Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three dead as woman beheaded in France

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 deBeauvoir

Wibbs wrote: »
    I would not start shouting about oppression or whatever and complaining it's not Irish/European enough. I chose to live there. Again that goes for any culture or country that differs from my own. When in Rome... Well don't piss off the Romans, call their values into question and publicly decapitate pensioners going to pray.

Yes, if you chose to live there you follow their oppressive system, unfortunately. But we live in a different system that allows people to influence our culture and politics.

Women, Jews, atheists, blacks, and people from the LGBTQ movement didn't respect the dominant culture and its conservative values, yet they have managed to change it and redefine our society - which they were entitled to do so. They were accused of destroying all the values of the west and its culture. They pissed off a lot of people along the way. Now that we have reached your personal "sweet spot" nobody else is allowed to go any further. Once you shape society to your liking and become the status quo then suddenly nobody else is allowed to challenge your newfound hegemony. You selfishly get to pick and choose who gets to participate in shaping our "values" in this democracy.
    When the fundamental cornerstone of European culture that is freedom of expression no matter what(and daft cartoons are in that mix), a freedom that many millions within a long lifetime ago fought and died face down in the mud for is being threatened by a proportion of any demographic living among us with external influences backing them, that is not the time to start capitulating.

There are obviously limits to freedom of expression and the purpose of it is taken into account. Agitating people shouldn't count. Are you allowed to mock people in schools? Like what they wear? (that's a choice)

And what about this fantastic critic of Muslims through freedom of expression by the right-wing!
    A pig's head was hung from one headstone in France's WWI cemetery for 148 Muslim graves
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7333344.stm

Additionally, your passionate example of people dying for enlightenment values doesn't really hold true. If they knew what values we hold now (Equality - women & LGBTA and Diversity and Multiculturalisms), they would probably put down their guns and join the enemy. Almost all of them would be considered bigoted by today's standards so let's not sugar coat the past and pretend they always hand the same shared value and racism didn't exist.

There are many European people that are not fond of our so-called shared "enlightenment values" and do not subscribe to them on both the left and the right. Many disagree also with Individualism which is also sold to us as a common value. And not everybody is obsessed with material progress. It just so happens that some neoliberals with lots of capital managed to shape our values towards those ideas. So don't worry about Muslims changing "our" values when plenty of native Europeans want to do so as well and all have different visions for the future. You don't own a monopoly on "Our" values. And we have changed our values many times throughout history and will continue to do so.
    So like I said before; on the one hand you do seem to agree with me that multicultural societies don't actually work too well and some demographics will never quite fit in and we should keep them at a distance? Oh and of course be real careful about winding them up.

Limit the numbers of new non legal migrants coming in. Any new migrants that we do accept that commit crimes get deported. No debate. No years of appeals. Ruthlessly root out ringleaders and firebrands and hit them hard and often. Seriously limit the financial aid from overseas to such groups.

You seem to focus on all the newcomers but what about all the 4 million Muslims that are already in France and most are citizens already.

Fit into whos standard? You can give extreme examples but what about the Muslims who are here already in Europe who want to practice their "non-violent" traditions and promote their values to attract new members like any other religious group. I feel this is more to do with atheists feeling like they may lose their influence to shape society to becoming more atheistic as they generally have the same gripe with Christians.

Ruthless policing hasn't worked out for the Black community either and there's a high chance innocent Muslims will get caught up in this like Guantanamo bay.

I mean clamp down on Erdogan, but don't drag innocent people into this.
    Can't recall too many Catholics getting murderous over it. Jews have an easier time in that sense, but again they don't exactly number among their community too many criminals and murderers, or calls for Irish cultural change. Indeed down the decades and centuries they've contributed to Irish culture.

I don't think history is as clean as you describe it. Ireland has had conflicts between Protestants and Catholics for cultural supremacy that has stretched back awhile.

Not to mention, in America you had many gangs of Europeans Irish, Italians, Chinese, etc... who fought among each other, and after a while, it settled down each having places of their own culturally - little Italy, Chinatown, etc... But it was none the less a bloody history to get there.

Jews on the other hand have remained relatively non-existent for much of Ireland's history with the Jewish population reaching around 5,500 in the 1940s.

Technically, Jews have played a role in shaping our modern culture. Many Jewish thinkers have worked on the promotion of human rights for women, blacks, and the LGBTA community, and many other minority groups probably influenced by their own experiences. The promotion of multiculturalism, denazification, and the fight against racism in all its forms by also establishing many organizations across Europe and the USA. So they have made calls for Irish "mostly European" cultural change. And much of their efforts wouldn't be appreciated by the Irish of the past. And the right-wing in Europe and America seem to have a problem with Jews promoting these values like human rights :rolleyes:

ROME
    People tend to speculate a lot about the collapse of the Roman Empire. The right-wing would assert that it was women's involvement into politics that lead to the collapse of the Empire.

This speculation is further complicated by the fact that the roman empire broke up into two parts. Where the Byzantine empire continued to the east after the western empire collapsed.

Some could argue that it was the Romans xenophobia and maltreatment of foreigner groups like the Goths for example that lead to the collapse of Rome. Where they made the Goth trade their sons into slavery for dog meat
    https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Page:Roman_History_of_Ammianus_Marcellinus.djvu/599

Maybe it was all the bad decisions of the Roman leadership the lead to their own downfall!

I also don't think we should consider ourselves as the Roman Empire giving way to an imperialist mindset where we feel entitled to invade and capture foreign lands.

Amish
    I don't remember the imperial west being involved in a geopolitical conflict with the Amish including airstrikes and the thief of resources that has to lead to a major humanitarian crisis in their home country. All this exists in a larger context.

I think this discussion should probably be moved into the Multicultural thread and continued there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Ahh history. Where did it go wrong? The desire for fundamentalist belief, and the need to dominate others of different religions/cultures. And I've been to various countries in the M.East. Gorgeous Architecture and wonderful food.. so what? They still have barbarous customs and attitudes.

Where indeed? I remember reading that the Muslims were very good to their prisoners-of-war during the crusades. They fed them well, kept them safe and freed most of them at the end. They were horrified when they learned that the Christian armies treated the muslim prisoners so badly - tortured, starved and often massacred. They seem to have found their savagery in recent times.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Nermal

Things this thread has blamed, to avoid blaming the obvious culprit:
    Cartoonists
    Catholics
    Christians
    Organised religion in general
    Lack of education
    Poverty
    The far-right
    Psychopathy
    Mass shooters in the US
    Colonialism
    The IRA
    Secularism
    Toxic masculinity
    Videogames
    The UFC
    Traumatised refugees
    Western intervention in the Middle East
    Israelis
    Jewish people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Nothing will change in Europe and the trend will continue until you can get woman on board. Once it becomes an issue where large groups of women around Europe speak up about how they are looked down on and feel threatened by Islamists we might see collective action. Until then governments and media can just pass the outrage of as far right or racism.

Get the Euro ladies on board

• Registered Users Posts: 13,284 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Granadino wrote: »
    Ah right, so the Palestinians are terrorists now? What about the Indonesians. You haven't mentioned them yet, or the Albanians...

On a side note. Anyone ever visited the Alhambra in Granada? One of the most beautiful buildings I've been in, (Italy etc included). Way ahead of their time in civilising the natives in Iberia at the time. Where did it all go wrong you say....

After Islam's first century of conquest and war, its leaders softened on the faith. That was reestablished in line from the 12th century on in a more solid and true form.

After a century of weakening we are once again seeing the push back to the true faith.

• Advertisement

Where indeed? I remember reading that the Muslims were very good to their prisoners-of-war during the crusades. They fed them well, kept them safe and freed most of them at the end. They were horrified when they learned that the Christian armies treated the muslim prisoners so badly - tortured, starved and often massacred. They seem to have found their savagery in recent times.

You're conveniently ignoring the rise of fundamentalist thinking... and the internal destruction of everything impressive about their civilisations.

They've had a number of amazing civilisations at different periods throughout history, but in every case, they were destroyed not by external forces, but by the fanatics within the religion itself. The crusades, in spite of the romanticism promoted in the west, were mostly a failure, and their gains didn't last very long. And while there was some greatness among the Islamic aristocracy, they had their own share of torturers, and fanatics willing to do horrible things to those they captured.

They were religions of their times.. alas Islam has remained a religion of that time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Nermal wrote: »
    Things this thread has blamed, to avoid blaming the obvious culprit:
    Cartoonists
    Catholics
    Christians
    Organised religion in general
    Lack of education
    Poverty
    The far-right
    Psychopathy
    Mass shooters in the US
    Colonialism
    The IRA
    Secularism
    Toxic masculinity
    Videogames
    The UFC
    Traumatised refugees
    Western intervention in the Middle East
    Israelis
    Jewish people

you forgot atheism
    Stalin
    hitler
    Call of duty

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

Damien360 wrote: »
    The Imam in blanchardstown is a English speaking, well spoken man that came across on RTE as a Muslim with a conservative view and very much protested against the atrocities done by fellow Muslims. He has an open dislike and distrust of the clonskeagh Imam who has zero English despite being in the country decades. The Blanch Imam questioned the teaching and aggression coming from the Clonskeagh mosque.

I have my doubts about this.

There is a 2002 interview of him by students of DCU School of Communications, and at one point, following closely everything that Ali Selim has said, he breaks into English himself for a split second, catches himself just in time and smiles at the interviewer.

You can see it here, at 14:30...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVo6H44yZYI

So I think he knows a lot more than he lets on to, and I do wonder why that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

It’s high time European leaders came out and said “this is the way society is in France etc. If you don’t like it then you are free to leave.” I think people might have more respect for them then.

They were religions of their times.. alas Islam has remained a religion of that time.

Islam's key strength and foundation of it's success is the prohibition on reform, the death penalty for leaving it, apostasy and lots of other things.

It meanders over time but never strays too far as someone next to you might kill you for doing it.

It's also why the faith is such a committed threat to civilisation, human rights, freedoms and basic decency.

• Advertisement

It’s high time European leaders came out and said “this is the way society is in France etc. If you don’t like it then you are free to leave.” I think people might have more respect for them then.

The left will despise them for saying that and the Islamic faithful won't care.

That doesn't mean it shouldn't be said and acted on.

Nothing will change in Europe and the trend will continue until you can get woman on board. Once it becomes an issue where large groups of women around Europe speak up about how they are looked down on and feel threatened by Islamists we might see collective action. Until then governments and media can just pass the outrage of as far right or racism.

Get the Euro ladies on board

Ironically, the European women are/will be the ones who suffer most. And from what I've noticed, it's mainly women (the "progressive" type) who champion bringing more of these migrants into Europe and Ireland. Bizarre stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Danzy wrote: »
    The left will despise them for saying that and the Islamic faithful won't care.

That doesn't mean it shouldn't be said and acted on.

I am left/centre left leaning but I think it needs to be said at an official level. Pay for their flights if they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Daragh1980

Are....are you....are you really....

I'll start again...

*Deep breath*

Are you really using the death of three people in a church in France at the hands of an Islamic terrorist, as a way to have a pop at Sinn Fein and their supporters?

Man, take a look in the mirror and give yourself a talking to.

So you condone the beheadings?

Do you think that’s something to be proud of?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭raclle

For some reason muslims hate atheists way way more than they hate Christians or any other religion. Not sure why.
    I'd say its because they don't have an imaginary god to believe in but what if they believe in the tooth fairy and go around ripping teeth out of peoples heads. Would that be considered blasphemy?
    deBeauvoir wrote: »
    Women, Jews, atheists, blacks, and people from the LGBTQ movement didn't respect the dominant culture and its conservative values, yet they have managed to change it and redefine our society - which they were entitled to do so.
    So what you're really saying is if I go into your house while you're not around its now my house?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

I am left/centre left leaning but I think it needs to be said at an official level. Pay for their flights if they want.

Be a brave pilot and crew to fly those planes full of disgruntled murkha dhurks back to "paradise".

when the irish navy sees these muslims in their rafts and boats in the med, they should use them for target practice.

claim god told them to do it, and its their beliefs, and see how many people would have a problem with killing in the name of god then.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Hitler was a Neo-Pagan

No, he wasn't.

He was born a Catholic to a staunch practicing mother, Klara. Was Baptised, communed and confirmed within the Catholic Church. And never renounced that faith in 56 years.

He wasn't a practicing Catholic in his later years, but he and the nazis were well disposed to what they called "Positives Christentum", whereby the Church was separated from the State, but still integral to social norms. He disliked the power of the Church (as do a lot of Christians today), but understood the "good" effects it had upon on people who were part of it.

Hitler actually called himself a Christian in Mein Kampf and invoked God on a number of occasions throughout his career. But, it's fair to say the he wasn't overly fond of organised religion, while understanding that the Churches (Catholic and Protestant) were intertwined with German society. His main stance on the Church was one of opportunism, but at no point did he denounce it or God, either in private or public life. But he did on occasion mention them in unflattering terms.

The Wehrmacht even went to war with "Gott Mit Uns" (God is with us) written on their uniforms.

So, no...Hitler was neither an atheist, as claimed earlier. Nor was he a "pagan", neo or otherwise. However there were Neo-Pagans within the party, most notably Alfred Rosenberg. There were also myth obsessed students like Himmler, but Hitler is on record as making fun of both personalities beliefs and he didn't share their interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

boardise wrote: »
    The fact that J Stalin trained to be a priest doesn't preclude the possibility that he changed his mind in later life. Just saying.
    Likewise, as is well attested ,many people emerge from a Catholic upbringing in a state of lapsed practice and general apathy ..they are Catholic in name only . The key activities of their life is not driven by Catholic doctrine -which they might struggle to articulate or understand.

While this may be true, there is no record of Stalin ever claiming an atheism. There have been attempts to portray him as such throughout the years and the Communist Party was interested in the complete separation of Church and State. But Stalin, himself, never made any pronouncement about a non-belief.

That doesn't mean that he was on his knees praying to a God every Sunday.

I think it would be fair to say that both men, Hitler and Stalin, could be called "lapsed" and to a certain degree agnostic. But that's not the same as atheist.

Anyway, that's enough off topic yap from me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭Cordell

No matter what he was his ideology was his own, not based on his religion or lack thereof.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

when the irish navy sees these muslims in their rafts and boats in the med, they should use them for target practice.

claim god told them to do it, and its their beliefs, and see how many people would have a problem with killing in the name of god then.

I know it is a cack handed way of making some point but you are actually saying the Irish navy personnel should shoot people in rafts because they are Muslims.

Have you mental health issues? Seriously, get help.

I think with both Hitler and Stalin, it's worth remembering that the Church (both the RCC and the Orthodox) were formal institutions with direct links to the imperial rulers, and monarchies of Europe. The Church propped up the imperial classes and had an interest in maintaining the status quo.

In both cases, to abolish the old system, and introduce something different, they would have needed to diminish or destroy the power that the Church held. Both belief systems that they wanted established, replaced the place of the Church in general society with either the "party" or the "hero worship" of the great leader (through fear, love or indoctrination).

They might have had their personal beliefs regarding God, but religion was a different matter. One that needed to be put in a box, to avoid any interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭AllForIt

why is it no one has an issue with atheists coming here
    or buddhists ?
    no one has an issue with the society of friends (quakers)

why is it always the muslims ?
    But mention this and they think they are immune to criticism.

The saddest part are the "woke" women fighting their cause, the same women who would be treated like absolute dirt, by the same mentalists.

They would prolly say it's because they are brown skinned. Because we only like people who reflect all the spectrum of light frequencies.

AllForIt wrote: »
    They would prolly say it's because they are brown skinned. Because we only like people who reflect all the spectrum of light frequencies.

nonsense.

No one has a problem with the indians who are mostly hindu or sikh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Let your mind drift a minute.
    Imagine there were no dangerous islamists in the world. Simply don't exist. There was never a terrorist attack ever carried out by any islamist ever. it simply didn't exist. There was no fear of importing any to Ireland or Europe, again, it simply wasn't a threat and there was no reason for the people to be fearful or concerned.
    How would life be? Would it be nice? Is that something we should strive for and encourage through politicians?

Heck go the whole hog, imagine there was equally no threat or fear for your safety or property as generated by our own ethnic agitators.

What a world it would be.

Putting your freedom of expression to good use I see! :rolleyes:

Most people who want to deport the Muslims sound like Enoch Powell hiding their true intentions and unwilling to confront the ones that already are citizens!

raclle wrote: »
    So what you're really saying is if I go into your house while you're not around its now my house?

I don't know how to work with this bad analogy, but I'll try! If the house (country) is vacant then I guess it's up for grabs. When occupants claim it, they all have a system (democracy) to decide who they can share their home with! They may change their minds multiple times although it would be unfair to kick out those you invited to stay and were born here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

I don't know how to work with this bad analogy, but I'll try! If the house (country) is vacant then I guess it's up for grabs. When occupants claim it, they all have a system (democracy) to decide who they can share their home with! They may change their minds multiple times although it would be unfair to kick out those you invited to stay and were born here.

Irish voters, mainly tax payers were never asked.

statesaver wrote: »
    Irish voters, mainly tax payers were never asked.

We're part of the European Union and we've made agreements. We've voted for our leaders Macron, Merkel, and Enda Kenny. It's not the Muslims' fault. Very ironic the Macron is now turning on them to win vetos! But I guess it's the better of two evils.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

We're part of the European Union and we've made agreements. We've voted for our leaders Macron, Merkel, and Enda Kenny. It's not the Muslims' fault. Very ironic the Macron is now turning on them to win vetos! But I guess it's the better of two evils.

What two evils, western civilisation or savages ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement