Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone hazard a guess for when the gyms will re-open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Looks like we're back to home workouts if Nphet have their way

FFS... getting ridiculous at this stage, they're getting nowhere and whatever they do isn't working. The gyms haven't caused any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

FFS... getting ridiculous at this stage, they're getting nowhere and whatever they do isn't working. The gyms haven't caused any issues.

We dont actually know that at all though. The contact tracing doesn't get enough detail/go back far enough from what I've read to know for sure. We just haven't heard of any large scale outbreaks traced back to a gym, yet.

Countrywide Level 5 is still bonkers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I really hope they dont close the gyms. I think its madness. Im sure many are operating at a loss as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kamu

If you look at the blueprint for the different Level's, gym's close from Level 4.

I think it is possible that we go into Level 4, but very unlikely to go to Level 5.

I think people forget that NPHET advise is just that, advise; and their purpose is to act solely in the interest of public health without taking economic factor's into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Kamu wrote: »
    If you look at the blueprint for the different Level's, gym's close from Level 4.

I think it is possible that we go into Level 4, but very unlikely to go to Level 5.

I think people forget that NPHET advise is just that, advise; and their purpose is to act solely in the interest of public health without taking economic factor's into consideration.

Either way, gyms close so it's moot whether it's 4 or 5.

With a recommendation to go to 5, I can't see how a move to 4, at least, doesn't happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

She's not in Ireland but my sister picked it up in a gym.
    She is having a rotten dose of it too

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Mars Bar wrote: »
    She's not in Ireland but my sister picked it up in a gym.
    She is having a rotten dose of it too
    I hope she will be ok ...i am sure she will x

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kamu

Either way, gyms close so it's moot whether it's 4 or 5.

With a recommendation to go to 5, I can't see how a move to 4, at least, doesn't happen

Absolutely, I don't see how we don't go to level 4 at some stage. Other countries in Europe has implement na version of a second lockdown, it was only a matter of time before we followed.

Either way, I'll miss the gym and running in this weather will not be pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

Kamu wrote: »
    Absolutely, I don't see how we don't go to level 4 at some stage. Other countries in Europe has implement na version of a second lockdown, it was only a matter of time before we followed.

Either way, I'll miss the gym and running in this weather will not be pleasant.

But our version of 2nd lockdown is yet again the most extreme in Europe.
    The 2nd lockdown in France, Spain has closed bars & restaurants like current restrictions in Dublin & Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Even if they reduced the numbers allowed in the gym for the hour slots available

30 is the max allowed in my gym - tbqh, I'd never seen 30 in there pre-Covid and only once in the last two months or so have I seen it packed, which I wasn't comfortable with but did my thing and got out of there. If they limited it to 15 in the gym it wouldn't affect the gym too much barring the peak periods being spread out to earlier/later times and it would be much safer imo

• Advertisement

D'Agger wrote: »
    Even if they reduced the numbers allowed in the gym for the hour slots available

30 is the max allowed in my gym - tbqh, I'd never seen 30 in there pre-Covid and only once in the last two months or so have I seen it packed, which I wasn't comfortable with but did my thing and got out of there. If they limited it to 15 in the gym it wouldn't affect the gym too much barring the peak periods being spread out to earlier/later times and it would be much safer imo

Hope fully the one I'm using can stay open with the rest of them. They have a max of 30 but I've never seen even 15 people in there. And with Ben Dunne supposedly opening on Thursday this will take a good amount from this current gym. There will be even less in there then and absolutely no health concerns.

Hope fully the one I'm using can stay open with the rest of them. They have a max of 30 but I've never seen even 15 people in there. And with Ben Dunne supposedly opening on Thursday this will take a good amount from this current gym. There will be even less in there then and absolutely no health concerns.

It doesn't matter how safe they are...gyms are closed from Level 4.

It doesn't matter how safe they are...gyms are closed from Level 4.

This is how dumb these restrictions are , it's like using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut.

The country will be full of unfit, unhealthy, pasty, socially inept plebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

This is how dumb these restrictions are , it's like using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut.

That's more than little bit dramatic.. Were you any of these things after the last lock down?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There is a possibility that the government may tone down the advice but it's probably fair to say Dublin gyms will have to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,057 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Will be?
    The country already is and has been for years.

givyjoe wrote: »
    That's more than little bit dramatic.. Were you any of these things after the last lock down?

Nope but I was heading in that direction in the first lockdown, I've recovered now and getting back to good strength / health...Another shutdown for me will be a drastic pull back.

Nope but I was heading in that direction in the first lockdown, I've recovered now and getting back to good strength / health...Another shutdown for me will be a drastic pull back.

As much of a shít sandwich as it is, you just have to make the effort with what you can.

I had signed up for a powerlifting competition, which is in 9 weeks but I can't see it happening but if it does go ahead, I won't be in any state to do it if there's 4 weeks of level 4/5.

But you just have to make the most of what you get.

If you (and I don't mean you directly...just a general 'you') have an interest in staying active, which you have been with a gym, then you make the effort to stay active in the short term. It does mean being a little bit creative but the alternative is doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I was at Westwood Clontarf yesterday afternoon and it was busy as I've seen it since they reopened, but then I usually go before work or at lunchtime so it's quiet.
    Anyway they have groups congregating in the jacuzzi, in the sauna/steam room etc, I would have thought it would spread easily in this scenario. It's mostly groups of younger males that seem to be going to the gym in groups of 3 or 4, spotting each other, zero social distancing. Then like staying in the cold plunge pool together etc. while other people are waiting. Really annoying behavior. I hope they don't close but I can see why they would close them given how people are on top of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,057 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

People in solitary confinement can stay in shape.
    Lockdown means changing your routine, not stopping training.

• Advertisement

As much of a shít sandwich as it is, you just have to make the effort with what you can.

I had signed up for a powerlifting competition, which is in 9 weeks but I can't see it happening but if it does go ahead, I won't be in any state to do it if there's 4 weeks of level 4/5.

But you just have to make the most of what you get.

If you (and I don't mean you directly...just a general 'you') have an interest in staying active, which you have been with a gym, then you make the effort to stay active in the short term. It does mean being a little bit creative but the alternative is doing nothing.

I did as best as I could at home, using bands, HIIT routines and tabata stuff. But as most people who lift in gyms know, there is no substitute for a well stocked gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

I did as best as I could at home, using bands, HIIT routines and tabata stuff. But as most people who lift in gyms know, there is no substitute for a well stocked gym.

I'm doing bench presses with dumbbells, while lying on garden furniture in the shed. Better than not doing it at all ... I hope.

Last Wednesday Dr Ronan Glynn 'optimistic' about Dublin stabilising but 'no evidence yet' to move to Level 2 .....

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-level-3-2-5218585-Sep2020/

Unfortunately we didn't see much improvement in the Dublin numbers since Wed ......... there's huge complacency out there though, many folk simply aren't doing their bit at all.

I'm doing bench presses with dumbbells, while lying on garden furniture in the shed. Better than not doing it at all ... I hope.

I neither have a garden, bench or dumbbells. No room for a bench and dumbbells are insanely priced, even if you can get one close to being ordered.
    I agree with what you say though, better than doing nothing at all.

I did Tabata stuff, got fitter but lost muscle, quickly too

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

That's me already!!!

I neither have a garden, bench or dumbbells. No room for a bench and dumbbells are insanely priced, even if you can get one close to being ordered.
    I agree with what you say though, better than doing nothing at all.

I did Tabata stuff, got fitter but lost muscle, quickly too

I don't have a bench or dumbbells either. I got a sandbag and different resistance bands. Got handles for using with the heavier bands as well.
    Oh and push up handles. They were a good addition and my bench held up pretty well.

Of course it's not the same as a gym but you can certainly maintain a decent level of strength without a lot of equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Looks like Lvl 3 for the whole country so gyms stay open but only for individuals

Looks like Lvl 3 for the whole country so gyms stay open but only for individuals

Yeah, no classes.
    Classes like spinning etc seem like lunacy to me tbh.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

In Dublin....as you were...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Augeo wrote: »
    Yeah, no classes.
    Classes like spinning etc seem like lunacy to me tbh.

Ah! Is that what that means? So you can go to the gym and train, just no classes? That'll be alright for me anyway. But I just started taking Taekwondo classes and I presume they will be off now during level 3 restrictions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement