Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Got this email recently;
    Hello,

As you have placed an order on Amazon.co.uk and selected an EU delivery address in the past, we wanted to let you know that from 1 January 2021, when the Brexit transition period ends, you’ll see some changes when you shop on Amazon.co.uk and select an EU delivery address. These changes could include:

- VAT (or the regional equivalent, if applicable, https://www.amazon.co.uk/vatrates) being due in the country of delivery, or your package may be subject to customs duties, taxes and fees (“Import Fees”)
    - the collection of VAT, or an estimation of Import Fees (“Import Fee Deposit” https://www.amazon.co.uk/ifd), which may result in a price change at checkout.

We will continue to accept eligible returns. If the reason for return is the result of an error (e.g. if the item is defective / damaged / incorrect), any costs incurred for the return will be paid by Amazon. Otherwise, any costs incurred for the return (including transport costs, as well as any associated import fees or customs where applicable) will be payable by the person returning the goods https://www.amazon.co.uk/returnshelp.

We hope this helps and we see you again soon.

Regards,

Customer Service Department
    Amazon.co.uk
    The bit I bolded was one reason I loved Amazon; if the product I got wasn't what was described, I could return it. Heck, I'm returning a reverse camera as it's not suitable for cars, only for trucks. From January, I'll be billed if I try to do this, it would seem. So I will not "take a chance" on a lot of their non-brand name goods, as I will no longer have the option of returning it with ease (this would be the 2nd itme I've returned out of maybe 100 purchases).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Does anyone know can you join amazon prime on Amazon.de? I realise you don't get the free delivery but can you still get Prime Video, Prime music and Prime Photos??? if its going to be more expensive to shop in amazon.co.uk and prime in Amazon.de is cheaper.

I was speaking to Amazon.de customer service just a few hours ago. I was told you get all Prime benefits except free delivery. They did offer to waive my first delivery charges though. I didn't go for it yet though. They still gave me a €5 voucher though, just for contacting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

the_syco wrote: »
    Got this email recently;

The bit I bolded was one reason I loved Amazon; if the product I got wasn't what was described, I could return it. Heck, I'm returning a reverse camera as it's not suitable for cars, only for trucks. From January, I'll be billed if I try to do this, it would seem. So I will not "take a chance" on a lot of their non-brand name goods, as I will no longer have the option of returning it with ease (this would be the 2nd itme I've returned out of maybe 100 purchases).

You'll still be able to return it free for that reason though. Defective or incorrect.

The only change is if you change your mind entirely. That would affect me literally zero out of the 5/6 returns I've done (unless you count when I returned a phone, I also returned the case & charger, which I'm sure live chat would have authorised).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's sad that Amazon who are happy to be taxed here have not made any efforts to come up with something to mitigate the worst of the disruption - sure veterans will know what they are doing buying elsewhere but many casuals especially for the Christmas market will just freak out at the idea of shopping in a different language they don't speak and be uncertain about returns refunds etc. Imagine live help, you might get lucky you might not.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

whiterebel wrote: »
    The lower exemption limit is going on July 1st 2021.
    Why would An Post lower their fee for Handling customs clearance shipments?

They won't would be my guess. AMZL can handle that and let AP do last mile would be my bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭ted1

thecivvie wrote: »
    Amazon.ie is forwarded to the UK site at the moment.

I wonder how much they paid for it. It was taking

sdanseo wrote: »
    Defective or incorrect.

The only change is if you change your mind entirely.
    My fear is that "incorrect" and "change o' mind" will be treated as the same.

Amazon added VAT onto a book I ordered today. Customer support told me to contact them when delivered and then they’ll refund it.

Has never happened before

ted1 wrote: »
    Amazon added VAT onto a book I ordered today. Customer support told me to contact them when delivered and then they’ll refund it.

Has never happened before
    Added VAT, or changed VAT? Anything I order from them hops up a little due to the difference in VAT rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

MOD - <snip> Has been posted multiple times already, including its own dedicated sticky thread

• Advertisement

The lower exemption limit is going on July 1st 2021.
    Why would An Post lower their fee for Handling customs clearance shipments?

They won't would be my guess. AMZL can handle that and let AP do last mile would be my bet.

Can we stop reposting the email please?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I’m suffering almighty confusion at the moment

I sighed up to Prime because it said free two day shipping to Ireland

I’m pretty sure others on this thread confirmed that it is two days

And I was putting my order (all Prime items) in the checkout to discover I was only standard shipping of over a week on most And a charge for one.

Customer service told not all sellers and items qualify for Prime shipping to Ireland - he was explaining how to tell from the product page and ten suddenly said is there anything else” and “goodbye”

The current agent is telling I have to go through checkout to find out what qualifies - which doesn’t sound right at all.

I have removed all third part sellers and now the the basket is “sold by Amazon” only and stool a stand are shipping of ten days

I cannot find anything that says two days in the product pages

Every book shows the 17th is the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

The only thing they love about Ireland is the tax breaks.
    Couldnt care less about a small market like Ireland.

The 2 options are
    1: hope that the charges dont add too much and delay delivery too much
    2: Go cold turkey and say good luck to it.

Have been checking other amazon regions and they are miles behind UK and not to mention UK plugs, keyboards etc..

UK suppliers not going to stock other FC just for irish market.

the_syco wrote: »
    Added VAT, or changed VAT? Anything I order from them hops up a little due to the difference in VAT rates.

There is no VAT on books either in The UK or Ireland. They charged the full rate. Do the price went from. 65.50 to about 78.
    They’ve never applied VAT to books before.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭hkjohn

Currently have a Prime membership on Amazon.uk and understand Brexit may result in shipments from the UK being hit with VAT and delayed because of the post 31 December chaos. They will apparently also start charging for the return of items.

Obvious way around this would be to order purchases of items that may be subject to VAT or will cost a lot to return from an EU branch of Amazon such as Germany (amazon.de) or France (Am.fr).

My only concern is whether you can still access Amazon Prime TV from those countries. Anyone know for sure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Does the vat change now mean we can buy fragrances from the uk site?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

hkjohn wrote:
    My only concern is whether you can still access Amazon Prime TV from those countries. Anyone know for sure?

That's my concern too. Like a lot of people here I told Amazon I lived in the UK so I could get the UK Prime TV instead of the Irish one so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do now if anything

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I was speaking to Amazon.de customer service just a few hours ago. I was told you get all Prime benefits except free delivery. They did offer to waive my first delivery charges though. I didn't go for it yet though. They still gave me a €5 voucher though, just for contacting them.

At least you asked!

But really the main benefit of a full Prime membership to me is the free shipping and Prime Video. If free shipping is out for any euro country now, that's a massive downgrade benefit-wise. It's cheaper just to sub to Prime Video on its own.

Also sucks that there isn't even a purchase threshold that gets you free shipping (like spend more than €30 and shipping is free) from any other European Amazon.

If Amazon don't set up a .ie site, we're really getting shafted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Are you also concerned with getting free delivery with Prime from a mainland European Amazon?
    At the moment you won't.
    Regarding Prime Video, each Country has it's own Prime content. I don't think Amazon will allow you to set up a Video account unless you're a resident of that country, or one of the other Countries serviced by the site...... Austria use the German site for example.

edit : I see somebody already mentioned speaking to a Cs agent and being told they can get Prime Video. I don't think that's correct as there are territorial rights issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We also have Prime with Amazon UK.
    Less concerned about the TV aspect but would like to be able to get Free Deliveries. Do FR or DE not offer Prime with Free Delivery to Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Nope. They only offer free delivery in their own country and neighbouring countries without an Amazon presence.
    Germany covers just Austria, etc. If you go into any EU Amazon site you can find which Countries are offered free delivery.

Can some one help me out?

What kind of items get a two delivery to Ireland?

Had I just left it too late in ordering

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Can some one help me out?

What kind of items get a two delivery to Ireland?

Had I just left it too late in ordering

There is less and less. Amazon seem to have been reducing the amount of product they will ship to Ireland, so you don't know until you get to checkout. Unless you're in Dublin, they won't offer 2 day with the state of deliveries at the moment. A lot of people seem to be getting rid of prime because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Well here is a transcript of my conversation with customer service in Amazon Germany - just in case anyone finds it useful! I only changed it to remove my real name.
    Hello,
    Here's a copy of the chat transcript you requested:
    Initial Question: I'm Irish and I live in Ireland. I got an email from Amazon.co.uk today to say that I will be subject to additional charges after brexit day. I'm currently a Prime member and have been for years on the .co.uk site. My membership expires on the 28th of December though. Can I use Prime on the .DE Amazon site?
    11:15 PM MET Nishant(Amazon): Hello, My name is Nishant. It's my pleasure to assist you.

Of course you ll be able to use Prime on the .DE Amazon site.
    11:15 PM MET anonymous: Hi Nishant
    11:16 PM MET anonymous: That's good to know, I got my auto renewal turned off on the .co.uk site. But if I sign up with .de, do I still get free delivery on items mark 'prime' ?
    11:17 PM MET Nishant: Unfortunately free delivery is only for the german customers.
    Rest all the benefits are the same.
    11:17 PM MET anonymous: free delivery is a big one though :(
    11:18 PM MET Nishant: I can offer you a refund of the shipping charges for the first 2 deliveries
    We would issue a refund of the shipping cost as soon as the order is dispatched.

11:19 PM MET anonymous: I have ordered from the .DE site before, never had an issue. But to be honest, between my wife and I we tend to order a lot from Amazon. Thanks for the offer, but I'll have to think about this or maybe just see how things work out
    11:19 PM MET Nishant: Sure
    11:20 PM MET Nishant: I would like to add the promos of 5 EUR as a goodwill gesture

I would also like to inform you that the promos never appear in the account, it is automatically applied on the next order.

And please make sure that the item is sold and shipped by Amazon.de

11:20 PM MET anonymous: oh wow thanks! that's very nice of you
    11:20 PM MET Nishant: You're most welcome anonymous.

Is there anything else I can do for you today?
    11:20 PM MET anonymous: no thanks, much appreciate your help!
    11:20 PM MET Nishant: It was pleasure talking to you.

Thank you for contacting Amazon.Have a wonderful day.

We hope to see you again soon.

And please take care and stay safe:)

Please do rate my helpfulness via a link you ll get at the end of the chat.

11:21 PM MET anonymous: will do!

There is less and less. Amazon seem to have been reducing the amount of product they will ship to Ireland, so you don't know until you get to checkout. Unless you're in Dublin, they won't offer 2 day with the state of deliveries at the moment. A lot of people seem to be getting rid of prime because of it.

I really needed the stuff much sooner but didn’t have the money until last night.

That is unfortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,240 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I cannot find anything that says two days in the product pages

Every book shows the 17th is the earliest.
    They might say 17th before you order, but when you go in it is a lot shorter for me anyway.
    I placed 2 orders yesterday one due Thursday one due Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

gmisk wrote: »
    They might say 17th before you order, but when you go in it is a lot shorter for me anyway.

I'm getting Friday the 18th on a couple of things I ordered yesterday but its been 24 hours and they haven't been shipped yet (Prime) so I wonder if its a bit slow at the Amazon end.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »

Okay thanks but that isn’t happening with anything I need to order.

It just gets standard of 10 days and Prime standard is supposed to be 5 at the most.

Advertisement