Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

They're not even trying anymore

Yeah, as a once- famous, now infamous man said: Sad!

I read that the FBI is investigating the "Trump Train" attack on the Biden bus in Texas...

I hope they'll be looking into the instigator-in-chief's role in promoting such actions.... Looks like certain 'very fine people' are no longer willing to 'stand by'...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I read that the FBI is investigating the "Trump Train" attack on the Biden bus in Texas...

I hope they'll be looking into the instigator-in-chief's role in promoting such actions.... Looks like certain 'very fine people' are no longer willing to 'stand by'...

Would answer why the FBI and not the local law enforcement isn't involved

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

L1011 wrote: »
    Absolutely nobody who might ever consider Biden corrupt and Trump not corrupt wasn't already voting for Trump
    It doesn't matter if Biden is corrupt or not.

It's the US , assume all politicians are somewhat corrupt because there's no other way they could pay for the election campaigns.

What matters is how corrupt they are.

At this stage it looks like Trump a billionaire business man isn't even paying his bills to small businesses for essential services like providing ambulances and transport for people at out of town (because he allegedly doesn't pay the in-town ones) rallies.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Water John

There was a Congressional candidate on the bus, that might explain FBI concern.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hopefully the attack on the bus was an aberration because the idea this is a precursor to a larger swath of aggressive "support" is a chilling escalation of partisanship. Trump has played with fire throughout his presidency and his desperation to be worshipped is causing this ramping up of zealotry. Of course, for the dissemblers and contrarian types who flit in and out of here, Trump remains technically blameless; his outspoken "concern" for stolen elections, or ask for "poll watching" never amounted to encouraging people to ram motorcades. It's Mafia levels of intellectual deniability.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Yeah. Both main parties have had the opportunity to end gerrymandering, improve voting systems or any number of other electoral reforms, but have sat on their hands because it may have suited them once they were in power.
    Special mention to the Republicans for dividing the nation’s largest historically black university into separate congressional districts.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭JoeGil

Water John wrote: »
    You must have missed the last two weeks.

On the contrary, despite the media censorship of the corruption stories I've manged to stay updated on the details over the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

JoeGil wrote: »
    On the contrary, despite the media censorship of the corruption stories I've manged to stay updated on the details over the last few weeks.

Can you give us some examples of the media's censorship of the corruption stories?

If you've heard about it then I'm guessing they weren't censored.

Graham wrote: »
    I didn't think there had been any significant changes.

JoeGil, which polls have you seen tightening?

The last one I saw was Iowa which changed from tied 4 weeks ago to Biden trailing by 7 points.

• Advertisement

POLLSTER RATING TRUMP BIDEN LEADER
    Selzer & Co.
    A+
    Oct. 26-29 48% 41% Trump +7
    Quinnipiac University
    B+
    Oct. 23-27 47% 46% Trump +1
    Emerson College
    A-
    Oct. 29-31 49% 47% Trump +1
    Siena College/The New York Times Upshot
    A+
    Oct. 18-20 43% 46% Biden +3
    InsiderAdvantage
    B-
    Oct. 30 48% 46% Trump +2
    RABA Research
    B/C
    Oct. 21-24 46% 50% Biden +4
    Monmouth University
    A+
    Oct. 15-19 47% 51% Biden +4
    Emerson College
    A-
    Oct. 19-21 48% 48% Even +0

This may not print right but one poll has Trump +7 and seems an outlier. Dangerous to compare diff polling cos but yes it seems tightening over time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

And yet you haven't noticed the coverage of massive, endemic corruption on the other side?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,074 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

And yet you haven't noticed the coverage of massive, endemic corruption on the other side?
    It's one of those irregular verbs. He's corrupt, they're corrupted, we're really good.

Can you give us some examples of the media's censorship of the corruption stories?

If you've heard about it then I'm guessing they weren't censored.

The interviews with the former Biden Family business associate Tony Bobulinski is a good place to start.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The last one I saw was Iowa which changed from tied 4 weeks ago to Biden trailing by 7 points.

Sorry, when you said things were going to come down to the wire I didn't realise you were talking specifically about Iowa.

Latest polls for Iowa

Emerson College - Biden 47 / Trump 49
    InsiderAdvantage - Biden 46 / Trump 48

It does look like Trump might take the State but probably still within the MOE.

Cook political still have Iowa listed as a toss-up state.

Water John wrote: »
    There was a Congressional candidate on the bus, that might explain FBI concern.

Once there is a federal candidate/election on the ballot, an election - related crime in a state is a Federal crime.

What now needs to be established is whether a crime actually took place. I hope the FBI will reach a very swift conclusion to that! Messages need to be sent before Tuesday that people stepping outside the law this week will be taken on!

The interviews with the former Biden Family business associate Tony Bobulinski is a good place to start.

So are they censored or what?

My point was just in relation to the story that broke in the last two weeks about the Biden dealings. I'm sure there is lots of corruption out there but this one is a big story that is just breaking and will influence some voters who are only now finding out.

Trump rally has a song playing ATM... the theme from The Titanic.

My point was just in relation to the story that broke in the last two weeks about the Biden dealings. I'm sure there is lots of corruption out there but this one is a big story that is just breaking and will influence some voters who are only now finding out.

The story whimpered out over the last fortnight. The response so far appears to be a large collective nothing and no significant changes in any of the polls.

Do you expect that to change in the final 48 hours?

• Advertisement

So are they censored or what?

By and large yes. Not being covered by most media outlets even though a story like this would normally be the main headine for all media outlets.

By and large yes. Not being covered by most media outlets even though a story like this would normally be the main headine for all media outlets.

Censorship =/= not being covered

I think you need to brush up on some definitions.

If the story had any merit it might be covered, but there's a few other stories on the go this week you may have noticed.

Graham wrote: »
    The story whimpered out over the last fortnight. The response so far appears to be a large collective nothing and no significant changes in any of the polls.

Do you expect that to change in the final 48 hours?

It didn't whimper out. It just wasn't reported.
    I would expect voters who are just hearing the facts to be influenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Oh weird, it’s almost like it’s completely made up and the media know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,074 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Apparently the fella in closest truck whose numberplate was visible is known to police and was involved in previous attempt to run over protesters after being dishonorably discharged from military. There's quite a bit more interesting stuff on perpetrators over on r/politics

But of course it could be wrong, innocent until proven guilty and all that, we will find out in few days.
    Judging by the amount of self-congratulatory and incriminating posts said person put on social media, the FBI will probably have it sorted during lunch break.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

And as I said, anyone who would find Biden corrupt but consider Trump not corrupt is already voting for Trump. Yet you appeared extremely confused by that.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Oh weird, it’s almost like it’s completely made up and the media know it.

All I can say is that I heard the intreview with Bobulinski. He sounded genuine. Maybe the media know something he doesn't. Best to listen to the interview and decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,644 ✭✭✭✭listermint

All I can say is that I heard the intreview with Bobulinski. He sounded genuine. Maybe the media know something he doesn't. Best to listen to the interview and decide.

Have you heard the expression flogging a dead horse.

It didn't whimper out. It just wasn't reported.
    I would expect voters who are just hearing the facts to be influenced.

What makes you think the story is going to get wider coverage in the next 48 hours to enable it to influence those that haven't already heard it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Will there be exit polls conducted on the 3rd?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement