Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Can show me evidence to the contrary? My opinion is that Leo Varadkar TD = A member of the Oireachtas. Leo Varadkar Taoiseach = Not a member of the Oireachtas.

I would love to hear the opinion of someone actually qualified to answer this question.

Oh stop.
    T.D. - Teachta Dála, a member of the Oireachtas.

Anyone with a primary school education is qualified to answer the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Phoebas wrote: »
    Oh stop.
    T.D. - Teachta Dála, a member of the Oireachtas.

Anyone with a primary school education is qualified to answer the question.

You shouldn't comment on things you don't understand. If it's so simple, where is the answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

LOL the irony

Yeh. Gamekeeper turned poacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Strong statement by An Tánaiste. I'd say there's a few very worried people in the Village magazine. They're not going to like the letters heading their way.

What'll they be getting a Maria Bailey comic sans font type statement? :D

I'm afraid this one isn't going to be the big explosive exposé that the conspiracy theorists want. A good statement this afternoon and then get back to the important work of fighting Coronavirus. Will be forgotten by next week.

Please remind me Paddy, how did those similar "nothing to see here" declarations go for you in the early days of the Maria Bailey scandal and its respective thread?

Aged like fúcking milk that one did :D

• Advertisement

You shouldn't comment on things you don't understand. If it's so simple, where is the answer?

I've just given you the answer. Turns out it is so simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭tigger123

1st year Civics class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

tigger123 wrote: »
    1st year Civics class.

I sound like a dose here but I'm genuinely eager to find the answer and nobody has been able to provide me with one thus far.

Taoiseach = Member of the executive, not the legislature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Dempo1 wrote: »
    There's clearly a complete main stream media blackout on this story, absolutely no other outlet mentioning it. I've never hesrd of the publication so took a peak at their Alledged website, mother of God, it's dreadful and to be honest I'm finding it difficult to take any of this seriously.

What exactly is so “dreadful” about it? I’d never heard of it either but It looks like a bog standard political opinion piece and doesn’t seem to promote any conspiracy theory mad cap national enquirer like nonsense or hate speech. The language used and the journalism is of a standard you would see in any publication which has a lot of daily readers/subscribers. It’s inoffensive and some of the pieces are interesting and without bias. The website itself is well designed and professional.

What in your expert opinion is so “dreadful” about the site? Can you give some specifics? Or is it just because it is not a site or publication of note so just slam them for being small?

What is worrying is that you correctly pointed out that there was an entire media blackout on this story apart from this never been heard of for most of us including me Village.

That is until Leo was allowed to issue a statement, that’s not free speech and journalism, that’s censorship and that’s the media in Ireland right now, RTE, Irish times absolutely nothing. That’s what’s “dreadful”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Please remind me Paddy, how did those similar "nothing to see here" declarations go for you in the early days of the Maria Bailey scandal and its respective thread?

Ha! Only oddball men (always men) got worked up about that non issue. Ha!

• Advertisement

I suppose it would be expecting too much to see a resignation following on from this if there's any truth in these allegations at all.

Three Shinners took the long walk from the short plank for £30k only a few days back.

What's the penalty for breaching this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Lot of clutching at straws going on now. Poor auld Paul Murphy is losing the plot over on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Strong statement by An Tánaiste. I'd say there's a few very worried people in the Village magazine. They're not going to like the letters heading their way.

OK so. https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1322585211801055232

Ha! Only oddball men (always men) got worked up about that non issue. Ha!

Insurance cheat cheat us all Paddy.not just us men :P

What exactly is so “dreadful” about it? I’d never heard of it either but It looks like a bog standard political opinion piece ...
    One red flag for me was that they didn't ask for comments from the two people involved.
    That would be standard enough journalistic practice if you're writing a news piece; not so much if your writing a hit piece.

The Village have alot lot less to worry about than Varadkar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I suppose it would be expecting too much to see a resignation following on from this if there's any truth in these allegations at all.

Three Shinners took the long walk from the short plank for £30k only a few days back.

What's the penalty for breaching this?

Big pension and a Makey -up job in America,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

One red flag for me was that they didn't ask for comments from the two people involved.
    That would be standard enough journalistic practice if you're writing a news piece; not so much if your writing a hit piece.

https://www.thejournal.ie/leo-varadkar-imo-village-magazine-5250661-Oct2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

That's been brought up multiple times and he's never responded to it. I wonder why lol.

Big pension and a Makey -up job in America,

Big companies wouldn't look favorable on people unable to keep commercially sensitive documentation to yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭timmyntc

They contacted Leo Varadkar in advance of publishing the article but he did not respond.
    It's even mentioned in the article. Did you read it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Can you share a full list of reliable journalistic sources in Ireland?

Any source that praises FG is generally reliable and to be trusted

This story is a non event. Oh look at the Polar Bear over there!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

Mr.S wrote: »
    From a user on Reddit:

Worth noting that according to Oireachtas records, Steven Donnelly stated in response to Simon Harris on 16 April 2019:

This means that according the Varadkar's own timeline, he had provided this document to his friend before the Oireachtas, the GPs or the public at large had seen it.

(source: https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2019-04-16/32/)

I tried to follow that link and got the attached....either the link is broken or there maybe cover ups happening 🀔

The IMO issued a press release on 5 April 2019 that the deal had been done with an outline of the contents.

https://www.imo.ie/news-media/news-press-releases/2019/statement-imo-reaches-210/index.xml

Lot of clutching at straws going on now. Poor auld Paul Murphy is losing the plot over on Twitter.

Bless. He’s a tad late to the party.

In any legal action they will have numerous defences available to them (truth, qualified privilege, fair and reasonable publication on a matter of public interest). Varadkar won't want a discovery process either.

Any threats of legal action are essentially bluster. The Village have little to be worried about.

The IMO issued a press release on 5 April 2019 that the deal had been done with an outline of the contents.

https://www.imo.ie/news-media/news-press-releases/2019/statement-imo-reaches-210/index.xml

Not according to Stephen Donnelly's statement to DE. Some more milage on this story I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

But that's a press release, as opposed to the document.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭antimatterx

It looks like the end of Leo.

Sunday papers will have it tomorrow.

Far from it. MM has no power to remove him from office.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement