Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Has anyone on this thread any links to the vaccine data from Pfizer, Moderna and Astrazenca that isn’t a press release.
    My understanding from McConkey last night is they don’t have access to it. Who does and why is it being kept from doctors and scientists to study? Not a good look when you’re trying to convince a hesitant public.

As posted in the main thread,

Do you think the data is given to the EMA & FDA as press release.

We're not going to start administering based on press release.

I'm not sure what's so hard to grasp about this, the people who get the full data first are the regulatory bodies and thats completely proper.

Why would McConkey have access to it ? He's nothing special in terms of being top of the line to get data.

Regulators first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I’m now losing faith after that. I may finally have to accept i’ll never be able to travel abroad to visit family again, depressing stuff.

This is what watching RTE. does to people ,imagine what it's doing to pensioners

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

A tattoo or microchip would be more practical.

Always a risk of losing documents and getting stuck out foreign

I think that a central database, where one can enter the person's details and get data back, is the best option.
    No tattoo or other invasive operations.

hmmm wrote: »
    and avoid the possibility that passengers are obliged to be re-vaccinated.

Wouldn't a re-vaccination be an extra safety?
    After all, there are vaccines that can be done several times, even overlapped.

Official stamp on your passport from whomever administered the vaccine or a card similar to passport card.

Passports aren't necessary, most people don't even have one.
    And a card or other kind of material certificate might be lost or deteriorated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I'm not sure what's so hard to grasp about this, the people who get the full data first are the regulatory bodies and thats completely proper.
    The companies promised to release the data to the public as soon as they had it. Can you imagine what would be being said if they hadn't released anything and all we knew now is that the trials had ended.

"Results must have been terrible"
    "They're hiding something"
    "Probably fixing the figures with the FDA"
    "Can't trust this data, why will they not be open with the public?"

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Doc07

For those interested , check website of the European medicines regulator
    https://www.ema.europa.eu/en
    Lots of real information about Covid-19 vaccines including which ones are currently being reviewed (Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca) some information about how the different types work (eg mRNA, viral vectors) and there will be updates with earliest dates when vaccines may be approved in Europe.

Note this is approval of a vaccine, the actual delivery/vaccination programs follow (very quickly) and are not organised by the regulator

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Just watched the fauci video from a few pages back. Thanks to the poster who uploaded it. Such positivity and realism was great to see. I'm steering clear of holohan, mcconkey and their ilk from now on. Feel free to upload any future updates from Dr fauci here going forward! I'll gladly listen to him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

As posted in the main thread,

Do you think the data is given to the EMA & FDA as press release.

Why would McConkey have access to it ? He's nothing special in terms of being top of the line to get data.

Regulators first.

Ok I’m not aware of the upcoming procedures. And it is confusing when you’ve McConkey and others making noise about data access.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

daheff wrote: »
    German vaccination plans include using the army to do it due to the sheer numbers requiring the vaccine

It'd be interesting to see the roll out plan here

It will be made up as we go along
    One thing that can be guaranteed is that we will find unique ways to mess it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deenie78

With regards to a vaccine passport or similar - I don't know how exactly it works but the ESTA visa that you get for the US doesn't involve a physical stamp on your passport, all the records are there electronically (I think!). Would something like that work? Like an electronic vaccine record that gets flagged as you enter a country - or is that a bit too big brother-ish???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Can the vaccines prevent getting infection and prevent the person getting it from spreading?

If they dont and only prevent symptoms the cert I imagine would be useless that the country your entering would have to have been vaccinated before opening up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

https://www.thejournal.ie/fifth-vaccine-ireland-sign-up-5284072-Dec2020/
    HEALTH MINISTER STEPHEN Donnelly will bring a memo to Cabinet today on Ireland signing up to a fifth Covid-19 vaccine, which is produced by Moderna.

The State had signed up to four vaccines already – AstraZeneca, Jansen, Sanofi and Pfizer.

We're signing up for Moderna folks!

UK have appointed a Minister for Vaccine deployment, mostly a PR move I'd guess, but not a bad idea. It puts a face on who's responsible and might be an added impetus to get things moving.

I would say the Irish government would like a sacrificial lamb but I doubt anybody is stupid enough to take it on
    it will be a career civil servant who gets the gig

hmmm wrote: »
    I wasn't filled with confidence by something I read earlier in the month. If they have been working on some of these things for months (particularly with the knowledge of the potential cold storage requirements), shouldn't these names have been available immediately? (genuine question).

"Mr Martin said the taskforce will be chaired by Professor Brian MacCraith of DCU. The Chief Medical Officer will also be on the committee along withMr Reid Reid, chair of the senior officials group on Covid-19 Liz Canavan, Government chief information officer Barry Lowry, Government chief procurement officer Paul Quinn, a yet to be confirmed officials from the Department of Business, along with a logistics cold chain expert and project management expert."

The first meeting of the task force was on the 23rd, and this was published:
    https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/de326-first-meeting-of-the-high-level-taskforce-on-covid-19-vaccination/

You would think they would be meeting every day and not once a week
    I mean it is a national health and economic crisis after all

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Ok I’m not aware of the upcoming procedures. And it is confusing when you’ve McConkey and others making noise about data access.

I guess the journalists should stop asking questions about the vaccines then?

If McConkey is asked about a vaccine his response will be that he hasnt been shown data and cant make conclusions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

brisan wrote: »
    You would think they would be meeting every day and not once a week
    I mean it is a national health and economic crisis after all
    Surely they meet. They all go off and do their things then meet again.

Theres work to be done and it cant all be done in a meeting.

JTMan wrote: »
    Sunday Independent reports here and here (paywall):

- Officially speaking the government are saying that vaccinations will start at the end of January but privately those involved expect vaccinations to start at the end of December.
    - Supplies are probably going to arrive in December. One insider said what is the point in storing them rather than putting them to immediate use.
    - Vaccinations could start 5 days to 1 week after the supplies arrive. The supplies might arrive around 11 December.
    - 1.4 million people in Ireland fall under the "vulnerable" category.
    - 'People over 80 in nursing homes' might be the first category to get the vaccine.
    - Decisions still to be made on mass vaccinations centres. (So slow making these decisions versus other countries).

Use Croke park ,The Aviva ,The IKC exhibition Centre in swords and other big facilities around the country
    Drive in get vaccinated and drive out
    Small surgeries just slow things up.
    Local chemists do a better job than Doctors surgeries with the flu jab
    Storage requirements will prevent the surgeries and chemists being involved
    Get the army and civil defense involved

irishgeo wrote: »
    Nothing been approved yet and it's the 1st of December next Tuesday. Unless it's approved and shipped by the end of the week they haven't a hope.

its already shipped and waiting for approval

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I’m now losing faith after that. I may finally have to accept i’ll never be able to travel abroad to visit family again, depressing stuff.

This is exactly why I'm living in a deep depression state.
    I am totally sure that we will never live as we did before, and any simple change in what my life was will make me feel worse.
    Right now I'm not even getting out of home unless to go to work, because life outside is unsettling, and I'm not accepting it.

• Advertisement

They're not publishing plans because there's a lot out of their control.

If vaccine x gets approved they need the data on how vaccine x does with vulnerable groups.

There is no point publishing a list saying the elderly are getting vaccinated first. Then a week later they get actual data that says efficacy on the elderly is 60% while it's 98% in other groups.

If they then pivot and make another group highest priority (expecting another vaccine to have a better performance in the elderly) did they lie to the public? I'm willing to bet a lot of people would accuse them of it?

They have a lot of plans prepared with contingencies based on data.

What do you base this on ?
    They could not protect nursing homes, and hospitals in the second wave even though they knew what to expect

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I am totally sure that we will never live as we did before, and any simple change in what my life was will make me feel worse.
    Right now I'm not even getting out of home unless to go to work, because life outside is unsettling, and I'm not accepting it.
    Well thank Christ you're wrong

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Good point . As a non scientist my list would be something like this

Care Home nurses and carers
    Care Home residents

Frontline staff including all hospital staff and ambulance crews and fire brigade

All vulnerable children and adults with underlying conditions
    All Over 70
    All over 65
    Pharmacists and GP's

Secondary school teachers and SNA
    Secondary pupils
    National School teachers an d SNA

Those living with immuno compromised and very vulnerable
    National school children

rest of population

So you would give it to a heathy 12 yr old before a 64 yr old

wes wrote: »
    The vaccine is what will enable us to get back to normal. The rollout to get to herd immunity will take a while. I reckon this time next year, we should have pretty much all restrictions lifted.

The big question is how fast can we get people vaccinate to achieve herd immunity.

I wonder how you all can be so positive about this.
    All I know is that nothing will be the same. I just can't get this out of my mind.
    In many countries, where the population is several tens millions people, it will take years to distribute the vaccine to a good part of people. One year could not be enough.

Breaking news just now: Pfizer and Biontech have today applied to the European Medicines Agency for conditional marketing authorisation (EUA).

Well thank Christ you're wrong

And how do you know you're right? :)

And how do you know you're right? :)
    Because I've read about the 1920s. We'll be back to normal next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

My sincere sympathies.
    I know a couple of people who are similarly afflicted.
    It's tough.

Maybe avoid discussing Covid.
    All you will hear are opinions.

Hope it improves for you

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

funnydoggy wrote: »

Would have been a done deal anyway seeing as we're in with the EU, we'll ratify whatever deals they agree

• Advertisement

That Sunday Times article posted a few pages back boils my blood.
    Why the **** are we waiting a few days before starting vaccinations?

It literally takes 3-4 hours max from Dublin to anywhere in the country - they could start same day ffs

Paperwork and John from the Dept that looks after the paperwork is on annual leave

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement