Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon discriminating Irish customers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,205 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

440Hertz wrote: »
    I’ve ordered plenty of stuff from them over since they first came into existence and I think I’ve lost maybe 1 package and that was definitely an Amazon issue in a warehouse.

Bare in mind the first appearance on the An Post tracking system you will see is when they generate a barcode. That happens before the parcel leaves the U.K. the labels are generated applied in their fulfilment centres.

The parcels then go by truck in bulk and are delivered to An Post and move from there into the delivery system.

Make sure your address is accurate, ensure your house name or number is displayed on your pillar and always use an Eircode. It genuinely does make a big difference.

I don’t know how the hell Irish people still often have a notion that

Joe Blogs
    Townland
    Co Offaly

is an address. I know one person who has a massive paranoia about Eircode and won’t use it. He’s a vague address & no house name or number displayed and he’s always moaning about couriers and package deliveries:

I’d be of the view at this stage that if you don’t provide an eircode, companies should simply refuse to accept the order as the address is far too vague.

Same here. made my first amazon order in 2002. I can count on one hand the number of orders i haven't received and i got a full refund for all of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

I ordered some items from them last week and they usually arrive in Cork either on or one day before the predicted delivery too.

Basically have never had any issue with them.

Also I installed one of the An Post delivery boxes & have found it brilliant for small packages.

I’d like one that worked for so courriers though.

I’ve found DPD just drops stuff on the doorstep when I’m not in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

I got stuff shipped to my parcel motel (proxy UK address) and it shipped in most circumstances the next day.

I ordered something else that would easily fit in my post box so I ordered via normal post to save my parcel motel credit. Weeks later, I'm still waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

I got stuff shipped to my parcel motel (proxy UK address) and it shipped in most circumstances the next day.

I ordered something else that would easily fit in my post box so I ordered via normal post to save my parcel motel credit. Weeks later, I'm still waiting.

What did chat say when you got in touch?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

I’ve found DPD just drops stuff on the doorstep when I’m not in.

its mind numbing that some people expect here for an post or couriers to go out of their way to ring em or deliver next day etc, whats wrong with leaving package on door step if your not in, actually id prefer such way like they do in the states leave it at door step.

when i walk dog in the mornings i usually observe delivery drivers and it takes 3-5 mins to get package out until someone rolls down the stairs, multiply that by 100 and no wonder theres massive delays.

Id say if likes of DPD or An post should offer say A4 or a big larger rack opening box that can easily be mounted on the side of the wall for 20quid or so for larger items to be left at, they would make good money, as atm theres few people using an post boxes and seems they arent suited well, given how many order on daily basis and often arent home, issue lies with people not looking to fix it, rather to complain that service aint good enough when they arent home is ridicilous.

• Advertisement

Unlike most of the US, we have smaller porches ans it rains 212 days a year.

So I often come back to items absolutely soaked.

Delivery ≠ throwing item on doorstep.

Also items get stolen in some areas, and this is also true in the USA. I had at least 10 items disappear in Boston because they were dumped on the porch.

I also have had a courrier unhelpfully drop a piece of sports equipment next to my shed. I didn’t get it and reported it missing and was refunded, only to discover it rusting behind the shed 8 months later!

Also had a guy put items into my recycle bin, which were only spotted by Greenstar who came running in with two packages.

None of these deliveries were An Post.

scamalert wrote: »
    its mind numbing that some people expect here for an post or couriers to go out of their way to ring em or deliver next day etc, whats wrong with leaving package on door step if your not in, actually id prefer such way like they do in the states leave it at door step.

when i walk dog in the mornings i usually observe delivery drivers and it takes 3-5 mins to get package out until someone rolls down the stairs, multiply that by 100 and no wonder theres massive delays.

Id say if likes of DPD or An post should offer say A4 or a big larger rack box that can easily be mounted on the side of the wall for 20quid or so, they would make good money, as atm theres few people using an post boxes and seems they arent suited well, given how many order on daily basis and often arent home, issue lies with people not looking to fix it, rather to complain that service aint good enough when they arent home is ridicilous.

an post already do provide such a box.

an post already do provide such a box.

Which not everything fits in.

It's only 30 cm X 47.6 cm X 20 cm

hots wrote: »
    What did chat say when you got in touch?

Chat with whom?

It's definitely an issue. It's not An Post, it's Amazon that are the offenders.

Regardless of the mode of delivery, when an item is ordered to a UK address it more often than not gets dispatched almost instantaneously, whereas items bound for an Irish address are only dispatched days (sometimes weeks) later.

God help you if your parcel ends up in the depot.
    Monday to Friday opening, closed for lunch, shut at 4, no weekend opening.

You'd think something like that would rotate staff to ensure evening and weekend cover.

• Advertisement

If the volume of packages is going to be a feature of life more and more, we need parcel boxes that work for all packages.

I mean we don’t deliver letters by flinging them over the hedge or stuffing them into random places, we developed the letter box in the 19th century.

The industry (globally not just here) needs to get a bit realistic about coming up with standard that allow for delivery to a box in your garden with proper rainproofing and security.

Or, a shared system of bigger lockers that can be used by multiple couriers, not different ones for different companies.

The An Post box is definitely too small. It’s more of a mailbox than a parcel box and should have a bigger portion. Lots of people have the space.

If the volume of packages is going to be a feature of life more and more, we need parcel boxes that work for all packages.

I mean we don’t deliver letters by flinging them over the hedge or stuffing them into random places, we developed the letter box in the 19th century.

The industry (globally not just here) needs to get a bit realistic about coming up with standard that allow for delivery to a box in your garden with proper rainproofing and security.

Or, a shared system of bigger lockers that can be used by multiple couriers, not different ones for different companies.

The An Post box is definitely too small. It’s more of a mailbox than a parcel box and should have a bigger portion. Lots of people have the space.
    very true, and options exist but most of them look ugly as fck and others cost well over 100 quid, so prob easier to get likes of ring doorbell or whatever at that price. As yes well aware of thefts in US, but like you state seems direction were going has a gap at a current market for customers needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I didn't read the entire thread so apologies if this has been mentioned already. I noticed the same issue with Amazon UK so I usually buy through the German site now. They usually dispatch within a day or two, and shipping doesn't take longer than from the UK.

miezekatze wrote: »
    I didn't read the entire thread so apologies if this has been mentioned already. I noticed the same issue with Amazon UK so I usually buy through the German site now. They usually dispatch within a day or two, and shipping doesn't take longer than from the UK.

what are the shipping times like from germany?

Just a few days usually. I ordered 2 things on October 20, standard delivery, one was dispatched on the 21st, the other on the 22nd. Received one item on the 24th and the other on the 25th (yes, it arrived on a Sunday).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

ordered a few records from germany the weekend before last, they are still awaiting shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭VG31

miezekatze wrote: »

My last two orders on Amazon.de took 3 and 4 days to dispatch. That was standard delivery, maybe it's quicker with priority delivery.

Delivery typically takes about 3 to 4 days so slower than Amazon UK.

VG31 wrote: »
    My last two orders on Amazon.de took 3 and 4 days to dispatch. That was standard delivery, maybe it's quicker with priority delivery.

Delivery typically takes about 3 to 4 days so slower than Amazon UK.

My Amazon UK orders usually take about a week to be dispatched, but it varies a lot. I've never waited that long with a German order. I always use standard delivery.

im waiting on delivery from amazon spain, and its overdue by few days ordered on 23-24th, even paid couple euro extra to get it on date, but seems issue with general mail being slow atm, as looking at tracking it doesnt seem to go very fast between countries.As at least from Spain seems its sent to GB, and not directly here. Interestingly also had few items that were ordered from Germany amazon, yet were delivered from UK amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Chat with whom?

It's definitely an issue. It's not An Post, it's Amazon that are the offenders.

Regardless of the mode of delivery, when an item is ordered to a UK address it more often than not gets dispatched almost instantaneously, whereas items bound for an Irish address are only dispatched days (sometimes weeks) later.

Amazon support chat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Two of my three items arrived today, a day late.

Third item still unaccounted for having left Merseyside.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SungSam7

Two of my three items arrived today, a day late.

Did they update An Post tracking for the 2 that did arrive? Were they ordered all at the same time too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I have one for the last 2 years.
    Ive gone from having to visit the post office at least once a week before then, to visiting the post office zero times since getting the delivery box.

An order from last thursday arrived today. It was only shipped yesterday and was scheduled for delivery until tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,288 ✭✭✭positron

It would be interesting to see how Amazon handles PS5 pre-orders. They usually ship pre-orders to arrive on the release day, don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Must be on the same truck as mine, was originally scheduled to be delivered today, or before, but no updates on the tracker since leaving Merseyside other than to say it's now tomorrow.

It's being delivered by An Post though, and I had another delivery with them today from elsewhere and the An Post tracker wasn't really up to date, it didn't update that it was out for delivery today and I didn't get the normal text message about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

Something is definitely up again - have something ordered on the 24th Of October - was shipped on the 30th - and is now well overdue - theres an an post reference number that isn't coming up on the An Post website

Have another order that was made on the 29th that seems to have disappeared into the ether too

In the meanwhile have done a couple of orders that have arrived.

All from Amazon.co.uk - wonderfully inconsistent service here.

Something is definitely up again - have something ordered on the 24th Of October - was shipped on the 30th - and is now well overdue - theres an an post reference number that isn't coming up on the An Post website

Have another order that was made on the 29th that seems to have disappeared into the ether too

In the meanwhile have done a couple of orders that have arrived.

All from Amazon.co.uk - wonderfully inconsistent service here.

What kind of order was it, I have a room mate that ordered pencils and are after entering the system but I have an android system which would be an average sized box still waiting even though it was sent over before his order was even place.

He got the text to say his will be out for delivery in the next 3 working days. I was on call with An Post earlier and they are not taking blame saying that it must not be in the country until I called her out saying it doesn't take Amazon nearly a week to go from Liverpool to Dublin. She backtracked and said An Post are currently at Christmas like levels and stuff could take as nearly as 2 weeks to be delivered!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,039 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

SungSam7 wrote: »
    She backtracked and said An Post are currently at Christmas like levels and stuff could take as nearly as 2 weeks to be delivered!

I got a package from Kildare yesterday, posted last Tuesday. I got another order from the same business, posted yesterday, today.

Amazon orders are all over the place in terms of timing and delivery service. I'd rather wait a week for one via An Post than get one in 48 hours delivered by Amazon, given the issues I've had with them to date.

• Advertisement

Caranica wrote: »
    I got a package from Kildare yesterday, posted last Tuesday. I got another order from the same business, posted yesterday, today.

Amazon orders are all over the place in terms of timing and delivery service. I'd rather wait a week for one via An Post than get one in 48 hours delivered by Amazon, given the issues I've had with them to date.

I'm failing to see your point here? Amazon have done their bit, they've got the package out to the country it is meant to go, now it's an Post to take over and they havent processed what seems to be a truck of packages as at least 2 maybe 3 on boards alone have complained they haven't heard nothing since leaving Merseyside last Thursday night.

Advertisement