Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who thinks Trump will win?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

That was my thought. The current administration ends on 21 January no matter what the election outcome.

So that would leave Pelosi.

and give up her position as speaker of the house for a temporary position as president? I dont think is very likely. There is no reason that congress couldn't decide that Biden should be president.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭EasycomeEasygo

Not correct. If it is not decided by Jan 20th then Congress decides as per the 20th amendment.

It is not as clear cut as that

You've skipped a step, on 6th of January the Vice President counts the electoral votes and if there is no clear outcome he can to put it simply make himself acting vice president and this can be contested and that's when the fun and games will start. Congress deciding can also be contested. Both would go to the supreme court to decide. There is an awful lot more to it than that but if there is no clear outcome by inauguration day it could end up falling on the secretary to state to act as President. it is a lot more likely that would happen than the speaker of the house. None of these have every been tested and the supreme court wouldn't be able to make a ruling in just a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

You've skipped a step, on 6th of January the Vice President counts the electoral votes and if there is no clear outcome he can to put it simply make himself acting vice president and this can be contested and that's when the fun and games will start. Congress deciding can also be contested. Both would go to the supreme court to decide. There is an awful lot more to it than that but if there is no clear outcome by inauguration day it could end up falling on the secretary to state to act as President. it is a lot more likely that would happen than the speaker of the house. None of these have every been tested and the supreme court wouldn't be able to make a ruling in just a few days

It really is.

There’s a process that will be followed that will result in Pelosi being President.

Saying it could be challenged is you trying to muddy the waters.

Do you have a source for that?
    the 20th amendment is very clear. If no decision by the 20th then congress decides. The House picks the president and the Senate picks the Vice-President. Until congress reaches a decision the speaker of the house is President. the previous administration is ended on the 20th.

Smee_Again wrote: »
    It really is.

There’s a process that will be followed that will result in Pelosi being President.

Saying it could be challenged is you trying to muddy the waters.

When something has never been put into action it is not clear cut

• Advertisement

Do you have a source for that?
    the 20th amendment is very clear. If no decision by the 20th then congress decides. The House picks the president and the Senate picks the Vice-President. Until congress reaches a decision the speaker of the house is President. the previous administration is ended on the 20th.

I will write it out but it will take quite a while, if it's ok with you I will do it tonight

I will write it out but it will take quite a while, if it's ok with you I will do it tonight

a ink to what you are referring to will suffice.

When something has never been put into action it is not clear cut

It’s very clear cut.

Also very unlikely to happen so it’s a non-issue.

a ink to what you are referring to will suffice.

I will provide links as well but they will be to the constitution so it will take time to find the relevant parts. There are a number of very interesting scenarios there.
    They won't be links to news articles

• Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

That was my thought. The current administration ends on 21 January no matter what the election outcome.

So that would leave Pelosi.

If there is no clear winner from the electoral college the House of Reps will decide the election between Trump and Biden based on the 12th Amendment. It's unlikely to get to that though - either Trump or Biden will win the electoral college.

• Advertisement

The 1824 election was decided by Congress under the 12th Amendment as no candidate won the electoral college.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 speelunker22

You can take nothing as given with this election. The choices are poor so it's more a case of choosing the "least worst" for a lot of people.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The 1824 election was decided by Congress under the 12th Amendment as no candidate won the electoral college.

There has been relevant amendments to the constitution since then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭vojiwox

You can take nothing as given with this election. The choices are poor so it's more a case of choosing the "least worst" for a lot of people.

I think choosing the least worse makes it a given! :pac:

perhaps you can come back to your assertion that the vice president can make himself acting vice president if the results of the electoral college vote are inconclusive. I have looked ant what i believe to be an authoritative source and I see no mention of the vice-president having this power.

https://history.house.gov/Institution/Electoral-College/Electoral-College/#:~:text=the%20Electoral%20College.-,Electors,President%20and%20one%20for%20President.
    Since the mid-20th century, on January 6 at 1:00 pm before a Joint Session of Congress, the Vice President opens the votes from each state in alphabetical order. He passes the votes to four tellers—two from the House and two from the Senate—who announce the results. House tellers include one Representative from each party and are appointed by the Speaker. At the end of the count, the Vice President then declares the name of the next President.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 speelunker22

vojiwox wrote: »
    I think choosing the least worse makes it a given! :pac:

True!

Any right-leaning Americans I have spoken to prior to the 2016 election were just terrified that Hilary would take their guns and would literally have voted for anybody to prevent that perceived threat. I don't think much has changed on that front for 2020 but a lot of Republicans will be more wary of Kamala Harris than Joe Biden.

Which ones?

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Which ones?

the 20th for one. That still doesnt backup anything that EasyComeEasyGo has asserted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Will there be a fresh poll on election day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

Two weakest candidates in living memory for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,860 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Will there be a fresh poll on election day?

Yes, it's called an election.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

cnocbui wrote: »
    Yes, it's called an election.

I think they're refeering to the poll on this thread

I will provide links as well but they will be to the constitution so it will take time to find the relevant parts. There are a number of very interesting scenarios there.
    They won't be links to news articles

just tell me what section of the constitution you are relying on. I dont require anything more than that

perhaps you can come back to your assertion that the vice president can make himself acting vice president if the results of the electoral college vote are inconclusive. I have looked ant what i believe to be an authoritative source and I see no mention of the vice-president having this power.

https://history.house.gov/Institution/Electoral-College/Electoral-College/#:~:text=the%20Electoral%20College.-,Electors,President%20and%20one%20for%20President.

I will come back to everything I have said, I promise but I do not have the time now and it takes time to find everything. The 20th amendment is one of what I will be referencing. How the vice president can make himself President was putting it very simply as I said and I should have worded it better but I was in a rush.
    If the electoral collage fails the senate chooses the Vice President, they do it differently to congress, each senator has one vote, so if the Dems have control of the senate they would elect the Vice President and if the GOP wins the senate it's their choice. That's why the senate is an important one to keep an eye on.
    https://constitution.congress.gov/browse/article-1/section-3/

The senate decides who will be the vice president and they will become acting president if the presidential election is not decided by inauguration day

The only way the senate would not be able to elect a vice president is if they are tied

If the senate is tied the sitting vice president on Jan 3rd, Mike Pence could break the deadlock thus making himself the new vice president and then would go on to become acting president Jan 20th

I know that's a big step from saying the vice present will make himself president but when I try to get a load of thoughts out quickly it ends up looking something like that. I don't simplify well

I will answer all the rest later, I will be refencing the 20th amendment and the 25th amendment and there is a law professor who's name I can't think off has made some very important points that congress decided that congressional leaders should assume the presidency and that this could be unconstitutional. This is important in the scenario where the succession of the presidency is contested. I will write it all out properly later with references to the constitution and I'll have to take time to do it otherwise it might all come out back to front.

I will come back to everything I have said, I promise but I do not have the time now and it takes time to find everything. The 20th amendment is one of what I will be referencing. How the vice president can make himself President was putting it very simply as I said and I should have worded it better but I was in a rush.
    If the electoral collage fails the senate chooses the Vice President, they do it differently to congress, each senator has one vote, so if the Dems have control of the senate they would elect the Vice President and if the GOP wins the senate it's their choice. That's why the senate is an important one to keep an eye on.
    https://constitution.congress.gov/browse/article-1/section-3/

The senate decides who will be the vice president and they will become acting president if the presidential election is not decided by inauguration day

The only way the senate would not be able to elect a vice president is if they are tied

If the senate is tied the sitting vice president on Jan 3rd, Mike Pence could break the deadlock thus making himself the new vice president and then would go on to become acting president Jan 20th

I know that's a big step from saying the vice present will make himself president but when I try to get a load of thoughts out quickly it ends up looking something like that. I don't simplify well

I will answer all the rest later, I will be refencing the 20th amendment and the 25th amendment and there is a law professor who's name I can't think off has made some very important points that congress decided that congressional leaders should assume the presidency and that this could be unconstitutional. This is important in the scenario where the succession of the presidency is contested. I will write it all out properly later with references to the constitution and I'll have to take time to do it otherwise it might all come out back to front.

the vice-president does have the deciding vote in the case of a tie in the senate vote for vice-president so he could vote for himself to be vice-president in the event of a tie. That does not mean he would go on to be acting president on jan 20th. that is just plain wrong. the candidate that the house picks will become president on Jan 20th. that much is very clear.

ETA: In my rush to post i missed out some steps. So i will rephrase the above

On Jan 6th a joint session of congress is held where the votes from the electoral college are counted. The VP opens the votes and passes them to 4 tellers who count the votes. The VP announces the next president if there is a majority for one candidate.

If there is a tie in the vote the 20th amendment comes into play. Two votes will then take place, one each in the House and the Senate. The House votes on who should be president and the Senate votes on who should be VP

If there is a tie in the Senate vote then the incumbent VP has the deciding vote on who the next VP will be. So Pence could vote for himself as VP.
    As there is an odd number of representatives in the House then a tie is not possible unless somebody doesn't vote.

So after both the House and Senate have voted (called a contingent election) the two candidates elected by the House and the Senate are sworn in as President and VP respectively on Jan 20th.

Trump has cancelled an election night party at Trump Hotel in DC.

No word on why but they had sent emails soliciting donations to pay for it so it’s quite possible not enough was raised to pay for it and we know that Donald doesn’t have the money to pay for it himself.

Not looking good for the Trump cult.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

No word on why but they had sent emails soliciting donations to pay for it so it’s quite possible not enough was raised to pay for it and we know that Donald doesn’t have the money to pay for it himself.

Maybe the organisers couldn't get enough hydroxychloroquine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Wasn't one of Donnie's disciples on here banging on about this a few days ago saying rooms at the hotel on election night were going for three times the normal rate?

Looks like the big man has taken his supporters for a bunch of suckers again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

It's a long video but Rickards has some interesting points.

• Advertisement

Not correct. If it is not decided by Jan 20th then Congress decides as per the 20th amendment.

https://ir.lawnet.fordham.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=4697&context=flr

Section 2’s strong emphasis on party continuity introduced an important
    concept into the Constitution. In short, presidential succession should not
    shift party control of the executive branch. Whereas previously this idea
    simply made good sense, the Twenty-Fifth Amendment elevated it to a
    constitutional concept.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement