Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

It's really not comparable and an ounce of intellect would demonstrate why buy it's a catchy eye grabber though.
    I had to have bloods taken recently only person wearing a mask during the procedure was me. So clad head to toe in PPE? lol

Other than during wars when else have thousands of healthcare workers globally lost their lives over an 8 month period?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,650 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Not sure if this has been posted before or if there's anything in it. Has anyone seen any change in HSPC or this being covered anywhere?

Would think HSE and/or NPHET would have to acknowledge any change which results in reduction in reporting of cases.

https://twitter.com/deller89/status/1318585536483905538

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

hmmm wrote: »
    People can have social lives, just not in indoor locations with lots of people.

That or the alternative is to repeatedly have to lockdown fully every few months.

When we get a vaccine, and when we get rapid testing, we'll chip away at the virus and begin to relieve the pressure.

I often wonder how many healthy 70-80 year olds will happily waste away their final years living in a suppressed limbo?

Last I heard the survival rate for nursing home patients was greater than 70%.

It’s a paradox really, worse things than death though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

kippy wrote: »
    Well, a bad turn of phrase by myself.

What I was trying to get across was the fact that we have had pandemics before but none of this nature in modern (global travel, scientific) times.....

The Spanish flu was just a hundred years ago during a time of travel due to the War and incedently it was more dangerous to the younger generations. Figures of 50 to 80 million dead from a world population of 2 billion. By any metrics the Spanish flu to date has been far more deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The Spanish flu was just a hundred years ago during a time of travel due to the War and incedently it was more dangerous to the younger generations. Figures of 50 to 80 million dead from a world population of 2 billion. By any metrics the Spanish flu to date has been far more deadly.

This is the thing. I know about the Spanish flu. Which is why I used the term almost unprecedented. However to suggest that the Spanish flu existed in a time of accessible global travel, scientific knowledge and communications similiar to now is display a level of knowledge not worthy of a poster on this thread surely?
    I don't disagree with any of your metrics or general outlook around its deadliest status as the numbers would indicate that.

• Advertisement

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Anyone treating a know or suspected covid case in hospital would be in full ppe, doesn't take much intellect to understand that. As for a medical professional to not be wearing a mask when taking your bloods, yeah don't believe that.

What you believe or disbelieve is of no consequence to me.

This is the thing. I know about the Spanish flu. Which is why I used the term almost unprecedented. However to suggest that the Spanish flu existed in a time of accessible global travel, scientific knowledge and communications similiar to now is display a level of knowledge not worthy of a poster on this thread surely?
    I don't disagree with any of your metrics or general outlook around its deadliest status as the numbers would indicate that.

Global travel at the time was necessary due to a war, science in the era was also very advanced. Wars seem to be great in advancing science particularly medical science. My point was if you are going to make comparisons be prepared to have them challenged .
    Also as to your claim of thousands I suggest you read your own article.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

Not trolling, genuinely wondering if someone can explain why we are not seeing mass deaths in poor countries like India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, most of Africa? Last I saw India had 100k deaths with a population of over 1billion. Having been in India and Sri Lanka I can’t imagine social distancing being enforced greatly.

What you believe or disbelieve is of no consequence to me.

Doesn't really matter tbh. The point you made was completely turned back on you and shown for what it was.

Global travel at the time was necessary due to a war, science in the era was also very advanced. Wars seem to be great in advancing science particularly medical science. My point was if you are going to make comparisons be prepared to have them challenged .

7000 healthcare worker deaths as of 2 months ago. Figure of 1500 was nurses only.
    https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2020/09/amnesty-analysis-7000-health-workers-have-died-from-covid19/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

manniot2 wrote: »
    Not trolling, genuinely wondering if someone can explain why we are not seeing mass deaths in poor countries like India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, most of Africa? Last I saw India had 100k deaths with a population of over 1billion. Having been in India and Sri Lanka I can’t imagine social distancing being enforced greatly.

Young populations?

Ah lad, you'd want to stop posting.
    You'd get an understanding in one small way of how things were different a hundred years ago.

Young population, and underreporting of deaths

Some developing countries such as Bolivia, Ecuador and Peru have far higher deaths than any country in Europe, or the world

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Population age profile seems to be the most common suggestion. In the case of Africa they are better set up than many on account of their ongoing battles with other pathogens.

Doesn't really matter tbh. The point you made was completely turned back on you and shown for what it was.

Eh it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I'm convinced climate is a major factor

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

No idea what their excess death figures are, but the numbers that they're testing for covid are very low, so obviously not going to find many covid related deaths then

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Obesity, old age and heart disease seem to be the primary health issue that Covid effects the most.

Does any of those countries suffer those health issues like the 1st world does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

circadian wrote: »

I am not saying the entire country is incapable of it but as we've seen it takes a tiny cohort to flaunt the efforts of everyone else to cause a rapid rise in cases. We've shown as a nation we cannot police this between ourselves.

That is the problem. Even if we are all 95% perfect in all our actions it is not enough. We need 100% compliance to the measures or it all falls apart.

The CMO was very clear that the reason we needed to go to Level 5 was because 5% non compliance causes R0 to go up to about to about 1.3, as it did since we opened up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Dr Nolan said we caught 1/3 cases in the first wave and are catching 100% of cases now.

This kind of data shows him for the fool he is.

Yeah some fools alright

It's laughable

Slovakia's results make that statement by Nolan look idiotic

Slovakia are half way through now and they have tested 2.5m people

1% positive rate

25,000 cases caught

They were catching 2,500 cases daily before that

These are antigen tests too, sensitivity is way less than PCR, they are catching contagious people with viral loads

If they used PCR tests your talking 30% minimum more cases caught

Probably 65,000 cases caught vs 2,500 cases they were catching daily

We for sure had the 10 times more Covid on the loose in March/April that people estimated based on Slovakia testing

https://www.aktuality.sk/clanok/836264/plosne-testovanie-takto-dopadol-prvy-den-v-cislach/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Young population, and underreporting of deaths

Some developing countries such as Bolivia, Ecuador and Peru have far higher deaths than any country in Europe, or the world

India’s median population age is almost the exact same as Peru, and is similar to Brazil.

As for under reporting of deaths, do they have excess deaths in general?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That is the problem. Even if we are all 95% perfect in all our actions it is not enough. We need 100% compliance to the measures or it all falls apart.

The CMO was very clear that the reason we needed to go to Level 5 was because 5% non compliance causes R0 to go up to about to about 1.3, as it did since we opened up.
    Did he actually say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

India’s median population age is almost the exact same as Peru, and is similar to Brazil.

As for under reporting of deaths, do they have excess deaths in general?

They dont have data for medical professional's deaths because of Covid. Expecting data on reporting of deaths is not something they would do. When less data can paint a rosy picture, why bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Remember when we couldn’t open the pubs because the schhols took priority. What utter nonsense will they come with for December I wonder.

It is not desirable to open pubs in December. It is important that people can visit their family or invite granny to dinner at Christmas. That will not be possible if people have been out spreading Covid in pubs for a month before.

Low life expectancy, under testing..

It is not desirable to open pubs in December. It is important that people can visit their family or invite granny to dinner at Christmas. That will not be possible if people have been out spreading Covid in pubs for a month before.
    Can those of us without grandparents go for a pint instead, those with grannies stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Eod100 wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been posted before or if there's anything in it. Has anyone seen any change in HSPC or this being covered anywhere?

Would think HSE and/or NPHET would have to acknowledge any change which results in reduction in reporting of cases.

https://twitter.com/deller89/status/1318585536483905538

I think someone needs to clarify this

• Registered Users Posts: 11,650 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I think someone needs to clarify this

It seems fairly technical but if there has been a change like this which seems fairly significant, think it would need to be communicated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

is_that_so wrote: »
    Did he actually say that?

At one of the press conferences he said 95% if us are doing the right thing but that is not enough. It's the reason the R0 didn't get out of hand but not enough to get it down below 1.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement