Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Does this change anything? Email I just got. Seems they're banking on no deal, which unfortunately seems likely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Deub

I have noticed others on this forum saying amazon now have a distribution place in Ireland now is this true.

It is for deliveries. It is not a warehouse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

All depends on whether there will be NO DEAL re Brexit.

The UK might seek another endless extension. You’d never know!

But if not, it’s off to Amazon .EU I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

VG31 wrote: »
    There's no free delivery whatsoever on Amazon.de for non-German/Austrian customers. Except of course if private sellers happen to offer free delivery which is rare.

Apologies, I had deleted my post as you were typing. The last time I purchased from .de there was free delivery. I have purchased 3 or 4 phones there but I believe the last one was 2019 :o.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

d51984 wrote: »
    Yea, got a package myself last night around 7. Have to say the 2 day prime ship is great especially if its been delivered by Amazon this end. I ordered ear pods Friday night and had them last night.

I know An post are ok delivering amazon stuff but you would never get a Sunday Delivery.

Except An Post are doing sunday deliveries at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

I purchased an inflatable snowman from amazon.de last month. Purely on cost saving grounds.

The snowman including postage cost me €48. From the UK site, it would have cost me £75. The postage from the UK was significantly higher than the postage from Germany Now, it did come with a European plug but we have a generic international adaptor which works for it.

Would I use amazon.de again? Yes. But I would do price comparisons first.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭d51984

Are they? You learn something new everyday!

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Does anybody have an idea what the customs charges will be? Same as if you're buying from the states?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

SPDUB wrote: »
    Except An Post are doing sunday deliveries at the moment

Not all over the country, our postman only comes around in the van Mon-Fri.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Its up to the individual areas. My postman started doing Saturdays (West Waterford area) two weeks back. But he told me some areas had started earlier.

I can't see him doing a Sunday as well. The idea is to get parcels cleared so thats all they do 9-12 Saturday morning. He thinks its great as he gets good money for the hours and it takes the pressure off Mondays when there is normally a build up of stuff thats arrived over the weekend.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Will there be customs with orders from the North?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Treppen

this site might help

https://www.hagglezon.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Does anybody have an idea what the customs charges will be? Same as if you're buying from the states?

It'll be the same as the .com site. You add the item to your basket and when you go to pay it'll apply the relevant Irish taxes, the only good thing is that as Amazon do it you save on the processing fee from the delivery company.
    Will there be customs with orders from the North?

With no deal yes and customs charges if you go shopping in the North when you cross back down South.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

23% (+ a €10 handling fee if the customs is not paid at the time of purchase and needs to be collected at the door.)

Depending on UK law you might not have to pay UK VAT so you might also be able to take 18% (I think) off the advertised price

Del2005 wrote: »
    With no deal yes and customs charges if you go shopping in the North when you cross back down South.

The Northern Ireland protocol will prevent this if the UK don't go back on it.

I'm also surprised that Revenue set Nov. 1st as the deadline for starting to build the border checkpoints and closing all the small roads between Ireland and NI but they haven't started yet. Seems to me like a deal could be possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭VG31

GarIT wrote: »
    I'm also surprised that Revenue set Nov. 1st as the deadline for starting to build the border checkpoints and closing all the small roads between Ireland and NI but they haven't started yet. Seems to me like a deal could be possible.

That's never going to happen. Even apart from the obvious political and economic reasons it's logistically near impossible.

VG31 wrote: »
    That's never going to happen. Even apart from the obvious political and economic reasons it's logistically near impossible.

We are required to protect the EU border if no deal is made and the NI protocol isn't followed by the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,617 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Regarding the “no deal” scenario which is definitely looking more and more likely as the brinkmanship continues.

But, a deal can then be struck afterwards, the day after the deadline, or a week later. It’s important to realise that it just means no deal on that day, it doesn’t mean there will never be a deal.

I’d be 100% certain a deal will be reached, it’s just looking unlikely to have it in advance.

Amazon have now put Euro pricing up on their website.

They seem to be doing Next Day Delivery on some items too.

2 items I ordered yesterday both due tomorrow, however in last hour tracking changed to out for delivery today. One item just arrived (in a taxi, Nightline) one more due. Both said delivery by Amazon.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

2 items I ordered yesterday both due tomorrow, however in last hour tracking changed to out for delivery today. One item just arrived (in a taxi, Nightline) one more due. Both said delivery by Amazon.

Is this Dublin only?

Im in Dublin 5.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

_Brian wrote: »
    Regarding the “no deal” scenario which is definitely looking more and more likely as the brinkmanship continues.

But, a deal can then be struck afterwards, the day after the deadline, or a week later. It’s important to realise that it just means no deal on that day, it doesn’t mean there will never be a deal.

I’d be 100% certain a deal will be reached, it’s just looking unlikely to have it in advance.

Another extension is my guess at the last minute. They already shot one down but they were posturing to the EU when they had more time to negotiate.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Amazon have now put Euro pricing up on their website.

Seem the EUR pricing is indicative, not sure if that is new in settings or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Seem the EUR pricing is indicative, not sure if that is new in settings or not?

I noticed for the first time a few days before Grahamer72 posted about it. Don't think it was there a week ago?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

_Brian wrote: »

The last chance for the EU to ratify the deal is this month. If it isn't ratified then we will need boarder posts till a deal can be made and ratified by the UK and the EU, which will after we've had to install the infrastructure for the 1st of January. The UK pushing ahead with their bill to break the last deal doesn't inspire confidence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

An attempt to sway more customers into using their lousy currency conversion.

An attempt to sway more customers into using their lousy currency conversion.

The euro prices are actually accurate, you still pay in GBP at the checkout.

Indeed. They now separate the conversion fee as "exchange rate guarantee fee" on the payment screen. Not sure for how long that's been going on, as I pay exclusively in GBP on the uk site to avoid that fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

They seem to so flat out that they have to hire vans from Enterprise.
    The amazon operation doesn't seem very efficient as I've twice had two deliveries by separate drivers on the same day.

• Advertisement

2nd item just arrived there, delivered by Amazon. Both items a day early so basically one day shipping.

Ive a funny feeling most of Dublin will eventully get one day shipping when this place in Greenouge gets in to full swing.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Last two have been with AMZL, seems like they're probably taking up more and more of the Dub capacity.

Forgot to mention that the vans delivering for amazon have "Parcel King" on them.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Site Banned Posts: 32 ShlugMurphy

With Brexit and the Customs charges from China, it seems the golden age of online buying is gone.

Sad times, they ruin everything with their fees and charges.

With Brexit and the Customs charges from China, it seems the golden age of online buying is gone.

Sad times, they ruin everything with their fees and charges.

We will just shift to buying from other places. W wonky buy a lot from the UK because it is close and English speaking. The Netherlands or Germany will take over as our main place to buy stuff from and we won't notice much of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

You're right. My whole world is imploding to bits due to this. I've saved so much money over the years buying from UK. Not just electronic gadgets on amazon. I just got a catalytic converter for my car for £100. Cheapest I could find here was like €300.
    We will just shift to buying from other places. The Netherlands or Germany will take over

Everything will come with European plugs though and higher postage costs.

Is anybody here cancelling their prime membership?

• Site Banned Posts: 32 ShlugMurphy

We will just shift to buying from other places. W wonky buy a lot from the UK because it is close and English speaking. The Netherlands or Germany will take over as our main place to buy stuff from and we won't notice much of a difference.

Will it be English speaking orientated though?

I've bought phones from Ali from China - cheap ones that do a great job.

Everything will come with European plugs though and higher postage costs.

We can look forward to paying €10-20 for delivery on average.
    Will it be English speaking orientated though?

No. Amazon.de is available in English but most sites won't be trying to cater to the UK/Ireland.

Same thing again today, stuff due tomorrow just been loaded on to van and out for delivery today.

Anyone else getting 1 day shipping?

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Advertisement

I recon as long as there is a market of buyers someone will start selling to cater for that. There will be other English speaking retailers selling from the continent, some of them will even get you your 3 pinned plug.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Yep, have been for a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nikosmendr

Hello

Has anyone bought a TV or something similar from Amazon.de?

I would like to buy a 55'' TV and I am wondering if I ll have to pay any customs or VAT for it.

Cheers
    Nick

Just remember that the prices shown on amazon.de currently include 16% VAT, but the price will be adjusted to 21% VAT on the checkout page if you select an Irish address for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Same thing again today, stuff due tomorrow just been loaded on to van and out for delivery today.

It's amazing. I ordered something I thought was from the UK at around 2pm in the afternoon. Arrived approx 24hrs later!

This type of service is dangerous for my wallet. Also, I'm worried it will set a precedent that I'll expect thing so quickly. It will be a real pain opting for competitors when this is so fast!

The new map things is brilliant. I can see in real-time where the van is. Also got an item a day early today.

I was four stops away on map about an hour ago (Im in D5) Van then makes way on m50 and back to depo. I can still see it on map. Ide say the poor driver just ran out of time.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Advertisement

Ohh actually hold on... Vans making its way back over towards me on m50.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I've had three deliveries now in the last couple of weeks arrive within 24 hours. Great service in fairness.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Damn you Dubs and your privileged existence :D

On a side note, I hadn't heard of ASNDI until somebody mentioned it earlier, but I also have a package that is running late and is meant to be delivered by them. It'll be refund eligible tomorrow, but the ASNDI tracking doesn't work. At least with An Post, you know it'll arrive sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

delly wrote: »
    Damn you Dubs and your privileged existence :D

On a side note, I hadn't heard of ASNDI until somebody mentioned it earlier, but I also have a package that is running late and is meant to be delivered by them. It'll be refund eligible tomorrow, but the ASNDI tracking doesn't work. At least with An Post, you know it'll arrive sooner or later.

Asendia are the worst, they’re the slowest of all the couriers/shipping amazon use and the only company that have actually lost several of my parcels, the others have shown up eventually. I thought amazon had stopped using them at least two years ago due to peoples parcels getting lost or delivered late with them but most of my items have been sent with them recently, amazon must be desperate!

My latest parcel with them was dispatched on the 6th and due on the 16th, it arrived today on the 19th just to give you an idea of what to expect :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Just check your deliveries if you haven't received anything in a while - the system they use uses Bing maps and some areas of Dublin are either mislabelled and / or not recognized at all. Had two separate parcels attempted to deliver today in Clonee, which is some 20km away from where I am. Asked Amazon CS to call me, they called from the UK and it took forever (3 separate calls!) to make them understand that it wasn't the ADDRESS to be wrong, it was where their system thought the address would be that was the issue.

Ended up having to send the last girl I spoke to GPS coordinates - only to hear her going "oh dear, it's THAT far away from where we had it marked?" :D:D:D

They said it's been corrected now...expect delivery tomorrow...we'll see!

• Advertisement
Advertisement