Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amazon

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Will there be customs with orders from the North?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

this site might help

https://www.hagglezon.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Does anybody have an idea what the customs charges will be? Same as if you're buying from the states?

It'll be the same as the .com site. You add the item to your basket and when you go to pay it'll apply the relevant Irish taxes, the only good thing is that as Amazon do it you save on the processing fee from the delivery company.
    Will there be customs with orders from the North?

With no deal yes and customs charges if you go shopping in the North when you cross back down South.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Does anybody have an idea what the customs charges will be? Same as if you're buying from the states?

23% (+ a €10 handling fee if the customs is not paid at the time of purchase and needs to be collected at the door.)

Depending on UK law you might not have to pay UK VAT so you might also be able to take 18% (I think) off the advertised price

Del2005 wrote: »
    With no deal yes and customs charges if you go shopping in the North when you cross back down South.

The Northern Ireland protocol will prevent this if the UK don't go back on it.

I'm also surprised that Revenue set Nov. 1st as the deadline for starting to build the border checkpoints and closing all the small roads between Ireland and NI but they haven't started yet. Seems to me like a deal could be possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

GarIT wrote: »
    I'm also surprised that Revenue set Nov. 1st as the deadline for starting to build the border checkpoints and closing all the small roads between Ireland and NI but they haven't started yet. Seems to me like a deal could be possible.

That's never going to happen. Even apart from the obvious political and economic reasons it's logistically near impossible.

VG31 wrote: »
    That's never going to happen. Even apart from the obvious political and economic reasons it's logistically near impossible.

We are required to protect the EU border if no deal is made and the NI protocol isn't followed by the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Regarding the “no deal” scenario which is definitely looking more and more likely as the brinkmanship continues.

But, a deal can then be struck afterwards, the day after the deadline, or a week later. It’s important to realise that it just means no deal on that day, it doesn’t mean there will never be a deal.

I’d be 100% certain a deal will be reached, it’s just looking unlikely to have it in advance.

Amazon have now put Euro pricing up on their website.

They seem to be doing Next Day Delivery on some items too.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

2 items I ordered yesterday both due tomorrow, however in last hour tracking changed to out for delivery today. One item just arrived (in a taxi, Nightline) one more due. Both said delivery by Amazon.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,956 ✭✭✭✭rob316

d51984 wrote: »
    2 items I ordered yesterday both due tomorrow, however in last hour tracking changed to out for delivery today. One item just arrived (in a taxi, Nightline) one more due. Both said delivery by Amazon.

Is this Dublin only?

Im in Dublin 5.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,956 ✭✭✭✭rob316

_Brian wrote: »
    Regarding the “no deal” scenario which is definitely looking more and more likely as the brinkmanship continues.

But, a deal can then be struck afterwards, the day after the deadline, or a week later. It’s important to realise that it just means no deal on that day, it doesn’t mean there will never be a deal.

I’d be 100% certain a deal will be reached, it’s just looking unlikely to have it in advance.

Another extension is my guess at the last minute. They already shot one down but they were posturing to the EU when they had more time to negotiate.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Amazon have now put Euro pricing up on their website.

Seem the EUR pricing is indicative, not sure if that is new in settings or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Seem the EUR pricing is indicative, not sure if that is new in settings or not?

I noticed for the first time a few days before Grahamer72 posted about it. Don't think it was there a week ago?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

_Brian wrote: »

The last chance for the EU to ratify the deal is this month. If it isn't ratified then we will need boarder posts till a deal can be made and ratified by the UK and the EU, which will after we've had to install the infrastructure for the 1st of January. The UK pushing ahead with their bill to break the last deal doesn't inspire confidence

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

An attempt to sway more customers into using their lousy currency conversion.

An attempt to sway more customers into using their lousy currency conversion.

The euro prices are actually accurate, you still pay in GBP at the checkout.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Indeed. They now separate the conversion fee as "exchange rate guarantee fee" on the payment screen. Not sure for how long that's been going on, as I pay exclusively in GBP on the uk site to avoid that fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Not all over the country, our postman only comes around in the van Mon-Fri.

They seem to so flat out that they have to hire vans from Enterprise.
    The amazon operation doesn't seem very efficient as I've twice had two deliveries by separate drivers on the same day.

• Advertisement

2nd item just arrived there, delivered by Amazon. Both items a day early so basically one day shipping.

Ive a funny feeling most of Dublin will eventully get one day shipping when this place in Greenouge gets in to full swing.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Last two have been with AMZL, seems like they're probably taking up more and more of the Dub capacity.

Forgot to mention that the vans delivering for amazon have "Parcel King" on them.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Site Banned Posts: 32 ShlugMurphy

With Brexit and the Customs charges from China, it seems the golden age of online buying is gone.

Sad times, they ruin everything with their fees and charges.

With Brexit and the Customs charges from China, it seems the golden age of online buying is gone.

Sad times, they ruin everything with their fees and charges.

We will just shift to buying from other places. W wonky buy a lot from the UK because it is close and English speaking. The Netherlands or Germany will take over as our main place to buy stuff from and we won't notice much of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

You're right. My whole world is imploding to bits due to this. I've saved so much money over the years buying from UK. Not just electronic gadgets on amazon. I just got a catalytic converter for my car for £100. Cheapest I could find here was like €300.
    We will just shift to buying from other places. The Netherlands or Germany will take over

Everything will come with European plugs though and higher postage costs.

Is anybody here cancelling their prime membership?

• Site Banned Posts: 32 ShlugMurphy

We will just shift to buying from other places. W wonky buy a lot from the UK because it is close and English speaking. The Netherlands or Germany will take over as our main place to buy stuff from and we won't notice much of a difference.

Will it be English speaking orientated though?

I've bought phones from Ali from China - cheap ones that do a great job.

Everything will come with European plugs though and higher postage costs.

We can look forward to paying €10-20 for delivery on average.
    Will it be English speaking orientated though?

No. Amazon.de is available in English but most sites won't be trying to cater to the UK/Ireland.

Same thing again today, stuff due tomorrow just been loaded on to van and out for delivery today.

Anyone else getting 1 day shipping?

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

Any update on brexit lark?

Seems amazon.de is going to have to be it from now on.

Advertisement