Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

46 Long wrote: »
    EnHYe41VkAwxwsr?format=jpg&name=900x900

Can't help but feel a bit skeptical about this one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Da fuk ?

Women - know your place.

So if you go for a pee in a bar (when we can do that again!) and there’s a man in there tackle out - you have to be sensitive and assume “she” is in the right place.

In my mother’s day she swore and threatened the penis waver with her knitting needle but now we have to forego safety for “niceness”.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

silverharp wrote: »

Not really. I'm only trying to change the kid's nappy, Sharon, I really have no inclination to stick my head under a cubicle door and gawk at your fanny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Rothko wrote: »
    Can't help but feel a bit skeptical about this one.

Its here, under 'campaigns'

http://www.lgbtplusbristol.org.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Absolute "tool".. wonder is that still allowed?

Tool is absolutely allowed. One of my favourite bands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Its here, under 'campaigns'

http://www.lgbtplusbristol.org.uk/

Ugh

https://www.showingupforracialjustice.org/white-supremacy-culture-characteristics.html

Remember guys, perfectionism, sense of urgency, and the "right to comfort" are all parts of white supremacy.

https://www.showingupforracialjustice.org/white-supremacy-culture-characteristics.html

Remember guys, perfectionism, sense of urgency, and the "right to comfort" are all parts of white supremacy.

Ah balls - my Guinness slippers and anal attention to detail make me a Nazi. Bugger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭Cordell

Gervais08 wrote: »
    Ah balls - my Guinness slippers and anal attention to detail make me a Nazi. Bugger.

Wha?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

He has pronouns in his bio, he's a mentally ill moron

Using mental illness as a slur is quite low, even by AH standards.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 13 BIG GUNZ

.anon. wrote: »
    Using mental illness as a slur is quite low, even by AH standards.

U wat? This is probably the most sanitised place on the web.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Absolute nonsense. The only good Christmas song is being censored by the scumbags in the BBC pandering to the professionally offended snowflakes as usual just when you thought 2020 couldn't get any worse it just does everything these days offends someone.

It would be much easier if they just gave us a list of things that are not offensive to anyone I'd imagine that list would be miniscule.
    https://news.sky.com/story/fairytale-of-new-york-to-be-edited-for-radio-1-broadcast-to-avoid-offending-younger-listeners-12136335

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭kippy

GT89 wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense. The only good Christmas song is being censored by the scumbags in the BBC pandering to the professionally offended snowflakes as usual just when you thought 2020 couldn't get any worse it just does everything these days offends someone.

It would be much easier if they just gave us a list of things that are not offensive to anyone I'd imagine that list would be miniscule.
    https://news.sky.com/story/fairytale-of-new-york-to-be-edited-for-radio-1-broadcast-to-avoid-offending-younger-listeners-12136335

Scumbags every where can sleep sounder in their beds.....

Let them censor themselves into obscurity so. Another example of the mainstream media digging it's own grave.

According to that article, they'll simply be playing a different edit (presumably the version that the Pogues and Kirsty McColl performed on Top of the Pops in the early '90s), like they do with all other songs that contain swearwords. Hardly a big deal.

.anon. wrote: »
    According to that article, they'll simply be playing a different edit (presumably the version that the Pogues and Kirsty McColl performed on Top of the Pops in the early '90s), like they do with all other songs that contain swearwords. Hardly a big deal.

Enjoy your castrated version. Us normal people will play the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,159 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ah they'll play the Ronan Keating version instead. Now, that would be a crime.

Also lol at the BBC for thinking young people actually listen to the radio.

Water John wrote: »
    Ah they'll play the Ronan Keating version instead. Now, that would be a crime.

No, they'll be playing the Pogues and Kirsty McColl's other version.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,731 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

GT89 wrote: »
    [/url]

It might even be minuscule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,159 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Christmas FM will be turned on here, usually starts around 28th Nov and they'll play the original on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Not sure this is true. Christmas is coming when a '[insert station] is banning Fairytale of New York.'

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If anything they are uncensoring it on most channels, except for Radio 1 where they will carry on playing the same version they have been playing for the last 20 odd years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,856 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Played to death in this country. The Beeb can do whatever it likes.

Cordell wrote: »
    Wha?

Comfort and perfection make one a white supremacist according to some racists of colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Money for nothing for the Xmas nó. 1

See the little ******, with the earing and the makeup
    Yeah buddy, that's his own hair
    That little ****** got his own jet airplane
    That little ******, he's a millionaire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

They haven't censored it. It's just Radio 1 (which has a younger audience for whom the word might be a no-no).

Radio 2 will still play the original version. I think they (Kirsty) recorded a second version in 1992 that took out any word that might cause offence .

The Pogues are totally okay with this, b.t.w.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I heard this song get a fair bit of airplay a year ago and the word 'wanker' was edited out and no one here batted an eyelid, and yet we get this same feckin' thread year after year about Fairytale Of New York.

BIG GUNZ wrote: »
    Enjoy your castrated version. Us normal people will play the original.

Back to back with Cerys and Sir Tom’s version of Baby, It’s Cold Outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

On Fairytale of New York.

For younger readers or anyone not familiar with the Pogues, their guitar player, the late great Philip Chevron, was openly gay since 70s Dublin.

In 2007 the first "banning" of FTNY was mooted by the BBC. At the time Phil was a regular contributor to the official fan club forum. In conversation with fans here are a few quotes from him.
    gobsmacked wrote:
    BBC censors The Pogues' Christmas classic

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... got118.xml

Philip:

Holy cow.
    Pholip:
    Kirsty's mum hit the nail squarely on the head during that programme. "Oh, for heaven's sake, these are characters!" Quite so, it's reported dialogue, so even if you are liable to be "offended" by the word "f****t", you don't have a case.

A gay man texted in objecting to the censorship of the song "in his name". It wasn't me, but it might have been.
    (an update from the Daily Telegraph, London)

The BBC's decision to remove the word "f****t" from the classic Christmas song Fairytale of New York has roused the ire of Telegraph readers.

Music lovers of all political stripes and sexual orientations have posted messages on Telegraph.co.uk attacking the corporation's censorship of the re-released song by The Pogues featuring Kirsty MacColl.

One reader, Andrew, who identifies himself as a gay man, said he found the decision "pathetic".

"Shouldn't they be calling it F****tale of New York?" he asked.

Indeed, there is widespread mystification at Radio 1's decision to remove the word "f****t" to avoid offending homosexuals, but to allow other insults in the notoriously invective-filled lyrics.

Bruce said he also wanted "arse" bleeped out: "I don't want the BBC thrusting bottoms in my face on Christmas morning."

Jimbo took a different line: "I'm a scumbag and I must say I'm very offended by the use of the word in that Christmas song. Please beep it out Mr Beep Beep C. Scumbags of the world unite!"

There was general consensus that this is another example of political correctness gone mad, that disease seen to be endemic in the national broadcaster.

But David Coulter pointed out that under the BBC's logic "mad" was in itself an offensive term. He proposes "Different State of Mental Stability" as an alternative, adding: "Its Madness Gone PC".

advertisementOther readers looked at the practicalities of song writing, pointing out that f***ot had to remain as it is the only possible rhyme for the maggot in the preceding line.

PJW, another gay reader, wrote that he does not find the song offensive as it was written at a time when f****t was in common use and considered acceptable.

"To begin altering songs made long ago would mean bleeping out a lot of the music back catalogue," he wrote.

"However, if the song was made today and directed at homosexuals solely then I do think that would be a whole different story."

Indeed, the only support for the BBC in the dozens of comments received by the Telegraph came from the rather curmudgeonly-sounding Angerland, who urged the corporation to go further.

"Pogues, Slade, Wizzard, John Lennon, Band Aid, Wham Aaaaargh! Ban the whole bloody lot of 'em, says I. It is this tedious musical backdrop to the festive season that helps make it so unendurable."
    firehazard wrote:
    Two possibilities as far as I can see:

1. This is a cunning plan to finally get FONY to its deserved position as Christmas No. 1.

2. The people at BBC R1 are a load of arses.

Not sure which I think is more likely.

Phil said:

Well yes, the first one was my initial instinct too, cynic as I am. But it has clearly come as a surprise to everyone connected to The Pogues, including our Press Officer and our Record Company. And anyway, such a scheme would require the complicity of the BBC which, I rather think, would be a tough ask.
    Before this topic fades away, joining the turkey carcass in the trash where it belongs, I just remembered last night that my grandmother Emily (1904-1997), the one who was in Cumann na mBan, used the word "f****t" frequently as a general term of disapproval of some other oul wan or other, invariably female, as in "that one's just an ould f****t". I never knew where it came from, but it certainly had nothing to do with homosexuality. I was never able to "come out" to my gran, because she genuinely would not have had the faintest idea what I was talking about. Gran, though she lived most of her life in Dublin, was born in Drogheda, Co. Louth which, if it is today an urban sprawl, was a more rural place in 1904. Indeed, it was still quite rural in 1966, when I spent a blissful Summer there. I daresay the oul wans of Shane's Co. Tipperary were simililarly unfamiliar with "f****ts" of the politically incorrect kind.

Little did he know it would be still rotting away with the turkey carcass 13 years later.

Bellabog wrote:
    Didn't the BBC make an hour long programme on the making of FONY just a couple of years ago? Wouldn't you have thought they might have listened to the lyrics at that stage?

Phil said:

Well, it's only fair that we distinguish here between "the BBC" and "some silly tosser at BBC Radio One with nothing better to do".

It is, however, true that I personally had the mother of all battles with the silly little researcher from the "Jonathan Ross Show" on BBC TV two years ago - same year as the documentary - when she tried to insist on the "cheap and haggard" version Kirsty and Shane had been talked into in 1991, on the first reissue. I won the battle on points, dismissing this precedent. "That was Kirsty and Shane. This is The Pogues. The Pogues would never have agreed to it. You booked the Pogues." All of this was still going on minutes before we appeared. The Warner Brothers lady was white-going-on-green by this stage, fearing the Beeb would simply fire us altogether. Funny, she started the day Black.

RIP Phil

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement