Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,412 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Sometimes that would be necessary though, depending on the context. There was an overlapping personal and professional relationship in this instance. Leo would have had to communicate with loads of doctors over the years as minister for health and then taoiseach.

The professional relationship was through the Department of Health and the Minister of Health. If the Taoiseach was of the professional opinion that the NAGP should see the document, he should have told the relevant Minister to issue it, not done a solo run using his mate as a back channel, undermining the work being done by the Minister and Department.

blanch152 wrote: »
    What proper channels? He was the Taoiseach.

The proper channel is to go through the relevant Minister., not to undermine his Minister.

Nothing. The IMO made the agreement public a week before the events published in the village.

That is untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Leo the leak doesn't know the days of the week.

It may be 5 to Midnight in his Dáil career, to borrow the nuclear metaphor, but he's blissfully unaware (of his Midnights).

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I think you are being a bit disingenuous here describing him as his "pal". He was the president of the NAGP at the time, a body which represented 40% of GPs in the country. And he was providing him with an agreement that all those GPs would be part of.

The NAGP had no negotiating license and were not a party to the negotiations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

tobsey wrote: »
    Did the NAGP have an office? I’m not saying they did or didn’t, but if they were a small organisation then sending it to one of the directors at an address given doesn’t seem that unusual

They had 1200 members. That ain’t no small organisation.

Sorolla wrote: »
    I do believe it might be a good idea for the leaders of FF FG GP to arrive at a gentleman’s agreement and ignore this story.

We are in a lockdown and we have had tremendous success in reducing “R”

We should concentrate on this massive success and concentrate our news reporting solely on COVID.

We’re rounding the turn on the virus and this is THE news story

No other story is of interest

Leo's position has minimal impact on Covid

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Now that is funny all right.

Some of the bile on this thread is eye-opening.

Some people just don’t like a successful gay son of an immigrant, do they?

Hilarious to see that card being pulled again. Brilliant. :D Keep it up please.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Suckit wrote: »
    Hilarious to see that card being pulled again. Brilliant. :D Keep it up please.

Desperation measures from the blueshirts now. Interesting to see however that the silence is deafening coming from FG TDs in support of Leo.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Desperation measures from the blueshirts now. Interesting to see however that the silence is deafening coming from FG TDs in support of Leo.
    Looking where to go.

That post though. I didn't think they would attempt to bring it up on such a high profile story. I'm still smiling.

I haven't caught up on the thread yet. Not sure I need to read more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

Are some of the accounts trying their level best to defend this whole mess also part of Leo's plan to have anonymous accounts post nice things about FG that he proposed two years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Are some of the accounts trying their level best to defend this whole mess also part of Leo's plan to have anonymous accounts post nice things about FG that he proposed two years ago?

You'd have to direct that to PintmanPaddy. I believe he runs their online recruitment campaigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,852 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Looking where to go.

That post though. I didn't think they would attempt to bring it up on such a high profile story. I'm still smiling.

I haven't caught up on the thread yet. Not sure I need to read more.

What d'ya mean "they"?! A person said a thing... do you just imagine hiveminds behind every post or something?

Regardless where you look in politics discussions on here, it's always reduced this stupid lowest common denominator Us V Them nonsense, where every action by every person is deemed an act of the collective, in the minds of far too many.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The sh1tting "etiquette" thread will be quiet for a while despite all the "Squeaky bums" around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    What d'ya mean "they"?! A person said a thing... do you just imagine hiveminds behind every post or something?

Regardless where you look in politics discussions on here, it's always reduced this stupid lowest common denominator Us V Them nonsense, where every action by every person is deemed an act of the collective, in the minds of far too many.

It's just not confined to here however. Say something contrary to govt and you're accused of being a Shinner.

Not every post, no. But when it comes to posters defending Leo it is usually the case.
    In any case, the 'them' in this instance is where I chose to go with it, and it is where I choose to stay.
    But seeing as I must explain, the 'them' that it I was really directing it at - is those that choose to bring up that tired and beaten racist/homophobic crap that has been overused for Leo in the past.
    In this instance I wasn't thinking so much about the politics of it. Or any of it tbh I just came off an 11 hour shift and was sitting down to relax before bed.
    But 'them' could also work for many reasons. It doesn't mean 'all'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Leo's position has minimal impact on Covid

Leo beat Covid on his own and here is the photo opportunity to prove it

0_leov.png

Of course that was after he said there would be no photo opportunities of Leos battle against Covid. Then he gets a FG councillor to take his photo and stick it up on Twitter anyway :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Now that is funny all right.

Some of the bile on this thread is eye-opening.

Some people just don’t like a successful gay son of an immigrant, do they?

There we go again. Varadkar in trouble again and blanch is throwing out the homophones allegations and I bet he hasn't commented once on the current issue.

Not every post, no. But when it comes to posters defending Leo it is usually the case.
    In any case, the 'them' in this instance is where I chose to go with it, and it is where I choose to stay.
    But seeing as I must explain, the 'them' that it I was really directing it at - is those that choose to bring up that tired and beaten racist/homophobic crap that has been overused for Leo in the past.
    In this instance I wasn't thinking so much about the politics of it. Or any of it tbh I just came off an 11 hour shift and was sitting down to relax before bed.
    But 'them' could also work for many reasons. It doesn't mean 'all'.

What it read as - and still reads as - is you taking issue with someone's post, but instead of actually responding to that post in a way that might create discussion on a discussion forum, you instead posted a message for the "You" against the "Them".

I just see absolutely no use or value in posts like this, as they actively push against discussion and debate (particularly when you don't even address your post to the person you took issue with), and actively increases these idiotic broad 'Our Team' against 'Their Team' divides.

It's just so so common on here, and does accomplishes absolutely nothing positive.
    Sorry to be picking up on yours in particular after a long day, it just jumped off the screen as an example of this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Leo beat Covid on his own and here is the photo opportunity to prove it

0_leov.png

Of course that was after he said there would be no photo opportunities of Leos battle against Covid. Then he gets a FG councillor to take his photo and stick it up on Twitter anyway :rolleyes:
    That was not taken by a councilor it was taken by the guy who he leaked the documents to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

smurgen wrote: »
    Go on. Explain it to us blanch....
    Still waiting for blance to explain everything to us.

Nothing. The IMO made the agreement public a week before the events published in the village.
    If that was the case why did Donnelly and others not see it? The IMO released a press release that mentioned somethings in the proposed agreement, they did not release the document that Leo leaked.

Why has no one come out to back up what varadkar said today?

He can't until he is told by John Concannon what to say.

He never explains. All Blanch does is firstly deny it is a story usually rubbishes it by saying it is not in some media he trusts, then he will still deny it saying its the opposition causing trouble, then he will call anyone opposing the government or member of government an idiot or SF supporter, he will resort to throwing out some labels and finally when he can no longer defend the indefensible he will disappear for a few days. Oh yeah and he will never ever give any opinion on the issue being discussed. Standard practice for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

This could go either way - he might brazen it out, thinking that there's enough else going on that eventually the public will stop being all that interested and even if there's a fuss kicked up by the opposition and even members of government it'll eventually blow over. In a sense, I think the story of the leaking of documents might not capture the attention of the public - it's not exactly Watergate. It's not inconceivable that the morass of the daily political news cycle will move on.

But, it looks really damaging when you really look at is. It stinks of a bit of a sly number for a friend and it raises a lot of questions about how he does business and his integrity IMO. Personally, I don't trust Leo: he's obviously as leaky as a sieve and does well out of it. At the very least, this is politically pretty damaging and, at worst, he could eventually fall on his sword. His own explanations and lack of denials are interesting. There would be a bit of poetic justice if a man long suspected for being a bit generous for the sharing of information is brought down by something like this. If he's still issuing clarifications and explanations by Tuesday the odds of him sticking around wouldn't be great.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Why has no one come out to back up what varadkar said today?

You know there's something amiss when even Neale Richmond has spent the day tweeting about rugby and Sean Connery.

What it read as - and still reads as - is you taking issue with someone's post, but instead of actually responding to that post in a way that might create discussion on a discussion forum, you instead posted a message for the "You" against the "Them".

I just see absolutely no use or value in posts like this, as they actively push against discussion and debate (particularly when you don't even address your post to the person you took issue with), and actively increases these idiotic broad 'Our Team' against 'Their Team' divides.

It's just so so common on here, and does accomplishes absolutely nothing positive.
    Sorry to be picking up on yours in particular after a long day, it just jumped off the screen as an example of this sort of thing.
    Ok.
    I didn't even think about what way I was writing it, the 'they' may even have just meant 'Blanch' as I am unsure of their sex.
    Also I was quoting somebody else and speaking about them (Blanch).
    TBH, I probably couldn't care less, as I have seen worse posts that actively push against any discussion or debate than referring to what could be perceived as a group.
    The discussion didn't seem to end either. we are seven hundred and something posts in, I haven't read most of it, nor do I intend to. I wasn't looking to create a discussion or a debate, that had begun long ago, of which we are posting in the middle of now, except instead of it just being me not adding to it, there are now two of us.
    I was just commenting on something I had literally just read and I thought was funny.
    In fact, I still do.
    I hope they keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Every opposition TD gona come down like an avalanche of bricks on him next week, not before ofcource deleting their own whatsapps and shredding any "files" they might have lol
    It is abit too soon tho for Sinn Fein to be throwing daggers so soon after their own senators shenanagans do ye think?

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »
    This could go either way - he might brazen it out, thinking that there's enough else going on that eventually the public will stop being all that interested and even if there's a fuss kicked up by the opposition and even members of government it'll eventually blow over. In a sense, I think the story of the leaking of documents might not capture the attention of the public - it's not exactly Watergate. It's not inconceivable that the morass of the daily political news cycle will move on.

But, it looks really damaging when you really look at is. It stinks of a bit of a sly number for a friend and it raises a lot of questions about how he does business and his integrity IMO. Personally, I don't trust Leo: he's obviously as leaky as a sieve and does well out of it. At the very least, this is politically pretty damaging and, at worst, he could eventually fall on his sword. His own explanations and lack of denials are interesting. There would be a bit of poetic justice if a man long suspected for being a bit generous for the sharing of information is brought down by something like this. If he's still issuing clarifications and explanations by Tuesday the odds of him sticking around wouldn't be great.

Depending on how things shake up, it could see Simon Coveney take over FG. Which I think would be a good thing for all involved anyway... he's a bit more measured, and tends to lean a good bit further left on issues than Varadkar does (without being extreme by any means). Has been behind a lot of the better FG moves over the past 4 years too, particularly with regards to Brexit and Europe. The broader grassroots elements of the party were in favour of him being in charge from the getgo anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement