Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon discriminating Irish customers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

I ordered 3 items this morning at 7:30, just got a notification that they'll be delivered tomorrow by amazon.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

So further to my experiment of ordering two of the same item and using both PM and sending it to my home address, I now have the PM item and the same item being sent to my home address has yet to be even dispatched and now is stating delivery on the 15th of November.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SungSam7

Xenji wrote: »
    So further to my experiment of ordering two of the same item and using both PM and sending it to my home address, I now have the PM item and the same item being sent to my home address has yet to be even dispatched and now is stating delivery on the 15th of November.

How big were the items? When did you place the orders too? I'm thinking of getting a refund tomorrow and getting my android system for the car sent through PM instead as An Post have nearly a week to process the item.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Have ordered a few things this week, says delivery in a week which is **** for prime but they end up arriving in 2 days.

Something electric, a book, a screwdriver and a set of swimming goggles....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

SungSam7 wrote: »
    How big were the items? When did you place the orders too? I'm thinking of getting a refund tomorrow and getting my android system for the car sent through PM instead as An Post have nearly a week to process the item.

Both were the same book as I can give the other to my grandfather, both were were pre orders and released on Monday and there is no stock issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Try and shop local.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Try and shop local.

Not quite to point of the thread but...It's easier said than done at the moment. I only buy online when I can't source locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Order pushed out again with a refund option as it's still in the ether and no sign of it within An Post. Must be a container load parked up and waiting for processing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

Anybody seriously expecting Amazon UK, non EU country, to keep serving customers in Ireland, a foreign EU country, on the same terms as the customers in the UK?

Not a chance post-Brexit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

Amazon’s just seeing Brexit as a pain in the rear. They’ll simply serve Ireland out of EU supply chain. It’s going to cause problems for their U.K. operation generally as a signifiant % of their stock is coming from the EU.

Serving the Irish market isn’t very challenging, as it remains in the EU. The U.K. just potentially becomes a lot more isolated.

Amazon is currently running TV ads, with Irish accents on Irish (or Irish ad carrying) tv channels. So they obviously see a signifiant market here to be chased.

At present we don’t know what shape Brexit will take. Trump no longer being in the White House in January is likely to dramatically change things too.

So I would suspect Amazon is just, like the rest of us, keeping a few options open - and has lots, compared to bricks and mortar retail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

McGiver wrote:
    Anybody seriously expecting Amazon UK, non EU country, to keep serving customers in Ireland, a foreign EU country, on the same terms as the customers in the UK?

Not a chance post-Brexit.

That doesn't fit in with the fact that Amazon have started to do their own deliveries now. I used to receive all packages via an post, but last bank holiday weekend I got Amazon own deliveries both on Sunday and Monday.

Didn't sound like the strategy of a company going to abandon us.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Order pushed out again with a refund option as it's still in the ether and no sign of it within An Post. Must be a container load parked up and waiting for processing.

Did you last hear from it last Thursday leaving Merseyside? That was the last time I heard about mine anyway. Can I ask what size of item you ordered? Mine would be the size of a radio for a car so maybe the size is holding it up or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Did you last hear from it last Thursday leaving Merseyside? That was the last time I heard about mine anyway. Can I ask what size of item you ordered? Mine would be the size of a radio for a car so maybe the size is holding it up or something.

I have quite a large box that has gone missing

I have quite a large box that has gone missing

When did you last get an update?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I haven't heard anything about my order since it left on Thursday night. It'd be a small packet - a few charging cables.

I haven't heard anything about my order since it left on Thursday night. It'd be a small packet - a few charging cables.

I ordered small camera for a raspberry pi yesterday, it departed Merseyside this morning at 3:02 AM. If it is processed before that shipment on Thursday, then I am going to be asking questions with An Post as why this certain shipment is being ignored or left there!

Monday around 4am was the last update on it when it left Merseyside. Around the same time I ordered a bunch of other stuff which all had come via Amazon delivery.

This package contains 2 items, each about the size of a shoe box I'd say so the box would be big enough, bigger than anything Amazon directly delivered anyway.

Monday around 4am was the last update on it when it left Merseyside. Around the same time I ordered a bunch of other stuff which all had come via Amazon delivery.

This package contains 2 items, each about the size of a shoe box I'd say so the box would be big enough, bigger than anything Amazon directly delivered anyway.

I don't know so, the theory behind it being a decent size package that they are doing smaller and easier ones first maybe me coming up with excuses. Considering one person here is saying that they are waiting on charging cables.... If I haven't heard about mine since Thursday last week, what chance have you got really? It would make life easier if amazon marked the the containership with an ID number and you could collect it from where An Post receives it if you needed it.

I think An Post may be snowed under with the avalanche of online buying for Christmas coming a bit earlier than they expected due to the lockdown and they're not prioritising Amazon's shipments. I did receive a package from An Post from someone else this week sent within Ireland and received it earlier than expected, but their tracking wasn't shown it as out for delivery and I didn't get the usual text message about it.

I think An Post may be snowed under with the avalanche of online buying for Christmas coming a bit earlier than they expected due to the lockdown and they're not prioritising Amazon's shipments. I did receive a package from An Post from someone else this week sent within Ireland and received it earlier than expected, but their tracking wasn't shown it as out for delivery and I didn't get the usual text message about it.

Yeah the girlfriend ordered on Easons Sunday and they arrived today, no message or anything to say it was out for delivery and also it never even said it left Dublin 12.

• Advertisement

Just found this from another user (Darc19) in the Courier Thread, hopefully shines some light on our deliveries.

"We use an post in work (and dpd and ups)

Email from an post yesterday, Cork city and surrounding areas experiencing 4-5 day delay, rest of country 3 day delay.

Additional capacity brought forward and in force since Monday.

7 day parcel delivery in urban areas. 6 day delivery all areas.

Specific delay from last week to be cleared by Thursday (tomorrow)

Today we got email from dpd, again huge volume causing delays. Allow up to three additional days to normal timeframes. And as per an post claiming huge additional investment."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

That doesn't fit in with the fact that Amazon have started to do their own deliveries now. I used to receive all packages via an post, but last bank holiday weekend I got Amazon own deliveries both on Sunday and Monday.

Do you seriously expect Amazon UK to serve RoI from the Amazon.co.uk?

Different VAT regime, outside of the Customs Union, outside of the Single Market.

Unless you expect Amazon.ie then yeah. Given that Denmark, Norway, Finland and Sweden, don't have their own Amazon website, I think it's unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Ive a package that was due to be deliver monday leaving Merseyside and never arrived. Must be some thing very wrong there.

My Sis sent a package 3 weeks ago to my house via amazon and still not arrived.

If you look at the An Post twitter account there's delays across the network. Mine is still missing, but it seems like the package may just appear without the tracker being updated, or updated later, which I experienced earlier this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

Amazon are amongst the best companies ive ever purchased from online, anytime ive had any returns it's been flawless, sometimes they'll refund you even before they receive back the item, sometimes they even said to keep the item and issued a refund, customer service is quick and instant, for all the stick they get i dont think most of it is justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

SB71 wrote: »
    Amazon are amongst the best companies ive ever purchased from online, anytime ive had any returns it's been flawless, sometimes they'll refund you even before they receive back the item, sometimes they even said to keep the item and issued a refund, customer service is quick and instant, for all the stick they get i dont think most of it is justified.

To be fair, their customer service has refunded me for the missing items, and told me if they arrive I can keep them (worth less than £30) so thats decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭eguiney

McGiver wrote: »
    Given that Denmark, Norway, Finland and Sweden, don't have their own Amazon website, I think it's unlikely.

They have just launched a site for Sweden - which led to media coverage last week of language mistranslations.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Grueller Baby

McGiver wrote: »
    Do you seriously expect Amazon UK to serve RoI from the Amazon.co.uk?

Different VAT regime, outside of the Customs Union, outside of the Single Market.

Unless you expect Amazon.ie then yeah. Given that Denmark, Norway, Finland and Sweden, don't have their own Amazon website, I think it's unlikely.

amazon.ie is a very distinct possibility.

Amazon's distribution centre in Dublin is almost ready to open, they are currently in the process of building a distribution centre in Cork and just last month began to search for a new office block which will bring them to 4 in Cork and at least 3 offices in Dublin.

Once the distribution centres are open Amazon will likely handle all the deliveries themselves via their Amazon Logistics company. They've already began to delivery parcels in the Dublin area via - https://logistics.amazon.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Try and shop local.

Hmm will I drive over to Easons and pay €21.99 for the book or get the hardback off Amazon, free shipping in 2-3 days for €10.99? No contest. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭3DataModem

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Hmm will I drive over to Easons and pay €21.99 for the book or get the hardback off Amazon, free shipping in 2-3 days for €10.99? No contest. :pac:

Amazon employs three times as many as easons in Ireland (and good jobs too) so Amazon IS local.

Advertisement