Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

ELM327 wrote: »
    These arent the silent votes though.
    The silent voter is the one who claims to be undecided when polled.

I have yet to see evidence in any election anywhere that this is a thing. Ever. I have seen it claimed it pretty much every election as well but when the results are in the polls tend to be pretty close.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,654 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Christy42 wrote: »
    I have yet to see evidence in any election anywhere that this is a thing. Ever. I have seen it claimed it pretty much every election as well but when the results are in the polls tend to be pretty close.

Its also funny that republicans push this as their narrative, they are admitting their supporters feel so much shame about voting for them that they wont publicly admit to doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Christy42 wrote: »

Like the last time?
    Hillary was between +5 and +10, along with projected EC victory, right up to the day of the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Like the last time?
    Hillary was between +5 and +10, along with projected EC victory, right up to the day of the election.

That's not true.

Like the last time?

She was definitely not +10 the day of the election after the Comey news.

The Comeys news hit the polls last minute and they were still within the margin of error.

538 had Hilary winning the popular vote by 3.5%, she won by 2% on election night. 1.5% is not a sign of a shy vote.

The issue of the national polls not capturing the electoral college was even highlighted by some before the election,

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-odds-of-an-electoral-college-popular-vote-split-are-increasing/

• Advertisement

Solid PA and FL results here for Biden from Morning Consult (B/C rating on 538):

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1323205067726532608/photo/1

Elz374BXIAAKjMZ?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users Posts: 21,133 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Late polls could be quite accurate considering how many would have voted already this time. It's half an exit poll really.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,379 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Like the last time?
    That is not true.

Hillary was polling +4 the day before the election, her actual result in 2016 was +2. The poll was out by 2%, which was well within the margin of error.

is_that_so wrote: »
    I think this is where you provide support to confirm that claim!

No, that's where someone making the original, disputed claim posts evidence to support that.

But here, click through to this:
    https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/#plus&odds

Scroll to "How the forecast has changed" and switch to the "popular vote" graph. Even at her peak, Clinton was forecast to only be +5 on Trump in the popular vote. 3 days before election day she was only up 2.7 and the final forecast on election day was +3.5.

Or you can view the simple polling averages here:
    https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/national-polls/#plus

Peak Clinton lead during the entire campaign was +6.3 one month out from the election (pre-Comey letter). Final polling average was Clinton +3.8.

Keep in mind when looking at all these figures that the actual result in the end was Clinton +2.1.

Water John wrote: »
    Late polls could be quite accurate considering how many would have voted already this time. It's half an exit poll really.

Nate Silver has pointed out that they can tend to herd more in the last couple of days though. So who knows.

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    Solid PA and FL results here for Biden from Morning Consult (B/C rating on 538):

Actually looking again at that Florida result it's even more encouraging — Biden +6 with a huge sample size of 4,451.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Mostly same cohort pile into mega churches, logic goes out when one believes in an invisible man up there somewhere and already participate in mass (ha) events. Now that I think of it Trump is using the preacher handbook at these events.

It's a cult.

And, like members of a cult, they are treated like **** and would gladly come back for more.

For the third time this week, he abandoned them

https://twitter.com/JulieNBCNews/status/1323140942623313920?s=19

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

These arent the silent votes though.
    The silent voter is the one who claims to be undecided when polled but then ticks the Trump box on the day.

Indeed - And that may have been a factor in 2016.

Across pretty much all of the swing states last time out there were ~10% of people described as "undecided" - Some of those may indeed have been actual Trump voters unwilling to share their true feelings.

This time around though the undecided bucket is in the low single digits , 3% to 4% so it doesn't look like there are enough of them this time around.

Take PA for example.

RCP average currently has it as 49.7% Biden , 45.4% Trump.

That potentially leaves 4.9% on the table , but roughly ~1.5% of that balance is going to go to 3rd party votes , so really there are about 3.5% truly in the undecided category, probably a little bit less than that.

That is the massive difference this time around , even if Trump took every single one of that ~3.5% , it still might not be enough.

Also bear in mind , that last time RCP had Clinton on 46.2% in polling , but she actually got 47.5%.

In fact Clinton outperformed her polling number in all of the swing states except Wisconsin where she came in fractionally below. It was the undecided voters that won it for Trump. It doesn't look like there is sufficient numbers this time around.

Biden will get at least some percentage of those 3.5% and given how close to 50% polling has him he doesn't need that much.

Trumps task is of course , not impossible but it does look increasingly improbable looking at the data.

None of this of course takes in account any potential legal challenges/rulings etc. - Who knows what might happen then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I will never understand the whole "rally" thing.

Covid or not , why on earth would you want to go to a political rally - for anyone?

50+ Years ago before TV and more recently the Internet etc. they were probably the only way to get to see/hear the candidate and what they were about , but since then?

I just don't get it.

I suspect that it's a bit like the Pope's visit to Ireland in 1979 and the crowds (like myself) who thronged into the Phoenix Park to be part of it all...

I know! Are you serious?? Comparing Trump to The Pope!!

Well, here's my rationale... Many/most of these folks are consuming a CONSTANT diet of pro-Trump propaganda, day in and day out. Limbaugh, Infowars, OANN, Fox are their sole source of "news", and their beliefs are pavlovian as a result. There is no critical thinking going on, no questioning of what they are being told, and a 'fingers in the ears' / "LaLaLaLa......LaLa" attitude to any/all reason-based, evidence-supported alternative thinking. As part of that constant conditioning and programming, basic personality defects and innate human frailties are harnessed by propaganda peddlers to undermine followers' otherwise natural kindness and tolerance. As people get further invested in the belief system, they get sucked in deeper and deeper, and individual minds become subservient to the overall 'herd mentality'. By that time, you have a cult of blind following of a leader and members will congregate to see and hear the 'Great Leader' when he visits an area that's within travelling distance.

In many ways, the cult of Trump is a form of religion- a blind faith in someone that gives some meaning to otherwise empty belief systems. And it's not just Trump. It's the cult of personality that follows charismatic figures all over the political and religious map. Popes, JFK, Fidel Castro, Obama, Ugo Chavez, Hitler, Eva Peron- all capable of drawing large crowds just to hear them speak, and be in their presence. Mad, I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Alonso77

MJohnston wrote: »

Elz374BXIAAKjMZ?format=jpg&name=large

If those polls in PA, Michigan and Wisconsin are even close to accurate then Trump is done. When Texas and Georgia are in play republicans know they are in trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Alonso77 wrote: »
    If those polls in PA, Michigan and Wisconsin are even close to accurate then Trump is done. When Texas and Georgia are in play republicans know they are in trouble
    Even the Trump-positive states tell a story. Trump won by 19 points in Indiana in 2016 (56% -v- 37%).

All he would have to do to maintain that is meet a minimum level of competency through his presidency. And he didn't.

South Carolina is another good one. Trump had a 13.5% lead in in 2016. Now 6.6% in that poll. That's the lowest polling Republican in S. Carolina since Bob Dole. (Who?...Exactly)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

In Michael Moore's opinion you should automatically half Biden's poll leads in any given State. This brings most States withiin the margin of error and too close to call.

Biden's national lead is at +8%. Very little move throughout the campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Texas is not in play.
    Biden was ran out of texas sure.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Texas is not in play.

I do not think that Texas is going to go for Biden , but the mere fact that a Democrat candidate is even remotely in sight there is a huge warning sign for Trump.

Across the board , even in typically raging red States he is polling well behind where he was in 2016.

As I said earlier , his task is not impossible , but it does look improbable at this stage.

• Advertisement

Texas is about a one in three shot for Biden. Harris wouldn't be wasting time there if it wasn't in play to some degree. Also puts Trump on the back foot defending it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Texas is not in play.

Trump will prob eek out Texas by 3 to 4 pts but it won't matter if PA, Michigan and Wisconsin are in the bag for Biden. PA is looking like the one to watch.

Texas is not in play.

Trump supporters being more violent does not mean there are more of them.

He probably won't get it in the end but it is absolutely in play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

Texas is not in play.

Not sure how anyone can say this with any certainty given huge turnout.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Texas is not in play.

A small cohort of idiots acting aggressively does not constitute anything. Tbh they should all be arrested. Imagine any other vice president or ex president being boxed in on a highway by vehicles and armed men.

The secret service would be well within rights to take action

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Post deleted and sanction issued. Don't dump videos here please.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Alonso77 wrote: »
    Trump will prob eek out Texas by 3 to 4 pts but it won't matter if PA, Michigan and Wisconsin are in the bag for Biden. PA is looking like the one to watch.

Indeed - As has been flagged for quite some time , the PA vote is likely the critical one.

Which is why that case potentially coming back in front of the Supreme court is so huge.

Trump was railing against their "non-decision" the other day.

Expect that rhetoric to increase exponentially if he takes Florida.

Personally I'd have Florida slightly leaning for Trump at this stage but it will be very very close.

If Trump wins Florida then sadly I think the Election gets decided in a court room and not the ballot box as Trump and the GOP will go scorched earth in PA to try to win there , regardless of what tallied advantage there might be for Biden.

Monmouth with Biden +7 in PA (or +5 if you somehow think this is going to be a low turnout election):

https://twitter.com/MonmouthPoll/status/1323221431682015232

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Water John wrote: »
    Biden's national lead is at +8%. Very little move throughout the campaign.

I stopped looking at national poll results some time ago. The only pre-election polls that matter are those on a state by state basis.

• Advertisement

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I stopped looking at national poll results some time ago. The only pre-election polls that matter are those on a state by state basis.

The logic is that, once a Dem candidate is about +6 they can overcome the differential between the popular vote and the Electoral College.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement