Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car ploughs through crowd in Germany

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Diabetic attack?

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Diabetic attack?

Going by the distance travelled I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭weisses

ElJeffe wrote: »
    :confused:

On what?

The outcome as to what exactly happened ...

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    51 seems to be on the older side for islamic terrorist attack.
    Yeah that would be extremely unusual

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Natural enough to assume it’s terror related given the history of such attacks so I don’t blame people for speculation but let’s wait until we know for sure eh?

• Advertisement

He drove the full length of Simeonstrasse into the market square.

blick-auf-simeonstrae-dom-trier-unesco-welterbe-rheinland-pfalz-deutschland-image357067878.html?pv=1&stamp=2&imageid=FE484274-3F24-40FF-86DE-68164BB40F6A&p=3695&n=0&orientation=0&pn=1&searchtype=0&IsFromSearch=1&srch=foo%3dbar%26st%3d0%26pn%3d1%26ps%3d100%26sortby%3d2%26resultview%3dsortbyPopular%26npgs%3d0%26qt%3dtrier%2520simeonstra%c3%9fe%26qt_raw%3dtrier%2520simeonstra%c3%9fe%26lic%3d3%26mr%3d0%26pr%3d0%26ot%3d0%26creative%3d%26ag%3d0%26hc%3d0%26pc%3d%26blackwhite%3d%26cutout%3d%26tbar%3d1%26et%3d0x000000000000000000000%26vp%3d0%26loc%3d0%26imgt%3d0%26dtfr%3d%26dtto%3d%26size%3d0xFF%26archive%3d1%26groupid%3d%26pseudoid%3d%26a%3d%26cdid%3d%26cdsrt%3d%26name%3d%26qn%3d%26apalib%3d%26apalic%3d%26lightbox%3d%26gname%3d%26gtype%3d%26xstx%3d0%26simid%3d%26saveQry%3d%26editorial%3d1%26nu%3d%26t%3d%26edoptin%3d%26customgeoip%3d%26cap%3d1%26cbstore%3d1%26vd%3d0%26lb%3d%26fi%3d2%26edrf%3d%26ispremium%3d1%26flip%3d0%26pl%3d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

km991148 wrote: »
    You know someone that seen it?

Sh!t - are they ok? Must have been quite terrifying to be that close.

Not seen it. They live in Trier. It is what people there are saying.
    Edit - I am not saying ''terror'' attack, but it does not seem to be an accident.

grayzer75 wrote: »
    He drove the full length of Simeonstrasse into the market square.
    Thats 200m odd according to google maps

Thats 200m odd according to google maps

Exactly, with on street flower beds / seating etc there's no way you'd make it up to the square by accident. He entered the square on the right hand side near McDonalds and ploughed into more people there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,149 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Mental illness I assume?

The assumption being the illness applies to anyone taking their news from the Daily Express.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

KarlMarks wrote: »
    Shameful jumping to conclusions on this thread.

Jumping to conclusions yes. I wouldn't call it surprising still less shameful given the history of such incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

From comments and pictures the police seemed to be close and reacted by ramming and pinning the vehicle.

Been to trier years ago, it's highly pedestrianized. I drove in and out but not much around the town but I can't see someone getting where this happened by accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

The BBC must think it's an islamic terrorist attack, as they updated their story a few minutes ago, but are sticking with the "Two Killed By Car" headline - if they thought the motive was anything other than islamic terrorism, they would go with a "German Man Kills Two" headline, but it may be that they aren't sure yet, so are playing it safe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

RandRuns wrote: »
    The BBC are sticking with the "Two Killed By Car" headline

Someone on this thread said it was up to four.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

https://m.bild.de/regional/frankfurt/frankfurt-aktuell/auch-kleines-kind-unter-opfern-der-amokfahrt-in-trier-74237304.bildMobile.html

German usually well informed source. No political background
    Edit Spiegel says first name Bernd.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Gervais08 wrote: »
    It’ll be a terror attack.
    It’ll be a recently arrived Muslim refugee
    People will make excuses

We know the pattern by now.

Fair play on the speed of your conclusion jump there. And on not deleting the post in embarrassment.

People will make excuses

I'm embarrassed for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

People will make excuses

The gleeful reaction from racists whenever something like this happens is very distasteful.

.anon. wrote: »
    The gleeful reaction from racists whenever something like this happens is very distasteful.

It was hardly racist and certainly not unreasonable or unfounded to assume something like this is an islamic terrorist attack

racists

Not a race

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

It was hardly racist and certainly not unreasonable or unfounded to assume something like this is an islamic terrorist attack

The assumption isn't racist. The rush to post it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Incidents like this are not shocking anymore and you can see why people jump to conclusions that a person from a certain religious grouping is likely the prime culprit.

It may not be the case in this instance but this certain grouping have radical sections and have form for this kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

silverharp wrote: »
    most reports are just saying 2 dead and a 51 year old man arrested, I wouldnt jump to terror attack on that one

If you were one of the two people dead or their families,you wouldn’t be “just saying”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

7 have died now according to Sky. Definitely not an accident as the German reporter saying the mans motive is unknown. 51yo German national. Scumbag regardless of motive.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,490 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Sectarian then?
    Yes, I agree that it is always a thought to the foremost of my mind when I here about an attack of this type.
    I do have issue with people racing to label attacks such as this immediately.
    It's always a race to blame Islam or be the 1st to post "religion of peace".

I get it, I really do but for the sake of a little time and of gathering more detail it does save people outing themselves fairly immediately as islamophobic or in the case of those referring to brown Germans, overtly racist.

Oddly enough, none of the rush-to-judgers had "radical, white, right-winger" on their bigoted bingo card.

The assumption isn't racist. The rush to post it is.

Assuming its an islamic attack is ok, but saying that you assume it is an islamic attack is "racist".

Ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

When I heard about it first I was told it was a 51 year old from a nearby village. It does not seem possible to be an accident from the description of the route taken and the car emerging into the square. And surely regardless of who the person is it is a terrorist attack (as long as it was not an accident, which I doubt very much) as it is designed to inspire terror. It is a terrible thing that happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

If you were one of the two people dead ….,you wouldn’t be “just saying”.

I cant fault your logic

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

Oddly enough, none of the rush-to-judgers had "radical, white, right-winger" on their bigoted bingo card.

And for good reason.

Advertisement