Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Really hoping the 2 week delivery window is a temporary thing. Got used to next or 2 day delivery :(

Hopefully it's just a placeholder date while they figure out how quick they can turn things around again...and maybe things will ship sooner. :P hopefully someone can test the theory.

Battery thing looks annoying though - checked a few laptops as well...seems to be right across the board.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Mod - Lithium batteries are hazardous on aircraft. PM and PW shipped them into N Ireland by road and so should not have been affected. AddressPal uses airplanes from London and are prohibited. Read the Charter and the first post in the AddressPal thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

Quite a few items I've tried won't deliver to Ireland at all, the ones that will have a expected delivery of between the 19th of January and February 3rd?? This is for.amazon prime eligible items. I'm hoping these are just teething issues.

Also, the items that will deliver (from the small.number I checked) all have an import fee, I had thought that since there was a trade deal that this would not happen?. As Amazon would be considered a trusted seller and just extra paperwork would apply on their end. Anyone any ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭corkie

1huge1 wrote: »
    Quite a few items I've tried won't deliver to Ireland at all, the ones that will have a expected delivery of between the 19th of January and February 3rd?? This is for.amazon prime eligible items. I'm hoping these are just teething issues.

Also, the items that will deliver (from the small.number I checked) all have an import fee, I had thought that since there was a trade deal that this would not happen?. As Amazon would be considered a trusted seller and just extra paperwork would apply on their end. Anyone any ideas
    corkie wrote: »
    About Import Fees Deposit

I linked the above already in thread.

"Duties and taxes are calculated according to the shipping destination's customs regulations. Typically, this calculation is based on our product price and shipping, before any promotions. This allows destination country customs authorities to obtain the accurate import duties and taxes owed to them based on the actual value of the goods. For more information, go to About Customs, Duties & Taxes."

Above explains why your been charged VAT on shipping, even if your shipping is been discounted due to amount spent (or Prime promotion).

You may not be paying the shipping but amazon is absorbing the cost of it, so dues still need to be paid on it.
    ^^^ Cross Thread quote.

Vat & duties still need to be paid. Just that there is no additional tariffs on purchases because of brexit deal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

corkie wrote: »
    ^^^ Cross Thread quote.

Vat & duties still need to be paid. Just that there is no additional tariffs on purchases because of brexit deal

weren't they already being paid before brexit. ie Vat was adjusted to higher irish rate.

I added a £15.80 item to basket, on checkout price reduces to £13 for delivery to my Dublin home. I assume uk Vat is removed and I'd be liable for Irish vat payment. However, will Amazon delivery contractors be collecting it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

MOD - <SNIP> I’m not sure what you are trying to do here. If you have read the charter you’ll know the consequences.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

sweetie wrote: »
    weren't they already being paid before brexit. ie Vat was adjusted to higher irish rate.

I added a £15.80 item to basket, on checkout price reduces to £13 for delivery to my Dublin home. I assume uk Vat is removed and I'd be liable for Irish vat payment. However, will Amazon delivery contractors be collecting it?

No, for items sold and fulfilled by Amazon, they are collecting the Irish VAT at the checkout..

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058137116/65/#post115768526.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭corkie

Reports of people paying Irish Vat before but only on Orders/Delivery fulfilled by Amazon.

On Third party sellers if your not seeing 'Import Duties' (which now include vat etc) then you would need to pay on delivery.

But amount you mentioned is Below + incl delivery (£20/€22) which is exempt from VAT until July.

I think amazon have streamlined the process into 'Import Duties' to apply across all sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

No, for items sold and fulfilled by Amazon, they are collecting the Irish VAT at the checkout..

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058137116/65/#post115768526.

not for this it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

not for this it seems

No Vat due on orders under €22

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    Two items I purchased last week (but not delivered yet) are both sold and fulfilled by Amazon. Neither has the Irish VAT applied now if I add them to the basket for shipping to Ireland. Change to the UK and I have the same as you - UK 20% VAT applied.

I'd have expected the Irish VAT to be applied and then a customs label stuck on it to indicate it's paid. Are they removing it for all items under 22 Euro? What happens if multiple items in the same box all under the threshold but that add up to over 22 Euro?

Now I'm wondering what will happen to the two items I've purchased that I've already paid Irish VAT on when they get to An Post....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

MBSnr wrote: »
    ^^^
    Two items I purchased last week (but not delivered yet) are both sold and fulfilled by Amazon. Neither has the Irish VAT applied now if I add them to the basket for shipping to Ireland. Change to the UK and I have the same as you - UK 20% VAT applied.

Are they removing it for all items under 22 Euro? What happens if multiple items in the same box all under the threshold but that add up to over 22 Euro?

The import VAT exemption is €22 per "package". So if your total delivery is over the limit (which is about £GBP20 ) then VAT will be charged on it.

Example -

You could place an order for 1 item at £20 and another item at £15 at the same time . If they are going to be delivered together then VAT will be charged by Amazon.
    If the order is showing as needing 2 deliveries at checkout (maybe because of stock availability) - then no VAT will be charged on the whole order even though it is over the VAT threshold. (I tried that earlier today).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭obi604

Anyone know if ‘An Post’ are delivering tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭wandererz

obi604 wrote: »
    Anyone know if ‘An Post’ are delivering tomorrow?

Was told by postman that next delivery is Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Just looking at my basket of three items. Amazon's "Import fees deposit" appears to be the VAT plus a little. Current UK delivered price $40.41 Delivered to Ireland it's €42.19 including the "exchange rate guarantee". So no major changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Discodog wrote: »
    Just looking at my basket of three items. Amazon's "Import fees deposit" appears to be the VAT plus a little. Current UK delivered price $40.41 Delivered to Ireland it's €42.19 including the "exchange rate guarantee". So no major changes.

I seen this and was thinking 88 euro extra. So that 88 is pretty much the VAT?

dvvddv.png

Asus X540L wrote: »

dvvddv.png

Yep.

If you'd looked at that yesterday the total price would be about the same. They have stripped out the UK VAT and now show separately as the 'import fee deposit'.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Wondering now if those fees will be refundable on order return.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Wondering now if those fees will be refundable on order return.

They're paid to Revenue as part of a customs clearance declaration, so that will depend on whether Amazon have the facility to claim these directly. If not, you are entitled to the refund, but may have to claim it from Revenue with proof of return postage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

dvvddv.png

Same device on Amazon.fr

Articles: 469,00 €
    Livraison : 5,80 €
    Montant total : 474,80 €

You’ll get a 2 pin plug charger, but it’s hardly a deal breaker.

However, €450.89 straight from Google itself on store.Google.com and that’s just officially shipped to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I've just ordered a couple of items (Prime customer) under €22 (made two orders for items around £12) and basically you get them VAT free so the UK's 20% VAT is removed at the checkout.

I'll be trawling through the Amazon wish lists today to see what else I want that will be cheaper now.

Edit> Seems it items have to be fulfilled by Amazon for this to work.

Wake me up when it's all over.

From a full page by An Post in todays Irish Times, presumably Amazon is one of the partners they have agreed with.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

From a full page by An Post in todays Irish Times, presumably Amazon is one of the partners they have agreed with.

"95% of our Great British retailers" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Wow I'm buying a ton of items under €22 and they're all VAT free.

Wasn't expecting this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Wow I'm buying a ton of items under €22 and they're all VAT free.

Wasn't expecting this :)

There is a thread on this in Bargain Alerts Amazon.co.uk - No VAT on certain items under €22.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

They should list them to save hassle for customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

I note from an Examiner article in November, Amazon is looking for a warehouse in Cork City for rapid delivery and seems to have plans for a full Irish fulfilment centre, probably on outskirt Dublin near motorway network (I assume)

https://www.irishexaminer.com/property/commercial/arid-40076012.html

They certainly don’t look to be abandoning the Irish market. If anything, the complete opposite would appear to be the case. They’re ramping up their presence here.

I wonder how long that VAT free situation will last. I can see a lot of Irish online retailers being very annoyed by that. You basically would be getting closed down by a tax loophole, no matter how nice it may be for us as customers it will destroy a lot of small Irish companies and just grant extra largesse to Amazon and it’s being facilitated by a semi-state company!

It’s not like these are just the odd item bought from Annie’s Tea & Biscuit shop in Wessex. It’s a huge volume of trade from a massive multinational, with significant presence here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

AutoTuning wrote: »
    I wonder how long that VAT free situation will last. I can see a lot of Irish online retailers being very annoyed by that. You basically would be getting closed down by a tax loophole, no matter how nice it may be for us as customers it will destroy a lot of small Irish companies and just grant extra largesse to Amazon and it’s being facilitated by a semi-state company!

It’s not like these are just the odd item bought from Annie’s Tea & Biscuit shop in Wessex. It’s a huge volume of trade from a massive multinational, with significant presence here.

That struck me as well. It would be very easy with Amazons accounting system already in place to tell them to account for VAT. No skin off Amazon’s nose, but solves the problems associated with collection under €6.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Small parcel exemption is finished in 6 months, until then fill your boots.

• Advertisement

The no VAT on items under €22 doesn't seem to be across the board anyway, just bought something that shows for a UK customer as £9.99 and that's what I was charged (Prime, delivery to Dublin).

Advertisement