Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Igotadose wrote: »
    But... tax break only works if you're reporting income. That's what I'm missing - they never sold anything or much of anything in this factory. Now, maybe they got some sweeteners at the Federal Level, but right now, it looks like they just threw money down a hole. I don't believe it.

Unless Wisconsin, or the USG, or some combination, actually funded the work. The reporters really should be following the money at this point, they've got everyone convinced the factory is a sham, even the Wisconsin state government.

And, it's a Taiwanese company; did Ivanka get some more trademarks/patents there as a result of Foxconn's influence? Heh.

I guess that's the "boilerplate" part.

If they flagged product as having passed through that facility , then they could include the revenue in the deal.

It may also be that they just hadn't got to that stage of the scam yet. Maybe they had to meet certain date deadlines for "Opening" etc. for the deal to go through hence the empty building with staff hired to just sit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,169 ✭✭✭✭Water John

gmisk wrote: »
    Who would they even run in 2024?
    I am not sure they have another Trump like figure in the wings. Nikki Haley? Ron DeSantis? Hawley? They were at his rallies I think.

Or totally disassociate from Trump? Who would be options then!

There is, he's called Donald Trump Jnr.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

So, say Biden wins in a few weeks. In 4 years, who believes the eventual 2024 GOP nominee asks Trump to speak for him/her on the campaign trail?

More likely to get Bush II out for those purposes, he is younger than Trump (OK, so there is only a month in it, but still).

Trump will be screaming from the background for a couple of years, but in 4 years time both him and Biden will be glad of a comfy chair in a quiet corner of a retirement home for former presidents if they are still around. The media will have no reason to pay Trump any notice after a few months, whatever other media nonsense he gets up to with creating his own network or something the rest of the media can ignore him soon enough.

I wouldn't be surprised if Biden makes it through 4 years he steps down and you then have Harris running against whoever else gets put against her. Would just need Biden to last 4 years so that she could then still be counted as going for the first term in 2024 rather than 2nd if she has to step up beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Water John wrote: »

For all of Don Seniors faults, he does somewhat have some charisma.

Don Junior, is a vacuum of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I think Ivanka has more political ambition than Don Jnr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

In other news, an attempt to bring jobs to the US, to Wisconsin via Foxconn, that the #IMPOTUS directly was involved in, is.... you guessed it... a failure. In fact, it's borderline surreal. I've posted The Verge's lengthy expose that includes things like Foxconn claiming self-driving cars that turned out to be low-end garishly colored golf carts that the few employees actually hired drove around in one of the 2 empty buildings built until the batteries wore out.

https://www.theverge.com/21507966/foxconn-empty-factories-wisconsin-jobs-loophole-trump

Well, some more recent followup, doesn't make things look any better.

"Apparently Foxconn's Wisconsin LCD Factory Is Fake"
    https://gizmodo.com/apparently-foxconns-wisconsin-lcd-factory-is-fake-1845445416

Pythonesque; promised 13,000 jobs, hired 113. Empty buildings, what few employees there were, sat around playing games on their phones and netflixing.

What I don't get, is what Foxconn really got out of this. It's seems illogical that this was their 'plan.' Somehow their backs were being scratched somewhere. I detect the long arm of the WH Admin but no data yet.

The Reply All podcast did a great episode on this whole fiasco 2 years ago, it discusses the funding and what foxconn got out of it as well

https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/wbhjwd

• Registered Users Posts: 32,240 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That dope.

I'd say they would go mad for Ivanka even over him.
    Not Eric or Tiffany? They both seem so bright....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

heh. Another "Hunter" scandal (well, sorta. Don Jr. as a fake big-game hunter)

https://thedailyedge.substack.com/p/the-real-hunter-scandal

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Who would they even run in 2024?
    I am not sure they have another Trump like figure in the wings. Nikki Haley? Ron DeSantis? Hawley? They were at his rallies I think.

Or totally disassociate from Trump? Who would be options then!
    The GOP's 2024 pick will absolutely be a relatively young, white, very christian, attractive mother. Who in terms of bible-thumping will make Mike Pence look like Howard Stern.

Potentially Ivanka, but I suspect the next four years is going to be legally challenging for all of the Trump spawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭banie01

seamus wrote: »

Potentially Ivanka, but I suspect the next four years is going to be legally challenging for all of the Trump spawn.

The mental gymnastics involved in getting the GOP base to vote for a Jewess, and what would be far worse in the eyes of Bible bashers...
    Someone who renounced her Christianity to become Jewish! Will be interesting to watch.

Squaring anti-Semitism and Evangelical nonsense with Ivanka will make for some curious shapes and amazing dissonance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The GOP's 2024 pick will absolutely be a relatively young, white, very christian, attractive mother. Who in terms of bible-thumping will make Mike Pence look like Howard Stern.

Kristi Noem from South Dakota ticks all those boxes.

I'd also suggest that someone like Josh Hawley would be throwing his hat into the ring.

Pompeo also absolutely wants a shot , if he can "get away clean" from the current administration in the event of a Trump loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

But... tax break only works if you're reporting income. That's what I'm missing - they never sold anything or much of anything in this factory. Now, maybe they got some sweeteners at the Federal Level, but right now, it looks like they just threw money down a hole. I don't believe it.

Unless Wisconsin, or the USG, or some combination, actually funded the work. The reporters really should be following the money at this point, they've got everyone convinced the factory is a sham, even the Wisconsin state government.

And, it's a Taiwanese company; did Ivanka get some more trademarks/patents there as a result of Foxconn's influence? Heh.

If I had to take a stab at whats going on, the plant is now their American subsidiary and all fees for production in other plants overseas from American companies (like Apple) will be paid to this subsidiary (at their reduced tax rate for whatever BS flies: new plant opening, plant in a particular area, of a particular size, obviously not for jobs created) and then the cash transferred back to HQ having already been taxed so can bypass local tax laws.
    20Cent wrote: »
    Yeah it's all falling apart. Obama's speech will be really getting to him. Rudy revelation and walking out of a 60 minutes interview. This one will be worth watching. The mute button will get to him as well. All lining up for a live meltdown.

Are they actually doing a mute system for the last debate? Oh man, that will be hilarious viewing watching Trump shrieking and jumping up and down in a tantrum when he is not listened to/muted.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    If I had to take a stab at whats going on, the plant is now their American subsidiary and all fees for production in other plants overseas from American companies (like Apple) will be paid to this subsidiary (at their reduced tax rate for whatever BS flies: new plant opening, plant in a particular area, of a particular size, obviously not for jobs created) and then the cash transferred back to HQ having already been taxed so can bypass local tax laws.

Are they actually doing a mute system for the last debate? Oh man, that will be hilarious viewing watching Trump shrieking and jumping up and down in a tantrum when he is not listened to/muted.

Yes they are, and how he deals with that will be important. Equally important will be how the sound is managed on TV.

If he actually stays quiet, I think the mute helps him. It will artificially suppress the things about his personality that people were so utterly turned off by in the 1st debate.

If however, he goes the more likely route and just talks/shouts across Biden (and if it can be heard on the TV broadcast) it just further damages him with those few and final "undecided" voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Bring back Michele Bachmann, I say. At least God spoke directly to her so we wouldn't have to have his message diluted by other religious leaders who might have their own agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Yes they are, and how he deals with that will be important. Equally important will be how the sound is managed on TV.

If he actually stays quiet, I think the mute helps him. It will artificially suppress the things about his personality that people were so utterly turned off by in the 1st debate.

If however, he goes the more likely route and just talks/shouts across Biden (and if it can be heard on the TV broadcast) it just further damages him with those few and final "undecided" voters.

Fox were interviewing one of the debate officials and in fairness he seemed totally reasonable.

He did mention there was an issue with the perception that some moderators were biased and they were looking to address that in the future.

I don't think there will be any muting malarkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

So, say Biden wins in a few weeks. In 4 years, who believes the eventual 2024 GOP nominee asks Trump to speak for him/her on the campaign trail?

I am hopeful that after January, every one of Trump's public appearances will be marked by a steady chorus of "lock him up!" by a public who remembers his fondness for another version of that particular chant.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

They are having the mics muted, but it's not what we'd think of as a mute button.

Just for their initial 2 minutes each on each topic the other mic will be turned off. there won't be any turning off of the mics to prevent interruptions during any of the rest of the shouting match.

With any luck we get an image of Trump screaming in a perspex box whilst nobody can hear him, or he walks around the screen to get to Bidens mic and Bidens secret service security detail have to take trump down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

As I understood it, it is only the opening statements that involve the muted mics. The debate will have open mics with the inevitable depressing roaring and shouting.

It's mad that they have had to go to these lengths to ensure that the opening statement does not get shouted over by yer man. Ridiculous lack of self control exhibited or a ridiculous scheme to just shout nonsense all the time in an attempt to make a mess of the whole debate. Neither of these reflect well on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

gizmo wrote: »
    Bring back Michele Bachmann, I say. At least God spoke directly to her so we wouldn't have to have his message diluted by other religious leaders who might have their own agenda.
    Whatever happened to that looper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭OS_Head

like i said earlier it is fascinating to see Trumpists get all "concerned" about election meddling at this hour while completely ignoring that Trump is on record requesting a foreign country to meddle and his people are in courts/jail for collusion in past.

Ha, you mean asking Ukraine and China to investigate the Biden family of corruption. It's not the first time a President has asked a foreign power to investigate someone. The Senate believe that he acted in good faith by requesting an investigation. That is all that matters with this. Now did Pelosi et al impeach in good faith or was it just for political gain. I think after they loose the election, there will be some Democrats in the firing line, and it's about time.

A year later and Biden's laptop has surfaced. Turns out, what Trump knew on the Grapevine was true and the Bidens are as corrupt as they come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Whatever happened to that looper?
    Depends on your perspective really, she either didn't seek re-election to her Congressional seat at the end of her term because God didn't give her the thumbs up to run again or she didn't do it because her not running meant the House Ethics Committee investigations against her were dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

gizmo wrote: »
    Depends on your perspective really, she either didn't seek re-election to her Congressional seat at the end of her term because God didn't give her the thumbs up to run again or she didn't do it because her not running meant the House Ethics Committee investigations against her were dropped.
    I'm gonna go with Option B

Fox were interviewing one of the debate officials and in fairness he seemed totally reasonable.

He did mention there was an issue with the perception that some moderators were biased and they were looking to address that in the future.

I don't think there will be any muting malarkey.
    robinph wrote: »
    They are having the mics muted, but it's not what we'd think of as a mute button.

Just for their initial 2 minutes each on each topic the other mic will be turned off. there won't be any turning off of the mics to prevent interruptions during any of the rest of the shouting match.

With any luck we get an image of Trump screaming in a perspex box whilst nobody can hear him, or he walks around the screen to get to Bidens mic and Bidens secret service security detail have to take trump down.
    check_six wrote: »
    As I understood it, it is only the opening statements that involve the muted mics. The debate will have open mics with the inevitable depressing roaring and shouting.

It's mad that they have had to go to these lengths to ensure that the opening statement does not get shouted over by yer man. Ridiculous lack of self control exhibited or a ridiculous scheme to just shout nonsense all the time in an attempt to make a mess of the whole debate. Neither of these reflect well on him.

It's the opening statements for each segment - So each Candidate will (should) have an uninterrupted two minutes to respond to the question posed by the Moderator , once they've done that , the mic's are turned back on and they can both speak/shout freely.

There are 4 segments AFAIK - 15 minutes total for each , so maybe 2 minutes for the moderator to set the scene and ask the question , then 2 minutes each for the candidates to give their response leaving about 9 minutes for open debate/warfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I see. That makes more sense. Hopefully less of a mess than the last one. Can't see Trump even approaching making a coherent answer to anything even remotely challenging. He rarely makes any sense responding to the softball stuff. I'm not 100% ruling out poo flinging at this point.

That there will be muted mics after each question I really can't see him managing to maintain silence for each one. He might be able to do so for the first round, but unless he's sedated during the ad break each time he's surely still going to be raging from the last bit. He'll also not be able to contain himself to the two minutes so the effect of him getting cut off mid sentence about making Mexico pay for locking Hillary up will be glorious.

robinph wrote: »
    That there will be muted mics after each question I really can't see him managing to maintain silence for each one. He might be able to do so for the first round, but unless he's sedated during the ad break each time he's surely still going to be raging from the last bit. He'll also not be able to contain himself to the two minutes so the effect of him getting cut off mid sentence about making Mexico pay for locking Hillary up will be glorious.

Have you ever seen how Biden reacts when confronted with difficult questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭McFly85

Trump has already said that he thinks the debate is unfair. I fully expect him to try to answer every question by mentioning Hunter and then leave early and go back to twitter claiming PRESIDENTIAL HARASSMENT!!!

Tonight won’t even be a debate. It’ll be one man trying to discredit another with outright lies while the other looks on in amazement.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,179 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You could not make it up!
    Alyssa Farah, the White House director of strategic communications and assistant to the president, said expect President Trump to discuss two topics at tonight's debate: China and Hunter Biden

"We need to have a real discussion on China," Farah said Thursday on Fox Business News.
    "And I do think we are going to, whether it's asked or he has the opportunity to bring it up, he is going to get into this issue of Hunter Biden," she said. "The American people need to know if the Biden family in any way is beholden to China."

This is nbc quoting an interview on Fox news. https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/live-blog/2020-10-22-trump-biden-election-n1244210/ncrd1244265#liveBlogHeader

Why would Trump want to get into a discussion on who is beholden to China?

amandstu wrote: »
    Do those drive-in rallies take from his shine if there is so little give and take with the audience?

The rallies are pointless. Makes him look like a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

That dope.

I'd say they would go mad for Ivanka even over him.
    Not Eric or Tiffany? They both seem so bright....

Don Jr. briefly worked as a bar man, has a beard and owns a gun... he is the real America... he is basically Joe six pack

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement