got it now, I hope...

Let's Go!

In 12th place with 11 points is
    Deleted User

Penderecki - Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima

Well this was absolutely chilling, but also f**king fantastic, a really cool eeriness to it, really intersting piece of music, and I absolutely loved it. Feels like the score to a horror film and that's right up my alley. Excellent choice altogether. There were songs I enjoyed overall just that little bit more, but in terms of giving me the opposite of Christmas which I asked for, this is spot on.

Sorry, got confused over which number I had to kick off with, but I got it now, I hope...

Let's Go!

Deleted User

I nearly submitted this for Necro's Halloween one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Let's Go!

Deleted User

Well this was absolutely chilling, but also f**king fantastic, a really cool eeriness to it, really intersting piece of music, and I absolutely loved it. Feels like the score to a horror film and that's right up my alley. Excellent choice altogether. There were songs I enjoyed overall just that little bit more, but in terms of giving me the opposite of Christmas which I asked for, this is spot on.
    I'm nearly sure that this piece was in Twin Peaks The return.

Part 8. One of the best bits of telly ever made.

In 11th place with 12 points is
    Deleted User

Martha Wainwright - Bloody Mother F**king Assh*le

First listen through I was a bit indifferent to this, was the last song I had listened to for this round, and the standard was so high, this initally felt a bit meh, but on repeated listens it definitely grew on me. I had heard some Martha Wainwright before, really like her voice, and it lends itself really well to a song like this.

In 13th place with 10 points is
    Rikand

Manic Street Preachers - Archives of Pain

I've always enjoyed the Manic Street Preachers whenever I've listened to them, but I've never dove too deeply into their discography and only know a few of the big hits, so hadn't heard this one before. It has definitely spurred me to explore their entire catalogue at some point because I really enjoyed this. There was a couple of songs in the middle of the pack here that were really hard to separate as the standard was pretty high across the board, so this is still a very good position.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Oh dear, I don't think this is going to end well for me based on the first few songs :pac:

In 10th place with 13 points is
    osh

Slint - Don, Aman

Got in to this instantly, was on board when I thought it was just six and a half minutes of the same few chords and very samey but enjoyable vocal, and then it kicks it up a gear and I liked it even more. Definitely an eeriness to it that I really like, might slip off for a few minutes during family gatherings over the next few weeks and have a listen to this song for a few minutes when I need to cheer myself up a bit, after the merriment and good cheer depresses me.

In 14th place with 9 points is
    khalessi

The Smiths - Girlfriend In a Coma

I only really know a handful of The Smiths songs, so this was a new one for me. Really liked it, Morrissey really has a fantastic voice, the song has a really nice melody, and especially liked the drumline. The somewhat uptempo melody contrasting the dark tone of the lyrics is great. Bit on the short side, but that works well for this one actually… short and sweet.

• Advertisement

In 9th place with 14 points is
    Trigger

Green Day - Wake Me Up When September Ends

Was a big Green Day fan back in the day, kind of lost interest in them by the time I had moved on to college, but the American Idiot album came out just as I was starting sixth year, and it definitely had many a spin on the auld discman on the bus ride in to school that final year. Wake Me Up When September Ends was never really one that I revisited much in recent years and I do occasionally throw on a bit of Green Day, but definitely have a renewed interest in it after having a few listens to it for the ranking purposes.

Advertisement