Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Sheep2020 wrote: »
    It's true alright, we probably wouldn't have

What about the 10% that the vaccine won't work for?

Whats the plan for them?

A few might get infected but it won't even register in most people's minds, it'll be just a few extra people in hospital in the same way that we have flu cases each year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

What about the 10% that the vaccine won't work for?

What's this 10% you speak of? Because it's news to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Sheep2020

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Oh hi "new poster"

What's this 10% you speak of? Because it's news to me

That 90% or so vaccine efficacy that leaves 10%, 1 trialist was severely sick in Pfizer trial suggesting it wont work for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

I didn't mean to cause offence, good you changed the wording, it was stange to see it asserted.

I've read most of that as well, all very positive, your kind of going on a tangent though, not answering the question of initial dose to 2nd dose immunity

How do they know sterilising immunity from day 1 to day 40?, 1st dose, 2nd dose, 14 day post

They never deliberately infected anyone

Do they know trialists came in contact with the virus from.day 1 to.40?

That's outlined in their trial protocol. They start counting someone as a case if they get symptoms after 14 days out from the 2nd dose. Before that both placebo and vaccine arms are treated as unprotected for trial purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

El Sueño wrote: »
    A few might get infected but it won't even register in most people's minds, it'll be just a few extra people in hospital in the same way that we have flu cases each year

Correct me if I’m wrong if it works for 90% that would mean the 10% that it won’t work for have a very low risk of ever getting it because of the vaccinated 90%..

I never took the flu vaccine. Not because I’m anti vax but because i was never really worried or scared about getting the flu, just never bothered. My work involves dealing with the public and i haven’t caught the flu in 10 years. So I’m wondering is that because of the percentage of other people taking the flu vaccine has actually protected me from getting it because the vaccinated spread it less.

• Advertisement

Hmmzis wrote: »
    That's outlined in their trial protocol. They start counting someone as a case if they get symptoms after 14 days out from the 2nd dose. Before that both placebo and vaccine arms are treated as unprotected for trial purposes.

Thanks, that's interesting

Your classed as unvaccinated until post 40 days?

Why is asymptomatic not a case?

We count it as a case in our PCR testing

How will that 40 day work with travel?

Will they advice to restrict movements for 40 days

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Correct me if I’m wrong if it works for 90% that would mean the 10% that it won’t work for have a very low risk of ever getting it because of the vaccinated 90%..

Pfizer has 95% efficiency though I thought?

Or is 90% the average of all the vaccines so far put together?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Pfizer has 95% efficiency though I thought?

Or is 90% the average of all the vaccines so far put together?

Yes you are correct, it’s 95%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

Pasteur. wrote: »
    Is there any purpose to wearing a mask after this time

?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Thanks, that's interesting

Your classed as unvaccinated until post 40 days?

We count it as a case in our PCR testing

How will that 40 day work with travel?

Will they advice to restrict movements for 40 days

For trial purposes, that's correct. Astmptomatic infections are measured as a separate trial endpoint. There are several trial endpoints that get investigated, symptomatic disease is just the first of the primary endpoints.
    Not quite getting your travel question though. Once you're vaccinated (2nd dose + 14 days) you should be protected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

You shouldn't reply to stuff you dont understand

I was replying to hmmsis post about immunity from initial dose to 2nd dose

Where he said to a poster you'll be grand 14 days after 2nd dose

Yeah.

You asserted falsely that Hmmsis couldn't make the assertion he made because none of the trialists were monitored closely enough. This is the lie that I complained about.

Hmmsis couldn't personally make the assertion he made because as far as we can tell he is not qualified to do so, not because of a lack of follow up by AZ, as you falsely claimed.

Maybe you should apply your own standard to comments you make here, as you don't seem to understand the whole concept of vaccination and herd immunity from the inane questions you ask about the 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Pasteur. wrote: »
    ?

Probably not, but it will take a while for their usage to recede, they'll also likely be stockpiled for future outbreaks (even if 100 years from now, like our salt mountains from the beast from the east), and for the next 10 years we'll have better hygiene but it will slip back to pre-pandemic over time as well (technology may stay around making viruses harder to spread, the discoveries of the vaccine development should have a very positive effect into the future for many diseases).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I haven't read all the posts, as I am 100% sure it has been mentioned so I am confused as to WTF the original poll has not been edited. Surely it's easier to correct it than make people trawl through the shi-te to see if it is explained elsewhere.

rubadub wrote: »
    I haven't read all the posts, as I am 100% sure it has been mentioned so I am confused as to WTF the original poll has not been edited. Surely it's easier to correct it than make people trawl through the shi-te to see if it is explained elsewhere.

A much more recent poll https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058135039

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

That 90% or so vaccine efficacy that leaves 10%, 1 trialist was severely sick in Pfizer trial suggesting it wont work for everyone

My understanding is the trialist that was revealed to be severely sick was revealed to have been in the placebo group, but I am open to correction on this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

It meets the efficacy requirement, so in theory it's just a matter of the safety data holding up. Confused by the dosing though. I think a little common sense might need to be applied and for them to allow the half dose full dose regimen to be the go to.

Not confusing though is it.
    Half dose followed by a full dose is over 90 % what's confusing abt that

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

In my opinion there are three potential benefits of a vaccine. In order to get approval they only need to show positive news in one category.

1. Reduction of symptoms (this is category all the efficacy %s is based on)
    2. Reductions in hospitalisations and deaths (while this should follow from #1 it doesn't necessarily and no trial has a large enough sample group to say one way or the other)
    3. Reduction in transmission and asymptomatic cases (the Oxford trial is collecting information on this, I don't think the others are, but there is no data published).
    mean gene wrote: »
    Not confusing though is it.
    Half dose followed by a full dose is over 90 % what's confusing abt that

They didn't include any older person's in the half dose full dose testing so who knows if it will work at all for them. That's a little confusing. Also how many people used that regimen. If its a small % of the trial the numbers could be off because there's just too few cases.

Remember Pfizer moved from 90-95% effective when they went from 90 infected to 160 infected between placebo and vaccine trial groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mark1916

https://t.co/X6S4ED2XWN

Covid-19 vaccine from Pfizer/BioNTech has been approved by Britain's Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) and is expected to be made available from next week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/state-to-underwrite-virus-vaccine-firms-to-reassure-patients-as-jab-is-rolled-out-39816668.html

I don’t agree with the cost of indemnity having to go to the state. It once again leaves the tax payers vulnerable. The pharma companies and some EU/US body should be the under-writers for their respective areas.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/state-to-underwrite-virus-vaccine-firms-to-reassure-patients-as-jab-is-rolled-out-39816668.html

I don’t agree with the cost of indemnity having to go to the state. It once again leaves the tax payers vulnerable. The pharma companies and some EU/US body should be the under-writers for their respective areas.

Strange

Are the manufacturers not confident its risk free or something?

Why won't they cover it

It'd be like the Irish Government covering the warranty of my VW

• Advertisement

Mark1916 wrote: »
    https://t.co/X6S4ED2XWN

Covid-19 vaccine from Pfizer/BioNTech has been approved by Britain's Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) and is expected to be made available from next week

NHS staff getting it first they are saying

Wonder what the uptake will be?

Will be a PR disaster if many refuse

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Strange

Why won't they cover it

Because having the EU states providing indemnity to a certain level is reducing the cost of the vaccines to member states, its nothing new.

Its been mentioned plenty of times over the last few months

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Russman

Strange

Why won't they cover it

Seems its standard practice apparently.

I suppose nothing would ever come to market or be researched if there wasn’t some form of indemnity.

Because having the EU states providing indemnity to a certain level is reducing the cost of the vaccines to member states, its nothing new.

Its been mentioned plenty of times over the last few months

It has been mentioned many times, and ignored many times. What people need to understand is in the absence of such a scheme we would either have had an incredibly expensive vaccine or a very slow vaccine development. It also does not absolve manufacturers from adhering to standard safety protocols or deliberately covering up or hiding potential issues

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

It has been mentioned many times, and ignored many times. What people need to understand is in the absence of such a scheme we would either have had an incredibly expensive vaccine or a very slow vaccine development. It also does not absolve manufacturers from adhering to standard safety protocols or deliberately covering up or hiding potential issues

Yup absolutely, you've got it spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

It’s a bit like those that don’t fly Ryanair because it’s probably not safe if it’s that cheap. Ryanair can pull the cost out of almost everything, but safety standards simply cannot be modified.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Massive news from the UK today. The beginning of the end - happy Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

is_that_so wrote: »
    We're getting ours from the EU and early January seems to be their date to start.
    UK is Boris bravado and him being desperate for any kind of win. It may not be approved by then.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1202/1181812-coronavirus-vaccine/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Massive news from the UK today. The beginning of the end - happy Wednesday.
    When do you reckon it will rollout in Ireland. A matter of wait and see with England first or ploughing ahead regardless?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

When do you reckon it will rollout in Ireland. A matter of wait and see with England first or ploughing ahead regardless?

I would say first week in January

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement