Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Russman

St.Spodo wrote: »
    There are 696,000 people over the age of 65 in Ireland and this cohort have made up 92% of coronavirus deaths. If this group are vaccinated within the next 3-4 months, we should be able to ease restrictions substantially ahead of mass vaccination in the summer months.

It’s also the hospitalisations though, maybe even more so than the deaths in a way. If a lot of hospitalisations are coming from the younger, less vulnerable, population, we still need a lot of them vaccinated to avert too much pressure on the health system.

brisan wrote: »
    463 people vaccinated every 15 mins ,12 hrs a day for 6 months would vaccinate
    4 million people
    If it needs 2 doses then that’s 926 doses every 15 mins
    So 1000 medically trained people or 2000 to allow for shift working
    It can be done if the will is there but I doubt the HSE has the ability

For Pfizer and Moderna, it might need special centres/teams to get it done. Astra Zeneca can be done via pharmacies and GPs, like the flu jab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Russman wrote: »
    It’s also the hospitalisations though, maybe even more so than the deaths in a way. If a lot of hospitalisations are coming from the younger, less vulnerable, population, we still need a lot of them vaccinated to avert too much pressure on the health system.

With vaccines coming this is as good as over. By Spring the vulnerable will have been vaccinated and that includes those who currently end up in hospital. I and most people I know have had enough now. Once the vaccines start to roll out anyone promoting restrictions or even anything Covid will get short shrift.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Have they set a bar of 70% uptake to lift restrictions?

Gael23 wrote: »
    Have they set a bar of 70% uptake to lift restrictions?

No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

There are 696,000 people over the age of 65 in Ireland and this cohort have made up 92% of coronavirus deaths. If this group are vaccinated within the next 3-4 months, we should be able to ease restrictions substantially ahead of mass vaccination in the summer months.
    There's no point in having mass vaccinations if a large amount of people catch the virus before they are vaccinated.
    That's what's going to happen if you have a substantial easing of restrictions.
    You'll also be putting the more vulnerable groups at risk because we won't have reached herd immunity.

I'm all for getting back to normal, but too many people have the attitude of once we get the over-65s done, then that's it job done.
    But that really isn't the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I'll try this again as, generally speaking, there's some clever people in this thread (compared to other threads in this subforum):

Let's say I'm vaccinated by April (hopefully with the Pfizer one), what then?

How long till it "kicks in"?

How safe am I to then travel and generally socialize/date more versus now?

Loads of variants at play I know. But these are the things we will weigh up

Anyone?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I'll try this again as, generally speaking, there's some clever people in this thread (compared to other threads in this subforum):

Let's say I'm vaccinated by April (hopefully with the Pfizer one), what then?

How long till it "kicks in"?

How safe am I to then travel and generally socialize/date more versus now?

Loads of variants at play I know. But these are the things we will weigh up

Anyone?

Cheers

Even with the full/full AZ/Oxford one you should be grand at 14 days after your 2nd dose. Just stay away from nursing homes if infection prevalence is high in the community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Even with the full/full AZ/Oxford one you'll be grand at 14 days after your 2nd dose. Just stay away from nursing homes if infection prevalence is high in the community.

Glad it was one of the two main contributors to this thread who replied (the other being Hmmm)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

There's no point in having mass vaccinations if a large amount of people catch the virus before they are vaccinated.
    You'll also be putting the more vulnerable groups at risk because we won't have reached herd immunity.

I'm all for getting back to normal, but too many people have the attitude of once we get the over-65s done, then that's it job done.

By substantial easing of restrictions, I mean, perhaps, a baseline of level 3 restrictions and level 2 in certain areas. I certainly don't want to see the virus run rampant through the less vulnerable among us either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Can't remember who it was but I was listening to an analyst the other day and she said the following.

Hypothetically speaking if all vulnerable people had been immune to covid in March, would there have even been a need for a lockdown or significant restrictions? Probably not. This will be the scenario in 4-6 months time.

Thought it was a decent way of looking at things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

By substantial easing of restrictions, I mean, perhaps, a baseline of level 3 restrictions and level 2 in certain areas. I certainly don't want to see the virus run rampant through the less vulnerable among us either.
    Oh, ok.
    I'd agree with you on getting back to Level 2/3 if the numbers stayed down.
    I thought you were suggesting getting rid of masks or social distancing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

El Sueño wrote: »
    Can't remember who it was but I was listening to an analyst the other day and she said the following.

Hypothetically speaking if all vulnerable people had been immune to covid in March, would there have even been a need for a lockdown or significant restrictions? Probably not. This will be the scenario in 4-6 months time.

Spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Sheep2020

Even with the full/full AZ/Oxford one you'll be grand at 14 days after your 2nd dose. Just stay away from nursing homes if infection prevalence is high in the community.

How can you know this with such certainty?

How can any of the vaccine producers know this?

None of the trialists were followed around or monitored so closely for you to be so specific

By the way, why are you giving medical advice?

Charter I read a few days ago said no medical advice

Your not a doctor

El Sueño wrote: »

It's true alright, we probably wouldn't have

What about the 10% that the vaccine won't work for?

Whats the plan for them?

Sheep2020 wrote: »
    It's true alright, we probably wouldn't have

What about the 10% that the vaccine won't work for?

Whats the plan for them?

Their chances of catching Covid will be low and they have a tiny chance of dying anyways.

They’ll likely remain unaware that the vaccine didn’t work for them.

Not sure if it has been mentioned already but Johnson & Johnson have submitted their vaccine for rolling review with the various regulatory authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

None of the trialists were followed around or monitored so closely for you to be so specific

Your not a doctor

How do you know this, considering that AZ said that they did?

"Participants will be followed for two years after their second vaccination. They will be asked to provide blood and nasopharyngeal samples at their initial visit and will be asked to provide blood samples periodically for the duration of the trial. Scientists will examine the blood samples in the laboratory to measure and characterize immune responses."

Their chances of catching Covid will be low and they have a tiny chance of dying anyways.

They’ll likely remain unaware that the vaccine didn’t work for them.

The vulnerable nursing home residents?

Thought CFR for them was high, like 10-20%

How do you know this, considering that AZ said that they did?

What did AZ, Pfizer, Moderna say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

What did AZ, Pfizer, Moderna say?

Do your own googling and stop spreading misinformation lying.

Guardian reporting UK regulator to license Pfizer BioNTech within days.

Your not a doctor

Modified the wording there to be compliant with site rules, thanks for pointing that out.

The results so far have been good to spectacular from the vaccine trials. The trials have been conducted to all the regulations and standards and then some (nobody asked Oxford to do weekly nasal swabs, they did it anyway). No serious adverse events have been noted against any of the vaccines.
    Contrary to what you're saying, trial participants are monitored very closely (the trial diaries are very detailed).

Will Oxford be approved in Europe 2020?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

Even with the full/full AZ/Oxford one you should be grand at 14 days after your 2nd dose. Just stay away from nursing homes if infection prevalence is high in the community.

Is there any purpose to wearing a mask after this time

Do your own googling and stop spreading misinformation lying.

You shouldn't reply to stuff you dont understand

I was replying to hmmsis post about immunity from initial dose to 2nd dose

Where he said to a poster you'll be grand 14 days after 2nd dose

It meets the efficacy requirement, so in theory it's just a matter of the safety data holding up. Confused by the dosing though. I think a little common sense might need to be applied and for them to allow the half dose full dose regimen to be the go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

So why has to happen before we can start living again then?

They need to finish the trial befor they can apply for the EU version of a EUA. I think they were hoping to get the required number of infections around mid December.

• Advertisement

Modified the wording there to be compliant with site rules, thanks for pointing that out.

The results so far have been good to spectacular from the vaccine trials. The trials have been conducted to all the regulations and standards and then some (nobody asked Oxford to do weekly nasal swabs, they did it anyway). No serious adverse eventa have been noted against any of the vaccines.
    Contrary to what you're saying, trial participants are monitored very closely (the trial diaries are very detailed).

I didn't mean to cause offence, good you changed the wording, it was stange to see it asserted.

I've read most of that as well, all very positive, your kind of going on a tangent though, not answering the question of initial dose to 2nd dose immunity

How do they know sterilising immunity from day 1 to day 40?, 1st dose, 2nd dose, 14 day post

They never deliberately infected anyone

Do they know trialists came in contact with the virus from.day 1 to.40?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement