Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car ploughs through crowd in Germany

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Some posters will be so disappointed if this isn't a Muslim

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Crap, that's terrible. RIP.
    We'll see what the police has to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

greendom wrote: »
    Fair play on the speed of your conclusion jump there. And on not deleting the post in embarrassment.

I wonder what's the age of those posters, if they have just a bad memory or if they do that intentionaly. We all saw what happened on the other cases, not long time ago, all the same modus operandi by the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Oddly enough, none of the rush-to-judgers had "radical, white, right-winger" on their bigoted bingo card.

It's almost like right wing terror attacks aren't anywhere near as common in Europe as Islamic ones. People who rush to assume Islamic involvement are simply using their pattern recognition.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

In much the same way some people will revel in the fact that it's not a Muslim

More point scoring bollocks from both sides who don't seem to give a **** about the incident but just care about furthering their bull**** fight against each other.

• Advertisement

More point scoring bollocks from both sides who don't seem to give a **** about the incident but just care about furthering their bull**** fight against each other.
    Rebuking someone who incites hatred is not point-scoring.

Oh ffs. It's hatred to recognise that this horrendous attack had all the hallmarks of an Islamic attack and state that?

Inciting hatred?

Jesus wept.

Considering vehicle rampages in Stockholm, Nice, Berlin, Barcelona, London Bridge and Westminster Bridge the last few years it's not a surprise that a Islamist is the go-to assumption, don't you think?

I am old enough to remember when it wasn't the go-to assumption.
    That was 20 years ago...

Oh ffs. It's hatred to recognise that this horrendous attack had all the hallmarks of an Islamic attack and state that?

Inciting hatred?

Jesus wept.
    Inciting hatred online carries a penalty of up to 2 years in prison in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

biko wrote: »
    Considering vehicle rampages in Stockholm, Nice, Berlin, Barcelona, London Bridge and Westminster Bridge the last few years it's not a surprise that a Islamist is the go-to assumption, don't you think?

I am old enough to remember when it wasn't the go-to assumption.
    That was 20 years ago...

Yes I know, I assumed it was too, I still think people will be disappointed it wasn't a muslim though.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately there will be a real Islamist attack soon somewhere in Europe.
    They will never stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

I didn’t jump to conclusions. I remember too well that guy in Toronto who rented a van a coupla years ago and rammed it into a bunch of people. His gripe was that he couldn’t find a girlfriend.

Well, guess what, he probably has a lot of mail in prison from prospects. That is the sad state of humanity.

I don’t fault gervais for thinking this was the case of someone on the terror trail, what with Christmas markets happening in German and Alsatian towns, but there are plenty of kooks out there.

Nobody on here has come close to inciting hatred.

Nobody on here has come close to inciting hatred.
    That re-reg poster has had their posts deleted and a few other posts were deleted from the thread.

TomTomTim wrote: »
    It's almost like right wing terror attacks aren't anywhere near as common in Europe as Islamic ones. People who rush to assume Islamic involvement are simply using their pattern recognition.

There have been ten terror attacks in Germany in the last two years.

6 were right-wingers.
    2 were Islamists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Liamo57

Hopefully it is not terrorist related.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

Oh stop with the sanctimonious preaching. You were posting "point scoring bollocks" daily in the Paris incident thread:
    Isnt it mad that the people who oppose the unfettered influx of Islam are usually branded far right too?

When its beginning to look like it was a German national from a nearby village that caused the deaths, and not some "illegal muslim immigrant" you are suddenly asking for people to refrain themselves. :rolleyes:

That re-reg poster has had their posts deleted and a few other posts were deleted from the thread.

If that is the case, mea culpa, but I have not seen anything on this thread that comes close.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

6 were right-wingers.
    2 were Islamists.

Where you got those numbers from?

McHardcore wrote: »
    Oh stop with the sanctimonious preaching. You were posting "point scoring bollocks" daily in the Paris incident thread:

When its beginning to look like it was a German national from a nearby village that caused the deaths, and not some "illegal muslim immigrant" you are suddenly asking for people to refrain themselves. :rolleyes:

Sanctimonious preaching?

I never once said people should refrain. It's a horrible horrible incident regardless of what ethnicity, religion, sex or gender the perpetrator was. People can discuss however they see fit.

My point was simply, when someone says "oooh those right wingers are gonna be raging it's not a Muslim", they are just as bad as those who say "all those Muslim sympathisers will be out clutching their pearls". They both come across as dicks, especially when not seeming to care about or wanting to discuss the topic.

Also, that quote is not point scoring. It was saying that it's ridiculous that people who oppose illegal and unchecked immigration of people from Islamic countries (and any country I may add) are branded far right.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

.anon. wrote: »
    The assumption isn't racist. The rush to post it is.

:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

These are the dangerous kinds of people that need to be kept out of power in this Country. They're the type who are behind the so-called hate speech laws they're trying to foist upon us.

A dedicated Irish thought-Gestapo is their wet dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

6 were right-wingers.
    2 were Islamists.

According to Wikipedia, if you count all terror attacks in Germany, there were:

10 Attacks

2 were lefties
    6 were right-wingers
    2 were islamists

Just adding sourcing to your comment as it was being questioned later in the thread. Some people find it difficult to believe that Germany could have a right-winger problem.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thread title amended - nothing at this stage to indicate it was a terror attack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

It's absolutely not the same. 'Revelling' is the wrong word, but I'll be happier or relieved if it turns out not to have been carried out by someone with a wider agenda - be that Islamic extremism, far-right extremism or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

biko wrote: »
    Unfortunately there will be a real Islamist attack soon somewhere in Europe.
    They will never stop.

There will be at some point.

Dies that mean every accident or attack should be treated as one?
    Should we continue to Stoke the flames with generalisations about older religious types grooming terrorists or allude about the tanning of skin?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

km991148 wrote: »
    There will be at some point.

Dies that mean every accident or attack should be treated as one?
    Should we continue to Stoke the flames with generalisations about older religious types grooming terrorists or allude about the tanning of skin?

You say “at some point” like there haven’t been any! Ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Gervais08 wrote: »
    You say “at some point” like there haven’t been any! Ffs.

Not really, I'm just agreeing that sure as sh!t there will be an Islamic terrorist attack. I don't know where you took it to mean that I am somehow pretending there wasn't one. I'm not looking for an argument here.. just challenging the acceptable level of xenophobia or religious discrimination.

Also why live in fear? Why keep the stereotypes going?

Any answer to what I asked?

These are the dangerous kinds of people that need to be kept out of power in this Country. They're the type who are behind the so-called hate speech laws they're trying to foist upon us.

A dedicated Irish thought-Gestapo is their wet dream.
    And a situation where people can incite hatred(as is an everyday occurrence around these parts) allowing them to insinuate themselves in to power by democratic means then exterminate 6 million people is the history we don't want to repeat.
    Free speech is protected in the German Constitution of 1949 but certainly not as a carte blanche for hate speech, hetze.
    https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/gg/art_5.html

Your Nirvana would be some poor unfortunate's Hell. The Germans learnt a hard lesson that you haven't learnt but isn't it cool to be a liberal like yerself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

The driver of the car 'Bernd' had not been in his apartment in days but had stayed in the car. He had 1400 mg alcohol in his blood after arrest. So far nothing hints at a terror attack according to district state attorney. A psychiatric assessment will be made.

Advertisement