Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Height requirements in dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

I think Irish dating has an inherent flaw of this "Instagram life style" being shown apposed the grim realities that peoples expectations are too high I suspect in the future there's going to be eld one an eld fellas everywhere single and not very happy based on the current attitude to dating.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Ekerot

Some men also rule women out for being a certain height. I am 5" 10 and the last message I got simply said "Too tall". That's not the only time it's been said to me either. While I still wouldn't rule anyone out based on height, it certainly becomes wearisome when my physical attributes are viewed as a negative from the beginning. I most definitely don't want to deal with an inferiority complex either. Life is hard enough:)

Single?
    I'm free

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Ultrflat wrote: »
    I think Irish dating has an inherent flaw of this "Instagram life style" being shown apposed the grim realities that peoples expectations are too high I suspect in the future there's going to be eld one an eld fellas everywhere single and not very happy based on the current attitude to dating.
    It's not unique to Ireland, but yeah its an interesting point. Years ago a woman would dress up on a Saturday night and get attention for a few hours. Now with social media that attention is 24/7. You'd have to wonder how much that affects expectations. I know a girl who is very attractive but she's addicted to Instagram. She's one of those people that is always "on." It's hard to compete with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭lavinia hathaway

Feisar wrote: »
    What sort of a tool puts someone down like that just for the sake of it. And who wouldn’t want a leggy 5’10” woman?

I can only surmise that it's some sort of neg where I have to justify my very existence to these clowns. I can't imagine sending someone a message saying "too short".

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭lavinia hathaway

Ekerot wrote: »
    Single?
    I'm free

I am, but I may be too tall:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Feisar wrote: »
    What sort of a tool puts someone down like that just for the sake of it. And who wouldn’t want a leggy 5’10” woman?

An insecure tool.

It's not unique to Ireland, but yeah its an interesting point. Years ago a woman would dress up on a Saturday night and get attention for a few hours. Now with social media that attention is 24/7. You'd have to wonder how much that affects expectations. I know a girl who is very attractive but she's addicted to Instagram. She's one of those people that is always "on." It's hard to compete with that.

I've no interest in competing that's the thing, if they feel they need to stroke there egos based on how many likes and matches they get. From the out side looking it look like pretty hollow and surveille existence. There's a dented personality with not much going on...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Ultrflat wrote: »
    I've no interest in competing that's the thing, if they feel they need to stroke there egos based on how many likes and matches they get. From the out side looking it look like pretty hollow and surveille existence. There's a dented personality with not much going on...

I've a friend like that who lives vicariously through Instagram. I spend less and less time with her as we get older tbh. She's obsessed with who is following who and all that shíte. Any time we are out she has to get a pic of "the gals" having an amazing time so that her ex will see on Instagram that she's having an amazing time. It makes me weary. I just couldn't live like that.

On the topic of dating, she's absolutely brutal in her harshness towards guys. It's fine to have standards for yourself but she will just find random flaws with otherwise perfect and really nice guys, and be like "nope, next". She won't even take the time to have a chat. We were out with her one evening and she was due to meet someone she met online and as the poor guy approached the table she just turned to me and said "no, don't like him".

Then she complains about still being single. She often has a dig at me, saying I'm lucky to have my OH and he's so wonderful etc. He is, but I feel like saying to her "he's the kind of guy you wouldn't give a second date to because you'd say he was too nice or too friendly and might be weird" or whatever.

Antares35 wrote: »
    I've a friend like that who lives vicariously through Instagram. I spend less and less time with her as we get older tbh. She's obsessed with who is following who and all that shíte. Any time we are out she has to get a pic of "the gals" having an amazing time so that her ex will see on Instagram that she's having an amazing time. It makes me weary. I just couldn't live like that.

On the topic of dating, she's absolutely brutal in her harshness towards guys. It's fine to have standards for yourself but she will just find random flaws with otherwise perfect and really nice guys, and be like "nope, next". She won't even take the time to have a chat. We were out with her one evening and she was due to meet someone she met online and as the poor guy approached the table she just turned to me and said "no, don't like him".

Then she complains about still being single. She often has a dig at me, saying I'm lucky to have my OH and he's so wonderful etc. He is, but I feel like saying to her "he's the kind of guy you wouldn't give a second date to because you'd say he was too nice or too friendly and might be weird" or whatever.

She doesn't deserve an OH.

My OH had a few friends like that, their standards started to really plummet as their 30s progressed.

#Schadenfreude

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Find a girl under 5 foot 4 and you'll be grand op. There's a few about.

Everyone has limitations in attracting the opposite sex just go with it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 114 ✭✭RonaVirus

I'm 5'11'' and feel like a midget most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I have a friend like this too. She once went on a date with a guy she was getting along pretty well with, but she rejected his offer of a second date because she didn’t like his watch and it was apparently a dealbreaker for her :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I feel like a big jacked motherfooker until I see my reflection in a shop window and realise I look like a leprechaun.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,355 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

RonaVirus wrote: »
    I'm 5'11'' and feel like a midget most of the time.

Are you living in Holland?

5'11 is a decent height.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I have a friend like this too. She once went on a date with a guy she was getting along pretty well with, but she rejected his offer of a second date because she didn’t like his watch and it was apparently a dealbreaker for her :rolleyes:

She'd love me every watch I own has been a gift from an x gf or wife. :pac:

she sounds about as pleasant as eating your own vomit from a sick bag!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 114 ✭✭RonaVirus

5'11 is a decent height.

I moved to Galway from a different part of the country. People are taller here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

5'11 is a decent height.
    That's what I was thinking myself. I'm the same height myself and I'd generally see more guys shorter than me than taller. Not by much in either direction to be fair. Then again as a bloke maybe I'm not noticing it that much because I'm not into men and height would be of no consequence to me with women?

It would also suggest that because I've never even considered my height as a factor that if a guy is 5'11 it generally isn't?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

FWIW I'm 6'3 and my height just makes me feel more conspicuous and insecure when I tower over everyone else. I'd say it's hindered me if anything during my attempts to engage with the opposite sex, certainly hasn't helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

5'11 is a decent height.

Funny you should say that, I'm bang on 6ft which is usually tall enough here but I was in Holland a couple of years ago visiting my Dutch friend and when I went out with all of his friends I was the shortest there by a few inches at least.
    Even the women are really tall, and you don't really see overweight people. Must be all the cycling and salads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭billyhead

She probably looks like the back of a bus aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

5'11 is a decent height.

Average height in Holland is 6 ft I think.

5’11 over there is equivalent to 5”8ish in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

billyhead wrote: »

Irish women are very judgemental. In my experience, women from other countries are a lot softer and kinder; pleasant basically. I wonder if it's an insecurity thing, because they're generally (not all) overweight compared to women from other countries, don't dress as nice and aren't as conventionally attractive.

Sometimes I watch the Irish version of First Dates and they're notorious for leading a person on to give them an ego boost as well. If there's a lad who isn't conventionally attractive on it, you can see the air of superiority in their body language even though their looks are pretty much on par.

I found so many of them to be intimidating to approach on nights out in my younger days, body language aggressive bordering on irrational [and I noticed it towards lads I'd casually be speaking to in say the smoking area who would be speaking pleasantly! to them]. It's nigh on impossible to speak to one of them without having to be judged by their friends at the same time; something that doesn't happen at all when you reverse sexes.

I'm going on a bit of a tangent here, but basically, be nicer to people and don't be so catty and childish. Is it that hard?

billyhead wrote: »

No she's actually very attractive and takes very good care of herself, but as I mentioned before and it applies to men and women, looks will only get you so far in my opinion. Doesn't matter how much you can dazzle someone at first instance, if you're shallow or an ásshole people will figure that out quickly enough.

Irish women are very judgemental. In my experience, women from other countries are a lot softer and kinder; pleasant basically. I wonder if it's an insecurity thing, because they're generally (not all) overweight compared to women from other countries, don't dress as nice and aren't as conventionally attractive.

Sometimes I watch the Irish version of First Dates and they're notorious for leading a person on to give them an ego boost as well. If there's a lad who isn't conventionally attractive on it, you can see the air of superiority in their body language even though their looks are pretty much on par.

I found so many of them to be intimidating to approach on nights out in my younger days, body language aggressive bordering on irrational [and I noticed it towards lads I'd casually be speaking to in say the smoking area who would be speaking pleasantly! to them]. It's nigh on impossible to speak to one of them without having to be judged by their friends at the same time; something that doesn't happen at all when you reverse sexes.

I'm going on a bit of a tangent here, but basically, be nicer to people and don't be so catty and childish. Is it that hard?

I've never been one of those women who travels in a flock. Thankfully my mix of friends is fairly gender balanced. But yeah you see it a lot with women I think into their late twenties anyway. You know the ones - all pretty much look the same, blonde extensions, faces contoured so that you no longer actually know what they look like! I know a guy who refuses to date Irish women because he thinks they are boring and thinks " foreign women are more interesting" - it's a bit of a generalisation to be fair. I'm sure there are boring and interesting people from all parts. Being foreign in itself does not make one interesting.

Anyway it's clearly working for him, he hasn't had a date with anyone for seven years, and he won't date online because it's "beneath him".

Anyway it's clearly working for him, he hasn't had a date with anyone for seven years, and he won't date online because it's "beneath him".

Is it Aongus Von Bismarck?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Wow.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

99nsr125 if you want to continue posting in this thread I would advise you improve you standard of posts, one and only warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I am, but I may be too tall:D

No such thing!

• Advertisement

It looks like Lavinia may have a bit more joy on Boards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement