Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

Is the company's name AFAIK? As in

All
    F*cked Up
    And
    Insufferably
    Knackered

?

No, that was the design document.

The limited android player for android TV sticks appears to work well not that I watch RTE.
    https://www.joujoujou.com/images/rte.apk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Why have those presenters not resigned yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

fritzelly wrote: »
    45k seems like a pittance
    The maximum budget per episode is €45,000, RTÉ said in its commissioning brief, while the preferred production model is one where a number of episodes can be recorded a day – an industry norm – to maximise cost efficiency. Original formats “as well as established ones” are welcomed.

RTÉ are dressing up daytime quiz/game show as prime time.
    a pre-watershed slot for 12 weeks with a 40-minute running time

540,000 for the show, 3 days production, most of that is going on the set and presenter. On a show that will only get one season, so the reusable set become an unnecessary cost. And because you need a new set it will need to be built and its economy (if good) only pays off after season 3.

It won't get past season one because the audience see through this, and RTÉ then blame the audiences high standards for never making a game/quiz show again.

Anyone remember the last Game/Quiz show from RTÉ, and how many episodes were produced, for bonus point the presenter and for extra bonus points how many times its been repeated. :)

No not Winning Streak.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Elmo wrote: »
    RTÉ are dressing up daytime quiz/game show as prime time.

540,000 for the show, 3 days production, most of that is going on the set and presenter. On a show that will only get one season, so the reusable set become an unnecessary cost. And because you need a new set it will need to be built and its economy (if good) only pays off after season 3.

It won't get past season one because the audience see through this, and RTÉ then blame the audiences high standards for never making a game/quiz show again.

Anyone remember the last Game/Quiz show from RTÉ, and how many episodes were produced, for bonus point the presenter and for extra bonus points how many times its been repeated. :)

No not Winning Streak.

Anne Doyle 1Ep never repeated.

• Advertisement

sligojoek wrote: »
    Anne Doyle 1Ep never repeated.

The name of the show?
    Anne Doyle - Correct
    1 Episode - Correct
    Odd as it seems its been repeat but how many times?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

No idea of the name. I never heard of it being repeated. Maybe it was on Plus1 an hour later.

No idea of the name. I never heard of it being repeated. Maybe it was on Plus1 an hour later.

Bonus round what year?

I think but I could be wrong it was repeated twice, it was definitely repeated one Sunday afternoon, but I think it was repeated a second time after that. I am not counting +1.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

The worst thing about that programme was that about 3/4s of the contestants didnt get to answer any question at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭jmcc

Does RTE Player still use Flash?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

jmcc wrote: »
    Does RTE Player still use Flash?

Regards...jmcc

It's worse than that - it uses some proprietary software that no one know how it works, in fact its quite a bit of insidious software, even when you detach the tab it pauses the ads in case you may not be watching them. Then when you pause live stream it says hell to that we're gonna jump to the live part so you have to come back tomorrow to watch the whole thing again with adds (and when we say watch again we mean just watch ads in the vain hope the program actually loads and don't think about fast forwarding it because we're gonna force you to watch ads again and again and again)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

Pats Late Late was still 100 times better than Tubridy's Late Late.
    For all the stick Pat got, he was/is an excellent broadcaster, and he could actually interview a guest.

Tubridy just comes across as a weasel of a man, with absolutely zero charisma, and zero likability with no doubt a huge team of researchers at his disposal to do his donkey work for him.

Pat always knew/knows his subject matter inside out.

Pat started out, on Today Tonight interviewing TD's using facts and figures.

Tubridy couldn't interview a Councillor from anywhere in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Pat started out, on Today Tonight interviewing TD's using facts and figures.

Tubridy couldn't interview a Councillor from anywhere in Ireland.

Unless they had a book to sell, or had a serious illness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Wow. That was bad. Really bad

Got all the questions right. It's definitely not Mastermind, thats for sure.

The format is/was too complicated, and while I like Ann Doyle as a no nonsense news presenter, she has no charm in that, though I suppose it's hard to show charisma when the contestants are in another room.

McGaggs wrote: »
    Unless they had a book to sell, or had a serious illness

Even better if the councilor died tragically following a long illness and the interview is with their partner... Even better if they are gay .... Better still if transgender ... Better still if they had lost a child ... Better still if they adopted twins from Belarus... Better still if their house burned down ... Better still if they'd been in a car crash ... Better still if their story was first told on liveline ... Better still if they are looking for an apology from SF ... Better still if it can have the audience in tears ....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Wow. That was bad. Really bad

You havent' seen Superstar Dogs.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/irish-showbiz/ray-darcy-make-debut-rte-4880572

Can't even find a clip of it. Was it bad? Yes. Was it produced around the same time as Ann Doyle's s**tfest? Yes it was.

Was it repeated just as often? Yep.

Was it far more cringeworthy, to the point of causing physical pain?

Yes...yes it was...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Wonder what the definition of gender equality is at RTE?
    On Morning Ireland this morning, we had a woman introducing the news, a woman reading the news, a woman reading the weather report, and straight after that, a woman doing the segment on 'What it says in the papers'. In fairness, they did have George Lee on during the news telling us that we will have 1,200 daily Covid cases in early January, but I'm not sure if George counts.

Come to think of it, why do they need 4 people to do those jobs, why can't the one person do it? But anyway, yes, gender equality at RTE, as long as the pendulum swings in the one direction.

Kivaro wrote: »
    Come to think of it, why do they need 4 people to do those jobs, why can't the one person do it?

So back 2 years RTÉ decided to drop News bulletins from 2FM's night time schedule. They said it was due to the fact that most people tuning to 2FM go for music rather than news and that its core audience gets news from a variety of different sources.

No arguments from many....but hold on...

1. The core audience is possibly moving away from FM broadcasting and possibly broadcasting.
    2. 2FM at the time hosts a 1 hour long Magazine Sports programme* now 2 hours long.
    3. Jennifer Z has a 2 hour long chat show in the morning, along with a lot of chat at the weekend.
    4. and here's the kicker RTÉ Sports Bulletins continue until at least 10pm.

So why can't the Sports News Reader also present the news at night? and why is there a sports news bulletin available due to reasons as outlined>>>> most people tuning to 2FM go for music rather than news and that its core audience gets news from a variety of different sources.

*I was calling it a Sports News Chat Show and was then told it was a Sports Magazine show because it involves different interviews with guests :rolleyes:

And why does the sports news programme need 3 well know presenters?

Saving money? No!

• Advertisement

I was wondering why Louise Byrne, who was completely hopeless, managed to swing a gig on Prime Time.

It is more a case of RTÉ unable to replace the guy who went to Six-One with some mega-newspaper man they screen tested ... he'll be on the air in Jan I'd say. I believe it to be a man in the mean time according to Louise
    While Miriam (O'Callaghan) and David (McCullagh) took a break in August, myself and reporters Mark Coughlan and Richard Downes stood in as presenters. When David departed to the Six One (we still haven’t forgiven him) the stand-in presenting was extended.

she also says
    The usual summer break was, correctly, shelved, and we have been privileged and proud to provide coverage that we hope has been informative and challenging all through the pandemic.

There should not be an August break for News, the show should not have "star" presenters

• Registered Users Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

It is more a case of RTÉ unable to replace the guy who went to Six-One with some mega-newspaper man they screen tested ... he'll be on the air in Jan I'd say. I believe it to be a man in the mean time according to Louise

she also says

There should be an August break for News, the show should not have "star" presenters

Yeah, I think even RTE knew she had all the warmth and personality of a brick wall.
    So swiftly screen-tested someone else.

David was going to the news, so they needed a male presenter.
    (This might sound sexist, but it's based on history rather than gender stereotypes.)
    For some strange reason, RTE have no luck when it comes to pairing women presenters together on a show. Whether its The Afternoon Show, or that chatshow with Cynthia Ni Murchu and Clare McKeon (don't know the name, only remember seeing clips of it years after it was axed-the two of them argued throughout the clips).
    Just no luck at all-they (the women presenters) did not get along.

The only time there seemed to be any genuine success with pairing two women on a show was Keelin Shanley and Catriona Perry on the news. (But according to sources-Keelin could have presented a show with Satan himself, and you'd see no animosity. She was a genuine loss).

Ever search rte -rte.ie ?

The tabloids & online news outlets are pure RTÉ fan boys & girls.

Almost every day you'll read five new articles about the wonders of RTÉ & it's programming (mainly Tubs & TLLS, you'd wonder if RTÉ make any other programmes).

Tub's head must be getting ready explode.

But he's become a propagandist (not that I have too many issues with the covid-19 vaccine) but Tub's offer to get vaccinated or to have holanhan on the TLLS to get it live on TV to show it is safe, leaves me wondering what Tubs thinks is the job of the national broadcaster.

But the TLLS's audience only grew because of the death of a number of well known people & covid prior to these events TLLS was seeing unimpressive audience numbers, but then I can't understand why people watch or listen to Tubs... The only time I've had to see or hear about him is here on boards or when searching rte -rte.ie and that's too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Why is Ireland going to mandate a "device fee" instead of a TV licence fee ?
    I pay for an internet connection. And I pay companies to provide me with stuff to watch. Why should I pay anything else on top of this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Because RTE don't like anyone in the country not paying them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Scoondal wrote: »
    Why is Ireland going to mandate a "device fee" instead of a TV licence fee ?
    I pay for an internet connection. And I pay companies to provide me with stuff to watch. Why should I pay anything else on top of this ?

Hopefully they won't.

If they do the row will continue.

Currently if you don't have a TV you don't need a licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

2. 2FM at the time hosts a 1 hour long Magazine Sports programme* now 2 hours long.

2 hours of sport, during lockdown when there's non-sport to talk about, at the time of day that o would fancy listening to music. Total turnoff, can't understand why they do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Any idea of the pension costs associated with the station...........could be eye watering

Pensions
    RTÉ operates three pension schemes for its
    employees: a defined benefit (DB) scheme, a defined
    contribution (DC) scheme and a hybrid scheme
    (elements of DB and DC).
    RTÉ Superannuation Scheme
    The RTÉ Superannuation Scheme is a funded,
    contributory DB scheme, established under
    legislation and sponsored by RTÉ. No new
    employees have been admitted to the scheme
    since 1989. As at 31 December 2018, RTÉ had 143
    employees (2017: 181) who were members of the
    scheme.
    As at 31 December 2018, the assets of the scheme
    had a market value of €998 million (2017: €1,053
    million). At 31 December 2018, the liabilities of
    the scheme, as valued in accordance with IAS 19
    Employee benefits, were €951 million (2017: €1,005
    million). As required under IAS 19, the excess or
    shortfall of the assets compared to the liabilities of
    the scheme is reported as an asset or liability on
    RTɒs statement of financial position. Therefore,
    as at 31 December 2018, there is a pension asset of
    €47 million reported in respect of the scheme (2017:
    €48 million). An increase in the discount rate used
    to value the liabilities helped mitigate the impact of
    investment returns being below those assumed.
    In addition, the actuaries to the scheme have
    considered the scheme’s position with liabilities
    measured under the minimum funding standard
    (MFS). As at 31 December 2018, the actuaries
    estimated that there was an MFS surplus of
    €134 million (2017: €159 million). In addition, the
    scheme has also met the funding standard reserve
    requirement at 1 January 2019. These are both very
    positive results and there is no requirement for a
    funding proposal in 2019.
    Any idea of the pension costs associated with the station...........could be eye watering

More detail on here https://www.rte.ie/annualreport/pdfs/RTE_annual_report_2018.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Advertisement