Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭914

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about the citation that just left the airport?

Most likely private aircraft. Several of them operate in and out of Waterford.

Mainly (wealthy) families from the UK who have houses in Ireland, fly in and out each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

914 wrote:
    Mainly (wealthy) families from the UK who have houses in Ireland, fly in and out each week.

Seemed to be flying west, must look at playback to see where it went to, distinctive sound

Seemed to be flying west, must look at playback to see where it went to, distinctive sound

Possibly Air Ambulance or Irish Air Core

914 wrote:
    Possibly Air Ambulance or Irish Air Core

Would they have a citation in their fleet?

Would they have a citation in their fleet?

No your right, aer core has a lear jet.

As for air ambulances, private companies often operate citations.

Although strange to go west direction as they would mainly to be to UK or EU mainland.

• Advertisement

914 wrote: »

Although strange to go west direction as they would mainly to be to UK or EU mainland.

went straight to shannon, looks like it could still be there

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭curmudgeonly

6 more days to AN Bord Pleannala's decision on runway extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Air Corp ffs! Not an apple that you're talking about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

6 more days to AN Bord Pleannala's decision on runway extension.

2 1/4 years later we get a 'decision':

From August 2018:

http://www.munster-express.ie/front-page-news/runway-extension-plan-lodged/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Dum_Dum wrote: »

From August 2018:

That is fast by Irish standards with these things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Air Corp ffs! Not an apple that you're talking about!

Air Corps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

From August 2018:

Who is 'we' here - the airport company?

I think a four month turnaround from An Bord Pleanala (application was submitted in July) would be excellent. You'd do well to get that sort of time frame if you were building a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

Ironically, now is the best time to work on the airport for expansion. Wonder what they'll decide however...

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Teebor15

hardybuck wrote: »
    Who is 'we' here - the airport company?

I think a four month turnaround from An Bord Pleanala (application was submitted in July) would be excellent. You'd do well to get that sort of time frame if you were building a house.

8 weeks for a planning application with WCC

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭curmudgeonly

I would imagine start late next spring and open the following year.
    It's very heavy marl ground, not a place to be building in the wet.

Teebor15 wrote: »
    8 weeks for a planning application with WCC

Assuming that no further information is sought, and you've got no objections.

Think the planning will be approved but will it get the funding required.

Aviation isn't in a great place at present. Cork and Shannon are struggling, with FF in power and two Cork men Martin and Covney, will they really want further competition for Cork.

Genuine question, not stirring ****.

I agree now is the time to do it but will we have the political support?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

I would imagine start late next spring and open the following year.
    It's very heavy marl ground, not a place to be building in the wet.

Try telling that to the people that built Hong Kong International airport on reclaimed land lol.

Aviation isn't in a great place at present. Cork and Shannon are struggling, with FF in power and two Cork men Martin and Covney, will they really want further competition for Cork.

I'd have very serious concerns about the financial viability of Waterford Airport. Before Covid I think all of the airports with the exception of Dublin lost money.

I think the €7m of public funding for the extension is the thin end of the wedge. It'll need ongoing financial aid from the Government when it becomes operational, and the €5m it received last year (and presumably it got another few million this year) being a case in point.

If you gave people in Waterford the guts of €5m a year to spend on a transport project, I'm not sure if they'd have this as their first priority.

However it may help to create jobs and investment in the region so there is a potential return on investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Don’t underestimate the value of a daily flight to London in terms of the attractiveness of this area for inward investment.

• Advertisement

hardybuck wrote:
    However it may help to create jobs and investment in the region so there is a potential return on investment.

With the city developments coming on stream, the airport extension now may become viable, id imagine airport activities will also increase due to city activities, but the aviation industry certainly is in a lot of trouble

I agree with the above posts having connection to London would highly beneficial especially if we are looking at companies possibly relocating to Ireland due to Brexit, a fully functional airport in Waterford would have us as the closest city to London in Ireland.

I have major concerns with the government. I can see Cork struggling due to the effects of covid and can see government pumping money into cork as opposed to getting Waterford Airport up and runnning.

How long does planning last, five years? That would give enough time for aviation to turn things around hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Teebor15

hardybuck wrote: »
    I think the €7m of public funding for the extension is the thin end of the wedge. It'll need ongoing financial aid from the Government when it becomes operational, and the €5m it received last year (and presumably it got another few million this year) being a case in point.

€5m last year???? another few million this year???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The reality is that 90%+ of the Waterford air traffic is going to Dublin, very little is going to Cork. Due to the prices and options out of Dublin, the regional airports get an edge on proximity and compete far more with the behemoth up their respective motorways than with each other. I'd say the people in Cork Airport could care less whether an airport opens in Waterford or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

snotboogie wrote: »
    The reality is that 90%+ of the Waterford air traffic is going to Dublin, very little is going to Cork. Due to the prices and options out of Dublin, the regional airports get an edge on proximity and compete far more with the behemoth up their respective motorways than with each other. I'd say the people in Cork Airport could care less whether an airport opens in Waterford or not.

So they do care? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

In the boom as in 1995 to 2006/7 period what kind of numbers did the airport generate per annum I mean passenger numbers......?

Assuming the runway extension gets done would a daily flight to one of the London airports be viable........?

The north ‘keys’ guy goes on about the population catchment that Waterford region has something like 400,000 within an hours drive......is this sufficient to attract enough punters who would normally go to Dublin or cork for their trip to London to use a Waterford London flight....the obvious advantages being no shuttle busing, cheap parking and practically non existent q’s at check in/security.......

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    In the boom as in 1995 to 2006/7 period what kind of numbers did the airport generate per annum I mean passenger numbers......?

Assuming the runway extension gets done would a daily flight to one of the London airports be viable........?

The north ‘keys’ guy goes on about the population catchment that Waterford region has something like 400,000 within an hours drive......is this sufficient to attract enough punters who would normally go to Dublin or cork for their trip to London to use a Waterford London flight....the obvious advantages being no shuttle busing, cheap parking and practically non existent q’s at check in/security.......

Other regional airports are not viable - why especially does Waterford have to be?

The game is pork barrel politics. If other regions are getting free stuff then so should we. If you don't like the game then change the rules - but don't apply the pork barrel rule book unevenly.

Cork Airport thinks it serves the whole of south of the country:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/ourview/arid-40066004.html

Nobody does delusion better than Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Cork Airport thinks it serves the whole of south of the country:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/ourview/arid-40066004.html

Nobody does delusion better than Cork.

Can't argue with 2+million pax every year. Numbers no other regional airport can come within an arses roar of since the motorways have been completed.

• Advertisement

snotboogie wrote: »
    Can't argue with 2+million pax every year. Numbers no other regional airport can come within an arses roar of since the motorways have been completed.

We are in awe. Every house in Ireland should receive a free postcard of Cork, put it in a glass cabinet and throw sugar at it.

Advertisement