Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VI - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,902 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

darconio wrote: »
    As far as I remember masks were not mandatory during the first lockdown? So either one measure work and the other doesn't or both don't work or simply the curve is following its course, and it would have gone down without a lockdown either way.

One works to an extent the other works to a greater extent because it cuts down on the number of contacts.
    To believe that cases would have just dropped off without lockdown is ignoring reality.
    If there is one thing we can thanks Sweden for, it is showing how misguided that belief is.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭batman75

Depopulation ;)

:p boom boom :)

It's something though that I have not heard discussed and I'm surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

batman75 wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see long term what the population impact of corona virus is. Not in the sense of deaths but in terms of people are not meeting as before. Therefore new couples are not being formed as is the societal norm. The longer the pandemic goes on the more profound the effect will be.

Couples caught in captivity together for the best part of a year will rather turn celibate than look at one another.

So I doubt it will help with the falling birth rate in the 1st world, nor the rising one in the 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭batman75

Couples caught in captivity together for the best part of a year will rather turn celibate than look at one another.

So I doubt it will help with the falling birth rate in the 1st world, nor the rising one in the 3rd.

The central point is more the lack of new couples.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Ireland is pretty high up in the birth rate chart in Europe.

Not sure what couples you know, but if they are like that, maybe they shouldn't of been together

• Advertisement

The central point is more the lack of new couples.

A year won't have that much effect on couples. Jaysus when this over by the summer, could you imagine Coppers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Jaysus the quality of discussion in this thread has gone down.

Unsurprisingly there are still good few initiated individuals who have very little awareness that we've conducted 30%+ less tests over the last 7 days than we did 2-3 weeks, unsurprisingly we have less cases as well. Although I suppose the correlation between amount of tests and amount of cases will quickly be swept under the rug of "lockdowns are working".

Jaysus the quality of discussion in this thread has gone down.

Unsurprisingly there are still good few initiated individuals who have very little awareness that we've conducted 30%+ less tests over the last 7 days than we did 2-3 weeks, unsurprisingly we have less cases as well. Although I suppose the correlation between amount of tests and amount of cases will quickly be swept under the rug of "lockdowns are working".

Is that due to less numbers turning up for tests ?

Can you provide the link as it be good to read it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,864 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

charlie14 wrote: »
    I`m not using a notion. I`m using verifiable data.
    A notion is an assumption/guesswork with no date to back up either.

ill ask again, for the third time, do you actually believe that the number of reported cases represents the totality of cases in the state?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

A year won't have that much effect on couples. Jaysus when this over by the summer, could you imagine Coppers!!!

Sure. Like we said this would be over by Christmas...the goalposts continually shift ala the whims of Tony. Even when there’s a vaccine “we will still need caution” and therefore restrictions- he proclaimed as much yesterday. Read the tea leaves. These lot aren’t letting go anytime. It’s just too lucrative

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

road_high wrote: »
    Sure. Like we said this would be over by Christmas...the goalposts continually shift ala the whims of Tony. Even when there’s a vaccine “we will still need caution” and therefore restrictions- he proclaimed as much yesterday. Read the tea leaves. These lot aren’t letting go anytime. It’s just too lucrative

and tony is correct, yesterday's news is great but absolutely caution is needed until the vaccine is approved and we know for sure how it works in the field.
    it would be irresponsible of tony to not state the reality and to get people's hopes up.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

They will be on I’m a celebrity next

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    They will be on I’m a celebrity next

Whatever keeps the coins rolling in you’ll find this lot of bull****e artists not too far away. I can imagine they’re already laying the foundations for “future pandemics” so they’ll never leave the gravy train

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭zf0wqv9oemuasj

Hi, the number of people in my circle of friends announcing they are expecting for the new year would suggest otherwise to your post.

I actually believe birth rates are likely to increase, things like working from home and so on are very beneficial also allowing more support to be around a new mother with her husband only in the next room rather than an hour away and people expecting to work at home for all next year may bring forward plans to have a child/their next child to coincide with this.

From reading this thread over the last few weeks and comparing with other threads, other platforms and what I see in my own life it is a little lost on some posting here I feel that the past year hasn't been a bad time at all for many and quite a number of people would take it as being a good period in their lives and so on. That is not to deny it has been a bad time for many also but there are two sides to every coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

charlie14 wrote: »
    One works to an extent the other works to a greater extent because it cuts down on the number of contacts.
    To believe that cases would have just dropped off without lockdown is ignoring reality.
    If there is one thing we can thanks Sweden for, it is showing how misguided that belief is.

At the peak of the so called "second wave" it was decided to proceed with the lockdown. During the first 2 weeks the number of tested positive constantly decreased: this is not thanks to people not going to Pennys anymore, if that was the case it would deny the story about the 2 weeks incubation and all the bs they tried to fed us.
    Personally I think the government, and whoever decide on these directives, have lost credibility: they haven't been honest with the numbers, they haven't been honest with the counter measures, they haven't been honest when they proclaimed to open the pubs but every time they were finding a new excuse.
    I'm not contesting the fact that lockdown is containing the infection, that is lapalissian, I am contesting its necessity, and the price we will have to pay for many years to come.

Once we get majority of over 60 vaccinated we will open fully. Best case scenario Easter, worst case Summer

Hi, the number of people in my circle of friends announcing they are expecting for the new year would suggest otherwise to your post.

I actually believe birth rates are likely to increase, things like working from home and so on are very beneficial also allowing more support to be around a new mother with her husband only in the next room rather than an hour away and people expecting to work at home for all next year may bring forward plans to have a child/their next child to coincide with this.

From reading this thread over the last few weeks and comparing with other threads, other platforms and what I see in my own life it is a little lost on some posting here I feel that the past year hasn't been a bad time at all for many and quite a number of people would take it as being a good period in their lives and so on. That is no to deny it has been a bad time for many also but there are two sides to every coin.

There will be a baby boom out of this, especially now with the dark nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

From reading this thread over the last few weeks and comparing with other threads, other platforms and what I see in my own life it is a little lost on some posting here I feel that the past year hasn't been a bad time at all for many and quite a number of people would take it as being a good period in their lives and so on. That is no to deny it has been a bad time for many also but there are two sides to every coin.

The bold bit is what we have reiterated time and time again in this thread.

So many lives have not yet had any inconvenience . . . yet

I don’t think you meant it, but your post stank of patronisation

Sorry I didn't intend to be patronising at all, so if my post appeared that way it was unintentional.

I'm not sure those working in many sectors who are not being impacted now are at any major risk of it happening going forward being honest especially now with a vaccine on the horizon. The biggest potential risk is slight tax increases but the government in Ireland and around Europe have been adamant that austerity will not be used and the intention is to spend our way out of any economic issues caused by the virus.

In the IT sector the biggest pushers right now is 5G and the automotive industry, its just going through the roof now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

In the IT sector the biggest pushers right now is 5G and the automotive industry, its just going through the roof now!

Yes. It’s just that highlighting how well some industries are doing, and how some people’s quality of life has benefited from Covid is an attitude that doesn’t smell nice.

Yes. It’s just that highlighting how well some industries are doing, and how some people’s quality of life has benefited from Covid is an attitude that doesn’t smell nice.

Not benefit, yes job still there but you don't what or who we lost in the last 8 months.

And note in all booms quality of life improves for some and gets worst for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭Allinall

Whatever keeps the coins rolling in you’ll find this lot of bull****e artists not too far away. I can imagine they’re already laying the foundations for “future pandemics” so they’ll never leave the gravy train

Curious as to what you mean by the bolded bits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭nofools

Most people aren't fully ahdering to the lockdowns. There's a poll on another thread and I think over half admitted they're flouting the 'rules' (albeit most in a more cautious way).

People have lost interest in the whole lockdown thing. They can see that a virus with less than 0.1% fatality rate for majority of the population doesn't justify turning their life completely upside down for. The death figures are very low, and the average age of Corona deaths is the same as the average age of people dying anyway.

You can champion lockdowns all you want and stay in your house until your government tell you it's safe to leave. The rest of us will get on with our lives. Not having a go at you, but it's just reality.

0.1% now is it? Interesting

This is the type of thing that doesn't warrant a response like the bit I ignored yesterday.

It isn't my opinion that the consensus here are completely wrong, it is a verifiable fact.

I am not championing lockdowns, it is the consensus here who are doing their best to get more of them. I am an anti champion for the treasonous noise that is made in this thread that the risks can be downplayed, just a flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Not benefit, yes job still there but you don't what or who we lost in the last 8 months.

And note in all booms quality of life improves for some and gets worst for others.

Sorry for any losses you’ve suffered.

Talking about how your industry has gone through the roof is different to being grateful to still have a job.

Yes swings and roundabouts with busts and booms. Sensitivity for those who have lost out this time isn’t a big ask.

It will be interesting to see long term what the population impact of corona virus is. Not in the sense of deaths but in terms of people are not meeting as before. Therefore new couples are not being formed as is the societal norm. The longer the pandemic goes on the more profound the effect will be.

And the turkeys here are doing their best to keep it going longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

nofools wrote: »
    And the turkeys here are doing their best to keep it going longer.

Gobble gobble

• Registered Users Posts: 19,864 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

nofools wrote: »
    0.1% now is it? Interesting

well you would assume he is referring to the 76% of the population under 55.

I don't think its very fair that people who are not impacted/benefiting and so on are made to feel bad about it. I made a comment on the thread discussing working from home how staying at level 5 suits me personally as it removes any suggestion of returning to the office (even some of the time) and personally that's a very good thing for me (and my family) but that post was not well received. Are people not entitled to want whats best for them?

The thing is almost every situation no matter how good in general can be bad for some people so is no one ever allowed to highlight something is good for them?

I think its possible to feel sorry for those who are impacted and so on while still being conscious that the situation suits some and understanding why they might want some aspects of whats happened over the past year to continue as it has been very beneficial. For sure there are some (posters and people in general) who are going over the top in their delight with the current situation but I don't think saying it suits you is doing that or being insensitive.

• Advertisement

Allinall wrote: »
    Curious as to what you mean by the bolded bits?

Obsessed with other peoples money, a belief that all people in public life only make decisions in their own corrupt interest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement