Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

One of the comments in the texting referring to Varadkar "not giving a f**k about refugees".

Unsurprising and a mark of a man who is half-Indian and whose father is an immigrant into our country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

Why didn't he injunct them when they looked for a comment if he was being defamed?

Doesn't add up Maryanne.

Because he's a narcissist and wants this played out in the open
    Also defamation is only after something is published afaik
    Generally only people with something to hide get injunctions whereas if he's certain or his legal team are that he's broke no law,then the village may lawyer up IMO
    Let's see if newspapers run with the accusations rather than reporting the reactions to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭JimToken

One of the comments in the texting referring to Varadkar "not giving a f**k about refugees".

Unsurprising and a mark of a man who is half-Indian and whose father is an immigrant into our country.

What's this about?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

JimToken wrote: »
    What's this about?

Copies of the WhatsApp messages are floating around and this one apparently came from a meeting the doc had with Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

As I said. Substitute Trump and blonde buxom 29yo “friend” and no one would think innuendos and snarky jokes were inappropriate. Stop treating gay people differently than you would straight people.

Why are we substituting Trump in here? Get out of here with that comparison.

In your scenario I doubt anyone would be describing the female as a 29yo straight GP. They would be called a 29yo GP.

• Advertisement

It should be pointed out that Varadkar did not say that, for anyone that might misinterpret your post.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Copies of the WhatsApp messages are floating around and this one apparently came from a meeting the doc had with Leo.

Indians see themselves as half- british (if we're going with this simplistic nationalist labelling)

They don't see themselves as regular refugees/foreigners

tigger123 wrote: »
    Trump has a well documented history of using his position to sexually exploit women (grabbin' em by the p*ssy et al).

Does Leo have the same reputation?

Or is it thrown out there because he's gay?

I think it's pretty clear that it wouldn't even be mentioned by weldoninhio and others if Leo was heterosexual and had provided it to a female GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Am I missing something here, on what planet is it OK to give a Government document marked “Confidential/not for circulation” to a buddy who has no connection whatsoever to Government, is he for real that this is simply “not best practice”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I think it's pretty clear that it wouldn't even be mentioned by weldoninhio and others if Leo was heterosexual and had provided it to a female GP.

In fairness he is pictured with him advertising the fact they are spending pride 2019 together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Jaysis lads, have ye dressed up as the Borg for Halloween?

Sounds like a robot malfunctioning or short circuiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

I really hope this gets the traction it deserves in tomorrows press/perhaps RTEs Brendan O Connor tomorrow......

In fairness he is pictured with him advertising the fact they are spending pride 2019 together.

And?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

As this the rolling rock continues to gather momentum, 2 things at the fore of my thoughts based on previous incidents:

1) if the editorial team in the Village are as smart as any other reputable publication they probably have other info to hand as a riposte to the initial response.

2) as I said earlier in the thread, if a politician is still explaining in 36/48 hours it never ends well.

This is exactly it and this is why Varadkar claim was so vague. He simply doesn't know what ammo they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

And?

He is the one letting everybody know they are gay and friends and both GPs and when somebody else says as much you call him a homophobe.

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    Am I missing something here, on what planet is it OK to give a Government document marked “Confidential/not for circulation” to a buddy who has no connection whatsoever to Government, is he for real that this is simply “not best practice”

No he's not for real

Presumably he's lawyered up before opening his mouth in the first instance

Prob not be letting on for now

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Anyone who had any goodwill towards Leo for his handling of Covid and Brexit will surely kick him to the kerb especially after that interview on Clare Byrne and now this.
    Dunno was it on here or twitter but sum1 insinuated around the time of the election that he wudnt be too bothered if he had lost his seat, probably wanted an out and move on to a more cushy job in Europe or sumwhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭joemurt

JimToken wrote: »
    He'll hardly be taking advice from FF

The owners of FG will be calculating what is best for themselves money wise.

Ride it out or throw Varadkar under the bus.

This decision would be based largely on what they think their partners in Gov will do next. FF could benefit massively if they collapse the Gov on this and spin it right.

Or they could continue letting FG hand them their arses weekly before FG walk out. All depends on Martins vanity.

It should be pointed out that Varadkar did not say that, for anyone that might misinterpret your post.

Has he actually addressed and denied he didn't say it or are you answering pre-emtive on his behalf?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Listen folks, we all know there's nothing to see here..MM as good as said it... Leo just mislaid the document and was wondering where he put it and those nice people in village magazine helped him out by finding it for him :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Anyone who had any goodwill towards Leo for his handling of Covid and Brexit will surely kick him to the kerb especially after that interview on Clare Byrne and now this.
    Dunno was it on here or twitter but sum1 insinuated around the time of the election that he wudnt be too bothered if he had lost his seat, probably wanted an out and move on to a more cushy job in Europe or sumwhere

His interview was spot on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

jams100 wrote: »
    They claim he broke the criminal justice act no? If he did where is the evidence he received compensation?

Compensation is not a necessary element of the Official Secrets Act. Just the Corruption Act AFAIR.

As for Leos statement that it's 'not best practice' - I'm subject to the same act in my workplace and they'd still be laughing at that statement weeks after I was sacked.

Legality doesn't even come into it in this instance IMO. He was morally wrong and he knew he was doing wrong. All trust is gone. #LeoTheLeak and #LeakyLeo is all very funny until it's not. Can anyone ever again trust him with any sort of trade deals, whether that be internal or international ?

He's a politician, some of his staunch defenders reckon this is a storm in a teacup and there was nothing important in it. Lets hypothetically say that he was, for instance, a Doctor. Would it be ok if he was leaking confidential information relating to me as his patient ? Different instances but the principle is still the same. Honesty, Integrity and the ability to keep your mouth shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

smurgen wrote: »
    Where's blanch gone I thought he was going clearing everything up for us mere mortals?

Give him a chance, he has to check for provos under his bed every 15 minutes throughout the day

I bet Damien English is breathing a sigh of relief that the topic of conservation this weekend isnt about him saying clothes are not essential, Leo has done him a big favour here :pac:

I wonder will Simon Harris also have questions to answer on this?

Can't imagine his name not popping up in those message groups discussing government contracts.

Or Flanagan on direct provision corruption?

This is only the start of it as the kids says.

If there's a Government announcement on Monday regarding a billion euro contract for prison upgrades or a compulsory purchase order for the K club to be converted we might have an answer.

He is the one letting everybody know they are gay and friends and both GPs and when somebody else says as much you call him a homophobe.

And what does them both being gay have to do with all of this exactly?

Why is taking a picture with someone "letting everybody know they are gay"?

This is an absolutely bizarre line of thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Goldrickssan

Calleary resigned for breaking covid guidelines (not law). As did an actual EU commissioner.
    Cowen got sacked for a drink driving incident in 2016 where he wasn't even extremely over the limit.

Leo gave confidential documents to someone who had no right to see them - related to a deal with millions of our tax money involved. I don't care if bits of it were already released, negotiations weren't finished and judging by those messages the group were delighted to get their hands on it.

He must go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

yabadabado wrote: »
    What booboo did the publishers make ?

She wont answer your question

Come from the same school as the rest of the "It all homophobia,All men All men.leftys,shinners,loonies etc etc

Have to mention again the two posters that keep saying "its all men",thats a keeper.

Hell will freeze over before Leo would even attempt to let this near court and even if he won he would come out of it in an untenable position politically and would massively damge FG.
    Lawyers looking at it is just a code for (i can delay this and use it to refrain from further comment until it all blows over).

This is a death knell to his career even if he rides it out,Simon is preparing for high office.

joemurt wrote: »
    Has he actually addressed and denied he didn't say it or are you answering pre-emtive on his behalf?

No, I'm saying the comment is from a whatsapp conversation that he was not involved in. As in he literally didnt say it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Ten Pin wrote: »

Worst case outcome for Leo is handing over leadership to Paschal D or Simon C.

Criminal trial and jailtime might be worse...

• Advertisement

sabat wrote: »
    Criminal trial and jailtime might be worse...

Under what law exactly?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement