Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭CarProblem

blanch152 wrote: »
    Some of the bile on this thread is eye-opening.

I think the blinkered defending of Leo is worse tbh. Though must be said there's blinkered supporters of all parties on here
    blanch152 wrote: »
    Some people just don’t like a successful gay son of an immigrant, do they?

Pathetic response though not surprising. Didn't Maria Bailey try to play the "victimised cos I'm a woman" card with Sean O'Rourke too?

Haven't read the whole thread but have you also tried to deflect attention onto SF as well Blanch?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Level 3 is why we are seeing a drop in numbers, it appears Leo may have been right.

We're in Level 5 mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Indeed the pressure will be put on the Greens in cabinet over this by their own membership again I'd say.
    Leo's pomposity knows no bounds, I'm the big cheese, look at this.
    It's been his biggest failing always.

One of the big failures of the greens last time in government was to excuse away ooor governance by their partners to keep the show on the road. Through poor decision and underhand deals they continued to prop up a bad government. They suffered 10years of political doldrums as a result. This is another decision point for them. Willl they cling to power at all costs or follow their principles and hold Leo to account.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

We're in Level 5 mate.

And according to NPHET we won't see the results of Level 5 for 3 weeks post implementation.....

These are Level 3 (point whatever) numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Augme wrote: »
    The big problem is it will be much harder for him to brazen it out in a coalition government. Fianna fail will be absolutely licking their lips at this and it would be a huge benefit for them for him to have to resign given how their tenure in government has been so far. They'll see this as a chance to even things up a bit. The Greens are already in a lot of trouble and can't afford to look weak on this either.

Somehow I don't think a GE would be a huge benefit to FF.

As it stands, this isn't going anywhere. Nobody is going to resign. At a maximum, Leo will eat a slice of humble pie. The idea that Leo will fall on his own sword over this is fanciful. The idea that FG would allow FF take his scalp is fanciful. The idea that either FF or the GP would collapse the government over this in the middle of an emergency is fanciful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭jd1983

Suckit wrote: »
    Hilarious to see that card being pulled again. Brilliant. :D Keep it up please.

Yea, I have to say using "son of an immigrant" as an attempt to defend Leo from an expose that revealed his lack of support for refugees made me laugh out loud :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I'm sure if the ASTI had negotiated an agreement with the Government for all teachers and Leo had then given a copy of that agreement to the TUI there would be no story.

The only reason there is a story here is because the NAGP were never given official status to represent GPs, despite the GPs in their membership being double that of the IMO. The real story here is why NAGP werent given a seat at the table for the earlier negotiations, not why were they given a copy once it was done.

Leaking of a confidential government document by the Taoiseach should always be unacceptable regardless of who ot was leaked to or why.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

s1ippy wrote: »
    Let's not forget that if we had brought in level five restrictions four weeks ago like NPHET advised, we would be going back to fewer restrictions on Monday. Leo was one of the decision-makers at the helm of this so it's his fault everyone is stuck at home right now.

So he's to blame for everyone sharing and commenting on his idiotic leaking.

That is breathtakingly stupid reasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

zanador wrote: »
    I think because he is a Dr and a friend that he sat on it wondering what to do and then finally it was too much. He probably hears stuff we don't from what went in during Leo's time as minister for health and if he's in his network other stuff. And from frontline healthcare worker staff the pressure just be immense, and as a doctor to see the handling of the pandemic and Leo going against nphet purely for ego and economy it must have stung.

Well I’m going to disagree with you re ‘going against NPHET for ego & economy’.
    Do you realise you’re talking about people’s jobs, our lives & how they have become restricted since level 5 was introduced? This has nothing to do with Leo’s ‘ego’ and once again displays good old Irish begrudgery at its finest. It’s the Government’s job to make decisions taking into account the whole picture. Are you suggesting we be dictated to by NPHET indefinitely?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

The question is why leak this story and now? Ever since Leo went against NPHET & Tony Holohan - the media have been out for him. It’s almost like it’s coordinated...between mainstream media attacks & twitter hashtags. This so called scandal is a practice rife with every single elected politician in the Dáil - why him & why now?

We need Leo in Government, he has more medical knowledge than his cabinet counterparts & is good at steering a ship through a crisis. The amount of begrudgers towards him is truly Irish.
    People actually suggesting Mary Lou, Michael Martin or even Harris etc would be a safe pair of hands through this is baffling. Three leaders incapable of making any proper decisions without NPHET ‘guiding’ the way. This is absolutely what we do not need right now.

When you joined FG was there a complicated hazing process or just a straight forward animal sacrifice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

I'm sure if the ASTI had negotiated an agreement with the Government for all teachers and Leo had then given a copy of that agreement to the TUI there would be no story.

The only reason there is a story here is because the NAGP were never given official status to represent GPs, despite the GPs in their membership being double that of the IMO. The real story here is why NAGP werent given a seat at the table for the earlier negotiations, not why were they given a copy once it was done.

No, the real story here is that Varadkar gave an official Government document marked 'Confidential / not for circulation' to a buddy, simple as.
    Do people not understand the meaning of CONFIDENTIAL
    Do people not understand the meaning of NOT FOR CIRCULATION

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

smurgen wrote: »
    Come on. After Cork losing today I need a few laughs. Strange times you know. Even considering buying the Sunday Indo tomorrow for a laugh.

They will probably run with the Bobby Storey funeral again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

rafatoni wrote: »

The most unusual thing about that event was the lack of masked men.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    No, the real story here is that Varadkar gave an official Government document marked 'Confidential / not for circulation' to a buddy, simple as.
    Do people not understand the meaning of CONFIDENTIAL
    Do people not understand the meaning of NOT FOR CIRCULATION

It means not for circulation to some people... In certain peoples eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

And according to NPHET we won't see the results of Level 5 for 3 weeks post implementation.....

Which is exactly why we should have gone straight to level 5 when suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

zanador wrote: »
    Which is exactly why we should have gone straight to level 5 when suggested.

Actually I would think it suggested Level 5 wasnt\isnt needed at all???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Is this not similar to what happened with the national broadband plan?

The other companies got word that information was leaked/shared to eir so pulled out?

I wonder how much all of this is actually costing us.

Fergal Bowers reporting that he had the fine detail of it on 5 April.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1322684470181404672

Well I’m going to disagree with you re ‘going against NPHET for ego & economy’.
    Do you realise you’re talking about people’s jobs, our lives & how they have become restricted since level 5 was introduced? This has nothing to do with Leo’s ‘ego’ and once again displays good old Irish begrudgery at its finest. It’s the Government’s job to make decisions taking into account the whole picture. Are you suggesting we be dictated to by NPHET indefinitely?

Well, as we don't have an adequate quick testing system then yes we should be locked down. It is the incompetence of our government that means we are in and out of strange levels, all over the place, I'm affected both financially and in all the other ways people are. But when I look at countries like New Zealand and Vietnam and Estonia then I think they will be up and running a lot quicker than we will be.

This isn't going away unless we look at places that are keeping numbers low and emulate them. They are only trying to keep ICU numbers down, they aren't trying to stop it.

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Is this not similar to what happened with the national broadband plan?

The other companies got word that information was leaked/shared to eir so pulled out?

I wonder how much all of this is actually costing us.
    No.
    Not at all similar. The IMO negotiations were concluded and the deal was done. No cost whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Phoebas wrote: »
    No.
    Not at all similar. The IMO negotiations were concluded and the deal was done. No cost whatsoever.

My point/question being - how common is this practice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭joemurt

Well when you came on here with the statement "This is a criminal matter. Has it been reported to the guards yet?" as your very first line in your very first post, without any additional details as to what law you felt was breached to require Garda intervention, I thought it was a ballsy move. I wanted to welcome this fella jumping straight in to deep end of the boards swimming pool.

And as I said Bubbaclaus - Thank you, you're a gentleman. I mistook it for snark. Apologies.

Honoured to be welcomed ''into the deep end of boards swimming pool'' to discuss criminal matters with intellects like yourself who has been here for 8 years. A pleasure.

BTW I did provide additional details as to why this is a criminal matter. Why have you chosen to ignore my point on the matter in a similar fashion as to if Varadkar actually said he doesn't give a f+ck about refugees?

I have stated previous - Varadkar was trying to personal gain an advantage in a goverment contract negotiation by leaking documents to a close friend and influencer who could pressure people on the other side of the negotiation table. That is a criminal breach of the secrets act. Is it not?

Guards need to act before evidence is destroyed. If this was France office and home raids would be happening already.

Hogan left EU trade agreements unprotected at his home didn't he, after this story about Varadkar who knows what the rest of the Fine Gael party golden circle have access to deemed confidential and leave lying around their homes unprotected?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭Floppybits

The FG supporters defence of Varadkar is astounding. According to them its ok to send confidential papers to parties not involved in the talks, dies this mean thats ok for everyone in government send confidential papers to whoever they want? You can bet if this was an FF, Green, SF or any other party then FG would be screaming for a head and the same supporters on here would be looking for blood but because it is Leo ah sure its grand. The hypocrisy is sickening and they know it.

As for Leo I can't see how he can be trusted by the other parties in the coalition. Questions also need to be asked If he has done this previously or if has done it in this government? If FF and Greens back him they are basically saying to all other government members its ok to leak confidential documents. He will have to make sure he has his ducks lined up and hope that there is nothing else out there that is going to come back and bite him after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭joeguevara

rafatoni wrote: »

More likely that the fact that 3 sinn Fein members of (1 Irish senator and 2 MLA ofStormont resigned /sacked after it transpired that they had received a 10k grant into their personal bank account mistakenly but forgot to return it. Even worse was that it only came to light when a BBC investigation uncovered it.

Possible criminal investigation will be made. Unlikely that Bobby Storey debacle will be raised. Is a bit more serious than a historic drink driving case or a boozey golf night. Also this leaking of a document is minor compared to pilfering public money.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-54745075

thomas 123 wrote: »
    My point/question being - how common is this practice?

Not very common at all I'd imagine

Actually I would think it suggested Level 5 wasnt\isnt needed at all???

I would agree if we could all be inside all the time. I know someone for eg who works in a school (not as a teacher) who isn't regarding the restrictions at all. That makes a bit of a farce of level 5 even.

I just don't want anyone to die needlessly while we sort this out. And I want to be able to have my yearly cancer screening this year instead of somewhere indefinitely down the line.

And I want to cut it off at the head, know who has it and why (look at how Victoria in Australia trace stuff) and then carry on. I think it's naivety to think that the way they are doing it isn't lining us up for huge economic and social problems in the future. We need a proactive approach not a reactive one and I'd rather have a few months of difficulty now than years of paying for indecisiveness and incompetence.

People are reacting to uncertainty and it makes them fearful or reckless. We need certainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

joeguevara wrote: »
    More likely that the fact that 3 sinn Fein members of (1 Irish senator and 2 MLA ofStormont resigned /sacked after it transpired that they had received a 10k grant into their personal bank account mistakenly but forgot to return it. Even worse was that it only came to light when a BBC investigation uncovered it.

Possible criminal investigation will be made. Unlikely that Bobby Storey debacle will be raised. Is a bit more serious than a historic drink driving case or a boozey golf night. Also this leaking of a document is minor compared to pilfering public money.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-54745075

Good man Joe, is there not a Sinn Fein topic elsewhere for this to be discussed. Why would you want to infiltrate a 'Varadkar leaking Confidential documents' thread with other fluffy stuff, is this the Mount St line.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Please provide details of where exactly NPHET said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Phoebas wrote: »
    Not very common at all I'd imagine

You would hope so but after this the question needs to be asked? Everyone who is a member of government will now be looked at to see if this is going on elsewhere especially FG. If the leader of FG thinks its OK to leak confidential documents then the rest must think the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

joemurt wrote: »
    And as I said Bubbaclaus - Thank you, you're a gentleman. I mistook it for snark. Apologies.

Honoured to be welcomed ''into the deep end of boards swimming pool'' to discuss criminal matters with intellects like yourself who has been here for 8 years. A pleasure.

BTW I did provide additional details as to why this is a criminal matter. Why have you chosen to ignore my point on the matter in a similar fashion as to if Varadkar actually said he doesn't give a f+ck about refugees?

I have stated previous - Varadkar was trying to personal gain an advantage in a goverment contract negotiation by leaking documents to a close friend and influencer who could pressure people on the other side of the negotiation table. That is a criminal breach of the secrets act. Is it not?

Guards need to act before evidence is destroyed. If this was France office and home raids would be happening already.

Hogan left EU trade agreements unprotected at his home didn't he, after this story about Varadkar who knows what the rest of the Fine Gael party golden circle have access to deemed confidential and leave lying around their homes unprotected?

But the negotiations were done at that point, so your point in bold doesn't make sense with the facts of the case. I don't think you fully understand the situation, which is understandable because there has been a lot of muck thrown around about it and people are being sensationalist because of who it involves. What part of the Official State Secrets Act do you think has been breached here? I would be interested to know your thoughts, given it appears no section of that Act has been broken.

Raids...come on now man in all fairness. Take a step back, review the chain of events and forget that it is Leo. Pretend it is a random person that you have no opinion of one way or the other. What do you actually think a raid is for here?

He gave an agreed new GP agreement to the president of a body which represented 40% of GPs. Did he go about it the wrong way? Yes, the Department of Health should have officially provided it earlier than he did. Is it a criminal matter? Clearly not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement