Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Update here - construction to begin in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Gardner

Excellent news

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

fricatus wrote: »
    Update here - construction to begin in summer.

Wasn't there an article in the N&S stating that we're unlikely to see any work starting in 2020? "...could begin as early as this summer..." - we've been reading that line about a lot of projects in Waterford for a long time....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭914

I believe the plan is to get the runway done this year with the view of flights starting next march/april 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

914 wrote: »
    I believe the plan is to get the runway done this year with the view of flights starting next march/april 2021

....eeeehhhh?? What flights??

• Advertisement

Masala wrote: »
    ....eeeehhhh?? What flights??

With potential flights starting in 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭dzilla

Could begin. Nothing is certain

Wasn't there an article in the N&S stating that we're unlikely to see any work starting in 2020? "...could begin as early as this summer..." - we've been reading that line about a lot of projects in Waterford for a long time....

stop it there. you didn't need to write all the rest as you should have known better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I expect plans for this runway to be proceeding at full speed until the end of the first week of February anyway.

Don't believe a word you are told about anything for the next month would be my advice. I'll believe this is a goer when the first Ryanair flight lands.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

dzilla wrote: »
    Could begin. Nothing is certain

Absolutely, sure works on the North Quays were supposed to have started by now and look where we are with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Absolutely, sure works on the North Quays were supposed to have started by now and look where we are with this.

major projects are nearly always delayed, ive faith yet on the north quays

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Muttley79

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/knock-gets-visit-from-world-s-largest-passenger-plane-1.4179894?mode=amp
    Fair play to knock airport,an airbus-380 landing there.the board management not afraid to think big.waterford airport could learn a few things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Muttley79 wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/knock-gets-visit-from-world-s-largest-passenger-plane-1.4179894?mode=amp
    Fair play to knock airport,an airbus-380 landing there.the board management not afraid to think big.waterford airport could learn a few things.

That's oversimplification to be fair muttley, anyone can think big, getting money and support in from government is another.

wont be and cant take off again though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Whole thread on it here. This was a one way journey.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058051393

Whole thread on it here. This was a one way journey.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058051393

Is that what it is...NOT thinking big with this scrapping more appropriate.

I suppose it's a business. Lengthen runway and get into the breaking business. This could be partnered by using Tramore bay to beach old bulk carriers and strip them down! Where's there's much there's brass.

Max Powers wrote: »
    That's oversimplification to be fair muttley, anyone can think big, getting money and support in from government is another.[/QUOTE,they are building a new hanger creating a big aviation hub in dissembly,repair and maintenance of aircraft which will support hundreds of jobs dissembling aircraft like this.at least the board of management in knock are out there looking for work like this helping the local economy,a lot could be said about board of management in Waterford looking for freebies from the government sitting on their arses the last number of years

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I'm not sure what your point is, what could Waterford have done here?

Really has nothing to do with Waterford.

Conor McCarthy who ran a maintenance facility in Dublin (Dublin Aerospace) is a private equity backer for WAT, so with the runway extension a goer presumably he and his fellow investors are even now developing plans.

• Advertisement

Max Powers wrote: »
    That's oversimplification to be fair muttley, anyone can think big, getting money and support in from government is another.[/QUOTE,they are building a new hanger creating a big aviation hub in dissembly,repair and maintenance of aircraft which will support hundreds of jobs dissembling aircraft like this.at least the board of management in knock are out there looking for work like this helping the local economy,a lot could be said about board of management in Waterford looking for freebies from the government sitting on their arses the last number of years

As I said, building a hangar etc....they have gotten lots of government funding in comparison to Waterford. Just recently they got govt millions to resurface their appropriate length runway.
    Is there hundreds of jobs going to be in knock dismantling aircraft, I seriously doubt that, plus environmentally, I dont know how sound scrapping aircraft is. Either way, all the thinking big won't change an unsuitable runway in Waterford airport and certainly giant planes for scrapping aren't going to be landing either.

Frisby the builder on wlr this morning.reckons this virus could be the death knell of the airport.aviation industry in tatters the big airlines under massive financial pressure the government slashing of public spending and probably won't finance regional airports anymore.frisby reckons the aviation industry will take at least four years to recover and he reckons would be as well off to be a flight school from here on.could be s massive kick in the teeth to the region as we were so close to extending the runway.

Frisby the builder on wlr this morning.reckons this virus could be the death knell of the airport.aviation industry in tatters the big airlines under massive financial pressure the government slashing of public spending and probably won't finance regional airports anymore.frisby reckons the aviation industry will take at least four years to recover and he reckons would be as well off to be a flight school from here on.could be s massive kick in the teeth to the region as we were so close to extending the runway.

We were also so close to extending the runway in 2007! 13 years later we are still talking abput being close.

The only chance we have. If one of the investor's is Dublin Aerospace then there's still a chance but getting money from the government is another discussion altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

I normally try to be an optimist but I find it almost impossible to see any of the developments we were promised to go ahead any time in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Like most things here, we get reviews, reports, examinations, plannings, appeals, applications for funding, consideration by cabinet, further review and report by consultants etc, etc,etc.,all adding up to inevitable and intended delay. We are not at their party and never were. They have a plan or plans which do not include us. Ray Griffin of WIT has written enough about it to satisfy anyone.

Fine Gael has sounded the death knell of Waterford over past ten years and will continue to do so as long as they are near the lever so power. I wish I knew why. Maybe they din't like the colour of our eyes?

Rob Cas will be on soon. 'Waterford Airport will achieve employment for 1,189,315 people in Waterford that's a 45893121% increase followed by the GDP of the region will grow at 1 giga billion million % over the next 3 hours. **** it lads where's me solar farm?

Gardner wrote:
    Rob Cas will be on soon. 'Waterford Airport will achieve employment for 1,189,315 people in Waterford that's a 45893121% increase followed by the GDP of the region will grow at 1 giga billion million % over the next 3 hours. **** it lads where's me solar farm?

Speaking of which, has he been saying much lately about the north keys?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

azimuth17 wrote: »
    Like most things here, we get reviews, reports, examinations, plannings, appeals, applications for funding, consideration by cabinet, further review and report by consultants etc, etc,etc.,all adding up to inevitable and intended delay. We are not at their party and never were. They have a plan or plans which do not include us. Ray Griffin of WIT has written enough about it to satisfy anyone.

Fine Gael has sounded the death knell of Waterford over past ten years and will continue to do so as long as they are near the lever so power. I wish I knew why. Maybe they din't like the colour of our eyes?

Think Sligo, Leitrim, Roscommon folk would have the same view of FG......despite what the ‘Blaa-ford’ people think there are many others in the same bád...!

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Think Sligo, Leitrim, Roscommon folk would have the same view of FG......despite what the ‘Blaa-ford’ people think there are many others in the same bád...!

i don't know what part of the world you are from, obviously not Waterford, but I think I would suggest that its a bit of a stretch to compare Waterford city as a regional centre with any of the three lovely counties you list

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Speaking of which, has he been saying much lately about the north keys?

Mr stats and figures on his keyboard is all about renewable green energy these days,housing and criticising the government about the south east been short changed in general.not a whiff about the north quays anymore.looks pretty dead in the water now
    1.saudis must be sick of it dragging on this length of time
    2.government has no money in the pot to commit to this anytime soon
    3.the landscape of shopping has completely changed.the big ones are closing down.Debenhams oasis to name a few.internet shopping looks to be the future

Advertisement