Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

If other countries, especially counties run by leaders that a large proportion of the public in Ireland perceive as imbeciles, such as the US and the UK, get this done and return to normal before us there will be unrest in this country.

Absolutely no excuse and no reason not to throw the kitchen sink at getting this done ASAP. It’s costing the country a small fortune and it’s demoralising the country rapidly.

The last lockdown just in PUP payments cost half the projected cost of the Dublin MetroLink, for one 6 week lockdown!! And that’s just PUP, let alone all the other costs involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

marno21 wrote: »
    If other countries, especially counties run by leaders that a large proportion of the public in Ireland perceive as imbeciles, such as the US and the UK, get this done and return to normal before us there will be unrest in this country.

Absolutely no excuse and no reason not to throw the kitchen sink at getting this done ASAP. It’s costing the country a small fortune and it’s demoralising the country rapidly.

The last lockdown just in PUP payments cost half the projected cost of the Dublin MetroLink, for one 6 week lockdown!! And that’s just PUP, let alone all the other costs involved.

Great point. I don't claim to know the logistics of things but surely they can flake these vaccines around like nobody's business sooner rather than later when other countries are doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Russman wrote: »
    I think summer '21 is a reasonable expectation for something approaching semi normality. I also think most people accept that.
    What I'd hate to see happen or fear might happen, is that we find out Ireland is getting, say, 500k doses of vaccine per month, but we only have the capacity to distribute 100k per month. That would really p1$$ people off I think.
    I also have all my fingers and toes crossed for Summer '21. That would be awesome.

But also awesome (in a different way) are the figures... how logistically difficult it is going to be to get two doses into a couple of million people before the summer. It's bonkers. Do we have the trained staff? The infrastructure? You're talking about 40+ people per minute, 8 hours a day, seven days a week, for months.

I can't wait to see the plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭VonLuck

While the speed at getting a vaccine is incredible, it's still a bit demoralising to know that we could be looking at some level of restrictions for another year. I know it's likely that they will be scaled back greatly, but I don't foresee pubs or concerts being back to normal until this time next year.

I wonder if venues will start adopting the approach of having to prove that you're vaccinated in order to return to normal? I believe Ticketmaster were in the news about it recently. Regardless, the general population which are not in the vulnerable category or frontline workers are unlikely to be vaccinated until the latter part of next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Sky King wrote: »
    I also have all my fingers and toes crossed for Summer '21. That would be awesome.

But also awesome (in a different way) are the figures... how logistically difficult it is going to be to get two doses into a couple of million people before the summer. It's bonkers. Do we have the trained staff? The infrastructure? You're talking about 40+ people per minute, 8 hours a day, seven days a week, for months.

Private companies could help.

Boots have the infrastructure and capacity to roll out Moderna shots for example.

I wonder will the HSE reach out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Russman

Absolutely.
    Maybe I'm too optimistic or hopeful, it'll probably be autumn rather than summer, but if we can dish out the vaccine at the same rate as we can test, it would be super. What is it, about 12,000 tests per day we can do ? That number of vaccinations would put a big dent in it after a couple of months.

I do think that, given the borrowing we're doing for the lockdown supports (which I've no issue with as long as Europe stays on the same page), an extra billion to really throw the kitchen sink at vaccinations, would be well spent.

I think the optics are also important, if we're seen to be doing as good a job as we can, the public will buy in and accept its not going to be an overnight thing. If we're perceived as dragging our heels, patience will wear thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

As someone else said above, the population would be rightly fcuked off if the likes of France and Germany were sailing ahead with their rollout, and we were muddling around trying to get the job done.

Politically, there's a lot to be gained from doing this right, so I'd say its in their interests up in Kildare street to make this work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

As someone else said above, the population would be rightly fcuked off if the likes of France and Germany were sailing ahead with their rollout, and we were muddling around trying to get the job done.

Politically, there's a lot to be gained from doing this right, so I'd say its in their interests up in Kildare street to make this work.

Economically too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Private companies could help.

Boots have the infrastructure and capacity to roll out Moderna shots for example.

I wonder will the HSE reach out.

They wouldn’t be doing it out of the goodness of their hearts though. They would want a fee per patient for administering the vaccine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

Is it possible were overly dependent on a vaccine to get us out of this?

When the next virus comes along we're back to a primitive lockdown setup and waiting for another vaccine

Vietnam has had virtually no cases in 6 months without a vaccine.
    Presumably they have an advanced Track and Trace system and will fare much better next time around

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Absolutely no excuse and no reason not to throw the kitchen sink at getting this done ASAP.
    No logical excuse but then you remember you're dealing with the HSE. They'll probably want a manager recruited for every second person administering the vaccine and stall until some overwrought multi-tiered org chart is in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

VonLuck wrote: »
    While the speed at getting a vaccine is incredible, it's still a bit demoralising to know that we could be looking at some level of restrictions for another year. I know it's likely that they will be scaled back greatly, but I don't foresee pubs or concerts being back to normal until this time next year.

I wonder if venues will start adopting the approach of having to prove that you're vaccinated in order to return to normal? I believe Ticketmaster were in the news about it recently. Regardless, the general population which are not in the vulnerable category or frontline workers are unlikely to be vaccinated until the latter part of next year.
    It shouldn't be most of the year, till March anyway, and as for venues, not sure that would be legal that would be here as it's up to them to ensure it's safe for everyone.

Gael23 wrote: »
    They wouldn’t be doing it out of the goodness of their hearts though. They would want a fee per patient for administering the vaccine

And they should get it. What’s a few euro to Boots in the context of all spent so far

Pasteur. wrote: »

When the next virus comes along we're back to a primitive lockdown setup and waiting for another vaccine

Presumably they have an advanced Track and Trace system and will fare much better next time around
    Vaccines have got us out of TB, whooping cough deaths, polio and smallpox so what's your plan? Few human viruses just go away. Vietnam have a strict quarantine protocol so not normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

brisan wrote: »
    There are more people in our hospitals with covid who went into hospital without covid than those that went into hospital with covid
    Covid free hospitals ,daily tests for all HCW and nursing home residents, its not rocket science

Listening to Pat Kenny this morning they were interviewing people in the queue to get into Penneys in Blanchardstown, one of those interviewed said she was a health care assistant in St James. She was making all the right noises about shopping early to avoid crowds. face masks, social distancing etc but I couldn't help thinking I wouldn't be very happy if I had a vulnerable relative under her care.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Marhay70 wrote: »

Listening to Pat Kenny this morning they were interviewing people in the queue to get into Penneys in Blanchardstown, one of those interviewed said she was a health care assistant in St James. She was making all the right noises about shopping early to avoid crowds. face masks, social distancing etc but I couldn't help thinking I wouldn't be very happy if I had a vulnerable relative under her care.

Find this a bit amusing, so you expect your health care workers to take the brunt of being on the frontline, at the most danger of catching the virus, but then to also shutdown all social activity outside of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Hopefully we won't be caught out so badly next time. I think we've had 3 new coronavirus in the past 20 years, we'll surely get another - and next time could be the one with the 40% death rate.

I still think the West will be more inclined to invest in science based solutions rather than public health as it's just easier to do this where you have an emphasis on individual rights.

No doubt there's going to be spare manufacturing capacity to get a new mRNA vaccine out the door very fast the next time we need it. Also I expect lots of investment in testing. The military in the US in particular will put a lot of resources into this, they've had aircraft carriers out of action because of this and the entire chain of command at risk when Trump got infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Vietnam is still a communist state when it wants to be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

AdamD wrote: »
    Find this a bit amusing, so you expect your health care workers to take the brunt of being on the frontline, at the most danger of catching the virus, but then to also shutdown all social activity outside of this?

No, but I expect them to show responsibility. The advice all along to avoid covid has been to stay away from crowded places and as we saw after the last lockdown was lifted, Penneys is not the place to do that. There are lots of places to get knickers and pyjamas, (her shopping list) including online.

is_that_so wrote: »
    It shouldn't be most of the year, till March anyway, and as for venues, not sure that would be legal that would be here as it's up to them to ensure it's safe for everyone.

What makes you think that? From what I've heard in the news so far they're only expecting a million people to be vaccinated by the end of the summer. That's not enough to eliminate social distancing or other restrictions.

• Advertisement

What makes you think that? From what I've heard in the news so far they're only expecting a million people to be vaccinated by the end of the summer. That's not enough to eliminate social distancing or other restrictions.
    Donnelly says March for 1m vaccinated and you can leave out most kids, which is another 1m. We need about 3.5m for 70% but even at 50% and rising, cases should begin to fall away quite quickly.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Donnelly says March for 1m vaccinated and you can leave out most kids, which is another 1m. We need about 3.5m for 70% but even at 50% and rising, cases should begin to fall away quite quickly.

If we have 1 million of the most vulnerable vaccinated this becomes a completely different kettle of fish. The hospitalisation rate will be well under 1% and by March we will hopefully be able deploy the Oxford vaccine which won’t have the scarcity issue.

I hope they are getting ready for a mass vaccination of less at risk groups at the end of Q1, early Q2 with Oxford and maybe J&J which will have bigger supply. We’ll have this killed by the middle/end of Q2 then.

If we have 1 million of the most vulnerable vaccinated this becomes a completely different kettle of fish. The hospitalisation rate will be well under 1% and by March we will hopefully be able deploy the Oxford vaccine which won’t have the scarcity issue.

I hope they are getting ready for a mass vaccination of less at risk groups at the end of Q1, early Q2 with Oxford and maybe J&J which will have bigger supply. We’ll have this killed by the middle/end of Q2 then.
    With 3 vaccines imminent, all of this is possible. I agree on the high risk categories, it should make a big difference.

Did he say that recently? I only heard about 1 million by the end of summer a couple of days ago. Might have been updated since.

Did he say that recently? I only heard about 1 million by the end of summer a couple of days ago. Might have been updated since.
    Yeah, he was on radio over the weekend. I'd like to hope he's right in his claim but it'll probably all depend on the speed of rollout and supplies.

Piece on how the US plan to roll it out. Apart from the obvious, all a bit vague!
    The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices will issue guidance on Tuesday to states, which will then choose which residents get jabs first. The panel is expected to prioritise the elderly and healthcare workers.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55149138

Meanwhile, it seems the French are also looking at early in the New Year.

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2020/1201/1181698-france-covid-vacination/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭gw80

Gael23 wrote: »
    And don't forget, BAM will want another couple of hundred million euros,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

There are 696,000 people over the age of 65 in Ireland and this cohort have made up 92% of coronavirus deaths. If this group are vaccinated within the next 3-4 months, we should be able to ease restrictions substantially ahead of mass vaccination in the summer months.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 55 ✭✭braychelsea

St.Spodo wrote: »
    There are 696,000 people over the age of 65 in Ireland and this cohort have made up 92% of coronavirus deaths. If this group are vaccinated within the next 3-4 months, we should be able to ease restrictions substantially ahead of mass vaccination in the summer months.

I'd imagine the majority of deaths under that age group are from the vulnerable population as well. Both these groups together are around 1 million people and account for 98+% of the deaths, meaning by March we could pretty much extinguish the death rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

463 people vaccinated every 15 mins ,12 hrs a day for 6 months would vaccinate
    4 million people
    If it needs 2 doses then that’s 926 doses every 15 mins
    So 1000 medically trained people or 2000 to allow for shift working
    It can be done if the will is there but I doubt the HSE has the ability

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement