Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 minggatu

"How is Europe faring in the pandemic? In Dublin, a taxi driver is more worried about his country than ever. He doesn't even know how he can afford presents for his son. "

German newspaper https://www.zeit.de/politik/2020-11/corona-crisis-europe-ireland-dublin-poverty-economy-taxi-driver

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Fodla wrote: »
    You'd wonder how can could be breached? Would be like breaching advice. More nonsense. And aren't there exemptions re the mask thing?

Yes plenty of get outs on the masks, the guards been exempt will cause a case against you to collapse. Nobody should be exempt, if I'm granny killing so are the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Allinall

Which one of those 'restrictions' you listed has a fifth of our population out of work and flushed €24 billion down the drain? Ridiculous comparison.

Most of the €24 billion has gone to support the people out of work. Are you saying they are flushing it down the drain?

I must get on to the powers that be. We could save a fortune by cutting out this waste.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

So it is OK to thump somebody or run them over, or in this case give them a disease, because you need the money?

I don't need the money the economy needs the money, the health services need the money. What do you think pays for everything other than taxes? That's one of the most economically illiterate things I've ever read.

Allinall wrote: »
    Most of the €24 billion has gone to support the people out of work. Are you saying they are flushing it down the drain?

I must get on to the powers that be. We could save a fortune by cutting out this waste.

The government put these people out of work in the first place so it's their responsibility to compensate them. Also €350 a week won't exactly cover a mortgage payment along with other household costs so let's not act as if the government broke their hearts. Also classy referring to working class people as 'waste'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

So it is OK to thump somebody or run them over, or in this case give them a disease, because you need the money?

If you thump somebody its assault, its very definite. Similar if you run someone over, again very definite.

Now tell me if i go further than 5 k from my home how definite is it i will get covid?

If i go for lunch with my family, again how definte?

etc etc.

If its defintely safe to go to woodies to buy a hammer why is it not defintely safe to go in and buy a set of Christmas lights.

If its definitely safe for a teacher to stand in a room full of 30 unmasked children for 6 hours a day why is it not safe for said same teacher to buy a pair of jeans?

You do get the difference? As you have typed to have this idea that your going to give someone a disease unless you do everything to the letter is troubling really!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,187 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The government put these people out of work in the first place so it's their responsibility to compensate them. Also €350 a week won't exactly cover a mortgage payment along with other household costs so let's not act as if the government broke their hearts. Also classy referring to working class people as 'waste'

It would cover my mortgage payment.

Also, his post is criticing your comment that (implies,arguably) that the 24B was flushed down the drain by being given to the 'working class' as you say.

So your retort about waste, is realy just a criticism of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

Going about one's life isn't a form of violence.

Its wrong to take away the right to work. Its wrong to ban trade and destroy livelihoods. Its wrong to give your support to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭amandstu

What is the story with inter county travel in the Republic versus travel from a county here into one in the North?

Is a distinction made?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

You are absolutely insane. Where do you get this assumption that most people have covid to give to others?

This is 2020 at its finest. People have 0 ability to calculate %s or probabilities. Big Tony says covid spreads in household - public assumes its 100% certain and starts nodding along.

• Advertisement

It would cover my mortgage payment.

Also, his post is criticing your comment that (implies,arguably) that the 24B was flushed down the drain by being given to the 'working class' as you say.

So your retort about waste, is realy just a criticism of yourself.

If the government didn't take the sledgehammer approach and lock down everything at the drop of a hat those businesses could still be open. Implying that I'm somehow calling for PUP payments to stop by criticising government spending is just twisting words.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

the kelt wrote: »
    If you thump somebody its assault, its very definite. Similar if you run someone over, again very definite.

But people generally do not just run someone over, they consider their business to be so important that they drive too fast and run someone over as a consequence. Likewise people consider their own selfish interests so important that they do not care if they give someone Covid.

Now tell me if i go further than 5 k from my home how definite is it i will get covid?

If i go for lunch with my family, again how definte?

etc etc.

If its defintely safe to go to woodies to buy a hammer why is it not defintely safe to go in and buy a set of Christmas lights.
    as
    If its definitely safe for a teacher to stand in a room full of 30 unmasked children for 6 hours a day why is it not safe for said same teacher to buy a pair of jeans?

You do get the difference? As you have typed to have this idea that your going to give someone a disease unless you do everything to the letter is troubling really!

It isn't rocket science, if people break the rules then Covid increases, whatever point you want to make any about any particular situation.
    You can make a similar point in relation to road safety, perhaps 51 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood is not so different from 50, but the point still holds that drunk driving regulations do save lives.

But people generally do not just run someone over, they consider their business to be so important that they drive too fast and run someone over as a consequence. Likewise people consider their own selfish interests so important that they do not care if they give someone Covid.

It isn't rocket science, if people break the rules then Covid increases, whatever point you want to make any about any particular situation.

What 'rules' were broken on the hospital wards and care homes to cause outbreaks there? Did covid not get the memo?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

What 'rules' were broken on the hospital wards and care homes to cause outbreaks there? Did covid not get the memo?

It is not too difficult to imagine all these places are served/visited by people and some proportion of them were ignorant enough to let the virus in.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Bullcrap, Covid doesn't give two hoots about a €9 meal.

Thats me wrote: »
    It is not too difficult to imagine all these places are served/visited by people and some proportion of them were ignorant enough to let the virus in.

Define 'let the virus in' did someone leave a door or window open?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Bullcrap, Covid doesn't give two hoots about a €9 meal.

Yet internationally there is evidence that the conduct of people in restaurants is less likely to spread Covid than in pubs.

And it stands to reason, the sloshed often act the bollix.

Yet internationally there is evidence that the conduct of people in restaurants is less likely to spread Covid than in pubs.

It's amazing how pubs have been turned into this eternal menace despite being open 2 weeks in the past 10 months nearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

You can make a similar point in relation to road safety, perhaps 51 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood is not so different from 50, but the point still holds that drunk driving regulations do save lives.

You might consider that there isn’t a Covid Handbook of Rules or any definitive guide that has been distributed to every country in the World and all are following same book to the letter. There’s been a large variation in restrictions applied all around the World and their successes or lack thereof have been thrashed out for ten months or more.

It’s perfectly rational to question if our government have got it right or wrong or to what degree (very wrong imo). Case positives are not a measure of successfully living with Covid.

• Advertisement

Someone contaminated is the open door for virus. Something contaminated is the open window for virus.

I heard about successful nursing home which had no occurrence during 1st wave. To reach this they closed whole home with staff inside. Supplies from outside were quarantined. Same i do in my home BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭bloopy

Didn't you know?
    Catching the virus is akin to a sin now and means you've done something bad or wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

I’d be very interested to see any evidence from any country that imposed the exact same restrictions on pubs as on restaurants that showed more transmission in those pubs.

bloopy wrote: »
    Didn't you know?
    Catching the virus is akin to a sin now and means you've done something bad or wrong.

Actually the ancient Jews used to believe the diseased and ill were condemned by god and sickness was his punishment. Glad to see we've regressed back to that line of thinking

Someone contaminated is the open door for virus. Something contaminated is the open window for virus.

I heard about successful nursing home which had no occurrence during 1st wave. To reach this they closed whole home with staff inside. Supplies from outside were quarantined. Same i do in my home BTW.

So you want nursing home staff detained within the care homes? Jesus Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

More stalling...

The Garda Siochána will roll out the introduction of these enforcement measures as the relevant systems will be adjusted over the coming week to accommodate the additional offences.

These will fall over in court if challenged. They've no right to restrict healthy people.

Also, although the tagline mentions €100 fine for travelling, it's not mentioned in the article itself. Simple oversight or more smoke and mirrors to threaten people into compliance where no law exists?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

More stalling...

The Garda Siochána will roll out the introduction of these enforcement measures as the relevant systems will be adjusted over the coming week to accommodate the additional offences.

These will fall over in court if challenged. They've no right to restrict healthy people.

If the Garda Commissioner and the Minister of Justice had any backbone they would do like the NY Sheriffs and would come out and say they were not enforcing anymore of this nonsense.

So you want nursing home staff detained within the care homes? Jesus Christ.

Why you think i want it? Nothing in my life depends on nursing home, so it makes no difference to me. But natives of the elderly people who got covid in nursing home should definately send their damnation to these people who allowed virus to get in.

Why you think i want it? Nothing in my life depends on nursing home, so it makes no difference to me. But natives of the elderly people who got covid in nursing home should definately send their damnation to these people who allowed virus to get in.

How dare those nursing home staff leave work and live their own lives. What do you suggest, keep them in chains when theyre not working? I find the whole fire and brimstone attitude people are developing very odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    If the Garda Commissioner and the Minister of Justice had any backbone they would do like the NY Sheriffs and would come out and say they were not enforcing anymore of this nonsense.

Commissioner maybe. He's already said previously that AGS didn't want or need more powers on this issue.

McEntee though is one of FG's "rising stars" - although like Harris, Murphy and Varadkar himself, if this is the best they've to offer then it's no wonder they only ever manage to make FF electable again, as they did last time out!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement