Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

They have probably done their homework and figured out that the majority of their sales into Ireland are less than the €150.00

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Is Brexit the end for Irish customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Is Brexit the end for Irish customers?

No, not by a long shot. The biggest issue is people not understanding what's happening.

Ireland (and other countries no doubt) is just so conditioned to the EU and everything being in free circulation that this is just all alien. In a few months it'll be normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

We’ll adapt. Retailers will adapt. There’ll be bumps and a learning curve, but in reality we probably should be taking advantage of being part of the big Eurozone single market anyway.

The reality of it is we remain connected to the world’s largest single market in terms of volume of trade. It’s still the most vibrant consumer market on the planet.

The Irish market is small, but it’s buoyant, has high spending power and is equivalent to say Denmark, Finland or Norway. It’s far easier to physically access than the likes of New Zealand, and is in EU and Eurozone.

People will find different ways of buying online, doing business etc etc .

The U.K. also isn’t entirely cut off by Brexit. It’s just going to be more of a pain in the rear to interact with. So it’s more a case of it becoming less competitive, rather than just disappearing out of reach.

It creates as many opportunities here as it takes them away. So it’s just a case of learning to deal with a slightly different environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Mod - You have already posted this on the Amazon thread in Consumer Issues. Please don't cross post

Jaysus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

AutoTuning wrote: »
    We’ll adapt. Retailers will adapt. There’ll be bumps and a learning curve, but in reality we probably should be taking advantage of being part of the big Eurozone single market anyway.

The reality of it is we remain connected to the world’s largest single market in terms of volume of trade. It’s still the most vibrant consumer market on the planet.

The Irish market is small, but it’s buoyant, has high spending power and is equivalent to say Denmark, Finland or Norway. It’s far easier to physically access than the likes of New Zealand, and is in EU and Eurozone.

People will find different ways of buying online, doing business etc etc .

The U.K. also isn’t entirely cut off by Brexit. It’s just going to be more of a pain in the rear to interact with. So it’s more a case of it becoming less competitive, rather than just disappearing out of reach.

It creates as many opportunities here as it takes them away. So it’s just a case of learning to deal with a slightly different environment.

In relation to the piece in bold, unfortunately geography is against us in terms of buying from the larger eurozone. Delivery costs and the fact that many retailers just don't send to Ireland mean we will be at a disadvantage in terms of online shopping regardless of how you look at this. Couple it with the fact that Ireland just hasn't really stepped up to the mark in providing solid online shopping options to date because they were competing with the UK high street brands means it's a bit of a dismal vista even beyond amazon. Even just thinking of where I tend to buy clothes,shoes, cosmetics, there really aren't competing forces available to us outside of the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Nicks delight

I signed up to German Amazon today. It was dead easy to set up an account with them and the added advantage of having the choice to be translated into English. Sure, delivery might take a couple of days longer, but that's fine with me. Europe is a big place and there are plenty of product options nowadays so we might see some different products...maybe better, cheaper than UK and most of it will be tax free as in there will be no added extra taxes apart from what is already baked in to EU. Doubt I will use Parcel Motel anymore as i did when ordering from UK Amazon when UK is out of EU. With every challenging change there will be new interesting solutions. On the positive note/side....Does this mean we will get back the booze cruise ferry between Ireland and England...tax free allowance on the booze and cigarettes and all that? One lives in hope even if i don't smoke. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

I signed up to German Amazon today. It was dead easy to set up an account

You don't need to set up a new account. Your amazon.co.uk account works on all the european sites. That's what I do.

Or is there an advantage of setting up a whole new account?

You don't need to set up a new account. Your amazon.co.uk account works on all the european sites. That's what I do.

Or is there an advantage of setting up a whole new account?

Technically i think you might be right, but you still have to sign up. When I tried my UK sign-in details it did not recognize them until I signed up to Amazon .de with the same details...Then it recognized me, but you do get a new blank transaction history of bought and sold items... Anyway i think it is cool that it works. I would have signed up for the french one but i don't read or speak French, so i cant even find a translation button if they have one. On the German site you can easily change languages or just search Google for German Amazon in English. On the French site its either hidden deeper in the settings or non-existent

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Technically i think you might be right, but you still have to sign up. When I tried my UK sign-in details it did not recognize them until I signed up to Amazon .de with the same details...Then it recognized me, but you do get a new blank transaction history of bought and sold items... Anyway i think it is cool that it works. I would have signed up for the french one but i don't read or speak French, so i cant even find a translation button if they have one. On the German site you can easily change languages or just search Google for German Amazon in English. On the French site its either hidden deeper in the settings or non-existent

If you search in Chrome it gives you the option to translate all the European Amazon sites into English. Probably does it with other sites too but I've only ever used it for Amazon

• Advertisement

Thank you Still Thinking, thats helpful. Will investigate how it works and try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭corkie

touts wrote: »
    How long does delivery take to come from Germany?

I ordered something small (USI Stylus Pen) on the 1st Dec (night of 30th here).
    Was given an expected delivery on site of 'Arriving 9 Dec - 16 Dec'.

It arrived today 15/12, even with how busy AnPost is this time of year, not bad to get it a day early.

The site gives an estimated on the delivery, so it will probably depend on size etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Looks like for the next 6 months I'll still be using the UK site for everything under 22 Euro.
    I find Amazon.de is more expensive for nearly everything I purchase. Add the flat del charge of nearly 8 Euro to Ireland (It's 4 Euro to the UK...) and that will still make it more expensive than the UK site - possibly even for individual small items come 1st July when we pay VAT on all items (no 22 Euro exception). The only cost benefit is to save up an order and just pay the one del charge - but most of the time it's small individual items I ad-hoc buy when needed. I have UK Prime which makes a big diff.

Just have to wait and see how much Amazon UK becomes I guess....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

A couple of weeks I ordered something from Amazon for me to pick up at a post office in Limerick, and that worked well.

But now, trying to specify the same post office as my Amazon pickup point, it only brings up UK locations. Am I missing something?

Louche Lad wrote: »
    A couple of weeks I ordered something from Amazon for me to pick up at a post office in Limerick, and that worked well.

But now, trying to specify the same post office as my Amazon pickup point, it only brings up UK locations. Am I missing something?

BREXIT Problems? Check the courier threads with them shutting down services as well.

MBSnr wrote: »
    Looks like for the next 6 months I'll still be using the UK site for everything under 22 Euro.
    I find Amazon.de is more expensive for nearly everything I purchase. ......

I have UK Prime which makes a big diff.

Just have to wait and see how much Amazon UK becomes I guess....

With you having Prime your getting free delivery, Are going to keep the subscription?

I not a regular amazon purchaser, so forking out for prime didn't make sense.

But am I missing something where .de works out more expensive?

Example: -

Belkin USB-IF Certified 2.0 USB-A to USB Type C (USB-C) Charge Cable
    Amazon UK: - £9.99 + £6.00 (Shipping) ~~ €17.70
    Amazon DE: - €10.90 + €7.60 shipping ~~ €18.50

Argos.ie: - €17.70

I know bad example where it works out cheaper to buy locally, which I did recently.
    I know you get free shipping if your order is over the £20 (~~ €22.12), but risk exceeding the €22 limitation which expires in 6 months anyway.

Above doesn't include the cost of using drop shippers if you need to use them because they won't ship items directly.

I also ordered on 1st (.de) something where Postage & Packing was €4.00 (arrived today).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

corkie wrote: »
    With you having Prime your getting free delivery, Are going to keep the subscription?

I paid Prime for the year upfront and it runs until April 2021 - that is of course if they still honour their shipping for free to Ireland with Prime after 1st Jan (They haven't said otherwise). So I'd be using it for the next 4 months and perhaps pay per month afterwards (depending on how the pricing looks). I also use Prime Video (UK version) for a few shows. If we retain the ability to watch all UK content while outside of the UK, that'll be another reason to keep it.

But take what I purchased today - Oral B toothbrush heads.
    17 GBP Amazon UK with free del. -Supplied and fulfilled by Amazon
    26 Euro plus 8 Euro del Amazon DE. - Supplied by some 3rd party
    (I only trust the ones supplied and sold by Amazon to be genuine)
    Even if I paid an added postage fee using Amazon UK the price diff is surprising.

Perhaps it is what I purchase but virtually nothing is cheaper on a like for like direct comparison of Amazon UK vs Amazon DE.

EDIT - Also I don't follow what you are trying to say. Even on your example for an item under 22 Euro the UK site still works out cheaper than DE (based on the exch rate staying the same as today. If it becomes parity and the Amazon price remains the same, it's even cheaper on the UK site).

Not An Post, but I ordered an item off Amazon, with an approximate free delivery of Dec. 26th. I wanted it for christmas (a gift I'd forgotten). So I looked at the paid options, £6 would give it to me approximately by the 24th, or £7.50 would get it to me with next day delivery, or a full refund if it didn't arrive in time.

I wasn't here to accept the parcel, but a courier just delivered it today (ordered about 5am on Monday night/Tuesday morning - so about 30 hours or so). I'm very surprised. I expected, especially given the time of year, that I'd get it before Christmas, but wasn't actually anticipating they'd get it to me on the next working day.

I'm genuinely perplexed as to how that's even possible, given the situation at the moment (national post service crippled, covid restrictions, week before Christmas, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Couldn't find an existing thread but figured it'd be no harm asking. Since Amazon
    have started up their own delivery vans in Dublin, how have ye been finding it?

They're definitely the most entertaining/determined delivery folk I've seen so far. White vans, tiny Amazon logo. Deliveries on Sat/Sundays...

They're well able to get into my gated apartment complex 'following cars in and getting stuck'.

Today one of them rang me, I ran out to pickup package off them, then they said 'oh you have another package too, but we gave it to a man who hid it in a bush outside apartment XYZ - take a look over there'

Lo and behold I found it after a bit of searching.

:pac:

Good to have em though, it's just a shame Brexit might make a bollocks of it. Has anyone ordered from Amazon.de/it and had something delivered by the Dublin guys?

(thanks to whoever moved - my bad - assumed it would be under Parcel Motel forum etc!)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They gave me a package for someone who lives about 20 km the other side of the city

• Advertisement

Shlippery wrote: »
    They're well able to get into my gated apartment complex 'following cars in and getting stuck'.

Must be one of the most annoying parts of being a delivery driver in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭VG31

Couldn't find an existing thread but figured it'd be no harm asking. Since Amazon
    have started up their own delivery vans in Dublin, how have ye been finding it?

I'm very happy with it so far. An Post were a disaster since early August for me. They frequently took 4 or 5 days to deliver after the package arrived in the Dublin Parcel Hub. All my Amazon Logistics deliveries have arrived on or before the delivery date. The next day delivery is fantastic, hopefully Brexit doesn't ruin it all.
    Good to have em though, it's just a shame Brexit might make a bollocks of it. Has anyone ordered from Amazon.de/it and had something delivered by the Dublin guys?

Yes, all five of my Amazon.de since October have been Amazon deliveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Bit of a Christmas rush of orders at the minute. Half dozen items due yesterday, 50/50 arrived vs delayed. But 2 days is still faster than AP in most cases so no biggie.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

An post are doing Amazon plus another couple hundred/thousand retailers, on top of their normal stuff and again during a pandemic and at the busiest time of years. People complaining about delays there are mad imo

Amazon have now sent me something that's not mine and lost something, so I'm not giving them any undue credit to be honest. I hate ordering from them anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

I got two the same items yest. 199 euro each. Contacted Amazon, told them I received a double order and was told to keep it.

Anyway I put extra item on fb for free and some delighted mother that coudnt afford one for her kid just collected. So win win.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

d51984 wrote: »
    I got two the same items yest. 199 euro each. Contacted Amazon, told them I received a double order and was told to keep it.

Anyway I put extra item on fb for free and some delighted mother that coudnt afford one for her kid just collected. So win win.

Well done, nice gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

Ordered an item on the 10th and is supposed to be delivered today but it hasn’t even been shipped yet :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭madmaxvideo

Anyone any experience with amazon logistics loosing packages, I ordered on the 15th and said delivery by 16th, item is still showing in Dublin today (19th), I am about 30km outside of Dublin? Not sure if I should get a refund or wait a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Are there alternative options to Amazon now that it looks like Brexit is gonna feck up UK to Ireland stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Drumpot wrote: »
    Are there alternative options to Amazon now that it looks like Brexit is gonna feck up UK to Ireland stuff?

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058010469/9/#post115652173

Advertisement