Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

azimuth17 wrote: »
    i don't know what part of the world you are from, obviously not Waterford, but I think I would suggest that its a bit of a stretch to compare Waterford city as a regional centre with any of the three lovely counties you list

Actually there would be quite a lot of similarities between Waterford and Sligo. Opposite ends of the country but similar with regard to their roles as regional centres, locations of institutes of technology, airports that don't have any commercial traffic etc.

I have long been highly sceptical that the runway extension at WAT would ever actually happen, but any small hope that existed has certainly been removed now by the virus. Any funding that remains for regional airports will be going towards the PSOs for Kerry and Donegal and towards trying to keep Knock in operation at a reduced scale.

With airlines massively scaling back in the shorter term due to coronavirus and given the longer term implications relating to climate change, not to mention the potential coalition government involving the Greens, there won't be any further new runway extension projects outside of Dublin, probably ever unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Probably true except that there are as many people live in and around immediate Waterford city as live in Sligo town and county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Extension gone to bord pleanala

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭curmudgeonly

Extension gone to bord pleanala

I think that is a case of premature reporting, it is a week or two from being lodged afaik

I retract my comment above Harry Palmer misread the article which I repost now.

"Waterford City & County Council in partnership with Waterford Regional Airport PLC will be applying to An Bord Pleanala in the coming weeks for the extension and widening of the runway at Waterford Regional Airport )along with associated works such as widening of the taxiway, extension to the car parking area, re-alignment of security fencing and new navigation lighting etc)."

• Advertisement

The wheels turn so slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

Mr Ross skillfully kept it waiting just long enough so he didn't have to deal with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Muttley79

What a slogan that would be for Ryanair "flying back to home" however that was different times back then last time I heard Michael o Leary talk about Waterford he said Ryanair would never fly there again.but hey he could sell it as a Dublin south airport!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Muttley79 wrote: »
    What a slogan that would be for Ryanair "flying back to home" however that was different times back then last time I heard Michael o Leary talk about Waterford he said Ryanair would never fly there again.but hey he could sell it as a Dublin south airport!!!

cant ever see them returning, their business model is far different now, in many ways, it simply wouldnt make sense for them, their pr juggernaut is doing just fine, it doesnt need a 'flying back home' project

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    cant ever see them returning, their business model is far different now, in many ways, it simply wouldnt make sense for them, their pr juggernaut is doing just fine, it doesnt need a 'flying back home' project

What we might see however is an entry to the Irish/Island of Ireland market where Ryanair, Aer Lingus and Easyjet are not competing. Would be ideal for say Wizz, Transavia or Eurowings to come in and take a crack at the market here. Of course Ryanair won't like this and will seek to run parallel services from Waterford eventually. See London Southend where Easyjet tried to get in on Ryanairs market, Easyjet are no more there.

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    What we might see however is an entry to the Irish/Island of Ireland market where Ryanair, Aer Lingus and Easyjet are not competing. Would be ideal for say Wizz, Transavia or Eurowings to come in and take a crack at the market here. Of course Ryanair won't like this and will seek to run parallel services from Waterford eventually. See London Southend where Easyjet tried to get in on Ryanairs market, Easyjet are no more there.

i do think we need to ignore the box, and try encourage what you said, but i can never see ryanair returning, theyve no need or want to, theyve moved on, london and waterford are really not comparable

Planning add in The News and Star for runway extension at last.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Muttley79

I do agree the only chance our airport has if we do get a runway extension is to get subsidiary group like iag or air France group.we need to look to EU capital cities for business.paris,Amsterdam,Berlin, brussels.they have to look further afield than relying on the British market for business.fingers crossed this gets the green light as it would be hugely beneficial to the south east region for both business and tourism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

Should have built the airport on the north quays tbh.

Waterford CITY airport. Be some class approach under the powerlines.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

If there was an airfield in Knock with a non-737 compatible runway Ryanair would probably say they wouldn't fly there either.

Ryanair fly to Knock and Kerry, both of which are in smaller population areas and both of which have airports competing with them. Kerry Airport is not too far from Cork or Shannon either.

Ryanair now have 7 routes from Kerry (London x2, Frankfurt, Berlin, Manchester, Alicante and Faro). They moved on from Waterford because of the runway but you can't rule out a return.

sweet_trip wrote:
    Waterford CITY airport. Be some class approach under the powerlines.

We d need pilots with big balls for that one

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Teebor15

Nothing built yet but another step in the right direction.

https://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/projects/airport-runway-extension/index.htm

Alot of work gone into the application by the looks of it.

Great to hear Waterford Aero club were approved to be an ATO yesterday by the IAA, they are now the only approved Training Organisation run by a club in the country.

• Advertisement

Great to hear Waterford Aero club were approved to be an ATO yesterday by the IAA, they are now the only approved Training Organisation run by a club in the country.

I'd love to get the ppl

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Teebor15 wrote: »
    Nothing built yet but another step in the right direction.

Alot of work gone into the application by the looks of it.
    Perhaps I missed something obvious which tells me, but do we know how soon the decision will be made by An Bord Pleanala?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Perhaps I missed something obvious which tells me, but do we know how soon the decision will be made by An Bord Pleanala?

Once it shows up on the website they should provide a deadline

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Deiseen wrote: »
    Once it shows up on the website they should provide a deadline

Which they will then routinely ignore.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Link to the case here: http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/307528.htm

No date up yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Fox Uniform

marno21 wrote: »
    Link to the case here: http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/307528.htm

No date up yet though.

From News and Star

All documentation is complete and has been formally lodged with An Bord Pleanála. The consultation period will continue until August 24. A CPO relating to the Airport has also been lodged with An Bord Pleanla, and both will be considered in tandem, with a decision expected in the third or fourth quarter of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Link to planning here, for 2287*45m runway plus associated lighting/drainage/works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Still waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Teebor15

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    Still waiting.

Decision due this day next week (Thu 12 Nov)

• Advertisement

Anyone know anything about the citation that just left the airport?

Advertisement