Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon discriminating Irish customers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

Earlier in the year in the busy times we had some prime stuff ship from fulfilment centres in Italy to the uk one and then onto us (it added about a day to the delivery), so i'd imagine they will just cut out the middle (uk) one and ship directly to us, or ship to an Irish fulfilment centre to then ship to us.

either way it'll be interesting to see how it goes, while we are a small market to Amazon going by on here and anecdotal evidence we Irish keep them very busy.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Having some issues the last few days. Was supposed to have a delivery Friday. Issued tracking number for it with An post but they had no records of it. No text from them like a I normally has. Friday came and went and the notification on amazon changed from Delivery Friday to “sorry it’s running late, delivery now Monday 2nd” from the tracking on Amazon sides it looks like it departed Merseyside but never arrived in Ireland.

An Post still don’t have tracking available or tracking for the other two items due today. Should be an interesting few days.

Not sure what’s going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Zhane wrote: »
    Having some issues the last few days. Was supposed to have a delivery Friday. Issued tracking number for it with An post but they had no records of it. No text from them like a I normally has. Friday came and went and the notification on amazon changed from Delivery Friday to “sorry it’s running late, delivery now Monday 2nd” from the tracking on Amazon sides it looks like it departed Merseyside but never arrived in Ireland.

An Post still don’t have tracking available or tracking for the other two items due today. Should be an interesting few days.

I have exactly the same issue. It's due today, and the app still says that. But the tracking shows it left St Helens on Thursday night and no updates since. An Post doesn't recognise the number.

Had another parcel ordered afterwards delivered by Amazon yesterday.

I have exactly the same issue. It's due today, and the app still says that. But the tracking shows it left St Helens on Thursday night and no updates since. An Post doesn't recognise the number.

Hope I don’t sound rude but Im glad you’re the same and I’m not the only one! Haha.

I’ll give them to today and see what happens and chat them later for it. The message for the Friday delivery said that I can request a refund from tomorrow...is this their way of saying it won’t be delivered?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Xenji wrote: »
    Both items are the same and released today, the PM one will arrive tomorrow, the Irish one has a delivery date for the end of the month and the price went up by around 1.50 pounds when changed to an Irish address.

VAT difference presumably, I had a Lego set go from 94.99 to 99.00 on amazon.de when Irish VAT was applied at the checkout. Delivery €10. Still cheaper than UK amazon...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭scottigael

positron wrote: »
    I guess it's going to get worse from here on with Amazon:

http://www.businessmole.com/amazon-is-pulling-the-plug-early-on-christmas-2020-says-parcelhero/

I am guessing we are going to get shafted the most here in Ireland with all of this, if we have to get all our stuff from Amazon.de / Amazon.fr etc and the parcels have to be fulfilled from centers in these countries. Deliveries will be weather dependent if we are a remote island off the EU mainland (rather than an island near the UK mainland).

Hopefully there's a soft brexit free trade deal and we aren't too affected, likely to be a last minute thing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SungSam7

I have the exact same issue as you, the last time I heard about my package on the app was that it departed Saint Helens at 10:59 Thursday night. Due today, yeah like that's happening now...
    An Post don't have the number in their system either. Customer Care aren't any use other than telling me to wait till Thursday, that they will be nice enough to issue me a refund. So kind of them!

Just to give an update on this. The two delivery that were scheduled for today have now been updated and able to be tracked by AnPost. Seems they landed in Dublin around 1:30pm this afternoon. Won't be getting them tonight.

The delivery from Friday is still not trackable -but thats the one I really need right now haha.

Just to give an update on this. The two delivery that were scheduled for today have now been updated and able to be tracked by AnPost. Seems they landed in Dublin around 1:30pm this afternoon. Won't be getting them tonight.

The delivery from Friday is still not trackable -but thats the one I really need right now haha.

Jesus, Boeing and Airbus would want to find out what is behind these mysterious planes Amazon use to say they can stay in the sky for over 4 days.
    Somehow feel its An Post who are the issue here and not Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭VG31

SungSam7 wrote: »
    Jesus, Boeing and Airbus would want to find out what is behind these mysterious planes Amazon use to say they can stay in the sky for over 4 days.
    Somehow feel its An Post who are the issue here and not Amazon.

Amazon parcels come from the UK by truck not plane.

Amazon orders are usually scanned by An Post within 10-18 hours after leaving the UK. My last Amazon order that came with An Post took 60 hours to reach the Dublin Parcel Hub after leaving St Helens, Merseyside.

I agree, the problem appears to be An Post. All my Amazon Logistics orders have taken the usual ~12 hours to get to Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

I just popped onto Amazon chat there to see if they could explain the delay in delivery to Ireland.

The chat bot informed me on my latest order that I picked free standard delivery at the checkout and this means 3-5 business days after despatch.
    I had no other option (even though it was 1 day delivery to UK had I chosen that).

The CS on chat had me try a few items to see what options were available, no Prime tick on any delivery using an Irish address, but tried UK (prime tick), Northern Ireland (prime tick) and even a random Finland address (prime tick).

Prime ticks = 1-2 days
    Non-Prime ticks = 6+ days

Could not find a single item that delivers to Ireland before next Monday, so the CS guy said not much point in me keeping Prime if its just used for deliveries :eek:

Also checked standard delivery to a non-Prime customer to Ireland and it was next Tuesday.

They are back to what they were at last March to May, at least for me anyway.

VG31 wrote: »
    Amazon parcels come from the UK by truck not plane.

Amazon orders are usually scanned by An Post within 10-18 hours after leaving the UK. My last Amazon order that came with An Post took 60 hours to reach the Dublin Parcel Hub after leaving St Helens, Merseyside.

I agree, the problem appears to be An Post. All my Amazon Logistics orders have taken the usual ~12 hours to get to Dublin.

I was under the assumption they were by plane, you learn something new every day 😂.

How long ago was this last order?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

donnyvegas wrote: »
    Ok.

So I know COVID is affecting many business and disrupting many supply chains etc. Amazon even said they are prioritising essential products and others will be delayed. Fair enough. I am signed up to Prime and my 2 day delivery can wait.

Last week I ordered some multivitamins. Expected delivery to Ireland - June 2nd. Not essential I guess and the 2 week delivery, I assumed Amazon warehouse are flat out. Fair enough.

Out of sheer curiosity, I checked to see how long it would take to send to DPD parcel wizard in the north. 2 days - oh. Then I check AddressPal in the UK, next day delivery.

I contacted Amazon to see what went wrong - they said the problem is on the delivery to Ireland. We are now 8 days following my order, and it has yet to even dispatch. If An Post don’t receive the product, how can they deliver?

The problem is clearly Amazon prioritising their UK customers over Irish.

Anyone have any insight on this? Or experienced this themselves? Who do you even report this to?

If you want to use Amazon, then only do it with Parcel Motel. I never lost anything ordered to their UK address.

If you ask me I think it's An Post guys stealing. It's not only Amazon but Ebay also. It's always the very last stage of tracking.

I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon would throttle addresses in Ireland, it's a much riskier region.

If they would be serious about Ireland then you would have Amazon warehouses. There are none as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭VG31

SungSam7 wrote: »
    How long ago was this last order?

My last order sent with An Post was just over a week ago.
    If you ask me I think it's An Post guys stealing. It's not only Amazon but Ebay also. It's always the very last stage of tracking.

I haven't been impressed with An Post's service since August but they've never lost anything on me as far as I can tell. It seems a bit much to accuse them of stealing.

VG31 wrote: »
    I haven't been impressed with An Post's service since August but they've never lost anything on me as far as I can tell. It seems a bit much to accuse them of stealing.

I base this on the fact that only items of value get lost. So you order a toilet plunger and it will get delivered in one piece but if you try getting say a shortwave radio or a phone then it will not arrive.

You would think if there's a huge backlog of mail they would deliver it eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

In better news my camping chair finally shipped.

Arriving Monday
    Ordered Saturday, 24 October
    Dispatched Thursday, 29 October
    See all updates

Five days to dispatch it to Ireland, with same day dispatch and next day delivery for GB.

This, and my two other orders (which took days to ship) have not shown up today. Three emails to say packages may be delayed. Two of them have been registered in Ireland since Sat/Sun.

God knows whats going on, but its bad form from Amazon and I think I'll have a good whinge at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I base this on the fact that only items of value get lost. So you order a toilet plunger and it will get delivered in one piece but if you try getting say a shortwave radio or a phone then it will not arrive.

You would think if there's a huge backlog of mail they would deliver it eventually.

Bought a Garmin Fenix 5s in Sept and the wife bought a redmi phone in the Prime sale.
    Both delivered by An Post.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Bought a Garmin Fenix 5s in Sept and the wife bought a redmi phone in the Prime sale.
    Both delivered by An Post.

It's possible that the problem is specific to my local post office.

Once I went there to the collection area and the guy couldn't find the parcel even though I had the docket. I came back an hour later and another guy found it under the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

If you want to use Amazon, then only do it with Parcel Motel. I never lost anything ordered to their UK address.

I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon would throttle addresses in Ireland, it's a much riskier region.

If they would be serious about Ireland then you would have Amazon warehouses. There are none as far as I know.

That's a bizarre and libellous accusation. I've used Amazon regularly since about 1998 and only one delivery via An Post has every been lost (and it was of very low value).
    You can rest assured Amazon aren't making decisions based on your lost items. If you have items going missing report it to your local Post Office.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    That's a bizarre and libellous accusation. I've used Amazon regularly since about 1998 and only one delivery via An Post has every been lost (and it was of very low value).
    You can rest assured Amazon aren't making decisions based on your lost items. If you have items going missing report it to your local Post Office.
    They can sue me then. They keep losing my stuff and don't accept tracking information + invoice as evidence. And it's not specific to me, I saw a local guy outside recently that was really pissed off.

If you're a seller on Amazon or Ebay and your parcels get lost in Ireland then you're not going to allow shipping to that country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

If you're a seller on Amazon or Ebay and your parcels get lost in Ireland then you're not going to allow shipping to that country.

I think you'll find that conspiracy theory doesn't hold water, as they do ship to Ireland. Plus, you'll find lost packages are a feature in most jurisdictions - indeed in the US Postal Service they are an endemic way of life. In the UK it's estimated that 20 million pieces of mail fail to be delivered each year .

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I think you'll find that conspiracy theory doesn't hold water, as they do ship to Ireland. Plus, you'll find lost packages are a feature in most jurisdictions - indeed in the US Postal Service they are an endemic way of life. In the UK it's estimated that 20 million pieces of mail fail to be delivered each year .

I think Ireland in the eyes of the seller is in the same situation as say Puerto Rico compared to mainland US. You need to set a higher postal rate etc. so most sellers don't want to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,069 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you want to develop conspiracy theories about your local post delivery staff, there's a forum for that, but I doubt they'd care. You can stop it here

L1011 wrote: »
    If you want to develop conspiracy theories about your local post delivery staff, there's a forum for that, but I doubt they'd care. You can stop it here

Blah blah, call it what you want. Stealing or not it's still 300€ of stuff missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,069 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Blah blah, call it what you want. Stealing or not it's still 300€ of stuff missing.

Do not reply to moderation on thread. Actually, don't bother replying in this thread again - your posts are valueless

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I want to go back to An Post deliveries.
    Either that or Amazon offer a delivery box.
    Thats 2 days in a row now that Amazon deliveries have been just left on the doorstep.
    Yesterday it was raining. They never even rang the doorbell today and I was in.
    Not really impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I want to go back to An Post deliveries.
    Either that or Amazon offer a delivery box.
    Thats 2 days in a row now that Amazon deliveries have been just left on the doorstep.
    Yesterday it was raining. They never even rang the doorbell today and I was in.
    Not really impressed.

give them feedback and they might correct that behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

give them feedback and they might correct that behaviour.

I would, but there is no option for "Package was left outside on the doorstep".

• Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I would, but there is no option for "Package was left outside on the doorstep".

talk to customer service then. I did that last friday when i had a package that was marked as delivered when it wasn't. Talked to customer service for a few minutes and the problem was resolved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

I’ve ordered plenty of stuff from them over since they first came into existence and I think I’ve lost maybe 1 package and that was definitely an Amazon issue in a warehouse.

Bare in mind the first appearance on the An Post tracking system you will see is when they generate a barcode. That happens before the parcel leaves the U.K. the labels are generated applied in their fulfilment centres.

The parcels then go by truck in bulk and are delivered to An Post and move from there into the delivery system.

Make sure your address is accurate, ensure your house name or number is displayed on your pillar and always use an Eircode. It genuinely does make a big difference.

I don’t know how the hell Irish people still often have a notion that

Joe Blogs
    Townland
    Co Offaly

is an address. I know one person who has a massive paranoia about Eircode and won’t use it. He’s a vague address & no house name or number displayed and he’s always moaning about couriers and package deliveries:

I’d be of the view at this stage that if you don’t provide an eircode, companies should simply refuse to accept the order as the address is far too vague.

Advertisement