Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I recon as long as there is a market of buyers someone will start selling to cater for that. There will be other English speaking retailers selling from the continent, some of them will even get you your 3 pinned plug.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

d51984 wrote: »

Anyone else getting 1 day shipping?

Yep, have been for a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nikosmendr

Hello

Has anyone bought a TV or something similar from Amazon.de?

I would like to buy a 55'' TV and I am wondering if I ll have to pay any customs or VAT for it.

Cheers
    Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

Sometimes they do anpost. Sometimes they dont and say return it and they will reimburse you but my own experience is you really have to chase them if you go that option.

Im not sure what TV you are after but (esp in January) Harvey norman and power city are unlikely to be beaten on price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Just remember that the prices shown on amazon.de currently include 16% VAT, but the price will be adjusted to 21% VAT on the checkout page if you select an Irish address for delivery.

Just remember that the prices shown on amazon.de currently include 16% VAT, but the price will be adjusted to 21% VAT on the checkout page if you select an Irish address for delivery.

Just gets worse and worse 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Same thing again today, stuff due tomorrow just been loaded on to van and out for delivery today.

It's amazing. I ordered something I thought was from the UK at around 2pm in the afternoon. Arrived approx 24hrs later!

This type of service is dangerous for my wallet. Also, I'm worried it will set a precedent that I'll expect thing so quickly. It will be a real pain opting for competitors when this is so fast!

The new map things is brilliant. I can see in real-time where the van is. Also got an item a day early today.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

I was four stops away on map about an hour ago (Im in D5) Van then makes way on m50 and back to depo. I can still see it on map. Ide say the poor driver just ran out of time.

Its a disgrace Joe!

Ohh actually hold on... Vans making its way back over towards me on m50.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Same thing again today, stuff due tomorrow just been loaded on to van and out for delivery today.

I've had three deliveries now in the last couple of weeks arrive within 24 hours. Great service in fairness.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Damn you Dubs and your privileged existence :D

On a side note, I hadn't heard of ASNDI until somebody mentioned it earlier, but I also have a package that is running late and is meant to be delivered by them. It'll be refund eligible tomorrow, but the ASNDI tracking doesn't work. At least with An Post, you know it'll arrive sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

delly wrote: »
    Damn you Dubs and your privileged existence :D

On a side note, I hadn't heard of ASNDI until somebody mentioned it earlier, but I also have a package that is running late and is meant to be delivered by them. It'll be refund eligible tomorrow, but the ASNDI tracking doesn't work. At least with An Post, you know it'll arrive sooner or later.

Asendia are the worst, they’re the slowest of all the couriers/shipping amazon use and the only company that have actually lost several of my parcels, the others have shown up eventually. I thought amazon had stopped using them at least two years ago due to peoples parcels getting lost or delivered late with them but most of my items have been sent with them recently, amazon must be desperate!

My latest parcel with them was dispatched on the 6th and due on the 16th, it arrived today on the 19th just to give you an idea of what to expect :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Just check your deliveries if you haven't received anything in a while - the system they use uses Bing maps and some areas of Dublin are either mislabelled and / or not recognized at all. Had two separate parcels attempted to deliver today in Clonee, which is some 20km away from where I am. Asked Amazon CS to call me, they called from the UK and it took forever (3 separate calls!) to make them understand that it wasn't the ADDRESS to be wrong, it was where their system thought the address would be that was the issue.

Ended up having to send the last girl I spoke to GPS coordinates - only to hear her going "oh dear, it's THAT far away from where we had it marked?" :D:D:D

They said it's been corrected now...expect delivery tomorrow...we'll see!

Got a driver from Derry today. Nice chap. He said they come down for a week to help out until Greenouge depos fully operational.

Im only ordering stuff with 2 day prime, your guarenteed it in one or two days.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Just check your deliveries if you haven't received anything in a while - the system they use uses Bing maps and some areas of Dublin are either mislabelled and / or not recognized at all. Had two separate parcels attempted to deliver today in Clonee, which is some 20km away from where I am. Asked Amazon CS to call me, they called from the UK and it took forever (3 separate calls!) to make them understand that it wasn't the ADDRESS to be wrong, it was where their system thought the address would be that was the issue.

Ended up having to send the last girl I spoke to GPS coordinates - only to hear her going "oh dear, it's THAT far away from where we had it marked?" :D:D:D

They said it's been corrected now...expect delivery tomorrow...we'll see!

That explains why the didn't go to a newly built area with a packet but to a slightly similar old address in a case I heard about .

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭tadgho

Is there any way of contacting Amazon and talking to someone regarding an order that hasn't been dispatched after a week? Their chat online with a bot is annoying!! Is phone or email an option or effective in getting hold of them?!

tadgho wrote: »
    Is there any way of contacting Amazon and talking to someone regarding an order that hasn't been dispatched after a week? Their chat online with a bot is annoying!! Is phone or email an option or effective in getting hold of them?!
    Type: "talk to a human"in the chat and it will connect you to a real person.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Type: "talk to a human"in the chat and it will connect you to a real person.

Always works for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I don't know why I'm so unlucky but I'm finding Amazon delivery times to be getting worse, even with a Prime trial active. It's typically taking a week to dispatch and then delivery is slow. And this is for items sold and dispatched by Amazon.

Bought an Alexa item on Friday and delivery estimate is December 10th! At this rate I'll have to cutoff ordering from Amazon in the next week to ensure Christmas delivery.

I live about 15 minutes from Limerick and 10 minutes from an industrial estate that has depots for several of the main courier companies so not very remote.

I'm noticing it more recently with an increase in online ordering, we have found Next and M&M Direct to be the fastest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Does anyone else find Amazon delivery totally all over the place?

Here is a delivery I was waiting on today. At one stage it was directly outside my apartment and only three stops away, I could see the van from the window. Then it started mysteriously driving away. Now (an hour later) it is a different part of the city.

533894.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

SPDUB wrote: »
    That explains why the didn't go to a newly built area with a packet but to a slightly similar old address in a case I heard about .

Long story short, this is basically yet another "automation failure" - looks like the parcels get assigned a route based on an address lookup on a logistics platform, which in turn used Bing Maps; Which in turn...seems to sometimes try to resolve addresses it doesn't know as something that "looks similar" (!).

From thereon, nobody essentially checks what is going where until the driver is made to look like a tit for trying to deliver a package intended for somebody in Lucan...to a similarly named street in Lusk.

It will take manual action from Amazon to correctly locate your address on the system - I got my packages in the end, one Friday night the other on Saturday afternoon, after they moved the "pin" for my address.

(ps. the driver I spoke to on Friday also told me THEY are also trying to help by pointing out where the addresses are when they find themselves handling these misdirected deliveries).

Just got the next day delivery enabled for my account (area?) too. I wish though they would turn on optional delivery consolidation, as already available in the UK (Amazon Delivery Day). I have recently ordered multiple, mostly small items and most of them were dispatched in separate packages (even if a part of the same order), which even if delivered on the same day, often end up in different vans from my experience so far. I would not mind waiting a bit longer for some of those orders if they were to be delivered all together, as an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

£8 item, free One-Day. Lets see if it comes tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

An attempt to sway more customers into using their lousy currency conversion.

It's actually not that bad at all. I played around with it a few times on recent purchases and when you factor in the bank charge for paying in GBP the difference is only a fraction of 1% especially once you go over €254 (minimum charge being €2.54).

There's no way around the ~1.5% cost of a foreign currency using a mainstream card.

Looking at it today, it would actually slightly benefit to pay in Euro:

For example
    https://smile.amazon.co.uk/LG-43UN71006LB-Freeview-Freesat-built/dp/B0853M2SXL/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=43+tv&qid=1606155601&sr=8-4

With Irish VAT £321.65 or €369.15 rate 1.14767

If you use XE.com £321.65 is €361.57 straight conversion

If I paid in Sterling:
    Amount at Mastercard rate €362.75
    Cross-border handling fee €8.16
    Total transaction amount €370.91

Revolut FX conversion is "free" but for sure their rate would not be as good as XE either.

Edit: Revolut's rate is extremely good, within 0.01 of XE.
    0.5% fee above $1k or equivalent.

Go to the payment screen and check the total price there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 szakul59

Yesterday i cancelled my prime membership. The dispatch was usually done in a day or two, but the delivery was taking about a week...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Just got the next day delivery enabled for my account (area?) too.

Is this just at random? How did you know?

errlloyd wrote: »
    Is this just at random? How did you know?
    I had several product pages open, all with the usual 2 day delivery and they all changed to 1 day delivery on page refresh. That shipping option is not offered for every product sold by Amazon, but I presume it will remain available most of the time e.g. for the Fire tablet, so you can use its page to test https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WDF13WC

freeoneday.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Just got the next day delivery enabled for my account (area?) too. I wish though they would turn on optional delivery consolidation, as already available in the UK (Amazon Delivery Day). I have recently ordered multiple, mostly small items and most of them were dispatched in separate packages (even if a part of the same order), which even if delivered on the same day, often end up in different vans from my experience so far. I would not mind waiting a bit longer for some of those orders if they were to be delivered all together, as an option.

Absolutely, I'd happily wait for a day to have one delivery rather than two.

Advertisement