Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

They were geo-blocking before (based on credit card details).
    You will get the Amazon general content. But any content specific to Germany will not be available.
    Same as the UK site where Amazon have the rights to certain Football matches, etc. and these are only available to UK subscribers.
    Seeing as they won't offer free delivery you may as well stay with the UK site if you only want video.

Bit pedantic I know, but Nishant specifically said that free delivery is only available to German Customers. The Austrians will be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

As someone who buys a lot from Amazon I do find it baffling that they have not setup an Irish site (or at least offered prime benefits to Ireland from a different European country.
    But on the flip side it will probably force me to buy more from Irish retailers, I just hope Irish retailers take advantage of the situation and start creating proper web stores and offering decent delivery times and customer service.
    I don’t want to wait two weeks to get something delivered within Ireland :/ and then get no response when I ask why it’s taking so long (Brown Thomas)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

So is it just a matter of cancelling your .co.uk prime and setting up a .de/.es/.fr prime or can you transfer your membership?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭VG31

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    So is it just a matter of cancelling your .co.uk prime and setting up a .de/.es/.fr prime or can you transfer your membership?

I'm not sure why you'd bother. If you want prime video you'd be better off just signing up for that by itself.

Oh didn't think of that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    I was listed as a UK customer with Amazon Prime. I noticed that Amazon video no longer gives me the UK sporting events and tells me
    "Some videos may not be available to watch from your location. Go to PrimeVideo.com to see the video catalogue in the Republic of Ireland."

Anyone else seeing this? Seems they automatically moved my location to Ireland in the last week or so.

EDIT - Got onto chat and they changed it back without issue ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

As someone who buys a lot from Amazon I do find it baffling that they have not setup an Irish site (or at least offered prime benefits to Ireland from a different European country.
    But on the flip side it will probably force me to buy more from Irish retailers, I just hope Irish retailers take advantage of the situation and start creating proper web stores and offering decent delivery times and customer service.
    I don’t want to wait two weeks to get something delivered within Ireland :/ and then get no response when I ask why it’s taking so long (Brown Thomas)

The issue I have with Irish retailers is some have no linear based postage charges. I want something that costs 3 Euro. That's 7.99 DPD delivery on check out please....
    Even worse are the retailers that cannot tell you the delivery price until you fill out all details or register before checkout... Useless. That's why Amazon Prime worked really well for us. A big loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

sdanseo wrote: »
    At the moment it's €10 for a very small number of shipments (comparative to the total at least).

Customs processes will be simplified and the volume of them will dictate much better working practices reducing the labour cost. In most logistics operations including mine where EU makes up the overwhelming majority customs is a rare exception to the rule. We've been mass training all staff for months so instead of one person getting a rake of awkward calls when something lands from Turkey or Switzerland, every staff member will clear their own shipments. Scale makes this no longer a specialty service, and so the price overall per clearance can go down.

An Post are no different. They have already lost a huge Amazon contract because Amazon can do it better themselves. They'll want to be competitive.

Amazon no doubt in time will have all this done in house and in a slightly longer period will simply fulfill all Irish orders (or at least, the vast majority of popular items) from and Irish or other EU FC. Enter Prime Air stage right. 2 jets already leased for Europe and many more to follow no doubt.

Right, but you become liable for Irish VAT unless exempt when the goods arrive here. And more importantly you have a VAT number; or are you using your PPS number as a VAT number? (sole trader)
    it's not something Amazon currently offer consumers, is my point.

The €10 handling fee for customs won't be reduced, it's already very low.. I'm sure the company you work for is probably charging at least 3 to 4 times more ..

It may be new to your team(sounds like EU road freight), but a lot of forwarders(I have worked for 2 across all modes of transport) would have been working on more like a 50%/50% split between EU and Non-EU up to now.. So there is a pool of people customs trained, however this pool will be far too small to handle the volumes of customs entries required post Jan 1st. If anything the demand and salaries for customs clearance trained individuals is going to increase(I have heard of at least 2 people moving to customs roles for much higher salaries in the past week alone)

Also to bear in mind is that a customs clearance isn't always a simple procedure that requires 5 mins.. There can be a lot of checking up on regulations, arranging BIPS or customs exams, arranging T1 discharge or removal to bond that means the average would be 5 clearances per hour.. You can train someone from scratch to do basic clearances, but having someone who ACTUALLY knows how to do the full gambit of customs clearances can take 2-3 years..

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AwayOuttaThat

I too am a Prime UK customer, and even have Subscribe & Save items delivered monthly. I have a physical disability and found the Amazon offering very useful for my situation, and the no-quibble returns at the local P.O. of benefit too. It's a real shame all of that is now in jeopardy because of Bonehead Boris.

Even those items that did not ship to the ROI could be brought in by DPD Parcel Wizard, but now they too are giving that up.

I'd be delighted if there was an Irish equivalent, but there isn't. There are some who do bits of it, others too-expensive, and of course those who have never even heard of e-commerce.

That old adage about never letting a good crisis go to waste is lost totally. Covid should have upped the entire online shopping platform. In Ireland, the reverse is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I'm getting Friday the 18th on a couple of things I ordered yesterday but its been 24 hours and they haven't been shipped yet (Prime) so I wonder if its a bit slow at the Amazon end.

Anything I ordered is still showing as 2 day

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Knine wrote: »

I've got stuff saying one day delivery, some lego and a lions rugby hoody.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Last three orders were one day, the latest is en route today.

VG31 wrote: »
    I'm not sure why you'd bother. If you want prime video you'd be better off just signing up for that by itself.

Can't see any options for this. Can you explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

Which company is best and most reliable, when using a virtual address (when ordering from amazon UK etc.. )

Parcel motel? DPD? An post?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Which company is best and most reliable, when using a virtual address (when ordering from amazon UK etc.. )

Parcel motel? DPD? An post?

DPD is gone this week, addresspal is 6.50 and i've only used it twice. Parcelmotel has always been good for me but other's have had items lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

Im in Dublin 5 and still getting options for 1 and 2 day shipping. Feel the pain for people outside Dublin.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

sweetie wrote: »
    DPD is gone this week, addresspal is 6.50 and i've only used it twice. Parcelmotel has always been good for me but other's have had items lost.

Thanks Sweetie, I'll have a look around

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭kalych

sweetie wrote: »

None of these will allow you to circumvent the possible tariffs and are likely to delay delivery rather than speed it up after January 1st, based off the fact that Amazon would be operating with perfect information about your purchase, while these middlemen would have to provide assurances to Revenue that they're declaring the correct value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I wonder how ready revenue.ie is for this they are about to get a multiple of their usual declarations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I wonder how ready revenue.ie is for this they are about to get a multiple of their usual declarations.

Are they though? Without free delivery I'll just have to be more careful when/where I spend my money online. It's likely I'll be using Amazon.de a lot more - but not as much as I used to use Amazon.co.uk.

I'll just be avoiding Amazon.co.uk from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Is the following correct ?

If I (living in Ireland) keep paying for Prime with Amazon UK post-Brexit, I can keep Free Delivery.
    All items under €150 and more than €22 have VAT only added which Amazon UK already adds on so no change there.
    So it's just items over €150 I need to worry about.
    Correct ?

Mod - You have already posted this on the Amazon thread in Consumer Issues. Please don't cross post

• Registered Users Posts: 14,807 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

isn't the €22 exemption for duty coming to an end anyway?

EDIT: yes, but not until July.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Joziburg

Does Amazon not already do some adjustment for VAT, I’ve noticed items change slightly in value at the final checkout stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Farewell old friend :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Me too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The €10 handling fee for customs won't be reduced, it's already very low.. I'm sure the company you work for is probably charging at least 3 to 4 times more ..

It may be new to your team(sounds like EU road freight), but a lot of forwarders(I have worked for 2 across all modes of transport) would have been working on more like a 50%/50% split between EU and Non-EU up to now.. So there is a pool of people customs trained, however this pool will be far too small to handle the volumes of customs entries required post Jan 1st. If anything the demand and salaries for customs clearance trained individuals is going to increase(I have heard of at least 2 people moving to customs roles for much higher salaries in the past week alone)

Also to bear in mind is that a customs clearance isn't always a simple procedure that requires 5 mins.. There can be a lot of checking up on regulations, arranging BIPS or customs exams, arranging T1 discharge or removal to bond that means the average would be 5 clearances per hour.. You can train someone from scratch to do basic clearances, but having someone who ACTUALLY knows how to do the full gambit of customs clearances can take 2-3 years..

You're not wrong. Customs training is the hot commodity for the last while. We've been lucky in only dealing with non-EU as the exception to the rules but are spot on, where I am is pretty much EU dedicated.

Teams dealing with Air and Ocean have been flat out sharing their knowledge and of course new people being brought in. It's a case of getting as many people to the basic level needed but also slowly building on the "experts" which for sure will take longer. As I understand it simplified procedures will allow clearances to be done more quickly but from the relative few I have done, for the current process 5/hr sounds pretty correct. That will need to increase. No company dealing with the UK in any significant volume could sustain even a fraction of their current business if each agent was only processing 40 clearances a day.
    d51984 wrote: »
    Im in Dublin 5 and still getting options for 1 and 2 day shipping. Feel the pain for people outside Dublin.

I'm seeing the same, in fact almost anything I've looked at seems to have a better ETA than would have been normal before. Some items which are delivered by AP are getting a deliberately longer lead time (and echoed by a text from AP saying delivery in up to 3 working days when it lands in DMC).. but tends to be invariably delivered the next day and so is well early vs. the initial prediction.

2-3 days is still the average.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

sdanseo wrote: »
    You're not wrong. Customs training is the hot commodity for the last while. We've been lucky in only dealing with non-EU as the exception to the rules but are spot on, where I am is pretty much EU dedicated.

Teams dealing with Air and Ocean have been flat out sharing their knowledge and of course new people being brought in. It's a case of getting as many people to the basic level needed but also slowly building on the "experts" which for sure will take longer. As I understand it simplified procedures will allow clearances to be done more quickly but from the relative few I have done, for the current process 5/hr sounds pretty correct. That will need to increase. No company dealing with the UK in any significant volume could sustain even a fraction of their current business if each agent was only processing 40 clearances a day.

I'm seeing the same, in fact almost anything I've looked at seems to have a better ETA than would have been normal before. Some items which are delivered by AP are getting a deliberately longer lead time (and echoed by a text from AP saying delivery in up to 3 working days when it lands in DMC).. but tends to be invariably delivered the next day and so is well early vs. the initial prediction.

2-3 days is still the average.

The pale is alive and well. British colony

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

mrcheez wrote: »
    Farewell old friend :(

Made my home smarter (and me poorer)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    The pale is alive and well. British colony

First and foremost a population thing. Almost a third of the population lives in Dublin and nearly half is in the GDA.

It just wouldn't make sense for them to run vans from Rathcoole all over the country, would be loss making instantly. I've no doubt we will start to see more regional distribution - whether it will be linked to Amazon UK or another EU site; or they open something dedicated to IE (seems unlikely) is what remains to be seen.

It's comparable to Apple but then it also isn't. Apple have no stores here despite 6,000 employees, because it's a small market. But they also have a very good network of premium resellers which means the level of service for the consumer is essentially the same (in fact it can be hard to tell the inside of a CompuB from an Apple store bar the scale). I'd say Amazon the global entity will strive to maintain the service somehow; just up in the air as to how much hassle will be involved initially.

Ireland is not a big enough market to plow billions into opening 10 FC's and deliver to every nook and crannie with a drone.. but it's too large a market to ignore either. It helps us in this sense that NI is to all intents and purposes remaining in the customs union.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Knine wrote: »

Which part of the country are you in and what kind of stuff were you ordering?

I’m not looking for details or anything - but that nothing I put in my order (even one item by itself) comes up as two days or even the 5.

I’m considering as a friend in the U.K. to take delivery and I order DPD to collect

Advertisement