Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,813 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Joziburg wrote: »
    Does Amazon not already do some adjustment for VAT, I’ve noticed items change slightly in value at the final checkout stage.

yes, they charge Irish VAT for goods going to Ireland. This won't change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I'm still awaiting an order placed on November 20th and dispatched on the 25th.

Have already gotten a refund, not sure will it ever arrive as their is no detailed tracking as it was sent by Asendia.

I'd be happy with one week delivery from Amazon, 1 or 2 day delivery is a pipe dream for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

Is it possible to join prime in another EU country to get free shipping and no import costs after brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

piplip87 wrote: »
    Is it possible to join prime in another EU country to get free shipping and no import costs after brexit.

Do you buy from Amazon.fr or amazon.de ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

piplip87 wrote: »

No , it was on the radio today that they have no intention of doing this either in future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

No , it was on the radio today that they have no intention of doing this either in future.

Oh well, I'll be avoiding them like the plague if their aim is to bolt us to a non-EU market and cause maximum inconvenience for Irish customers.

Clearly they don't need or want our business, just our generous tax breaks to run their profits through.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Is the following correct ?

If I (living in Ireland) keep paying for Prime with Amazon UK post-Brexit, I can keep Free Delivery.
    All items under €150 and more than €22 have VAT only added which Amazon UK already adds on so no change there.
    So it's just items over €150 I need to worry about.
    Correct ?

Yes, but only if Amazon continues to handle due VAT.

AutoTuning wrote: »
    Oh well, I'll be avoiding them like the plague if their aim is to bolt us to a non-EU market and cause maximum inconvenience for Irish customers.

Clearly they don't need or want our business, just our generous tax breaks to run their profits through.

You have to recognize though that shipping from an EU based warehouse will cost considerably more than from the UK where they could bulk ship huge amounts of orders to Ireland. This will be particularly true once transport costs are higher.
    We are going to be a victim of location and the fact that we are a small market rather than a victim of Amazon on this one.

I've a feeling we'll all be screwed so hard by local business that we'll be taking whatever we can easiest afford when it comes to the crunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Mod - <SNIP> Read the charter for the first part. For the rest there is a rip-off forum if you want to post that.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

I've a feeling we'll all be screwed so hard by local business that we'll be taking whatever we can easiest afford when it comes to the crunch.

I fear you could be right, Amazon (and other UK online retailers) were always useful as a safety valve against rip off b&m chains here with dodgy FX conversions from their UK equivalents and also as somewhere to get bespoke items without being fleeced. A lot of progress was made over the past few years on that front from the old rip off Republic days and it will all get undone from Jan1 as the b&m stores use Brexit to increase prices to cover costs yes but to increase margins too because that's what they do when they can get away with it; Rip off Republic V2.0......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Having a look on Amazon.de.

There seems to be a flat postage charge is there?
    For example the postage on shipping either 10 blank DVDs or a 50" inch TV was exactly the same (about 8 euro!)

i was reading that there won't be customs charges under €22 so Amazon uk will still be great for small items (video games, blurays, bits and bobs) but you can obviously forget buying a telly off them. Conversely, Amazon de looks like a great place to buy a telly if the shipping is only 8 euro and there obviously will be no additional charges, but crap for small items.

For UK for small items Germany for big items?

Deustchland uber alles as that song went!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I noticed yesterday that Amazon have changed my address back to Ireland for Prime/Video.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

whiterebel wrote: »
    I noticed yesterday that Amazon have changed my address back to Ireland for Prime/Video.

They dd the same for me. I changed my default address to a UK one then contacted their chat. No bother changing it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Never had an issue with Amazon.de and use them quite a bit. Just one thing to remember if you are buying anything with a plug that you will need the adaptor as it will most likely be 2-pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Can't see any options for this. Can you explain?

Ditto - I went looking for a "prime video only" option, but can't see it. My options under "Update/cancel/more" are to set up household sharing, or cancel completely.

I would assume Amazon will chase the business. They've built a warehouse in Dublin and they gave the logistic network in Europe already. They also ran TV ads, with Irish accent etc this year for the first time.

If they stuck a few trucks on one of the ferries from continental Europe, they'd be in Ireland in 18 hours at most, and relatively cheaply.

A lot of these companies are waiting until the last minute to adapt as they would be stupid to make huge changes if in January we end up in a situation where Boris backs down and all continues more or less as normal in a comprehensive deal or there's an extension of the transition period to avoid chaos.

Realistically, there's probably a 40:60 chance, leaning towards hard brexit at present.

Amazon marketplace retailers in the UK are more problematic.

But for example, I bought a Miele hoover on Amazon last year because it was significantly cheaper and it shipped from a marketplace store in Italy.

I just fitted a pin converter plug and it's been absolutely perfect. Higher spec machine than was available with a UK plug, about 20% cheaper & I have full warranty.

And that was ordered through Amazon.co.uk - so their European supply chain is already integrated.

It could cause major issue for the UK site as they'll lose a lot of continental stock.

Also when you buy some items you discover they're coming from Hong Kong etc. Often tarrif free as they're fairly carefully picked to be within the limits or non tarrif items.

Most logical thing for them would be to establish Amazon.ie and just curate it automatically to get access to products and link it to Irish prime video etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭touts

eviltwin wrote: »
    Never had an issue with Amazon.de and use them quite a bit. Just one thing to remember if you are buying anything with a plug that you will need the adaptor as it will most likely be 2-pin.

How long does delivery take to come from Germany?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Thoie wrote: »
    Ditto - I went looking for a "prime video only" option, but can't see it. My options under "Update/cancel/more" are to set up household sharing, or cancel completely.

I asked amazon. She said just cancel the co.uk account and set up a .com account. Not sure what she thought I was talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

They should have a contingency plan, as it is one thing not to enter a market of the size of Ireland and a whole different story to practically abandon one they were already in, but I also think they are likely to wait with a transition until it becomes certain that not even a post-Brexit agreement is in sight for the foreseeable future.

I think we also underestimate the Irish market. It’s not the 1980s. It’s one of the most attractive and boutant retail environments in the EU. We’ve a lot of spending power and like to shop.

It would be more like abandoning one of the larger Nordic countries.

I think Ireland viewed via the British lens always underestimates it. You can see that in Brexit discussion the entire time.

You’re talking a wealthy market in the republic with a pop of 4.9 million and 1.8 million in NI, which may end up in the same logistics setup for many products.

• Advertisement

Asus X540L wrote: »
    Having a look on Amazon.de.

There seems to be a flat postage charge is there?
    For example the postage on shipping either 10 blank DVDs or a 50" inch TV was exactly the same (about 8 euro!)

I'm seeing different postage charges, for example I want to buy a bedside lamp and postage is 12.99. A kids bag costs 8.99.

I wish they'd answer a few questions definitively for us.

1. Can we shop until Jan 1st without fear of charges, or do we need to worry about everything we have bought previously that ships from Jan 1st?
    Is there any info online on that? I can't find anything other than unsubstantiated opinion.

2. As amazon.co.uk adds Irish VAT at the checkout already, can we assume that's taken care of and scrap the notion of a 22 euro cut off? If that's the case we buy up to 150 worth. Over 150 attracts duty which to date has not been a concern for us so not accounted for at checkout to date.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

If it ships, or arrives to Ireland after 1st January 2021 it will be subject to charges.
    There is no issue with Amazon for VAT up to €150 as they already declare VAT in Ireland. If it is over that, it may be subject to Duty as well as VAT and customs clearance charges, which we presume Amazon will take care of themselves as they do for Amazon.com.

After 1st July Amazon shipments may be in bother because the minimum collection amount for VAT of €22 is being abolished, so VAT/duty and charges will be liable on everything. Again, one would assume that Amazon can cover this, but other companies that ship from the UK may not.

Anything that arrives into Ireland / EU over the border after 1st of January is potentially subject to charges or queries. When you ordered it is irrelevant. All that will matter is when it crossed the border. If it’s sitting in An Post’s network waiting to be sorted, it won’t be being imported on 1 January.

The biggest issue will be items that ship without any customs declarations. They’ll potentially be held up.

We don’t fully know the outcome of Brexit yet, so nobody can provide a definitive answer yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

This is disturbing as I had hoped that anything ordered before Jan 1st would get through OK?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,646 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

This is disturbing as I had hoped that anything ordered before Jan 1st would get through OK?

Really you should be looking at making final Amazon orders on 14th Dec latest, though you might be cutting it close (this is if it's an expensive item of course)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

mrcheez wrote: »
    Really you should be looking at making final Amazon orders on 14th Dec latest, though you might be cutting it close (this is if it's an expensive item of course)

It tells you when stuff gets delivered and for me it's very accurate - am lucky enough to be getting one or two day delivery on pretty much everything I buy

Anyway, for now anything up to €150 will be treated the same after 1/1 that it is today. Thats 99.9% of my purchases.

Am curious to know, from the people here...how often do you buy something on amazon that is over €150...think I've only done it twice and we get stuff delivered most days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭VG31

Am curious to know, from the people here...how often do you buy something on amazon that is over €150...think I've only done it twice and we get stuff delivered most days.

5 of my 177 Amazon.co.uk orders this year were over €150. All but one or two of those I could have got an Amazon.de at a similar price.

3 of my 10 Amazon.de orders were over €150.

As long as the €150 threshold is actually the case it won't affect me too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,646 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

It tells you when stuff gets delivered and for me it's very accurate - am lucky enough to be getting one or two day delivery on pretty much everything I buy

Anyway, for now anything up to €150 will be treated the same after 1/1 that it is today. Thats 99.9% of my purchases.

Most of my orders are over €150

Probably dropped over €1000 in late Nov/Dec

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

mrcheez wrote: »
    Most of my orders are over €150

Probably dropped over €1000 in late Nov/Dec

Fair enough, I wonder if you'd be in the minority ie: the €150 limit won't affect most people.

Whatever happens there is no way Amazon is abandoning the market here after investing in logistics and a warehouse.

Advertisement