Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VI - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Caught a clip of our Dear Leader st Tony there on news earlier- clear he doesn’t/didn’t want to know about the new vaccine - obvious from his body language and words. Code for- There’s no way this clown is giving up control anytime soon and we will be continuing with this nonsense as long as humanly possible- even with a vaccine. He’s found a very nice little niche that requires no innovation or lateral thinking.
    I’ve all but given up on Covid 19, haven’t posted here in weeks since the latest waste of time lockdown. No one else seems to give a hoot about how we are paying for any of this. My only hope is other more sensible, rational nations will get on with it soon as the vaccine rolls out and eventually we’ll have to do the same

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,098 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

otis wrote: »
    Melbourneman, can I respectfully request that you please answer other poster's queries, are you a member of NPHET? Otherwise are you are common or garden troll? I'll wait
    If you have a problem with a post or poster report it and leave the modding to the mods

In addition it is inappropriate to request an anonymous account holder to reveal their identity, and indeed anyone they mat say they are cannot be verified unless formally vetted at Office level. So drop the point

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

charlie14 wrote: »
    FFS do you know so little about vaccine trials that you somehow believe anybody even imagines that all participants in trials receive the vaccine.

It was you who posted it ....... or has that little fact slipped your mind?

You may not be in favour of vaccines, but that does not entitle you to act like a petulant child.

I might be or I might not be. That is for me to decide.

In the meantime I would appreciate you keeping to the matter under discussion and quit your personal attacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭zf0wqv9oemuasj

It is very sad to see the attitude from posters in this thread toward Tony Holohan who is really doing a great job and the vast majority of people in the country are 100% behind him.

This thread most certainly appears to be a collection of militantly anti-restriction posters and so on who have no thought or understanding at all on how to manage a pandemic.

It is very sad to see the attitude from posters in this thread toward Tony Holohan who is really doing a great job and the vast majority of people in the country are 100% behind him.

Plenty of terminally ill women would disagree.
    Hopefully we have a tribunal on the nursing homes as well.

Incredible that a man with so much blood on his hands still has a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Elessar

This thread most certainly appears to be a collection of militantly anti-restriction posters and so on who have no thought or understanding at all on how to manage a pandemic.

It's very sad to see how short peoples memories are in this country tbh

road_high wrote: »
    Caught a clip of our Dear Leader st Tony there on news earlier- clear he doesn’t/didn’t want to know about the new vaccine - obvious from his body language and words. Code for- There’s no way this clown is giving up control anytime soon and we will be continuing with this nonsense as long as humanly possible- even with a vaccine. He’s found a very nice little niche that requires no innovation or lateral thinking.
    I’ve all but given up on Covid 19, haven’t posted here in weeks since the latest waste of time lockdown. No one else seems to give a hoot about how we are paying for any of this. My only hope is other more sensible, rational nations will get on with it soon as the vaccine rolls out and eventually we’ll have to do the same

Sad to lose good posters but only so much you can say.

We’ve been a 1 issue society for all of 2020.

Most people have their head in the sand and don’t realise what’s ahead.

This thread most certainly appears to be a collection of militantly anti-restriction posters who have no thought or understanding at all on how to manage a pandemic.

What exactly has he done that’s so amazing? Apart from “lockdowns “ and more lockdowns and more lockdowns which will also fail miserably this charlatan has absolutely nothing, zilch, nada to offer. Here we are once again in lockdown wasting billions robbing from the future healthcare care, welfare and educational resources from those that will need it in future years.
    He should have no public remit whatsoever, all this supposed advice he offers should be done privately to elected, accountable government. But he’s cleverly moulded himself into this cult of personality (as evidenced from your post, you’re clearly a devout worshipper) in order to reshape his previously garbage standing and reinvent new roles for himself presently and into the future. These lot have found a handy niche fro themselves and tapped into irrational public fear which is an extremely powerful weapon.
    I’ve seen the stats on C19- it doesn’t scare me one bit and I’d the most overblown nonsense of our lifetimes. Time will confirm and won’t reflect kindly on the hysterics currently controlling all semblance of once normal life

• Registered Users Posts: 38,179 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Before all of this covid stuff Lots of people like myself were never aware of a CMO and NPHET. Never heard of Dr Tony Hoolahan either

How come other countries don't have there 'experts' all over the media everyday ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭MelbourneMan

Plenty of terminally ill women would disagree.
    Hopefully we have a tribunal on the nursing homes as well.

Incredible that a man with so much blood on his hands still has a job.

Hello. I am guessing that you are referring here to events entirely unrelated to the corona pandemic, and think it entirely inappropriate at this time.

I would concur with the posting above that the quality of advice, and indeed the general conduct of the government in taking heed of it in their decision making, leadership, and implementation of counter corona measures, has been on the whole, been very good, and stands up very well to international comparison with its equivalents in other jurisdictions.

And concur also with the observation that there seems to be a strong anti-authority, anti-government, anti-establishment, and even anti-expert, tendency amongst a small group of posters hereabouts. This is most unhelpful, when the benefits of a population pulling together, giving its elected representatives support, and acknowledging the work of its most expert professionals in the field most required at this time, should not be underestimated.

You are either part of the problem, or part of the solution, goes an old phrase.

• Advertisement

Sad to lose good posters but only so much you can say.

We’ve been a 1 issue society for all of 2020.

Most people have their head in the sand and don’t realise what’s ahead.

Yea cheers, once the current lockdown started I’ve parked it. Plus the US elections and work etc all been great distraction. Lockdowns are an utter waste of time, we all know that but the medical elites and political classes are hooked on them for various reasons, very little to do with a relatively harmless virus in my opinion.
    Not sure the public actually buy into lockdowns especially the latest one (they say they do of course, virtue signalling trumps all as you know) - but traffic, local take away coffee shops and parks/streets certainly all tell a different story.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Lots of people like myself were never aware of a CMO and NPHET. Never heard of Dr Tony Hoolahan either

How come other countries don't have there 'experts' all over the media everyday ??

Because they are normal functioning democracies with less of a hypochondriacal bent that you get in Ireland. Covid 19 (The response/hysteria not the actual virus) is the worst thing ever to happen to Irish society as we have a poor enough tradition of individual health responsibility (look at our obesity rates), an easily frightened and very often non scientific population who live to indulge in hero worship - no surprise we end up with the disasterous scenario we are currently stuck in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,029 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

It was you who posted it ....... or has that little fact slipped your mind?

I might be or I might not be. That is for me to decide.

In the meantime I would appreciate you keeping to the matter under discussion and quit your personal attacks.

Good for you, and as I will not be wasting any more of my time dealing with your nonsense, you will now have even more time on your hands to decide if you might or you might not be in favour of vaccines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭nofools

I see it is called "crying wolf" now.

This must be the most deluded corner of the entire internet.

Would be funny if it wasn't so tragic.

Let's hope this vaccine works.

If only we could vaccinate against the other problem.

Hello. I am guessing that you are referring here to events entirely unrelated to the corona pandemic, and think it entirely inappropriate at this time.

I would concur with the posting above that the quality of advice, and indeed the general conduct of the government in taking heed of it in their decision making, leadership, and implementation of counter corona measures, has been on the whole, been very good, and stands up very well to international comparison with its equivalents in other jurisdictions.

And concur also with the observation that there seems to be a strong anti-authority, anti-government, anti-establishment, and even anti-expert, tendency amongst a small group of posters hereabouts. This is most unhelpful, when the benefits of a population pulling together, giving its elected representatives support, and acknowledging the work of its most expert professionals in the field most required at this time, should not be underestimated.

You are either part of the problem, or part of the solution, goes an old phrase.

I admire your composure when you have to listen to that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Before all of this covid stuff Lots of people like myself were never aware of a CMO and NPHET. Never heard of Dr Tony Hoolahan either

You wouldn't have heard of NPHET because it wasn't around before 'all this Covid stuff'. Other countries do have their experts in the media. The CMO in the north is called Michael McBride. The CMO in England is Chris Whitty. The only reason I know their names is because they are in the media. Perhaps the reason you don't realise that other countries have their experts in the media is because you are only subjected to Irish media. I mainly listen to BBC and LBC in the car. I don't rate RTE at all.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Because they are normal functioning democracies with less of a hypochondriacal bent that you get in Ireland. Covid 19 (The response/hysteria not the actual virus) is the worst thing ever to happen to Irish society as we have a poor enough tradition of individual health responsibility (look at our obesity rates), an easily frightened and very often non scientific population who live to indulge in hero worship - no surprise we end up with the disasterous scenario we are currently stuck in.

The anti lockdown view is the anti science view.

You can't ignore the data and pretend you are objective. I gather that most opinions here are formed from just the data in Ireland. There is plenty more which should knock you out of your inertia if you have any genuine honesty and haven't nailed your colours to the mast already.

I respectfully disagree. It is a hallmark of a free democracy for those in positions of power, and their decisions, to be scrutinised and challenged. Especially those which concern a vast amount of power and influence over an entire populace. It is damaging and authoritarian to suggest people should just "give its elected representatives support" without question.

I completely disagree that we stand up well to international comparison, particularly with regard to the opening up of society over the summer when compared with our European peers. I could go on and on about the damage these decisions are having on the non-covid affected public and how no member of NPHET will ever have to suffer the loss of a single euro from their payslip regardless of how strict the measures, about the jobs, the mental health, and so on and so on but I would be here all night.

But thanks for your input Tony.

Elessar wrote: »
    I respectfully disagree. It is a hallmark of a free democracy for those in positions of power, and their decisions, to be scrutinised and challenged. Especially those which concern a vast amount of power and influence over an entire populace. It is damaging and authoritarian to suggest people should just "give its elected representatives support" without question.

I completely disagree that we stand up well to international comparison, particularly with regard to the opening up of society over the summer when compared with our European peers. I could go on and on about the damage these decisions are having on the non-covid affected public and how no member of NPHET will ever have to suffer the loss of a single euro from their payslip regardless of how strict the measures, about the jobs, the mental health, and so on and so on but I would be here all night.

But thanks for your input Tony.

I find your views ridiculous and ironic.

If anything Europe is paying the price now for what you are celebrating.

You talk about rights and freedom and democracy...well this line of thinking continues to impeed my freedom (and yours).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,344 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Since the cervical cancer scandal is not the sort of thing that should be easily forgotten, so many people did indeed know who Tony Holahan was. Not all of them are still with us unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Since the cervical cancer scandal is not the sort of thing that should be easily forgotten, so many people did indeed know who Tony Holahan was. Not all of them are still with us unfortunately.

You think he is directly responsible for an error in the testing?

It always turns personal when your arguments are found to be lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

What exactly has he done that’s so amazing? Apart from “lockdowns “ and more lockdowns and more lockdowns which will also fail miserably this charlatan has absolutely nothing, zilch, nada to offer. Here we are once again in lockdown wasting billions robbing from the future healthcare care, welfare and educational resources from those that will need it in future years.
    He should have no public remit whatsoever, all this supposed advice he offers should be done privately to elected, accountable government. But he’s cleverly moulded himself into this cult of personality (as evidenced from your post, you’re clearly a devout worshipper) in order to reshape his previously garbage standing and reinvent new roles for himself presently and into the future. These lot have found a handy niche fro themselves and tapped into irrational public fear which is an extremely powerful weapon.
    I’ve seen the stats on C19- it doesn’t scare me one bit and I’d the most overblown nonsense of our lifetimes. Time will confirm and won’t reflect kindly on the hysterics currently controlling all semblance of once normal life

this is only the second lock down, and just like the last one it is working.
    the only people who are engaging in hysterics as far as i can see are the anti-restrictions crowd because they know the game is up and the majority do not want anything to do with them.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

nofools wrote: »
    If anything Europe is paying the price now for what you are celebrating.

You talk about rights and freedom and democracy...well this line of thinking continues to impeed my freedom (and yours).

Europe and Ireland are both in the same positions now. Who had the stricter restrictions and where did they lead? To the very same place.

Freedom and democracy impedes your freedom? What?

For the record, I am not anti-restriction entirely. I question the strict measures and unquestioning compliance of government on NPHET recommendations. There is a lot more to public health than covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,344 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You think he is directly responsible for an error in the testing?

It always turns personal when your arguments are found to be lacking.

Like, I know you are on the late shift again, but what does that even mean?

I make the very simple point that Holohan was already very well known due to the cervical cancer scandal, yet your response is some non-sequiter about something I never said...

Your first incarnation was less obvious about these things.

the only people who are engaging in hysterics as far as i can see are the anti-restrictions crowd because they know the game is up and the majority do not want anything to do with them.

They can't admit they are completely wrong.

At least some of the other cheerleaders seem to have left and it is just a few die hards who haven't got the memo.

The anti lockdown view is the anti science view.

You can't ignore the data and pretend you are objective. I gather that most opinions here are formed from just the data in Ireland. There is plenty more which should knock you out of your inertia if you have any genuine honesty and haven't nailed your colours to the mast already.

Don’t make me laugh ffs. Lockdowns aren’t in any way scientific and it’s impossible to tease out any link between reduced Covid cases and the latest suite of nonsense we are currently compelled to. People like see 2+2 and get 5 basically. You buy into it as that’s what you’re told and probably gives you this feel good reward if thinking you’re doing something “in the big fight”. No matter how anytime the mistake is repeated you’ll likely want to repeat it

Like, I know you are on the late shift again, but what does that even mean?

I make the very simple point that Holohan was already very well known due to the cervical cancer scandal, yet your response is some non-sequiter about something I never said...

Your first incarnation was less obvious about these things.

First incarnation?

Why did you raise it if isn't a smear attempt? Others were using "cervical tony".

Very disrespectful to all sides of that sad story.

Nah, we never left the first one fully and had various incarnations in between- all pathetic failures. Just like this one will be too as you’ll be back in 6 weeks time with the same virtue signalling. Rinse and repeat until National bankruptcy

Don’t make me laugh ffs. Lockdowns aren’t in any way scientific and it’s impossible to tease out any link between reduced Covid cases and the latest suite of nonsense we are currently compelled to. People like see 2+2 and get 5 basically. You buy into it as that’s what you’re told and probably gives you this feel good reward if thinking you’re doing something “in the big fight”. No matter how anytime the mistake is repeated you’ll likely want to repeat it

Of course it is possible, otherwise how do you explain the difference between the top 5 and the bottom five worst affected?

You are simply denying the obvious.

• Advertisement

Elessar wrote: »
    Europe and Ireland are both in the same positions now. Who had the stricter restrictions and where did they lead? To the very same place.

Freedom and democracy impedes your freedom? What?

For the record, I am not anti-restriction entirely. I question the strict measures and unquestioning compliance of government on NPHET recommendations. There is a lot more to public health than covid.

They are not in the same position by an objective look at the data....we are trying to avoid getting there.

To call a spade a spade, you are ignoring the truth to suit your terribly wrong arguments.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement