Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Heard it on the news earlier playing it up big time - don't trust any viewing figures from anyone especially RTE (except maybe Netflix et al who can actually verifiably count viewers)

Its basically a fully sponsored show bringing in lots of money for RTE and the kids are a nice touch - and Tubridy is the most awkward person I've ever seen around kids

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

fritzelly wrote: »
    Heard it on the news earlier playing it up big time - don't trust any viewing figures from anyone especially RTE (except maybe Netflix et al who can actually verifiably count viewers)

Its basically a fully sponsored show bringing in lots of money for RTE and the kids are a nice touch - and Tubridy is the most awkward person I've ever seen around kids

It's so awkward when he insults the kids too.

I remember him making fun of one poor girl's laugh, when she was clearly nervous. She was self conscious for the rest of the bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,940 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

fritzelly wrote: »
    Tubridy is the most awkward person I've ever seen around kids

You not old enough to remember Pat hosting it?

Boggles wrote: »
    You not old enough to remember Pat hosting it?

And even Tubridy out awkwards him. It's uncanny.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭KarlMarks

#RTEBIAS trending on Twitter. The sooner we get rid of RTÉ the better. Its no longer fit for purpose and exists as little more than a propoganda wing of the establishment. It was infiltrated by Stickies back in the 70s and 80s and their hatred towards republicans is obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Pats Late Late was still 100 times better than Tubridy's Late Late.
    For all the stick Pat got, he was/is an excellent broadcaster, and he could actually interview a guest.

Tubridy just comes across as a weasel of a man, with absolutely zero charisma, and zero likability with no doubt a huge team of researchers at his disposal to do his donkey work for him.
    Pat always knew/knows his subject matter inside out.

For all the stick Pat got, he was/is an excellent broadcaster, and he could actually interview a guest.

Tubridy just comes across as a weasel of a man, with absolutely zero charisma, and zero likability with no doubt a huge team of researchers at his disposal to do his donkey work for him.

Pat was good with children too. Folks forget that.

Legitimately. He had fun at the Toy show, for Tubridy it's clearly a slog.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bossdrum

I'm amazed people actually think he likes doing it.
    It seems obvious to me that he constantly mentions it on the radio to distract at how bad he is at doing the regular Late Late.
    I wouldn't be too happy if my children's teachers treated them like Tubridy does on the Toy Show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

KarlMarks wrote: »
    #RTEBIAS trending on Twitter. The sooner we get rid of RTÉ the better. Its no longer fit for purpose and exists as little more than a propoganda wing of the establishment. It was infiltrated by Stickies back in the 70s and 80s and their hatred towards republicans is obvious.

Some interesting comments on that Twitter discussion. The dislike of RTE is far and wide it appears.
    Just looking at the poll on this thread, around 97% want change at RTE, with 30% of posters wanting it scrapped altogether. Yet, even with the obvious distain/distaste of RTE and them knowing it, they will not even superficially try to change their ways. They could at least pretend to be impartial.

This is from the RTE web site:
    Trust is the cornerstone of RTÉ. Our content should be honest, reliable, authoritative, accurate, impartial, fair and independent of vested interests.
    I just noticed the word "should" (my bold) in their mission statement. I think that's the problem right there. It is not even a real commitment from them.
    RTE is a disgrace and one of these days a whistleblower will forego the very lucrative wage, pension and/or redundancy package, and shine a public light on the obvious irregularities happening at our national broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

I can't get Irish TV through my satellite dish. So I don't pay a fee. I've never had a request for a fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Scoondal wrote: »
    I can't get Irish TV through my satellite dish. So I don't pay a fee. I've never had a request for a fee.

If you don't have a telly you don't need a licence.

This thread might be helpful - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055794011&page=105

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Get some celebrity children on and watch Tubbs' little face light up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Sorry doesn't work that way. But the non-collection works exactly like that. Was in the post office the other day an old lady buying 10 stamps for the TV licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,501 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Of course you can. You're just pointed at the wrong satellite and using the wrong LNB :p

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

RTÉ are lining us up like a set of dominos, but they'll be using a bowling ball to knock us down with their Christmas bonanza....

Baz Ashamway will be here with a documentary about Fungie going missing!! (Thats Fungie the dolphin from the sea off Dingle for those of you that are unaware....)

Lets crossover to RTÉ fanboys Joe.IswearTubridydidntsayF**K.ie for the latest on the Christmas schedule...
    That documentary is one of the highlights of the RTÉ Christmas TV schedule announced on Wednesday, which also includes The Real Field and The Busk - A Decade of Christmas on Grafton Street.

/rte-christmas-schedule-710457

Cancel Netflix everyone.. RTÉ are here to save 2020!

Baz Ashamway will be here with a documentary about Fungie going missing!! (Thats Fungie the dolphin from the sea off Dingle for those of you that are unaware....)

That mammal built more houses and put more people through college than any multi national ever did.

(Fungie not Baz)

Too right he gets honored in a documentary.

That mammal built more houses and put more people through college than any multi national ever did.

(Fungie not Baz)

Too right he gets honored in a documentary.

And someone put his obituary up on rip.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Basically RTÉ are push new commissions because for some reason the Commissioning team took off for 2020 rather than searching for new shows to be made in 2021.
    RTÉ is not expected to reach its statutory minimum spend of about €40 million on independent television and radio commissions in 2020 after the Covid-19 pandemic led to substantial production disruptions across the sector for much of the year.
    Independent producers believe Montrose will instead avail of a clause in the Broadcasting Act that permits it to carry over any shortfall in spending to the following year. This has led to rising expectations that it will soon escalate its level of commissioning in a bid to play catch-up on its obligations.
    “think Family Fortunes rather than Mastermind”

Think to yourself RTÉ Commissioner Family Fortunes is a Game Show, Mastermind is a Quizshow, they are different genres.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/rt%C3%A9-challenges-producers-on-saturday-night-quiz-show-1.4422775

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

45k seems like a pittance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭iseegirls

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/1202/1181778-rte-unwraps-christmas-2020-tv-and-radio-crackers/
    Main link to the Xmas press release.

Some stellar standouts here amongst others:
    • Jennifer Zamparelli and Nicky Byrne get their sparkle back on to remember more footloose and fancy-free times as they look back over some magical moments in a one-hour Dancing with the Stars special.
    • At 6pm on 2FM The National Chart Show with Bláthnaid Treacy will announce this year's Christmas No.1 as well as replaying all the Number 1's from the year 2020.

• Advertisement

iseegirls wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/1202/1181778-rte-unwraps-christmas-2020-tv-and-radio-crackers/
    Main link to the Xmas press release.

Some stellar standouts here amongst others:
    • Jennifer Zamparelli and Nicky Byrne get their sparkle back on to remember more footloose and fancy-free times as they look back over some magical moments in a one-hour Dancing with the Stars special.
    • At 6pm on 2FM The National Chart Show with Bláthnaid Treacy will announce this year's Christmas No.1 as well as replaying all the Number 1's from the year 2020.

Every year, it feels like this when looking at RTE's schedule.

giphy.gif

They brought back the Den... because of course they did... because RTe is trading on Nostalgia rather than actually producing anything new.

The nostalgia train sailed many years ago... RTe are just 20 years behind right now.

Agree completely with only one notable exception. That Jerry Seinfield interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭satguy

They will air Mrs Browns Boys Christmas special 2020,, after we have all seen it on BBC1 ..

oh.. and Dolly Parton (age 74 years), is going to sing a song via Zoom.

All ads on the iPlayer will be in HD and non skippable, and won't play if you use an adblocker. That's if it works at all.

Agree completely with only one notable exception. That Jerry Seinfield interview.

Tubridy had a kid do a Covid test on a toy. No offence meant, but folks lost friends and family to Covid... that seems highly insensitive, imo.

Tubridy had a kid do a Covid test on a toy. No offence meant, but folks lost friends and family to Covid... that seems highly insensitive, imo.

Oh I know. I can't stand Tubridy and thought Pat was always more genuine than got credit for. In that particular interview I suspect Jerry was tacked on at the last minute and Pat didn't get properly briefed on it or given any background as to who he was.

satguy wrote: »
    They will air Mrs Browns Boys Christmas special 2020,, after we have all seen it on BBC1 ..

oh.. and Dolly Parton (age 74 years), is going to sing a song via Zoom.

All ads on the iPlayer will be in HD and non skippable, and won't play if you use an adblocker. That's if it works at all.

Tried to watch something on the iPlayer last night, just refused to work with no error, just "computer says nothing".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭satguy

Tried to watch something on the iPlayer last night, just refused to work with no error, just "computer says nothing".

Same here..

Last few times I used it, the ads worked, then it crashed,, I gave up after a few more tries..

The IT team at RTE seemed to have gotten their jobs through nepotism, and not through qualifications.

They should all be sacked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN-uaJ2Hb3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRSKonY3Fr0

No he didn't.

Also I thought you didn't watch it?

satguy wrote: »
    Same here..

Last few times I used it, the ads worked, then it crashed,, I gave up after a few more tries..

The IT team at RTE seemed to have gotten their jobs through nepotism, and not through qualifications.

They should all be sacked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN-uaJ2Hb3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRSKonY3Fr0

The player is outsourced to a private company AFAIK.

• Advertisement

The player is outsourced to a private company AFAIK.

Is the company's name AFAIK? As in

All
    F*cked Up
    And
    Insufferably
    Knackered

?

Advertisement