Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon discriminating Irish customers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

But they're still delivering in that frame. I ordered something on Friday, due next Friday but out for delivery today. Had a similar experience during the week too, definitely 2 day delivery even if standard delivery was the only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Yes true, but stuff is also not getting dispatched as fast.

I ordered batteries on the 18th, they weren't even dispatched until the 20th. Latest update has a delivery date of the 27th. If I ordered it today and got it sent to NI, it'll be delivered on the 28th. Order it today and get it sent to GB it'll be there on the 27th.

Edit: Oh and if I ordered those batteries again today for delivery to ROI, they quote the 2nd November as delivery date.

Massive disparity again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

Surely it’s down to the delivery chain to ROI having a certain capacity, therefore big demand = delivery chain is over max capacity and there’s a backlog. There are a limited number of trucks and ferries traveling between here and the UK after all. From personal experience I can see many friends and neighbors who never used Amazon before start to use them when the first lockdown happened. I’ve also seen into the back of the an post van a few times and it’s predominantly Amazon parcels in the back.

I doubt very much Amazon are somehow holding back on shipping ROI goods for any other reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

There is something strange going on, earlier everything I picked was saying delivery next Monday 2nd (whether it was Prime or non-Prime account) but now they are all saying Thursday 29th.

Non-Prime is now showing Nov 2nd or with the fastest delivery Thursday 29th

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Orebro wrote: »
    Surely it’s down to the delivery chain to ROI having a certain capacity, therefore big demand = delivery chain is over max capacity and there’s a backlog. There are a limited number of trucks and ferries traveling between here and the UK after all. From personal experience I can see many friends and neighbors who never used Amazon before start to use them when the first lockdown happened. I’ve also seen into the back of the an post van a few times and it’s predominantly Amazon parcels in the back.

I doubt very much Amazon are somehow holding back on shipping ROI goods for any other reason.

During the first lockdown they were holding back because they were prioritising UK orders over Irish orders. There were massive discrepancies between delivery dates for Irish and UK orders. Discrepancies that could not be explained by transit times. Irish orders were sitting there for a week before they were shipped. The actual transit time was the normal 2-3 days. UK orders were being shipped the same or next day after ordering.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

During the first lockdown they were holding back because they were prioritising UK orders over Irish orders. There were massive discrepancies between delivery dates for Irish and UK orders. Discrepancies that could not be explained by transit times. Irish orders were sitting there for a week before they were shipped. The actual transit time was the normal 2-3 days. UK orders were being shipped the same or next day after ordering.

Lack of capacity to actually get the Irish orders across the Irish Sea and in to An Post easily explain that.

Amazon would have a contracted amount of capacity which they vastly exceeded and it was far from cheap to get extra cargo capacity back then. Less of an issue now

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

L1011 wrote: »
    Lack of capacity to actually get the Irish orders across the Irish Sea and in to An Post easily explain that.

Amazon would have a contracted amount of capacity which they vastly exceeded and it was far from cheap to get extra cargo capacity back then. Less of an issue now

If that was the case it would only affect some irish orders, those that exceeded the capacity for the day. It was happening to all irish orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Ordered a few items recently, noticed the tracking numbers were different - all prefixed with "GA" instead of the usual An Post tracking number. One delivery arrived yesterday (bank holiday Monday).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

JDxtra wrote: »
    Ordered a few items recently, noticed the tracking numbers were different - all prefixed with "GA" instead of the usual An Post tracking number. One delivery arrived yesterday (bank holiday Monday).

Amazons own delivery crowd now by the looks of it, not very good either - packages abandoned at doors at the wrong address.

You can track them now on the App like a Dominos order.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If that was the case it would only affect some irish orders, those that exceeded the capacity for the day. It was happening to all irish orders.

No, they're all stacked and released in order; not a day by day capacity.

That option would be a hideous mess and the overload would never, ever get delived.

• Advertisement

DrZeuss wrote: »
    There is something strange going on, earlier everything I picked was saying delivery next Monday 2nd (whether it was Prime or non-Prime account) but now they are all saying Thursday 29th.

Non-Prime is now showing Nov 2nd or with the fastest delivery Thursday 29th

I ordered a screw set this morning on Prime, Nov 2nd again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭VG31

The delivery dates keep changing throughout the day. If you order now most items have a delivery date of Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

van_beano wrote: »
    Amazons own delivery crowd now by the looks of it, not very good either - packages abandoned at doors at the wrong address.

Not my experience at all - I had 2 packages delivered yesterday (bank hol Monday) while I was out working in the back garden, and didn't hear the doorbell. The driver rang to let me know he was outside. That being said, they're only up and running with their own deliveries a week or two, and you get the opportunity to give feedback when they deliver, so make sure you do - amazon are legendary when it comes to customer service.

As it happens those items were ordered late on Saturday evening, so overall less than 2 day delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I've had two GA deliveries not turn up on the day they should have, so annoying when it's a 12 hour delivery slot. One turned up next day, one never did. Today's delivery I couldn't see on the map, got a notification that driver was 3 stops away but no map when I went into tracking. I hate when I see Amazon delivery on an order.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I think we'll just have to accept that as Covid increases so too will delays. Warehouse staff will have to be distanced and will get ill and cause staff shortages. Something will have to give somewhere.

Just got another Amazon order (ordered last Thursday, standard free delivery). Tracked it on the map down from 7 stops away. Worked very well, was able to make sure the kids weren't around in case they spotted it and started asking what was in the box!

Could never fault An Post though either.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

I think we'll just have to accept that as Covid increases so too will delays. Warehouse staff will have to be distanced and will get ill and cause staff shortages. Something will have to give somewhere.

I think the main issue is often there is no delay if you place an order to a UK address like parcel motel.
    It seems amazon are capable of getting orders out the door quickly enough for UK delivery’s but are slower for Irish customers

Last week I was looking at an item that was going to take an extra 4 days to get to Repiblic of ireland compared to my parcel motel address an post tends to add an extra day but definitely not 4 days presumably the extra days are amazon not prioritizing certain delivery’s however this week it seems to be better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

On a side note, does anybody know how I am supposed to work out waist & leg size when buying jeans on amazon and they only give one number when selecting size?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

begbysback wrote: »
    On a side note, does anybody know how I am supposed to work out waist & leg size when buying jeans on amazon and they only give one number when selecting size?

There is usually a size guide on clothing items to help with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

JDxtra wrote: »
    Just got another Amazon order (ordered last Thursday, standard free delivery). Tracked it on the map down from 7 stops away. Worked very well, was able to make sure the kids weren't around in case they spotted it and started asking what was in the box!

Could never fault An Post though either.

Forgive my stupidity, but how do you track on a map?

All I get when I track packages is a list of - Order, Dispatched, Out for delivery, Arriving.

Agree about An Post, very reliable.

• Advertisement

Forgive my stupidity, but how do you track on a map?

All I get when I track packages is a list of - Order, Dispatched, Out for delivery, Arriving.

Agree about An Post, very reliable.

It seems when they are close, it'll automatically appear on the app when you track the parcel. Earlier today for me it said the same with no map visible, until maybe 30 minutes before the scheduled drop (could have been longer, did not check).

I ordered a screw set this morning on Prime, Nov 2nd again.
    VG31 wrote: »
    The delivery dates keep changing throughout the day. If you order now most items have a delivery date of Friday.

Yep, Prime and non-Prime delivery to Ireland is the same day 2nd November again.
    Prime to NI is 29th Oct
    Prime to AddressPal UK tomorrow

Time to drop Prime again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I thought id love when Amazon started delivering themselves.
    But big problem.
    We have an an post delivery box, which is great for ordering things and you dont have to be home or answer the door.
    But now that its amazon delivering, they cant use the delivery box, so you have to be in. Thats a pain.
    Not a problem while people are working from home, but it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The obvious answer would be to give a choice to use AnPost when you order. Couriers are a disaster for me & I avoid them.

In better news my camping chair finally shipped.

Arriving Monday
    Ordered Saturday, 24 October
    Dispatched Thursday, 29 October
    See all updates

Five days to dispatch it to Ireland, with same day dispatch and next day delivery for GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭VG31

I placed three orders, one yesterday and two the day before, all with a delivery date of Wednesday. They were all shipped together today and are supposed to be arriving tomorow.

Placed an order there today, Prime free delivery next Thursday.

If I picked mainland UK address it would be delivered tomorrow and an NI address it would be delivered Monday.

So for Ireland it looks like they won't process it until next Tuesday or Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

I guess it's going to get worse from here on with Amazon:

http://www.businessmole.com/amazon-is-pulling-the-plug-early-on-christmas-2020-says-parcelhero/
    As Brexit looms, Amazon is starting the process of separating UK and EU sales from 14 November. UK shoppers buying gifts from EU sites and British traders selling to Europe face potential increased costs and confusion, warns the international shipping expert ParcelHero.

I am guessing we are going to get shafted the most here in Ireland with all of this, if we have to get all our stuff from Amazon.de / Amazon.fr etc and the parcels have to be fulfilled from centers in these countries. Deliveries will be weather dependent if we are a remote island off the EU mainland (rather than an island near the UK mainland).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Just as an experiment as I always use parcel motel but talk of a new fulfilment center here has piqued my interest.

Both items are the same and released today, the PM one will arrive tomorrow, the Irish one has a delivery date for the end of the month and the price went up by around 1.50 pounds when changed to an Irish address.

I think I will be sticking with the PM route.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭WhenPigsCry

I placed one order for a Prime eligible item last week and only Standard Delivery was available.
    positron wrote: »
    I guess it's going to get worse from here on with Amazon:

http://www.businessmole.com/amazon-is-pulling-the-plug-early-on-christmas-2020-says-parcelhero/

I am guessing we are going to get shafted the most here in Ireland with all of this, if we have to get all our stuff from Amazon.de / Amazon.fr etc and the parcels have to be fulfilled from centers in these countries. Deliveries will be weather dependent if we are a remote island off the EU mainland (rather than an island near the UK mainland).

There are 40 fulfilment centres in Europe; 17 in the UK. It will surely be worth Amazon's while to open 1 in Ireland post-Brexit. It was reportedly still seeking additional warehouse space aside from what it acquired this year https://www.echo.ie/show/article/amazon-leases-its-first-e-commerce-warehouse. It will be tough for it to retain Irish Prime subscriptions and compete in areas like book sales against local online offerings if it starts shipping everything from France or Germany.

Advertisement