Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car ploughs through crowd in Germany

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

These two posts on the front page of this thread give an accurate snapshot of Current Affairs/IMHO at the moment.

534942.png

One jumps to the conclusion that it is a terror attack, that refugees are to blame and without giving any source of evidence.
    The second gives factual information along with the source that it came from.

One post gets 21 thanks.
    The second post only gets 4 thanks.

It is unfortunate to see this post-truth bollocks making its way into Irish society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Not all muslims are extremist jihadis but all extremist jihadis are muslim.

This occasion the incident in Germany was not a jihadist muslim attack but there have literally been 100s of jihadist muslim attacks on European citizens in recent years so it's not really a leap to jump to conclusion.

But Christmas and new year is coming so Europe is again on high alert.

France are spearheading the campaign for European border reform. The sooner the better.
    As Macron said: "Fear is about to change sides"

Meanwhile the battle as to who can be most politically correct wage on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Gervais08 wrote: »
    It’ll be a terror attack.
    It’ll be a recently arrived Muslim refugee
    People will make excuses

We know the pattern by now.

This occasion the incident in Germany was not a jihadist muslim attack but there have literally been 100s of jihadist muslim attacks on European citizens in recent years so it's not really a leap to jump to conclusion.

Looks like the very definition of jumping to a conclusion.

An incorrect assumption is thne most thanked post in this thread. Sad

Looks like the very definition of jumping to a conclusion.

Is your entire contribution and interest just based on "don't jump to conclusions" ?

If so that's fair enough but
    I will continue to jump to any and all conclusions regarding all and any topics I see fit if I so choose to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

McHardcore wrote: »
    These two posts on the front page of this thread give an accurate snapshot of Current Affairs/IMHO at the moment.

One jumps to the conclusion that it is a terror attack, and that refugees are to blame without giving any source of evidence.

One post gets 21 thanks.

It is unfortunate to see this post-truth bollocks making its way into Irish society.

You people keep trying to frame this as if Islamic terrorism is some sort of outlier and that people who assume Islamic involvement are being irrational. Nearly all such attacks are done by Islamist's, so it's completely rational to assume it's likely Islamic terrorism.

If I assume all these attacks are done by Islamist's as a default position, how many times will I be wrong out of a 100 attacks? 3 maybe 4 times? While we probably should never jump to conclusions, those who do jump to said conclusion will often be right.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

km991148 wrote: »
    I guess that's your choice to deliberately not continue. Like I say, based on direct experience as an outsider looking in (to both religions). For the record tho, I did say Catholicism a short while ago. They are obviously not the exact same and both have very different sets of problems.
    So as an outsider looking in I presume you mean the grooming and sex with children is what makes Islam similar to Catholicism "a short while ago"?
    km991148 wrote: »
    Out of interest, how many Muslims do you know / have you known over the years?

Probably as many as you.

TomTomTim wrote: »
    You people keep trying to frame this as if Islamic terrorism is some sort of outlier and that people who assume Islamic involvement are being irrational. Nearly all such attacks are done by Islamist's, so it's completely rational to assume it's likely Islamic terrorism.

If I assume all these attacks are done by Islamist's as a default position, how many times will I be wrong out of a 100 attacks? 3 maybe 4 times? While we probably should never jump to conclusions, those who do jump to said conclusion will often be right.

Still can't get over the number of islamophobes assuming a chap deliberately mowing shoppers down in his vehicle was an jihadi attack.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

These speculative threads need to be paused until some solid information is known. And then closed when they clearly go off topic in a political manner.

Yeah that's a good idea for a discussion forum....
    Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Its telling that the right to make unfounded allegations is being so staunchly defended.

What are you talking about? People have the right to say what they want.

"Unfounded allegations?" You make it sound like there's court case going on down the road that could be implicated by discussion outside not a car attack in Germany!

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

M&S stabbing: Two women attacked in Burnley store and have been seriously injured in a stabbing at a Marks & Spencer store this morning. Source

Now don't jump to conclusions......

https://twitter.com/MeghUpdates/status/1334109290810859520

• Advertisement

M&S stabbing: Two women attacked in Burnley store and have been seriously injured in a stabbing at a Marks & Spencer store this morning. Source

To be fair, when I hear of a stabbing in UK , its another ethnic group I think of.
    Although, that chap in the video doesn't exactly look AngloSaxon

• Registered Users Posts: 34,045 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I'm loving the lady with a bag on each hand walking out with not a care in the world, on she goes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Wasn't there news of another stabbing incident in the UK in a supermarket around two weeks ago?
    I saw mention of it on twitter, I think, but heard nothing more about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭francois

The sense of disappointment that this wasn't a muslim terror attack is palpable among a certain cohort of posters

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

francois wrote: »
    The sense of disappointment that this wasn't a muslim terror attack is palpable among a certain cohort of posters

Only in your head.

Weekly occurrence at this stage. How is it surprising that people might "jump to conclusions"

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55066858

"Switzerland has identified hundreds of residents deemed a threat as well as militants who have travelled to war zones"

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Discuss the topic at hand or dont post.

This isnt a thread for discussing how people discuss the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is an interesting aspect by one of my favourite mathematicians, Hannah Fry

• Registered Users Posts: 39,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

He has been deemed "sane" and will face murder charges.

Obviously that could change.

He was waving and was drunk.
    Maybe he snapped and decided to lash out at strangers?
    Four people were killed and 10 others wounded after a drunk man sped in his S.U.V. through a pedestrian shopping street in the city..

The man, a 51-year-old German who was born in Trier and lived in the surrounding area, was stopped by police after driving a zigzag course roughly half a mile long down the busy street lined with shops. Prosecutor Peter Fritzen said the man, who officials declined to name, was drunk and appeared to have been living in the vehicle, which was confiscated.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/01/world/europe/germany-car-pedestrians.html

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    Source?

McHardcore wrote: »

One jumps to the conclusion that it is a terror attack, that refugees are to blame and without giving any source of evidence.

One post gets 21 thanks.

I am far from being politically correct but it was clear from page one that this was unlikely to be a terrorist attack. Within a few posts the fact that it was a white German, and 51 years old, would statistically rule that out. The age isnt the age of mostislamic terrorists, and most Islamic terrorists are not white European.

In fact the mention of the insulin injector made me feel that it wasn't even deliberate.

edit:

Even worse I see that Gervais08 is repsponding to this
    most reports are just saying 2 dead and a 51 year old man arrested, I wouldnt jump to terror attack on that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

francois wrote: »

I was wondering how the thread was still going. All the thoughts and prayers fade quickly when its not a Muslim. Bringing in other attacks to save their blushes.

Bowie wrote: »
    I was wondering how the thread was still going. All the thoughts and prayers fade quickly when its not a Muslim. Bringing in other attacks to save their blushes.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/dec/02/man-57-is-arrested-on-suspicion-of-attempted-in-burnley-ms

Will they or won't they declare it as a terror attack?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭quokula

There were 4,700 hospitalisations for knife crimes in the last year in England (source)

Assuming it was an average day, why are you particularly obsessed with those two non-fatal stabbings and not the other 10 that occurred in the same country on the same day? Something specific about the perpetrator perhaps that means you care more about them than the other 10 perpetrators who you would rather ignore? Not entirely your fault of course as the media will ignore them too.

And what has a non fatal stabbing in the UK got to do with a German man killing multiple people by driving into a crowd?

quokula wrote: »
    There were 4,700 hospitalisations for knife crimes in the last year in England (source)

Assuming it was an average day, why are you particularly obsessed with those two non-fatal stabbings and not the other 10 that occurred in the same country on the same day? Something specific about the perpetrator perhaps that means you care more about them than the other 10 perpetrators who you would rather ignore? Not entirely your fault of course as the media will ignore them too.

And what has a non fatal stabbing in the UK got to do with a German man killing multiple people by driving into a crowd?

I'm only interested in terrorism and possible terrorism.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

quokula wrote: »
    Nothing.

It's the same thing that usually happens when an attacker doesn't turn out to suit them - bring in different attacks, try to turn the thread into something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

I seen the video of him passing one of the shops - he was absolutely flying down the street, scary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Boggles wrote: »

Obviously that could change.

Hopefully he's put away for a long long time. I have no time for this but he was drunk angle either.
    Hope those injured recover quickly. The family of the 5 must be devastated.. senseless.

• Advertisement

osarusan wrote: »
    Nothing.
    It's the same thing that usually happens when an attacker doesn't turn out to suit them - bring in different attacks, try to turn the thread into something else.
    Bowie wrote: »
    I was wondering how the thread was still going. All the thoughts and prayers fade quickly when its not a Muslim terrorist. Bringing in other attacks to save their blushes.

FYP.

Its a sad indictment of discourse.

Most here have a problem with Islamists- that you deliberately conflate this with Muslims, speaks to your unwillingness to engage in good faith.

A car ploughs into people - you've people gloating if it turns out it was not an Islamist attack, assuming righteous indignation, and deriding others' "disappointment".

That we are even discussing possible motive of deliberately driving into a crown of people is lost, on those people, to discuss is to be a right wing bigot of some form.

Heres a take-home - no one is "delighted" when someone ploughs into a crowd of people. No one is "disappointed" if it turns out to be non-Islamist.

Advertisement