Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

JTMan wrote: »
    David McRedmond (CEO of An Post) has called for a "sense of urgency" in vaccine distribution in Ireland like there is in the UK. He is correct, we need to hear urgency and a push for speed in the voices of politicians and the HSE. This has to happen quickly to save lives.

Meanwhile, Dr Adrian Hill one of the leaders of the Oxford Vaccine has said vaccine rollout should see normality return “late-Spring /early-Summer”. A separate report in the UK yesterday said that normality would resume around 4 April 2021 (Easter) in the UK. In the US, those in charge of vaccine distribution say normality will resume in May 2021.

https://twitter.com/DavidMcredmond/status/1333005304494252034

What would NPHET do if all the people are vaccinated
    I can almost guarantee that we will be one of the last countries in Europe to be fully vaccinated

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

This is exactly why I'm living in a deep depression state.
    I am totally sure that we will never live as we did before, and any simple change in what my life was will make me feel worse.
    Right now I'm not even getting out of home unless to go to work, because life outside is unsettling, and I'm not accepting it.

Thankfully in my case they are only little slips i go into that are rare ( 99% of the time i’m positive), it’s because of morons like McConkey and some posters on these forums who constantly like to peddle doom and gloom etc.

A couple of posters replied to my post and i’m confident they are right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

brisan wrote: »
    Get the army and civil defense involved

And do what

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

What do you base this on ?
    They could not protect nursing homes, and hospitals in the second wave even though they knew what to expect

I base it on common sense. I think the British are silly for publishing their plans when they haven't got any clue

Cheap sound bites thrown out here by you. What do you base the idea that they could have protected nursing homes and hospitals significantly better?

Do you think nursing homes could have told their staff to move out of their homes and into a hotel where they wouldn't be allowed leave except for work? Do you think nursing homes could have banned 100% of visits including compassionate visits in end of life cases?

That's what protecting nursing homes mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Would have been a done deal anyway seeing as we're in with the EU, we'll ratify whatever deals they agree

Of course! Just great to see it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Thankfully in my case they are only little slips i go into that are rare ( 99% of the time i’m positive), it’s because of morons like McConkey and some posters on these forums who constantly like to peddle doom and gloom etc.

A couple of posters replied to my post and i’m confident they are right.

Many of these doom peddlers just love the sound of their own voice. Misery loves company.

Society is coming back in 2021.

When Oxford goes for it, I'd imagine RTÉ would say something like:

"Vaccine distributor seeking emergency approval amid controversy surrounding its effectiveness"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Hardyn wrote: »
    I seen that Stephen Donnelly said on Newstalk that he does not expect vaccinations to start until early in the new year.

Pretty much every other country I've seen expects to begin before the end of the year. What's the delay?

John from the Dept of vaccinations is on extended Christmas leave

John from the Dept of vaccinations is on extended Christmas leave

They'll probably announce temporarily staff positions for vaccine rollout on publicjobs.ie in the coming months :pac: :P :pac: :P :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Russman

Michael up in purchasing told them to wait til the January sales to get the freezers cheaper............:D

Actually, joking aside, its great that there's an application gone in to the EMA.
    Do they typically take long to review or is their process similar to the FDA ? I think I saw that the FDA are scheduled to meet on 10th (re Pfizer) and on 17th (re Moderna). Could we realistically expect pre Christmas approval in Europe ?

Hardyn wrote: »
    I seen that Stephen Donnelly said on Newstalk that he does not expect vaccinations to start until early in the new year.

Pretty much every other country I've seen expects to begin before the end of the year. What's the delay?

Nothings been approved yet. I think a lot of people expecting vaccines rolled out are being premature.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

What is timeframe for EU approval - if they are going to take a few weeks, Donnelly’s January date might make sense.

I wonder will we start getting daily stats in vaccines?

Will be interesting to see that we had 300 cases today and 4,200 vaccinated bringing the total vaccinated to 100,000 or 1% of population.

Van.Bosch wrote: »

Will be interesting to see that we had 300 cases today and 4,200 vaccinated bringing the total vaccinated to 100,000 or 1% of population.

Would be great. I hope they do this in the interests of transparency:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Don’t give them anything else to do I can imagine people not getting vaccinated because resources are being siphoned off to make more slides.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,957 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Or reported as 99% of the population yet to be vaccinated :(

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

What is timeframe for EU approval - if they are going to take a few weeks, Donnelly’s January date might make sense.

To answer my own question, EMA have set a deadline of Dec 29th, at the latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Was talking to my GP this morning and he is quite cautiously optimistic about the vaccine role out. He reckons realistically we are looking at six months for the population to be vaccinated followed by a four to six month period of slowly easing restrictions and public being wary of whether it has been effective or not so be this time next year before we see a return to what he called relative normality.

Was talking to my GP this morning and he is quite cautiously optimistic about the vaccine role out. He reckons realistically we are looking at six months for the population to be vaccinated followed by a four to six month period of slowly easing restrictions and public being wary of whether it has been effective or not so be this time next year before we see a return to what he called relative normality.

Good post. I agree with timeline.

• Advertisement

Good post. I agree with timeline.

Yeah - seems believable but I think travel next summer will be fairly normal if cases start dropping as people get vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

I think the easing of restrictions will happen in parallel with the vaccination programme, ie as elderly, vulnerable & front line are vaccinated, things will then be eased and monitored. I think 5-6 months.

EMA has set a date of Dec 29th at the latest for a Pfizer decision

EMA has set a date of Dec 29th at the latest for a Pfizer decision

And 12 January for the Moderna decision.

And 12 January for the Moderna decision.

Probably why they have been saying vaccination will start in January in ireland.I wonder when Oxford will be approved. Realistically that's what the ordinary joe soap could get. The others seem hard to roll out quickly.

Find it strange that the EMA is taking longer than the FDA despite the EMA starting 'rolling reviews' :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Because I've read about the 1920s. We'll be back to normal next year.

In the 1920's they were back to normal even without medicine, vaccines, technology and with lack of information and education.
    This is part of what Mike Yeadon said in that video, he said no pandemic has ever been ended with a vaccine.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Given that manufacturing is the challenge here that's not a major issue. We would have been vaccinating a tiny amount in December anyway so while this is ongoing manufacturing can be scaled up.

Now that we have firm dates for the latest at which these can be approved, the Irish Government and the DoH are on notice. They had want to be getting their skates on.

That is pretty much the timeline I am prepared for, but I think that restrictions by the summer will really only be around crowded indoor venues like nightclubs. Pubs and venues will probably remain seating only for a good while. And maybe capacity limits in outdoor stadiums, whether for sport or music. I don't see restrictions in areas other than those specific ones lasting beyond June.

The mask requirement will probably linger for a while, but I imagine that adherence will fall away quite substantially

So for the many people who are less interested in those activities it will all be over

• Advertisement

Find it strange that the EMA is taking longer than the FDA despite the EMA starting 'rolling reviews' :confused:

At least manufacturing is ongoing at the same speed regardless, if approval came through tomorrow you'd only have the doses that are already done, if it comes in 4 weeks time you have that plus what has been done in the meantime.

I must admit though I was a little disappointed to see batches going from Europe to the USA, had been selfishly hoping a bit of vaccine nationalism would be in play and whatever was made in Europe would be used in Europe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement