Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Given the old adage about arguing - I think it's time to finish this discussion.

You've suggested that we were all terrified in March - we weren't.

You suggested that we follow WHO advice - we didn't.

You think Tony's doing a great job - come back to us in a couple of years when you're paying the bill for this nonsense.

I took that back in a further post to say there was a great level of concern so why not quote that .

No where did I saw Tony Holohan was doing a great job

Going by your logic, someone can never criticize a film or a footballer or a song etc because you can just play the ' I'd like to see you do better' argument

If you read back on my posts, I have said they did not get everything right

It seems to be you either have to be 100% with them or 100% against them

I just think there is a middle ground

For FF and FG, I definitely think they are trying to go for the “we saved thousands of lives” and put people before the economy. And also just following other countries to an extent.

NPHET I believe have more sinister agendas. They’d love to get pubs closed permanently.

I think it’s a bit naive to suggest neither have agendas outside the pandemic.

It was a genuine question. I have my doubts that the government are willing to see the country on its knees so they can save thousands of lives.

Why would NPHET want pubs closed permanently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Fodla

SAMTALK wrote: »
    It was a genuine question. I have my doubts that the government are willing to see the country on its knees so they can save thousands of lives.

Because Anthony hates alcohol and destroying society and the economy is necessary in order to be able to 'build back better'.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Smoothrider

There is no 'outside the pandemic' at present.

The HSE are being shielded from the pandemic by Nphet, who in fact are the HSE. It is one small sector of society looking after itself and to hell with everyone else. Nphet do not give a tupenny curse about you granny and never did. They've been bolting the stable door long after horses have flown. Remember, they released all of those vulnerable patients in acute care hospital beds back into nursing homes in March / April. They refused to apply visiting restrictions to nursing homes in March and said masks were counter productive. This is not ten years ago, this March 2020. They continued to hype the 'case' numbes during the summer even though it was entirely inactive at that time because it's seasonal. And, they're now lining everyone up for lockdown 2021, probably right up to the end of April. How anyone in their right mind can have any faith in Nphet & their mickey mouse PCR 'case' numbers is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭Allinall

Fodla wrote: »
    Control and deliberately destroying the economy and society so that they can be "built back better" as part of the upcoming Great Reset. Not a conspiracy theory. It can be read about on the World Economic Forum website. Many leaders around the word are saying "build back better". That can't be a coincidence.

Thanks for the LOLs.

It’s good to see some humour injected from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,766 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

NPHET are at it again. Trying to pressure the Government before the discussions are had at Cabinet
    The Government has signalled that the Level Five restrictions will be eased next week, allowing retail to open. It is also expected that pubs serving food and restaurants will be allowed open later in the month, perhaps the following week, and that travel restrictions will be lifted for perhaps two weeks around Christmas, allowing people to travel to spend the period with their extended families.

However, two sources familiar with the issue now say that the Nphet advice is likely to signal opposition to some aspects of the planned reopening.

This will complicate matters for the Government as it prepares to announce the details of the reopening on Friday.

How weak is Micheal Martin if he continues to allow himself and his Government to be undermined like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Fodla

Allinall wrote: »
    Thanks for the LOLs.

It’s good to see some humour injected from time to time.

Cause the alternative that they destroyed the economy and society over the terrifying 1 and 2 case pandemic we had during the summer makes a lot more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Going by your logic, someone can never criticize a film or a footballer or a song etc because you can just play the ' I'd like to see you do better' argument

Well I’d like to think if I was on the kind of money us taxpayers are paying these people- I’d be making much more informed and nuanced decisions.

SAMTALK wrote: »

Well sadly their antecedence would say otherwise in both instances. The country is on its knees and pubs have been closed since March ala Nphet “advice”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Varadkar playing silly buggers again

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1331947615760617472

People will ignore them completely if they're not allowed travel home for Christmas

KrustyUCC wrote: »

People will ignore them completely if they're not allowed travel home for Christmas

People will be let travel alright. They seem to be trying to push it out to the weekend before Christmas itself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Lord Holohan of NPHET is opposed to the planned reopening of the economy. He wants to strangle our society until its completely lifeless and gasping for oxygen.

Senior Government sources said “we are not surprised” - Sources have confirmed that public health officials are “deeply concerned” about several elements proposed in the re-opening plan, particularly allowing restaurants and gastro pubs reopen.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    People will be let travel alright. They seem to be trying to push it out to the weekend before Christmas itself though.

Yeah that's fine but make the decision now

He's still threatening people with not being able to travel

Michael Martin and Leo Varadkar are a complete disgrace, the lack of leadership is frightening. Holohan has been aloud to push them around for months without questioning, debating the restrictions.

- Who
    - is
    - running
    - this
    - country
    - ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,511 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Ah, c’mon.

Those very models are still being used to justify the EUs longest and strictest policy.

You seem to miss the point a lot.

It’s not cheap point scoring, it’s calling out bull****

Those models are not still being used. Those massive potential death numbers are not being used. The justification now is to not overrun the health service. You know this. You're choosing to miss the point.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

KrustyUCC wrote: »

That's only ask though? There's currently nothing to stop you moving around.
    I must have around 1500km up in the last week and nobody has said boo to me, the guards aren't even looking at your tax and insurance disks any more.

NPHET have them by the balls

Nothing will change there

Danny Healy-Rae among publicans begging the government to open pubs for Christmas - Link

Danny Healy-Rae explained: ‘Closing pubs is wrong and totally unnecessary. There is alcohol readily available.

‘There are house parties and alcohol is being consumed in totally unregulated areas.

‘All pubs, not just the ones with food, need to be opened for Christmas. That was absolutely ridiculous. How did the virus know if you were having a meal with your pint? It was stupid.

‘I think all pubs should be open for Christmas but spread out the crowds. I accept there would have to be some social distancing. Maybe reduce the hours a bit. I think people would respect that.

‘Why couldn’t we have something like that? If it has to be eight or nine o’clock, fellas in rural places could have a couple of pints.

That's only ask though? There's currently nothing to stop you moving around.
    I must have around 1500km up in the last week and nobody has said boo to me, the guards aren't even looking at your tax and insurance disks any more.

True but a lot of people would prefer to be officially allowed to travel as opposed to doing so anyway

• Advertisement

Penfailed missing the point? ah no

Ah, the G'n'L/Fintan tag team in full effect. Fair play lads. Pat yourselves on the back.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/restaurants-reopening-in-doubt-after-nphet-raise-serious-concerns-39795089.html

NPHET trying one last push to block lighter restrictions. I say this from a province that only had 10 cases yesterday. Will the Government cave? This will be the defining moment of their term if they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Penfailed wrote: »
    Those models are not still being used. Those massive potential death numbers are not being used. The justification now is to not overrun the health service. You know this. You're choosing to miss the point.

Where was the risk to the health service during June, July, August, September and most of October when hospitals were empty but Irish citizens lived under Europe’s strictest policy?

Danny Healy-Rae: ‘God almighty, having people outside at this time of the year in the cold and the damp, you’re only asking for trouble. They’ll die with pneumonia.

You know the world has changed when the Healy-Rae's are speaking the most sense, and everybody else has become hysterical and borderline insane.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/restaurants-reopening-in-doubt-after-nphet-raise-serious-concerns-39795089.html

NPHET trying one last push to block lighter restrictions. I saw this from a province that only had 10 cases yesterday. Will the Government cave? This will be the defining moment of their term if they do.

Of course they will cave

Tony & NPHET are in charge

RobitTV wrote: »
    Danny Healy-Rae among publicans begging the government to open pubs for Christmas - Link

Danny Healy-Rae explained: ‘Closing pubs is wrong and totally unnecessary. There is alcohol readily available.

‘There are house parties and alcohol is being consumed in totally unregulated areas.

‘All pubs, not just the ones with food, need to be opened for Christmas. That was absolutely ridiculous. How did the virus know if you were having a meal with your pint? It was stupid.

‘I think all pubs should be open for Christmas but spread out the crowds. I accept there would have to be some social distancing. Maybe reduce the hours a bit. I think people would respect that.

‘Why couldn’t we have something like that? If it has to be eight or nine o’clock, fellas in rural places could have a couple of pints.

I can't believe I'm in total agreement with Danny Healy-Rae :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Fodla wrote: »
    But the problem with these death numbers is the classifying of deaths that are clearly not COVID deaths as COVID deaths. A man fell from a ladder in Croatia recently and COVID was put down as the cause of death. It's impossible to know how many people have died from COVID-19. And that's without getting it 'died of' vs 'died with'.

so you are saying i know of 1 case out of 1.5 milion to be wrong so this is all wrong...

the numbers are certainly not 100% correct, in the uk i think they tried to put 8000 covid death under the carpet if i remember correctly to look a bit better as a country i think you and i would not be too suprised if this happend in china and russia too . those are a guesstimates but they are not made up completely and problably about the same accuracy as the unemplyoment statistcs are not really correct but not completely wrong either . and while iam sure cases like yours exist ( can you show me the evidence of this case you mention ie how was it fact checked was it written in the daily mirror etc or did his dr confirm this guy was completey healthy before he feel from a ladder ) this is unlikely happening too often and surely there will be cases where a person dies of covid but does not appear in those statistics as most likely some people with the virus do not go to the hospital.

out of interest how would you handle this situation if you were in charge. how would you report numbers and how would you make sure it was as correctly done as possible ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Well I’d like to think if I was on the kind of money us taxpayers are paying these people- I’d be making much more informed and nuanced decisions.

I don't understand this 'leave them alone they're doing their best ' narrative that gets pulled out for NPHET. They're not working for free they're getting very well compensated for their work.

I don't understand this 'leave them alone they're doing their best ' narrative that gets pulled out for NPHET. They're not working for free they're getting very well compensated for their work.

It’s an Irish deference to authority hangover thing.

• Advertisement

Some questioned from the very beginning.

They were immediately silenced, like the doctor Harris appointed to the medical council and forced to resign.

Yeah, he resigned in the second half of April...so not from the very beginning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement