Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭jmcc

At the moment perhaps but Dee Forbes isn't at all happy with that(the point of discussion in this thread) and Politicians are suggesting that the introduction of a broadcasting charge is imminent.
    Are you going to be storming the Offices of the Taoiseach with the rest of us here on the forum or just insincerely commiserating.
    Surely they'll be astounded at Boggles' greatness and expertise in how to fall off roofs while installing TV dishes (been doing it for years) and they will hire him on the spot to advise RTE? :)

The only solution to an imposed TV/device tax would be a campaign of the Water Tax type. A device tax would be a vote loser for politicians and they would rightly get it in the neck from the electorate. It has been proposed by politicans from subsequently obliterated parties. (Pat Rabbitte and the nearly deceased Stickies Nua/Labour party. The Stickies had subverted RTE a long time ago.).

Regards...jmcc

Elmo wrote: »
    Well F ye, Tonight I am going to cry myself to sleep watching a coked up TV host prancing a round in a fox's costume, Each to their own I say! That's my 160 euro

Happy Christmas.
    Likewise. Surely there's something worth watching on Netflix? :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 34,001 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Only recurring cost to you. this page says it costs 1.5m per year for saorsat

So what? The transmission network is still cheaper to run now than it was for analogue even though there are more channels.

How many of the "top" RTE presenters does 1.5m get you? Three, or four?

Life ain't always empty.

So what? The transmission network is still cheaper to run now than it was for analogue even though there are more channels.

How many of the "top" RTE presenters does 1.5m get you? Three, or four?

1.5 million for a transmission medium that is not being used is fat that needs to be trimmed before Dee Forbes can make a case for the Public to endure a blanket broadcasting charge\tax.

1.5 million for a transmission medium that is not being used is fat that needs to be trimmed before Dee Forbes can make a case for the Public to endure a blanket broadcasting charge\tax.
    Has RTE ever published any figures on the number of Saorsat viewers? Has it even bothered to measure the audience numbers?

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

jmcc wrote: »
    Has RTE ever published any figures on the number of Saorsat viewers? Has it even bothered to measure the audience numbers?

Regards...jmcc
    They have no way to know how few are using it especially as the handful who are using it are in the backs and beyonds a long way from Montrose.
    It would be cheaper to pay for a basic Sky subscription for those people for a few years than to continue the saorsat service but if they'd turn it off you'd hear people complaining about inclusion and the regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bossdrum

They have no way to know how few are using it especially as the handful who are using it are in the backs and beyonds a long way from Montrose.
    It would be cheaper to pay for a basic Sky subscription for those people for a few years than to continue the saorsat service but if they'd turn it off you'd hear people complaining about inclusion and the regions.

They could run ads or a banner on the bottom on the screen to ask people to contact them if they are receiving the channel by saorsat (maybe just on the feed that is broadcast on saorsat?).
    If nobody responds then just shut it down as no one is going to notice or pay the sky subs for the miniscule amount that do. Then shut it down.

It does seem to be constant problem with RTE. It spends money on "solutions" and then never bothers to see if they work.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 39,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

At the moment perhaps but Dee Forbes isn't at all happy with that(the point of discussion in this thread) and Politicians are suggesting that the introduction of a broadcasting charge is imminent.
    Are you going to be storming the Offices of the Taoiseach with the rest of us here on the forum or just insincerely commiserating.

I'd imagine you'd be very much on your own with that endeavor lad, but good luck. Record it and post it up.

:)

Surely they'll be astounded at Boggles' greatness and expertise in how to fall off roofs while installing TV dishes (been doing it for years) and they will hire him on the spot to advise RTE? :)

Nah, I'm sure there would prefer the Wikipedia warrior.

Your idea to just provide back spots that can't get saorview with HD IPTV is simply genius.

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    Nah, I'm sure there would prefer the Wikipedia warrior.
    Considering that it took me less than ten seconds to figure out how to get free Sky movies, they might be better off. After all, your only expertise is in falling off roofs while trying to install dishes.
    Your idea to just provide back spots that can't get saorview with HD IPTV is simply genius.
    There have been some remarkable advances with RF technology in recent years (5G etc). Though you probably insist on using two tin cans and a piece of string to talk to people and think it the height of modern technology.

Regards...jmcc

Considering that it took me less than ten seconds to figure out how to get free Sky movies, they might be better off. After all, your only expertise is in falling off roofs while trying to install dishes.

There have been some remarkable advances with RF technology in recent years (5G etc). Though you probably insist on using two tin cans and a piece of string to talk to people and think it the height of modern technology.

Regards...jmcc

Yep. I'm sure if they can't access saorview they will have 5G.

:pac:

Yep. I'm sure if they can't access saorview they will have 5G.

:pac:
    Saorview transmitters cover wider areas than 5G cells. It may be easier to cover blackspots with 5G than simply relying upon distant and obstructed Saorview transmitters. And if they have mobile phone coverage in those blackspots, it may be an upgrade. The advantage of 5G and other cellular RF technology is that they are two-way and thus allows for more services than the simple one-way Saorview.

Regards...jmcc

Saorview transmitters cover wider areas than 5G cells. It may be easier to cover blackspots with 5G than simply relying upon distant and obstructed Saorview transmitters. And if they have mobile phone coverage in those blackspots, it may be an upgrade. The advantage of 5G and other cellular RF technology is that they are two-way and thus allows for more services than the simple one-way Saorview.

Regards...jmcc

Seriously?

RTE are not going install 5G for some one off house up a mountain nor is any of the ISPs. Nor should they be expected to.

The cheapest best most available credible option at the time and still is what was put in place.

RTE didn't buy the satellite, when things improve which I'm guessing will be a long time, they are under no obligation to sign another contract or deliver the service.

Seriously?

RTE are not going install 5G for some one off house up a mountain nor is any of the ISPs. Nor should they be expected to.
    RF blackspots are more likely to be in valleys.
    The cheapest best most available credible option at the time and still is what was put in place.
    It is 1990s technology. Since then, cellular RF technology has become more usable and cheaper. Internet bandwidth and technology has also advanced. Even Saorview's transmitters didn't always follow the older analogue RF transmitters pattern.
    RTE didn't buy the satellite, when things improve which I'm guessing will be a long time, they are under no obligation to sign another contract or deliver the service.
    RTE buying a satellite would have made less sense than some of your posts. Satellites, like all technology, have a finite operational lifetime. Saorview may also be replaced as the Internet infrastructure improves. The topology of Ireland is complex. The same problems that affected MMDS also affected DTT. It is not possible to cover it completely with a single technology. Saorsat is the modern Betamax in the Betamax vs VHS battle between satellite Internet and 5G/cellular Internet.

Regards...jmcc

RF blackspots are more likely to be in valleys.

It is 1990s technology. Since then, cellular RF technology has become more usable and cheaper. Internet bandwidth and technology has also advanced. Even Saorview's transmitters didn't always follow the older analogue RF transmitters pattern.

RTE buying a satellite would have made less sense than some of your posts. Satellites, like all technology, have a finite operational lifetime. Saorview may also be replaced as the Internet infrastructure improves. The topology of Ireland is complex. The same problems that affected MMDS also affected DTT. It is not possible to cover it completely with a single technology. Saorsat is the modern Betamax in the Betamax vs VHS battle between satellite Internet and 5G/cellular Internet.

Regards...jmcc

Jesus Titty Christ.

No one is going to install 5G in any black spot so some remote village or mountain dwelling can get RTE 1.

It's not going happen. Why you keep insisting it's a viable more cost effective option to the alternative that is in place is quite simply nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,269 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

This is all getting very tiresome

Saorsat can be used to provide a backup feed to Saorview transmitters.

Yes, Sky can do that, but imho delivery of the main PSB TV/radio channels is strategic infrastructure and should be under our control not the Dirty Digger's.

Life ain't always empty.

Saorview transmitters cover wider areas than 5G cells. It may be easier to cover blackspots with 5G than simply relying upon distant and obstructed Saorview transmitters.'

Yes, the phone networks can put 5G anywhere.

Will they? No. Not where the cost of providing it exceeds the revenue from the served population.

It's really not hard to figure out.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,657 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

They have had months to prep for this toy show and they still cannot manage to put the required systems in place for what we all knew was going to be exceptionally higher viewers via the player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭buried

F**king amazing black magic how nearly two million people can convince themselves they are 'relaxing in their PJ's' having a 'great time' watching some f**king looodraman bouncing about the place dressed as a rabbits arse while he grabs toys from children and throws them over his shoulder.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

buried wrote: »
    F**king amazing black magic how nearly two million people can convince themselves they are 'relaxing in their PJ's' having a 'great time' watching some f**king looodraman bouncing about the place dressed as a rabbits arse while he grabs toys from children and throws them over his shoulder.

As much as I despise Rte and Dee's ****ing drum, Im very relaxed watching this because my kids are enjoying it.

As much as I despise Rte and Dee's ****ing drum, Im very relaxed watching this because my kids are enjoying it.

Fair play man. Enjoy enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Fair play man. Enjoy enjoy.

It is ****e though.

It is ****e though.

As long as your young ones are enjoying themselves that's all that matters. Probably and hopefully the only year we can give a pass to the noise as long as the young ones can feel a bit of Christmas early.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I've not watched the Toy Show in a solid ten years.

I'm not breaking that streak now. IF folks enjoy it, good for them....

I'll happily watch something else.

I've not watched the Toy Show in a solid ten years.

I'm not breaking that streak now. IF folks enjoy it, good for them....

I'll happily watch something else.

I won't begrudge anybody into what they might enjoy, but at the same time lets not f**king fool ourselves either. The Toy show is nothing but a marketing gimmick, a huge advertisement for international toy companies such as the likes of Disney.corp to flaunt their wares for the splurge over the next month. If any adult actually thinks the likes of Tubridy and his crew up in RTE are doing this shtick to 'make us all feel good' and nothing else, time to wise the f**k up.

Saorsat can be used to provide a backup feed to Saorview transmitters.

Yes, Sky can do that, but imho delivery of the main PSB TV/radio channels is strategic infrastructure and should be under our control not the Dirty Digger's.
    I am all for critical national infrastructure remaining in state hands.

Regards...jmcc

Yes, the phone networks can put 5G anywhere.

Will they? No. Not where the cost of providing it exceeds the revenue from the served population.
    It should be subsidised with an element of state control resulting. If there was proper joined-up thinking from the past few governments, there would have been a better Internet infrastructure that could have handled these developments and served the population of Ireland. Things went pear-shaped with the privatisation of Telecom Eireann by the incompetent FF/PD government.

The advantage of a 5G approach is that the 5G system is potentially revenue generating whereas the Saorsat approach is not. The costs of installation on the 5G system have a way of being recovered (over a long period) and there is an upgrade path. The Saorsat approach is, by comparison, a technological dead end.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

Why you keep insisting it's a viable more cost effective option to the alternative that is in place is quite simply nuts.
    A 5G approach can make money. The Saorsat is primarily a one-way system while 5G is a two-way system that has many more options. In addition to TV delivery, it is possible to charge for other services with a 5G connection. It is that simple.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement