Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Mr.S wrote: »
    It now goes beyond the Village Magazine - By Leo's own admission he shared the document, but his timeline still doesn't make much sense as he claims the information was in the public domain when he shared.

If it was in the public domain, then his timeline makes sense if it's correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

It now goes beyond the Village Magazine - By Leo's own admission he shared the document, but his timeline still doesn't make much sense as he claims the information was in the public domain when he shared.

Not according to then opposition health spokesman Stephen Donnelly on 16th April.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    You're saying that a little too confidently imo. It's certainly not as black and white as you seem to think it is.

Section 4 provides:

4.—(1) A person shall not communicate any official information to any other person unless he is duly authorised to do so or does so in the course of and in accordance with his duties as the holder of a public office or when it is his duty in the interest of the State to communicate it.

(2) A person to whom subsection (1) applies shall take reasonable care to avoid any unlawful communication of such information.

(3) A person shall not obtain official information where he is aware or has reasonable grounds for believing that the communication of such information to him would be a contravention of subsection (1).

(4) In this section “duly authorised” means authorised by a Minister or State authority or by some person authorised in that behalf by a Minister or State authority.

Section 2 defines 'official information' as; "any secret official code word or password, and any sketch, plan, model, article, note, document or information
    which is secret or confidential
    or is expressed to be either and which is or has been in the possession, custody or control of a holder of a public office, or to which he has or had access, by virtue of his office, and includes information recorded by film or magnetic tape or by any other recording medium".

Furthermore, Section 2 defines a 'public office' as "an office or employment which is wholly remunerated out of the Central Fund or out of moneys provided by the Oireachtas, or an appointment to, or employment under, any commission, committee or tribunal set up by the Government or a Minister for the purposes of any inquiry, but does not include membership of either House of the Oireachtas."

As a TD, Varadkar's position would not be within the scope of 'public office' as set out above. However, as Taoiseach??

2 things here.

1. The Taoiseach is very clearly a member of the Oireachtas and the definition of public office does not apply as a result. This means Section 4 of the Act is irrelevant here.
    2. Even if you wanted to argue Section 4 does apply, who do you think the Taoiseach needs to request authorisation from in Section 4(4)?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭jams100

sabat wrote: »
    What "side" of this whole thing is the one where Varadkar did nothing wrong?

I'm not saying he done nothing wrong, I'm pointing out there is no evidence he broke the criminal justice act as they seem to be claiming, if they are wrong about that or cannot furnish any evidence then it brings the entire article into question. I'm not for a second saying he done nothing wrong, but people jump to conclusions too quickly in this country sometimes, need more information to get the full story

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Haven't seen anything other than the piece on rte news. I got to the statements from sinn feinn and soc Dems and I end up just thinking, oh for god's sake, give over with the fake outrage. It's really slimey watching the faux outrage and holier than thou positions taken by some of the biggest wasters and leeches in there. I'd be ashamed of my life having to conduct myself like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

From a user on Reddit:

Worth noting that according to Oireachtas records, Steven Donnelly stated in response to Simon Harris on 16 April 2019:

This means that according the Varadkar's own timeline, he had provided this document to his friend before the Oireachtas, the GPs or the public at large had seen it.

(source: https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2019-04-16/32/)

This link is not working?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

As a TD, Varadkar's position would not be within the scope of 'public office' as set out above. However, as Taoiseach??

As Taoiseach, the phrase 'unless he is duly authorised' is relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    2 things here.

1. The Taoiseach is very clearly a member of the Oireachtas and the definition of public office does not apply as a result. This means Section 4 of the Act is irrelevant here.
    2. Even if you wanted to argue Section 4 does apply, who do you think the Taoiseach needs to request authorisation from in Section 4(4)?

That's the question, is the Taoiseach a member of the Oireachtas? The Taoiseach is the head of the Government.

Section 4 or 5

Have you even read the act? I doubt you have, cos if you did you could see that neither of those sections apply.

You can't even decide yourself which section to pin on him!

That's the question, is the Taoiseach a member of the Oireachtas? The Taoiseach is the head of the Government.

And what about the 2nd point? Which makes your argument irrelevant either way?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Haven't seen anything other than the piece on rte news. I got to the statements from sinn feinn and soc Dems and I end up just thinking, oh for god's sake, give over with the fake outrage. It's really slimey watching the faux outrage and holier than thou positions taken by some of the biggest wasters and leeches in there. I'd be ashamed of my life having to conduct myself like that.

Sure they are all bastards. Sf folk resigned during the week because they were claiming covid payments that they weren't eligible for.

Every time someone in public office is caught out they should be hammered for it. No point in the oh look over there attitude.

That's if leo did anything wrong. Maybe he didn't. Like the time he contacted clare county council on behalf of Trump and doonbeg. Hes a pup

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It is certainly the end of the line for Maitiú O' Tuathail. No one will be able to trust him anymore. Or Chay Bowes ( who?). You only get to blow your whistle once.

Interesting scoop all the same, very non story though and snapshots of Wassap images are stinky poo. Am I wrong in thinking that I saw one with Leo's name at the top? How did they get there hands on a screenshot from Leo's phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Have you even read the act? I doubt you have, cos if you did you could see that neither of those sections apply.

You can't even decide yourself which section to pin on him!

Yes I'm in the library right now studying up on the law. Il be personally representing the state vs Leo.

If I want legal advice il contact a solicitor. If I want to try a different size shoe il give you a shout

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Leo confirms the accuracy of the story but then says it's defamatory.

And what about the 2nd point? Which makes your argument irrelevant either way?

If the Taoiseach does in fact come within the scope of Section 4, he's in trouble imo.

Section 4(4) provides that “duly authorised” means authorised by a Minister or State authority or by some person authorised in that behalf by a Minister or State authority.

I would imagine that Simon Harris was the relevant Minister here. Do you think he gave Varadkar permission to circulate the agreement to his buddies, before it was even available to the Oireachtas? Objectively, I would say that's unlikely.

Yes I'm in the library right now studying up on the law. Il be personally representing the state vs Leo.

Interesting. I suppose when you cant back up your original point, the only go to option then is snark.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It looks like the end of Leo.

Sunday papers will have it tomorrow.

If the Taoiseach does in fact come within the scope of Section 4, he's in trouble imo.

Section 4(4) provides that “duly authorised” means authorised by a Minister or State authority or by some person authorised in that behalf by a Minister or State authority.

I would imagine that Simon Harris was the relevant Minister here. Do you think he gave Varadkar permission to circulate the agreement to his buddies, before it was even available to the Oireachtas? Objectively, I would say that's unlikely.

Ah here. Have you ever heard of a chain of command? The Taoiseach does not require the permission of Simon Harris. FFS man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    It's always amusing that the same 2/3 posters rapidly appear at the same time whenever FG or one of their members get themselves into bother, and always immediately with the "nothing to see here" mantra while the story itself is still breaking.

Leo's statement later and the reactions/response will tell if there's something to it, but it certainly doesn't look good for him on the face of it, and it would be a foolish publication to come out with a story like this about the former (and future) Taoiseach with nothing to substantiate it.

source.mp4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

It'll all come out when Leo Sues
    I just hope he states at the outset that the damages are being donated to charity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭tigger123

It looks like the end of Leo.

Sunday papers will have it tomorrow.

FG will row in behind him, leaving FF and the Greens with either the option of collapsing the Government and putting a General Election in front of eveyone in the middle of a pandemic, or accepting his explanation.

Ah here. Have you ever heard of a chain of command? The Taoiseach does not require the permission of Simon Harris. FFS man.

You're making presumptions here. That's why I've said that it's not black and white.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Are you really asking if Leo Varadkar T.D. is a member of the Oireachtas?

Phoebas wrote: »

I'm asking if Leo Varadkar, in his capacity as Taoiseach, was a member of the Oireachtas. Can't you read? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Jim O'Callaghan calling now for Leo to make a statement to clarify the issue.

Is Jimbo touting for business as Leo's Senior Counsel?

Phoebas wrote: »

Its laughable, isnt it. Don't know why I bother with these things sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

No my friend. I'm not. Watch this one fizzle out. Nothing to see here folks. Just a load of manufactured outrage over a a load of nonsense.

The shinners will try and run with it, but no one gives a sh1te.

This lads understanding of political science and forecasts are at a Chomsky-esque level.

“She only fell off a swing”
    “It was only a round of golf”
    “It’s only a load of nonsense”

There are some here that speculate that himself and the rest of the usual suspects who have disappeared are in fact working for FG in some social media spam and deflection capacity.

You’d hope to god FG would be able to produce something in their offices which isn’t at this level of delusion, misunderstanding and ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Goldrickssan

"I only broke the law in a limited and specific way"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

While you are quite correct in your description of some of the oxygen thieves in Dail Eireann, it is unarguable that Leo has serious questions to answer about his actions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,278 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It's definitely true that the main contents of the contract were in the media before it was signed (and subsequently published)

The contract was lucrative, roughly 50m per annum increases to GPs for four years so IMO would have had huge incentive to put that out to their members and media to show they were doing a good job.

There doesn't really seem to have been any negative effect from it (other than, or course, if it was technically illegal) bit doesn't help him given his recent criticism for budget leaks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement