Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

FR85 wrote: »
    I tried to follow that link and got the attached....either the link is broken or there maybe cover ups happening ��

This link works https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2019-04-16/32/#spk_455

Far from it. MM has no power to remove him from office.

I'd suspect he's become increasingly unpopular even in his own party. Looking incredibly doubtful that he'll be taoiseach again. Plus the unions have turned on him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

timmyntc wrote: »
    They contacted Leo Varadkar in advance of publishing the article but he did not respond.
    It's even mentioned in the article. Did you read it?

No mention of that here. Is there a different version?

https://villagemagazineireland2020.medium.com/leo-varadkar-lawbreaker-t%C3%A1naiste-leaked-confidential-document-to-friend-efdd1f14cfcb

Ha! Only oddball men (always men) got worked up about that non issue. Ha!

Interesting...you just typed "men (always men)" in the exact same manner as JohnnyFlash did in the last hour...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115120566&postcount=358

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Phoebas wrote: »
    The IMO issued a press release on 5 April 2019 that the deal had been done with an outline of the contents.

https://www.imo.ie/news-media/news-press-releases/2019/statement-imo-reaches-210/index.xml

Did you read that?

"Dr. McGarry also acknowledged that there are issues that remain to be negotiated. " nothing final in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The story was leaked to a gay 29 YO man apparently who, no doubt, Varadkar "admires"

Whiff of homophobia off this tbh, dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It is hard to get a fair judgement on this as the people going after Leo are mostly those with a long held hatred and vendetta against him

I'm sure this type of stuff goes on all the time from all parties , just probably without the whatsapp image.

I will reserve my judgement on the matter for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Statement and answering questions in the Dail next week according to Daniel O Commell just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,208 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It's not a non-story for an elected politician to leak confidential government documents to their friends before it is due for release or passed by our national parliament.

It would be a resignation issue in any normal country.
    But this is Paddyland.

The story was leaked to a gay 29 YO man apparently who, no doubt, Varadkar "admires"

Didn't take long for the homophobia angle to appear, did it?

What confidential government documents are you talking about? If a document is in the hands of another party outside of government, it isn't confidential.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Not according to Stephen Donnelly's statement to DE. Some more milage on this story I guess.
    But that's a press release, as opposed to the document.

True.
    The deal was done and dusted and the outline was public, but the full contents of it weren't.

This would be a problem for Leo if the negotiations were ongoing because this would undermine them. But they weren't, so that takes a lot of the steam out of it.

There will be more to the story, but it'll be about following proper protocol and maybe Leo's judgement, but it won't be about corruption.

• Advertisement

It is hard to get a fair judgement on this as the people going after Leo are mostly those with a long held hatred and vendetta against him

I'm sure this type of stuff goes on all the time from all parties , just probably without the whatsapp image.

I will reserve my judgement on the matter for now.

D you thiink it would be any different if it was MM, Mary Lou, AK47 or Roisin?
    I don't.

smurgen wrote: »
    Did you read that?

"Dr. McGarry also acknowledged that there are issues that remain to be negotiated. " nothing final in it.

There's always something more to be negotiated, but according to the IMO, this deal was done.

He says '.. the IMO has committed to entering into a new strand of negotiations ...'

• Registered Users Posts: 27,208 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

smurgen wrote: »
    Did you read that?

Oh deary me, somebody doesn't understand the press release.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭headtheball14

More of an issue is Leo having to do an interview where he is asked ,
    Has he leaked before,
    Does he leak to his friends or on a wider basis.
    How can he work with the arms of government if he can't and doesn't respect confidentiality of process. Should the law be changed .
    It's pretty obvious be is confident that the rules dont apply to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

blanch152 wrote: »
    Didn't take long for the homophobia angle to appear, did it?

What confidential government documents are you talking about? If a document is in the hands of another party outside of government, it isn't confidential.

It was a confidential document not even released to members of our own parliament or the government and Varadkar is releasing it to a "friend" known to him and the boyfriend Matt.

What sort of joke country is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

blanch152 wrote: »
    Oh deary me, somebody doesn't understand the press release.

Go on. Explain it to us blanch....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I was responding to a poster that was claiming he had broken "Section 4 or 5" of the Act and hadnt even read it, and then got snarky about it.

I shouldn't have gotten snarky with you. It was unnecessary. My bad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

So we can all get confidential documents couriered round to us when even the shadow minister for health does not know the contents and is not even finalised?

Just Whatsapp Leo for instant hand relief and a happy ending

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I feel sorry for the people who have dedicated their whole Saturday on here just waiting for some explosion.

What a waste of time.

Best off getting out and listening to some fireworks for a bit of excitement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Let's not forget that if we had brought in level five restrictions four weeks ago like NPHET advised, we would be going back to fewer restrictions on Monday. Leo was one of the decision-makers at the helm of this so it's his fault everyone is stuck at home right now.

So he's to blame for everyone sharing and commenting on his idiotic leaking.

• Advertisement

tipptom wrote: »
    So we can all get confidential documents couriered round to us when even the shadow minister for health does not know the contents and is not even finalised?

More homophobic jokes.

You lads seriously belong in the last century.

s1ippy wrote: »
    Let's not forget that if we had brought in level five restrictions four weeks ago like NPHET advised, we would be going back to fewer restrictions on Monday. Leo was one of the decision-makers at the helm of this so it's his fault everyone is stuck at home right now.

So he's to blame for everyone sharing and commenting on his idiotic leaking.

Wow that's some shoehorn!!

Wow that's some shoehorn!!

It's pretty relevant though since Leo is suspected of leaking that one too.

It's pretty relevant though since Leo is suspected of leaking that one too.

Suspected by who?

The twitter SF brigade?

Or you?

tipptom wrote: »

According to the Dail record by Donnelly:
    The GPs have not seen it.
    The public have not seen it.
    The Dail has not seen it.

Video of Donnelly being run on Twitter now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,412 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That Mick Caul lad is a crank. Spends his entire day on Twitter ranting and raving. Lot of anger there.

Could be worse, could be spending his entire day on Boards playing the 'nothing to see here' card, eh Johnny?
    sdanseo wrote: »
    OK, so TLDR for those confused - I had to do some research to figure this out.

The allegation is that:
    Leo gave an unfinished copy of an agreement between the HSE and IMO to a friend in the NAGP.
    Why are the IMO and NAGP rival organizations? One represents doctors, one represents doctors who are GPs. Apparently, they are both also de facto unions representing their members' interests and so there would be a conflict of interest for one to know information about an agreement between the other and the HSE, before it was made public.
    The law says confidential information cannot be shared for personal gain or the personal gain of others.
    What's not clear is whether this would have constituted personal gain, but it probably figures that it did, since it could have influenced contractual negotiations on doctors' remuneration by the state.
    More details here - NAGP didn't have a negotiating licence, and collapsed a couple of months later;
    https://twitter.com/Antcon7062/status/1322530598787993601
    Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Ah here. Have you ever heard of a chain of command? The Taoiseach does not require the permission of Simon Harris. FFS man.
    That's not how Government works. Each Minister has specific legal responsibility for their own functions, and the Taoiseach doesn't get to overrule them. Taoiseach can fire them, but can't overrule them.

Far from it. MM has no power to remove him from office.
    Taoiseach can instruct the President to remove any Minister, as he did with Barry Cowen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I feel sorry for the people who have dedicated their whole Saturday on here just waiting for some explosion.

What a waste of time.

Best off getting out and listening to some fireworks for a bit of excitement.

In fairness lad considering the amount of posts from you on the topic I would suggest you avail of your own advice.
    Irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭timmyntc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Whiff of homophobia off this tbh, dude.

If the story was Trump leaking stuff to a busty blonde 29yo friend he “admired”, there wouldn’t be a whiff of heterophobia. If the shoe fits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Lot of clutching at straws going on now. Poor auld Paul Murphy is losing the plot over on Twitter.

Paul Murphy?

The brave hero who hid behind the mob with his megaphone a few years back when Joan Burton was trapped in her car.

Yeah, Paul would be very excited - like any school sneak who spots a weakness

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement