Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It doesn't matter if Biden is corrupt or not.

It's the US , assume all politicians are somewhat corrupt because there's no other way they could pay for the election campaigns.

What matters is how corrupt they are.

At this stage it looks like Trump a billionaire business man isn't even paying his bills to small businesses for essential services like providing ambulances and transport for people at out of town (because he allegedly doesn't pay the in-town ones) rallies.

Anyone who read Michael Cohen's book knows there is a 100% chance that Trump is trying to shaft suppliers when and where he can. That book is littered with examples of him doing that, starting with Trump first getting Cohen to do a couple hundred hours work, while Cohen was working for another firm and was adding those hours to his billable summary for Trump and Trump just offered him a job, with less money than Cohen was making at the time and never paid the original bill.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Will there be exit polls conducted on the 3rd?

With the volume of early voting, they won't be any use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Graham wrote: »
    What makes you think the story is going to get wider coverage in the next 48 hours to enable it to influence those that haven't already heard it?

They're praying for a James Comey to come save them again, but it hasn't happened and as you said is too late now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,184 ✭✭✭✭looksee

JoeGil wrote: »
    By and large yes. Not being covered by most media outlets even though a story like this would normally be the main headine for all media outlets.

https://www.politifact.com/article/2020/oct/29/tony-bobulinski-hunter-biden-and-china-explainer/

I've no idea about any interviews with Bobulinski, but this article on Politifact seems pretty comprehensive. They can't find anything worth making a fuss about. And in terms of Joe Biden, there doesn't seem to be anything at all. Fake news even.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

All I can say is that I heard the intreview with Bobulinski. He sounded genuine. Maybe the media know something he doesn't. Best to listen to the interview and decide.

Look if there was anything to these claims media would be all over it. Hillarys emails was a front page story on NY Times 13 out of last 14 days of 2016 campaign and they immediately dismiss Bobulinski claims

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/25/us/politics/bidens-china.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Will it be possible to watch election coverage live on YouTube?

Right now Sky News and ABC News are live on Youtube. I'd say there will be many more on Tuesday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Some states will be releasing the results from the early and post in ballots very soon after closing. That may help give some indication. For example they know the % registered as GOP, Dems and Ind of those who have voted that way. If there's a skew in either way that may show it, esp which way the Inds are breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

It didn't whimper out. It just wasn't reported.
    I would expect voters who are just hearing the facts to be influenced.

It wasnt reported by any self-respecting media outlet because it was a load of irrelevant ****e... So, someone found a photo of a guy passed out with a crack- pipe on the pillow, or the same chap smoking a ciggie in the bath... Over 21 million people in USA have an addiction to at least one substance and thats not counting 'casual' users. So, whats so special about this guy? It's not like he's running for election...

It's a pathetic story, poorly handled by Trump's propaganda idiots, and most people see it a just another shiver of a dying wasp! Aaaand, it's a gross insult to all those 21 million who have to fight every single day in their battle against their addictions. NONE of them would want to see photos of themselves when they're in the throes of their addiction.

Give it a rest! This far-right addiction to Hunter is an embarassment at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,940 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    It wasnt reported by any self-respecting media outlet because it was a load of irrelevant ****e... So, someone found a photo of a guy passed out with a crack- pipe on the pillow, or the same chap smoking a ciggie in the bath... Over 21 million people in USA have an addiction to at least one substance and thats not counting 'casual' users. So, whats so special about this guy? It's not like he's running for election...

It's a pathetic story, poorly handled by Trump's propaganda idiots, and most people see it a just another shiver of a dying wasp! Aaaand, it's a gross insult to all those 21 million who have to fight every single day in their battle against their addictions. NONE of them would want to see photos of themselves when they're in the throes of their addiction.

Give it a rest! This far-right addiction to Hunter is an embarassment at this stage!

It's the same level of shyte that we've heard in the impeachment

Gaetz himself is a product of nepotism.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,316 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

What's worse is that this chap (Hunter Biden) has been battling addiction for years, has (apparently) been clean of recent years and he's the focus of an absolute torrent of made up stories, leaks, hacks and sundry other personal attacks and invasions and he's not even standing for dog catcher in his local county. I can't imagine the strain he's under right now. And for the square root of feck all. It's just disgraceful and abhorrent. They can't find anything on Mr. Clean, so they go after his recovering addict one remaining child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,242 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Overheal wrote: »
    It's the same level of shyte that we've heard in the impeachment

Gaetz himself is a product of nepotism.
    Ha ha that is a great clip.
    Absolutely destroyed him.

Gaetz is an odd one, that story about his "son" is bonkers.
    The appearing in a gas mask....ethic violations..DUI...threatening michael cohen...his ties to holocaust deniers like Charles Johnson..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Water John wrote: »
    Some states will be releasing the results from the early and post in ballots very soon after closing. That may help give some indication. For example they know the % registered as GOP, Dems and Ind of those who have voted that way. If there's a skew in either way that may show it, esp which way the Inds are breaking.

For those of us watching in Ireland, we'll learn most of the key overnight results by 2 a.m, and indeed many even by 1:

https://twitter.com/NextIrishGE/status/1323024540511965184

https://twitter.com/NextIrishGE/status/1323026556281851914

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Will there be exit polls conducted on the 3rd?

If it's like previous years, then the second the polls close, TV companies will say "We're calling State X for Biden, and State X for Trump", but only if they're ultra-safe states like Vermont and West Virginia.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

If it's like previous years, then the second the polls close, TV companies will say "We're calling State X for Biden, and State X for Trump", but only if they're ultra-safe states like Vermont and West Virginia.

I don't think they will... I suspect that most of the media will be super circumspect about calling States on the night.

Unless they have actually counted the vast majority of votes, which given the volume of early/mail in votes there aren't going to be many at that stage on the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Federal judge deciding about the 120,000 votes in Harris county, Houston

It's just bizarre that something so basic as voting is being subjected to so much fud.

Do democrats have any plans for resolving all this nonsense around voting next time around (assuming they gain all 3 wings)? Will we be hearing same stuff in 5 years?

There's been a bit of momentum behind a "new voting rights act" of some sort. Obama made a speech after the death of John Lewis about it, tying it to Lewis, and he pointedly picked out the filibuster as an obstacle that should be gotten rid of if it impeded such a piece of legislation.

If the Democrats have any sense of self-preservation they will. The Republicans are not going to stop trying to push minority rule any time soon.

They need to avoid the mistakes of Labour in the UK who had the chance to push for some form of PR, and are paying for their greed ever since.

Federal judge deciding about the 120,000 votes in Harris county, Houston

It's just bizarre that something so basic as voting is being subjected to so much fud.

Do democrats have any plans for resolving all this nonsense around voting next time around (assuming they gain all 3 wings)? Will we be hearing same stuff in 5 years?

What's even more bizarre is that the State Supreme Court blew this case away already!

Here's an interesting article on Slate dealing with some background and legal issues involved:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/10/texas-drive-through-voting-throw-out-ballots.html

Good post, let's hope for change

I believe Maine already moved to rank voting https://www.npr.org/2020/10/07/921287288/how-maines-ranked-choice-voting-system-works

So hopefully in time rest of US becomes more normal when it comes to elections, hell maybe they can learn from this Republic :)

New York City have also decided to move to ranked choice voting, although I'm not sure if they have actually had any elections with it yet (perhaps this week).

The fact that a country as large and diverse as the USA has only 2 political parties is preposterous. First past the post is not good for democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,406 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Pennsylvania today apparently.

ElseDuwWkAAHoMl?format=jpg&name=large

Pennsylvania today apparently.

ElseDuwWkAAHoMl?format=jpg&name=large

Sheer Madness!! Yet another Super-Spreader event in MAGA-land!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

A series of Politico pieces that collectively point towards a stronger performance for Trump

The importance of Pennsylvania and the Trump campaigns efforts there:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/11/01/pennsylvania-trump-biden-campaign-433798

A credible look at why the shy trump voter might be a real thing:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/10/29/2020-polls-trump-biden-prediction-accurate-2016-433619

How he might pull it off:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/11/01/how-trump-could-win-election-433703

Some decent info and analysis and worth a read if you want to feed your anxiety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

There’s no “election silence” law in the US, right? Does that mean the candidates could hold rallies the day of the election, if they wanted? As long as it’s not near a polling station, is my understanding.

Shelga wrote: »
    There’s no “election silence” law in the US, right? Does that mean the candidates could hold rallies the day of the election, if they wanted? As long as it’s not near a polling station, is my understanding.

I guess so. Only thing is that election rallies are usually held at night and the polls close relatively early (7-8 pm usually) in most states so it probably wouldn't achieve much. They could try and have one during the day but since it's a weekday and a work day for most people it might be tricky to get a decent turnout.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

droidus wrote: »
    A series of Politico pieces that collectively point towards a stronger performance for Trump

The importance of Pennsylvania and the Trump campaigns efforts there:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/11/01/pennsylvania-trump-biden-campaign-433798

I was in the Keystone State last weekend, drove from Philly to Gettysburg. I was astounded at the amount of Trump signs (and a Trump convoy) I saw, way more than I see here in Texas. Maybe it's because it's a swing state and there's more call to bother advertising.

Obviously there's a difference between I-76 and the city of Philadelphia, I'm sure there are more people within a mile of Philly city center than there are between Harrisburg and Philly, but there's a definite fight going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,782 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I was in the Keystone State last weekend, drove from Philly to Gettysburg. I was astounded at the amount of Trump signs (and a Trump convoy) I saw, way more than I see here in Texas. Maybe it's because it's a swing state and there's more call to bother advertising.

Obviously there's a difference between I-76 and the city of Philadelphia, I'm sure there are more people within a mile of Philly city center than there are between Harrisburg and Philly, but there's a definite fight going on there.

But I thought there was such a thing a silent trump voter.

All the ones we've seen so far have been pretty vulgar about the open support. Even so far as to attack the opposition front runner. And trump tweeting out support of such actions in twitter only hours ago.

America is broken.

And it's broken for all to see.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I don't think anyone is doubting that Trump is fighting hard in Pa.

There's a massive urban/rural divide in Pa. Even Pittsburgh doesn't follow the urban trend.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Sheer Madness!! Yet another Super-Spreader event in MAGA-land!!

I will never understand the whole "rally" thing.

Covid or not , why on earth would you want to go to a political rally - for anyone?

50+ Years ago before TV and more recently the Internet etc. they were probably the only way to get to see/hear the candidate and what they were about , but since then?

I just don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I will never understand the whole "rally" thing.

Covid or not , why on earth would you want to go to a political rally - for anyone?

50+ Years ago before TV and more recently the Internet etc. they were probably the only way to get to see/hear the candidate and what they were about , but since then?

I just don't get it.
    Razzmatazz and instant gratification for both candidates and public. People like to be close to who they are voting for and they are a good way to get a decent captive audience. In Trump's case they are the bubble he desperately needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭Christy42

Interesting he doesn't want the military votes counted either. The deadline for their arrival to be counted is well after midnight of the election night with Trump threatening to bring in the lawyers at midnight.

I am sure he will fail at this but the point remains that he actively wants to disenfranchised people and is getting cheered for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,604 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

listermint wrote: »
    But I thought there was such a thing a silent trump voter.

All the ones we've seen so far have been pretty vulgar about the open support. Even so far as to attack the opposition front runner. And trump tweeting out support of such actions in twitter only hours ago.

America is broken.

And it's broken for all to see.
    These arent the silent votes though.
    The silent voter is the one who claims to be undecided when polled but then ticks the Trump box on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,750 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Christy42 wrote: »
    Interesting he doesn't want the military votes counted either. The deadline for their arrival to be counted is well after midnight of the election night with Trump threatening to bring in the lawyers at midnight.

I am sure he will fail at this but the point remains that he actively wants to disenfranchised people and is getting cheered for it.

Also wont the postal votes in many states like florida be counted first if not immediately released upon polls closing? There is every likelihood that by 11:59 PM on tuesday he will still be losing due to the high number of democratic early voting slowing the counting of in person election day voting

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement